As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[RIFT] ALL NEW ALL DIFFERENT (kinda the same though) THREAD OF RIIIIIIII

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I love the way that it's polished, and the class design is a customization wet dream. The Rifts give an element of "randomness" to your travels to keep things interesting.

However, I can't get it to work with XFire on my Radeons, and like any MMO, it's entirely dependent on having people to play with. The reason I stopped playing after launch was that my RL friends stopped; I kept on until the end of my Sub, but solotimes get boring in any MMO.

Houn on
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    The Something Awful guys are a hoot and a half to play with, and they're especially chill. If you're looking for a group to jump in with, they're your guys.

Otherwise, there's any number of guilds around that are doing low-level content and such.

And 1.8 just hit! Check out the Guild Finder!

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Not out in Eurostan yet. :(

edited April 2012
    Was anyone around for the earth/fire invasion last night? I went from level 8 to 10 just defending a wardstone, lol.

Also, this spec is stupid easy for low level questing:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zwvs.xbc.0c.-5

Life Leech, Dark Touch, Necrosis, Essence Link, tab to next target and repeat. I've chained as many as 15ish or so mobs without even going below 75% HP/MP.

Houn on
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Leveled my Warrior to 50. The one thing I noticed when I hit 50 was that there is a lot of stuff to do end game compared to other games.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    There's a metric everything to do! First thing: decide why you like playing Rift. Is it the PVP or the PVE?

-If it's PVP, start doing Warfronts and never stop. It'll take you a while to get to max Prestige level but you'll get there eventually. Spend the Favor you gain through WFs to buy better armor/weapons, and advance that way. That's it.

-If it's PVE, congratulations! You picked the fun part of Rift! The raid and dungeon encounters in this game are top notch.
    -Get 200 Hit, Focus, or Toughness.
    ---Complete the Endless, Water Cult, and Ember Isle saga quests for some sweet gear. Ember Isle in particular gives raid-level pants that, if I'm not mistaken, count as part of the raid set. As a new 50, this should be a pretty big jump in power for you.
    ---You can also get guild members to make you runes.
    ---Another good power boost right off the bat is to purchase the transplanar gear from the zone event merchants. There's pieces in Shimmersand, Ice Pine Peak, and Stillmoor. You'll be at or close to 100 hit/focus after buying these.
    ---Do Expert dungeons while doing all of this. Opt for the Marks of Ascension at the end of each dungeon, they'll be more useful to you than the Plaques of Achievement.
    ---Do invasions and the weekly invasion quests. You'll need those inscribed sourcestones.
    -Go on raids.
    ---The single fastest way of gearing up is raids. Most guilds having Greenscale's Blight and River of Souls on farm, and can drag you through each in the span of 1-2 hours. If you get lucky, you can completely gear up through these. There aren't set bonuses for this gear, but set bonuses won't really start to matter until you get to HK level.
    ---Once you have 200 hit, you can also go on the 10-man raids, like Golden Prophecy and Drowned Halls. It's a tad harder for you to be carried through these, but you'll do fine. Learn the fights, get loot.
    ---Buy the raid token gear once you have enough. When you start raiding, I'd start going for the Greater Marks at the end of dungeons, instead of the regular Marks. They'll do you better for...
    -Get 300 hit and join a guild who has HK beaten or are trying to beat HK.
    ---Remember all those Inscribed sourcestones you were getting? Use them to buy lesser planar essences from the Water vendor in Meridian. You'll need the water resist they provide to take out Akylios et al in HK.
    ---Getting 300 hit will take you maybe 3 weeks of gearing up through raids, provided drops aren't completely awful. Once you're there, you're ready to raid HK. The fights here are tough but fun.
    ---You can also go to Rise of the Phoenix but its still hard as balls sooooo

Hope this helps. Endgame Rift is fun as hell.

@hoodiethirteen
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Do you sheeple still play this game

2x39jD4.jpg
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Haven't played it in about a month, been busy powering through SWTOR. Also, TERA.

@hoodiethirteen
    Kwoaru wrote: »

This is the best worst troll post of all time. No, seriously! I mean, let's deconstruct this; it opens with a scathing "sheeple", a term used most commonly used to negatively label your target groups as being incapable of independent thought, followers of larger societal trends due to an inability to question a perceived authority and a desire to be accepted as a member of the majority. However, it then flows directly into a "still play this", an insult used to belittle a group for their backward and luddite ways, for they have proven incapable of keeping up with the cool, the hip, and the now.

So, which is it, Mr. Kwoaru? Are we mindless followers of the herd, or are we lost and lagging behind it? Or do you simply need several years of solitary study in one monastic order or another until you are ready to once again walk in the light and warmth of a sun that shines only for those whom can string together a complete and internally consistent insult?

Because if you're going to do something, do it right.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Kind of a stupid question:

Talents that grant you hit aren't factored into your Hit rating on your character sheet, right?

How much hit would you say they're worth, number-wise?

EDIT: Derp, think I found it. Unless the formula's changed, it's .2% = 1 hit. So the Marksman talent maxed out at 3% is 15 hit, if I'm doing this right.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Talents that grant you hit ARE factored into your charactersheet hit number. Early in the 50-game, they can be helpful when reaching 200 hit, but once you have that then respec and spend those points somewhere else, if you've got a better place for them.

@hoodiethirteen
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    If you're a rogue, offer to be a bard for Gilded Prophecy and Drowned Halls. You can score some great gear by being a bard since it doesn't require as much hit rating really. I got away doing the bard stuff with 100'ish hit.

The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
    edited April 2012
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    Talents that grant you hit ARE factored into your charactersheet hit number. Early in the 50-game, they can be helpful when reaching 200 hit, but once you have that then respec and spend those points somewhere else, if you've got a better place for them.

