As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oh, [chat] is a place on Earth.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Avengers is the best movie Marvel produced so far. Better than Iron Man (which I liked a lot), a lot better than Thor (which I did not like as much as many), and better than Cpt. America (Where I felt Cpt. America was never in real danger).

But is it better than Marvel's Howard the Duck (1986)?

This is a rhetorical question right

Nothing can beat DuckTits.

Even better is that that happens like 2 minutes into the movie.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I thought Cabin in the Woods is fantastic, and imo Whedon has grown a lot.

He's definitely the kind of person that you either really like or violently hate.

I think he's fine.

So your theory is destroyed!

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I thought Cabin in the Woods is fantastic, and imo Whedon has grown a lot.

He's definitely the kind of person that you either really like or violently hate.

I think he's fine.

So your theory is destroyed!

Well to be honest I feel similarly. He has some things that I really love and some things that were atrocious so he kind of balances out in my mind.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    and minutes away (presumably) from tendering my two weeks notice.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Man, whatever you think of the Falklands dispute, I can't help but think Argentina is acting like a petulant child about it.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    and minutes away (presumably) from tendering my two weeks notice.

*bites fingernails*

• Options
    I mean, If I was determined to pursue a course of irredentism, I'd actually try undermining Britain's argument by making the islanders want to be Argentinian, not just try to sidestep it.

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    and my boss is here. time to do this i guess.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    joss whedon has been responsible for some shows i like

like firefly and angel and dollhouse

but those shows were at their best when he stepped back and wasn't writing or directing them

a while back a friend of mine argued with me about this, so i checked this out by going through wikipedia and figuring out which episodes of whedon's shows were written by him and which were written by other people (tim minear, ben edlund, jane espenson, etc.)

compared that to what episodes i liked and did not like and on average

i did not like the parts of joss whedon's shows that he himself wrote or directed

but apparently i'm a big fan of tim minear? like a lot of my favorite parts of those shows were tim minear episodes

so there's that, i guess

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Hey there [chat]

how are we all doing today?

sig.gif
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Organichu wrote: »
    What stuff has Joss Whedon done?

Firefly and Serenity
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel
    Dollhouse
    Dr Horrible
    Was a writer on Toy Story

Wrote that one line in X-Men that everyone cringed at.

Wrote Astonishing X-Men

Mim on
  • Options
    Mim wrote: »

Firefly and Serenity
    Dollhouse
    Dr Horrible

The Juggernaut one?

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Firefly and Serenity
    Dollhouse
    Dr Horrible

The Juggernaut one?

No.

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning?"

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    Pony wrote: »

but those shows were at their best when he stepped back and wasn't writing or directing them

a while back a friend of mine argued with me about this, so i checked this out by going through wikipedia and figuring out which episodes of whedon's shows were written by him and which were written by other people (tim minear, ben edlund, jane espenson, etc.)

i did not like the parts of joss whedon's shows that he himself wrote or directed

but apparently i'm a big fan of tim minear? like a lot of my favorite parts of those shows were tim minear episodes

so there's that, i guess

I went ahead and just did this myself and I actually do find that a lot of my favorite moments in Firefly weren't written by Joss Whedon.

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Firefly and Serenity
    Dollhouse
    Dr Horrible

The Juggernaut one?

"What happens when a toad gets hit by lightning...the same thing that happens to everything else"

edit: he didn't mean for it be said as seriously as it was, so he understood the hate for the line.

Mim on
  • Options

Firefly and Serenity
    Dollhouse
    Dr Horrible

The Juggernaut one?

No.

"Do you know what happens to a toad when it's struck by lightning?"

I actually liked that line in a "That's why I'm gonna kill you last" kinda way.

• Options

so there's that, i guess

I went ahead and just did this myself and I actually do find that a lot of my favorite moments in Firefly weren't written by Joss Whedon.

see!

nerds give him a lot of credit for his TV shows but when people start talking about their favorite moments or bits of dialogue or characters

a lot of those aren't joss whedon!

he just gets credit for them, and that's sorta dumb!

• Options
    oh god i woke up with a vicious stomach ache

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    i finally have an idea what it must be like to have an addiction.

had a few sips of my first Red Eye and once it cooled I took a proper drink from the cup. The sensation was magical to say the very least. I don't know where this has been all of my life but it sure as hell had better stay in it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    i finally have an idea what it must be like to have an addiction.

had a few sips of my first Red Eye and once it cooled I took a proper drink from the cup. The sensation was magical to say the very least. I don't know where this has been all of my life but it sure as hell had better stay in it.

when i took my first percocet for my broken ankle, i immediately thought "oh my god drug addiction makes sense". it was a terrifying moment as i immediately wondered "how the fuck am i gonna stop taking these"

• Options

so there's that, i guess

see!

nerds give him a lot of credit for his TV shows but when people start talking about their favorite moments or bits of dialogue or characters

Granted, I don't think his episodes were bad, and he didn't do anything absolutely terrible (like the Heart of Gold episode), but I see how you could definitely argue that he gets more credit for those shows than he's due.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Weird, I always figured people give Whedon too much credit, but turns out he wrote my two favorite episodes of Firefly.

