As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Trailers] Solidifying Iron-Clad Opinions in 2:30 or Less

• EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Mechanical web shooters leave me with just one burning question.

Why the fuck doesn't Peter just start a company, sell the web material and use large chunks of the money he makes to donate to charities? He could still Spider-Man it up, but if great power truly means great responsibility, then Peter has the responsibilty to use his intellect to provide the world a cheap, super strong material that can benefit humanity in dozens of ways, in addition to being able to generate tons of money for charity. On top of enabling his vigilante activities.

Doesn't that stuff dissolve in a matter of hours? Also, going public with the webbing might out him as spiderman, and put his fam/friends in danger.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »

Why the fuck doesn't Peter just start a company, sell the web material and use large chunks of the money he makes to donate to charities? He could still Spider-Man it up, but if great power truly means great responsibility, then Peter has the responsibilty to use his intellect to provide the world a cheap, super strong material that can benefit humanity in dozens of ways, in addition to being able to generate tons of money for charity. On top of enabling his vigilante activities.

Doesn't that stuff dissolve in a matter of hours? Also, going public with the webbing might out him as spiderman, and put his fam/friends in danger.

It's not a permanent substance, but that doesn't mean it can't be used for a variety of things. It doesn't stop Pete from using it after all.

And if everyone can buy it, why can't Spidey? Especially if Peter uses that so called high intelligence of his to come up with this plan of action BEFORE he jumps up to "beat up bad guys by myself."

I think I may just not be a fan of the Spider-Man concept.

• Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Why are people happy about mechanical web shooters? The organic web-shooters are waaaaay more sensible. A preference for mechanical is a preference for comic-book tomfoolery and purposeless slavery to the source material..

Cause real spiders don't shoot webs out of their hands. And I don't need to see Peter Parker spewing his bodily fluids everywhere.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    "I don't want comic book tom foolery in my movie about a teenager who becomes a super hero mutant by being bitten by a radioactive spider."

It must be really tiring to be so contrarian all the time.

The webshooters are a spidey staple, it was weird that the Raimi movies didn't have them.

That's like wondering why people are happy that Spock uses a phaser in the new Star Trek instead of shooting lasers out of his eyes due to alienbiology.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I think mechanical webshooters bring up too many logical inconsistances, to the point where it breaks my suspension of disbelief for the genetically and/or radioactive spider-bite victim. Try to denigrate it by labeling it "contrarian" if you want, but that's my god's honest opinion. It's one thing for the science to be all goofy in a comic book movie: it's another when the characters are being illogical within the framework of that goofy comicbook science.

Undead Scottsman on
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I think mechanical webshooters bring up too many logical inconsistances, to the point where it breaks my suspension of disbelief for the genetically and/or radioactive spider-bite victim. Try to denigrate it by labeling it "contrarian" if you want, but that's my god's honest opinion. It's one thing for the science to be all goofy in a comic book movie: it's another when the characters are being illogical within the framework of that goofy comicbook science.

I don't understand what's illogical about the science nerd building a very simple device to shoot webs when he has SPIDER POWERS.

Seriously, if web shooters bother you but radioactive spider bite doesn't you need to get your priorities straight.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I say we compromise: the web shooters are actually a series of tubes going from the web dispenser in his ass to his wrists.

I support this compromise. Peace with honor in our time.

Lh96QHG.png
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Peter Parker built his web shooter in a cave....with a box of scraps! :P

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    I thought in the new Spidey movie, he didn't invent them, but his Dad left them for him?

I don't think anyone knows.

Because the movie hasn't come out yet.

Lh96QHG.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    The organic shooters made sense in the first series, because they really downplayed the whole "Peter is also a genius" thing and it would be pretty inconceivable for a high school kid to just throw those together.

I think (at least in Ultimate Spider-man), Peter's dad had a hand in building either the shooters or the webbing or both, so since they're having Peter investigate his dad's mysterious Oscorp past in this one it makes sense to have the mechanical ones.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Yeah, in the original comics Peter was a very hyper intelligent young man, but that just gave him the engineering know-how to invent the shooters themselves.

