As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Oh, [chat] is a place on Earth.

• Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    That must be some thread, to have all those Awesome posts in it and all.

EDIT: Top of page May the Fourth be with you.

Form of Monkey! on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    All in favor of removing the Awesome function from the forum, say aye

aye

aye

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    is there some sort of exponential decay of excitement and the avengers movie?

like i've been pumped for years that this movie would be a reality and today I am kind of

"meh. i'll see it in a few hours"

but my FB is on fire with people gushing over it. is it the new hip thing? to be excited about avengers? am i less excited because it's so hip? oh god.

steam_sig.png
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    BobCesca wrote: »
    Congrats on the residency, Kalkino.

Thanks Bob!

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Deepest condolences Kalkino.

You're stuck as one of us now.

is there some sort of exponential decay of excitement and the avengers movie?

like i've been pumped for years that this movie would be a reality and today I am kind of

"meh. i'll see it in a few hours"

but my FB is on fire with people gushing over it. is it the new hip thing? to be excited about avengers? am i less excited because it's so hip? oh god.

no, see, it's acceptable to be BOTH ironically excited by the avengers and legitimately excited by it

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I'd really like to try some organized ArmA some time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di8MSY09Upk

• KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Leitner wrote: »
    Deepest condolences Kalkino.

You're stuck as one of us now.

I'll get on to writing letters to the Daily Mail and Telegraph ASAP.

First topic: "Time to rethink "Welcome Mat Britain?"!

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    i'm not excited about the avengers

i don't intend to see it tonight or at all this weekend (i'm working anyhow)

if i go to see it at all (questionable), it'll be on tuesday at the earliest, because that's cheap movie day

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Morning chateritos. Got's a replacement for my busted brobox so I am now back up a running. :) Now if only the kiddo hadn't taken ME3 to a friends house last night for a sleepover. -_-

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I just had an idea for an alternate universe ironman:

Tony Stark is a poor redneck mechanic from the deep south. He builds his suit out of old washing machine and car parts in order to fight social injustice. It is painted with a big confederate flag.

He will be called

"Iron Mang"

I want you to all know that you're being hipsters about the Avenger's movie.

Dirty, dirty hipsters.

No amount of argumentation will change my mind on this matter.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I did not hear about avengers until i played a videogame about them at Haps' place last year. I guess I'm not American or something

Aldo on
    I was gushing about the Avengers movie before it was cool. (Before it came out in America)

Winky wrote: »
    I just had an idea for an alternate universe ironman:

Tony Stark is a poor redneck mechanic from the deep south. He builds his suit out of old washing machine and car parts in order to fight social injustice. It is painted with a big confederate flag.

He will be called

"Iron Mang"

Sounds good! He can fight evil with the help of Captain 'Mmerica, who is basically the same guy as Captain America, since he was born in Alabama in 1982 instead of Manhattan in 1920.

i just

the trailers don't really excite me

there's too much CGI, it just looks so much like the Transformers movies

i don't really like joss whedon and don't really care for the way he writes dialogue, so if the action is leaving me out in the cold the dialogue's all i have and for that i get

fuckin' joss whedon

the movie looks boring

it just does

the trailers and marketing have not excited me at all, and if that fails then the odds of me seeing a movie are extremely low

it's getting a lot of good word of mouth, and a lot of good reviews, and that's heartening

but then i read things like
    "The Avengers" is done well by Joss Whedon, with style and energy. It provides its fans with exactly what they desire. Whether it is exactly what they deserve is arguable.

and i'm like :?

i am ambivalent to the existence of an Avengers film in the first place, it's not some "dream movie" for me to see these characters up on the big screen or some shit, so i was not an instant ticket and the marketing needed to sell me on the idea that i wanted to see this movie

it has not done so

contrast this with the movies leading up to the Avengers, all of which i have seen and in two cases (Captain America and Iron Man) i got really excited about and in another looked sorta interesting and was a decent enough little thing on its own merits (Thor and Incredible Hulk)

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    The Associated Press ‏BREAKING: U.S. says Chinese activist has fellowship at American university, expects China to allow travel soon

So that's happening.

Lh96QHG.png
    I have yet to see anyone who enjoyed the other Marvel movies who hasn't enjoyed the Avengers, Pony, so it might still be for you.

I'll have a better idea once I actually get the chance to see it!

For what it's worth Pony, the true meat of Avengers is the character interaction. If that's what you like in a movie, I don't anticipate you being disappointed by it.

The Associated Press ‏BREAKING: U.S. says Chinese activist has fellowship at American university, expects China to allow travel soon

So that's happening.