That's the thing, I don't think they are... or the character sheet is just slow to update, since when I switch from my Marks to Bard spec I still have 244, and I'm pretty sure I don't have a hit buff in my Bard spec.

I'm assuming it's not supposed to, since the Marks hit buff isn't full hit, just with ranged weapons.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Huh. It's been a while since I tooled with those talents, but that's how I remember it working... Particularly because when I was gearing up my warrior I had to cheese the LFD tool with a hit-increasing spec so that I could jump in with my actual spec. But that was months ago. Maybe that changes?

@hoodiethirteen
    Yeah, I think LFD actually does takes it into account if it's spec-appropriate.

I'm assuming warriors don't have to worry about the divide between ranged hit & melee hit, so their talents might just lump it all in on the stats screen.

persona4celestia.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Well, there is no ranged/melee hit. Hit is hit.

edit: OK, actually looking at the Marksman tree, that's a weird talent that I dont remember seeing, but whatever. That's not going to be included on your character sheet for increases.

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
    man fuck it i dont even know anymore

ive been through the soul trees on zam and cant find a single +hit talent, but i swear to god i remember seeing one

is it warrior

aaaaaaaah fuck it

@hoodiethirteen
    Also, the planar gear is not worth buying. It's a waste of planarite and ISS.

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    man fuck it i dont even know anymore

ive been through the soul trees on zam and cant find a single +hit talent, but i swear to god i remember seeing one

is it warrior

aaaaaaaah fuck it

It's in the Champ tree.

Also Pally has it.

No one used it, but things might be different in 1.8

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    planar gear was too worth it

shut up

it looked awesome, its worth it for the look alone

@hoodiethirteen
    Most of the planar gear appearance can be found through other means. The cost of the planar gear when you take into consideration how much inscribed sourcestone farming you have to do is nuts. Especially when you look at how much ISS you need for your sigils/source engines.

Yeah, ISS costs are nuts. I want it for the looks, but eh.

At least some of those items share models with crafted stuff. I can farm 80 plat way faster than 600 ISS or whatever it takes to get the robe.

Wait, are you talking about the transplanar gear you buy for like 200 ISS a piece?

i am definitely not talking about that, jesus christ

@hoodiethirteen
    edited April 2012
    Well, with all the xp pots you get and rested xp and group xp bonuses, gear is damn near worthless as you level unless you're tanking. So I thought you were talking about lvl 50 stuff, lol.

SkyCaptain on
    God no

I mean the blues you can buy from the planar gear merchants in IPP, SM, and SS for an ISS pittance. Like, 5 or 10 per. It's a decent jump so you can be better geared in Experts.

@hoodiethirteen
    I didn't even bother with the level 45 transplanar gear. I went straight into level 48+ normal mode dungeons, got way better gear from a few runs there, and then headed into experts.

Still haven't tried healing an expert, because I want to get rid of my last non-50 items first.

• MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    hey! Me and @Zelkova are playing! We would like an invite to the endless court! We are Lloye and Zelkova in-game.

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
    You'll need to message someone in game, I suspect. I don't think anyone but Malkor still plays in TEC.

@hoodiethirteen
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    Message Monsterzero, he's the de-facto main officer right now

Also Warlee quit and Scavin moved on to another guild, in TEC news, and now the raids are apparently pretty civil and stuff. haven't gotten into ID yet, though

i might start playing some again when they do

reposig.jpg
  • MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    @Fandyien It says Monsterzero does not exist. Maybe it's just an offline thing. Ill keep trying.

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    I forgot to add they're on Deepwood now

you can also try over at www.theendlesscourt.com

they're workin' on getting fire cores together for ID inbetween HK runs right now, so it's a good time to try to join. i'll tell my buddy monster to be on a look out for someone tryin' to join

reposig.jpg
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    @ultimakay was kind of enough to give me his free code from PAX East, and I'm having fun. It seems very polished, I like the class system.

I hooked up with The Endless Court, and while they are fine gentlemen, I don't think there are many PA people there apart from @Monsterzero. And unsurprisingly after a year, the guild is in full raiding mode at the moment. (If I understand correctly, they're working on the final boss of the second hardest dungeon?). It's a big and active guild though, and playing in the US from the EU doesn't add much lag that I've noticed.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    Wait, they're STILL on Akylios?

H... how? He ain't THAT hard. I swear, TEC is full of some of the crappiest raiders ever. There's zero reason they should still be stuck on Akylios after flailing against him for the last 3 months.

@hoodiethirteen
    Maybe they had a lot of turnover on end game geared players.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So I jumped back in to this to kill some time and I have one question.

Can you no longer pick your starting souls? It seems when I make a new character I have a choice of just 4 templates.

I know that later on I get access to all kinds of souls and can change them out whenever, but I would like to start with the souls I want.

edit- Oh nevermind. I have found that you have access to all the souls right of the bat. Handy.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Yeah, that surprised me too when I rolled a new mans.

The Pyromentalist build for mages is great for leveling.

Who wants to play The Secret World while they play Rift? Cause that's what we may be getting, at least in terms of 3-faction PvP or RvR and ARGs.

@hoodiethirteen
  • Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular
    I still have my subscription active for this, just haven't had any real time to be on. Work + CFA + online courses = my ass is kicked.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    I must say that I'm impressed by Trion, they keep on adding relevant and new content to RIFT.
    More stuff on the three-faction update:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/23/enter-at-your-own-rift-conquest/
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/23/enter-at-your-own-rift-conquest/

steam_sig.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    sigh

If only this was announced like, three months ago.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.