The actual formula for the webbing was part of his spider powers. It's like he had the knowledge to create the enzyme or material used in webbing, but not the ability to produce it naturally, hence the web shooter and the knowledge to make it all work.

Honestly everything about Spider Man was 60's comic plot hole. He was fortunate enough to be brilliant and know how to make tiny dispersion devices, and spider powers gave him the ability to put webbing in them, and spider sense gave him the ability to magically jump off a building and fly around town without cutting off his arms after slamming into a glass window.

My only gripe with Spider Man, ever, is the costume.

The entire purpose of his spider powers is that he's got those little tiny follicle claws that help him grab onto buildings and stick to walls, but he wears boots and gloves, rendering that useless. I think they've explained it a few times over the years, but a fingerless glove spidey would be much more realistic.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    were the claw-hairs in the comics? I thought they just came up with that for the first movie.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    were the claw-hairs in the comics? I thought they just came up with that for the first movie.

He could stick to buildings, and that was an organic trait he got from the spider bite. I don't know if they specifically said "claw hairs" in the 60's, but they did reference it as being organic and not like psychic or just good balance or whatever.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    The organic web shooters were sweet, what the hell guys

Godfather wrote: »
    The organic web shooters were sweet, what the hell guys

I honestly had no problems with them, but I do like the mechanical ones better.

Except when like 4 years ago every issue of ASM was "Oh Peter, you forgot to refill your web shooters again and you're broke so now you've got to fight without them....Poor, poor broke unemployed Peter..."

I'm so glad that asshole got a real job...

They were all right, I got used to them fairly quickly, but complaining that the mechanical ones are silly is so beyond sense to me.

Lh96QHG.png
    It was a little weird that he's this technological genius but a recurring plot point is that he's dirt poor. I mean, Reed Richards doesn't sell his inventions either but it's never a plot point that he's having trouble making the rent on the Fantastic Tower or whatever that building is called.

It was a little weird that he's this technological genius but a recurring plot point is that he's dirt poor. I mean, Reed Richards doesn't sell his inventions either but it's never a plot point that he's having trouble making the rent on the Fantastic Tower or whatever that building is called.

Well, it was in the Fox movie, but yeah. Also Richards in comic world has grants out the ass because most of his stuff goes to the Government.

I don't get how Parker has remained dirt poor for so long. He had to have been getting paid by stark for being an Avenger... HAD TO. I mean at one point Stark had to be drunk and just look to Parker and go "you know what kid, here's like 5 million dollars. have fun!"

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Peter hasn't been broke for a while now. He's got a good job and everything, and he's actually making money off his inventions. You guys should really read Big Time.

Also, if you think organic webshooters are less logically inconsistent than mechanical ones, you're being myopic. They're both based on science fiction that barely holds up in the real world.

Centipede Damascus on
    I wasn't arguing that either were really too illogical.

I was arguing that picking this as your last battleground is pretty silly.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

That'd make his civilian identity a target were he still being Spider-man. It wouldn't be difficult for super-villains to make a connection that Spider-man uses that company then they'll go after Pete, either to interrogate or kill him (and/or take over or shut down the company). Guys like Kingpin or Green Goblin may be smart enough to connect Pete with Spider-man, as well.

The organic shooters made sense in the first series, because they really downplayed the whole "Peter is also a genius" thing and it would be pretty inconceivable for a high school kid to just throw those together.

I think (at least in Ultimate Spider-man), Peter's dad had a hand in building either the shooters or the webbing or both, so since they're having Peter investigate his dad's mysterious Oscorp past in this one it makes sense to have the mechanical ones.

No, in the Ultimate universe Pete's dad & Brock's dad are responsible for creating
    the Venom symbiote to cure cancer.