/shrug

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    and it's done. boss told me i had actually been one of the higher paid ones in the group but yeah, that's not a consolation for being underpaid overall.

• Options
    the thing that rustles my jimmies most about joss whedon is that

his characters tend to sound like joss whedon characters

when they are joss whedon characters, because he created them and they fulfill his typical checkboxes of archetypes, it's not as glaring

when he's writing characters that were created and established by other people, and they start talking with his typical rhythms and turns of phrase?

it drives me up the fucking wall

his run on astonishing x-men is by far the most glaring instance of this, and that particular issue is something that makes me "meh" about the Avengers

because i don't want to see Iron Man and Cap sound like pithy joss whedon characters

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
  • Options
    and it's done. boss told me i had actually been one of the higher paid ones in the group but yeah, that's not a consolation for being underpaid overall.

well, out with the old, in with the new! drinks are on... you, i guess.

do you have to move for the new position?

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

when they are joss whedon characters, because he created them and they fulfill his typical checkboxes of archetypes, it's not as glaring

when he's writing characters that were created and established by other people, and they start talking with his typical rhythms and turns of phrase?

his run on astonishing x-men is by far the most glaring instance of this, and that particular issue is something that makes me "meh" about the Avengers

because i don't want to see Iron Man and Cap sound like pithy joss whedon characters

I think Robert Downey Jr Iron Man can work with Whedonisms, though. I haven't seen the film so I can't speak to Cap, but the clip with Loki and Stark was pretty cool.

But if you're not a fan of Whedon I can't see dropping cinema dough on seeing this one.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

if you preorder it, you can play it right now.

it's on STEAM, too.

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular

This is how I feel about Bendis.

• Options

Well, on the one hand they were written by Joss Whedon, but on the other hand Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans and the like are strong characters on their own, so I'm imagining that they're going to be bringing a lot of themselves into the character perhaps overpowering some of the flavor.

This is speculative, I haven't seen the movie yet either :P.

• Options

so there's that, i guess

see!

It's kinda similar to Gene Roddenberry. Sure he devised the universe we follow, but he certainly didn't write the best episodes, and he was actually quite the silly goose behind the scenes.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Great, now I've got that song from Team America: World Police stuck in my head after reading Winky's redneck marvel creations.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    Not that silly geese can't write awesome stuff. Harlan Ellison can be cantankerous, but he gave us City on the Edge of Forever, among many other things.

• Options

This is how I feel about Bendis.

yes, jesus christ Bendis has this issue in SPADES

Bendis, Millar, and Whedon are by far the worst for this

to a lesser extent Warren Ellis is guilty of this but when Warren is writing mainstream comics (like his run on Astonishing X-Men following Whedon's), the fact that his characters can't drop "cunt" and "shit" in every other sentence pushes him to change it up a bit

but Bendis is absolutely guilty of making all characters do Bendis-Speak

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    this is relevant because I am watching a ton of TNG lately!

does Deep Space Nine or Voyager run concurrently with TNG? Am I ruining anything by watching the episodes out of order?

steam_sig.png
  • Options

so there's that, i guess

see!

It's kinda similar to Gene Roddenberry. Sure he devised the universe we follow, but he certainly didn't write the best episodes, and he was actually quite the silly goose behind the scenes.

right

my favorite Star Trek series (DS9) was the one Gene had nothing to do with

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular

does Deep Space Nine or Voyager run concurrently with TNG? Am I ruining anything by watching the episodes out of order?
    DS9 had a few episodes that ran concurrently with TNG, but nothing significant.

You may be ruining some things by watching the episodes out of order, but not a ton.

• Options

I'll use the in-universe years to make this simpler:

TNG runs from 2364-2370
    DS9 runs from 2369-2375
    Voyager runs from 2371-2377

Start DS9 after the TNG episode "Chain of Command". Voyager can start during Season 3 of DS9.

• Options

well, out with the old, in with the new! drinks are on... you, i guess.

do you have to move for the new position?
    don't have to but i'm going to. I get to be back in the loop of houston, which is a great place. much better than the clear lake burbs. also if i stayed here the commute would be truly brutal. also also, my fiancee's mom has a house in houston and she's gone most of the time because she's a flight attendant so i'm going to be using it as a crash pad during the work week.

I'll likely be a home owner soon, which i've fought against for years but it's probably finally the right time to do it.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular

DS9 does, a little. But DS9 is very arc-based (in that the past exists in it) and TNG is episodic. You'll lose nothing by watching TNG 'out of order', and many people have devised "best TNG experience" charts

This discussion has been closed.