Is that the blind guy?

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

So that's happening.

Is that the blind guy?

I guess so.

I haven't really been following the story, so I'm not sure what he's done to make it so important that we save this one guy and not the millions of other people across the planet.

But some people in Chat were quite concerned about it the other day so I thought I'd update.

Lh96QHG.png
    I have yet to see anyone who enjoyed the other Marvel movies who hasn't enjoyed the Avengers, Pony, so it might still be for you.

right, like you would think i would like this movie, on paper

i liked all of the preceding movies, except Iron Man 2 which was kind of a turd

i even really liked Edward Norton's Hulk movie

but god did the trailers of the Avengers turn me off

i watched them and this was the face i kept making: :?

i've seen a lot of positive word of mouth but that word of mouth, while positive in its intent, keeps saying things that just turn me off further

Haha, I just read Roger Ebert's review

It is so much
    neeeeerd.jpg

For what it's worth Pony, the true meat of Avengers is the character interaction. If that's what you like in a movie, I don't anticipate you being disappointed by it.

character interaction written by pithy asshole Joss Whedon

see

this is the problem

the action looks like overwrought CGI Michael Bay Transformers bullshit, based on the trailers and stuff

the dialogue is written by Joss Whedon, whose work largely makes my skin crawl

i feel like there's nothing here for me except for some hot dudes!

Pony wrote: »

right, like you would think i would like this movie, on paper

i liked all of the preceding movies, except Iron Man 2 which was kind of a turd

i even really liked Edward Norton's Hulk movie

but god did the trailers of the Avengers turn me off

i watched them and this was the face i kept making: :?

i've seen a lot of positive word of mouth but that word of mouth, while positive in its intent, keeps saying things that just turn me off further

What specifically is turning you off? Maybe we can confirm or deny it.

It sounds like he's just not a Whedon fan, so it might be best to wait for DVD on this one.

Lh96QHG.png
    Holy shit, that Galaxy S III launch event actually manages to make Apple's launches look humble and dignified in comparison.

Actual quote from an unnecessary speech that followed music from an unnecessary orchestra: "It's designed for humans."

Hahahaha, fuck you, Samsung.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Avengers is the best movie Marvel produced so far. Better than Iron Man (which I liked a lot), a lot better than Thor (which I did not like as much as many), and better than Cpt. America (Where I felt Cpt. America was never in real danger).

The 3D is meh but doesn't actively hamper it, the opening third is relatively weak, but the action is great, the characters are all great the story is simple but decent, they give every superhero an 'approriate' challenge.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    Pony wrote: »

character interaction written by pithy asshole Joss Whedon

see

this is the problem

the action looks like overwrought CGI Michael Bay Transformers bullshit, based on the trailers and stuff

the dialogue is written by Joss Whedon, whose work largely makes my skin crawl

i feel like there's nothing here for me except for some hot dudes!

Maybe it's because I've never devotedly follow Whedon's work or paid much attention to him, but his inclusion never bothered me.

SanderJK wrote: »
    Avengers is the best movie Marvel produced so far. Better than Iron Man (which I liked a lot), a lot better than Thor (which I did not like as much as many), and better than Cpt. America (Where I felt Cpt. America was never in real danger).

But is it better than Marvel's Howard the Duck (1986)?

It sounds like he's just not a Whedon fan, so it might be best to wait for DVD on this one.

that's sorta where i'm at here. i don't hate the film (i find it ludicrous to hate a film you haven't seen), but it holds no real appeal to me and i'll probably wait till it's on DVD to watch it

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    What stuff has Joss Whedon done?

SanderJK wrote: »

But is it better than Marvel's Howard the Duck (1986)?

This is a rhetorical question right

Nothing can beat DuckTits.

Organichu wrote: »

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Firefly
    Cabin in the Woods

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Buffy, Angel, Dollhouse, Firefly on TV

Serenity on the big screen, scriptwriter for some of the X-men movies, and Alien: Ressurection (script later heavily rewritten)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I liked Cabin in the Woods quite a bit.

Firefly and Serenity
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel
    Dollhouse
    Dr Horrible
    Was a writer on Toy Story

• LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular

The seminal Aliens Resurrection.

X-Men 3.

I thought Cabin in the Woods is fantastic, and imo Whedon has grown a lot.

He's definitely the kind of person that you either really like or violently hate.

i also haven't seen Cabin in the Woods, because A) I'm not in the mood anymore for horror movies, or self-aware wink winks at horror movies, at this point in my life and B) joss whedon

This discussion has been closed.