Actually, Reed isn't a good businessman. IIRC they got kicked out of the Baxter Building for not paying rent on time. That said, he still gets hands on cash to build his crazy inventions though it's never explained how. Maybe SHIELD, Iron Man or Avengers fund him behind the scenes or something in exchange for R & D.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    In Waid & Wieringo's Fantastic Four, Reed says he gets paid a lot by other tech companies just to keep his tech off the market. Reed would rather tinker with stuff than worry about running a company, so he's fine with that.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Comic Spider-Man doesn't have the hair on his fingertips.
    The Spider-Man entry in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe states that Spider-Man is able to enhance the flux of inter-atomic attractive forces on surfaces he touches, increasing the coefficient of friction between that surface and himself.

Comics!

• AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    The reason the organic webshooters are less silly than the mechanical ones is because they just come from the spiderbite, whereas the mechanical ones require that he possesses the unique genius and resources to invent the webshooters. Spiderlike mutations from mutant spiderbite? Sure. High school student with the chemical know-how to invent miracle webbing and the mechanical know-how to invent tiny durable accurate shooters for the webbing? Ehhhh...

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Spider bite giving you powers: Impossible. But OK!

Webshooters: Unlikely as hell, but possible. DOES NOT COMPUTE!

See, that just doesn't make sense people!

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    On the web shooters, I can go either way. *insert winky as needed*

On one hand, it ties back to the cartoon from the 90s (?) that I grew up with and loved, and the comics which I also enjoyed, but didn't have as much experience with.

On the other hand, they're pretty much exclusively used for two reasons; to show how smart he is (and while I don't think he's in the top 5 Smartest Guys in the Marvel Universe, I'm pretty sure he's top 10 or 20 at worst) and to provide "oh noes, I'm running low/out of fluid!" for tension in the second/third act.

Then again, I believe it was Spider-Man 2099 that went with organic shooters a good decade and a half+ ago, so it's not baseless even in comic continuity (of the character overall), and it doesn't break my suspension of disbelief, given the massive physical changes already present.

So.. yeah. I'm not on the edge of my seat for this one, but if I'm honest, I'll probably check it out if just to see how good/bad it is in comparison to the last 3 (and in certain areas, the bar is admittedly not set very high). Which, I admit in advance, is likely at least part of what the distributor is hoping for. Sure, yes, having people see it a dozen times like Titanic or Avatar is nice for sales, but even just getting everyone who caught the others back in for a ticket apiece has got to add up, considering the previous box office and dvd sales.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Aurich wrote: »
    The reason the organic webshooters are less silly than the mechanical ones is because they just come from the spiderbite, whereas the mechanical ones require that he possesses the unique genius and resources to invent the webshooters. Spiderlike mutations from mutant spiderbite? Sure. High school student with the chemical know-how to invent miracle webbing and the mechanical know-how to invent tiny durable accurate shooters for the webbing? Ehhhh...

Peter is meant to be a scientific prodigy. That was territory Riami wanted to avoid. IIRC he wanted Spider-man to feel more like a mutant, that's why he had the the spider bite on his hand to make him a freak and had organic webs.

So if Peter had never gotten bitten, would he still have invented these webshooters? The webbing itself is a technological marvel. You don't even need to use them to swing around (assuming you couldn't get it to work right without spider-strength/reflexes/spider-sense); just give every cop a webshooter instead of a taser for immobilizing criminals.

edited May 2012
    So if Peter had never gotten bitten, would he still have invented these webshooters? The webbing itself is a technological marvel. You don't even need to use them to swing around (assuming you couldn't get it to work right without spider-strength/reflexes/spider-sense); just give every cop a webshooter instead of a taser for immobilizing criminals.

No, he'd have no reason to. The only reason the web-shooters were needed was so he was able to travel quickly while being Spider-man and for offensive purposes. He would have invented other gadgets, though. Ironically this path might have made him closer to Osborn, who could have been his scientific mentor at OsCorp.

Harry Dresden on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I thought the spider bite also caused him to have a breakthrough in how the chemicals interact or something, and it is really amusing that people are bitching about unrealistic web shooters given that every single fucking character in spider man uses unrealistic technology

laser swords, lightning wrists, flying vulture suit, hologram cubes

It's possible people just don't like the source material

override367 on
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    I was a bit peeved that the trailers for Batman and Spider-man at my local Avengers showing were the same ones that have been out since the beginning. Like, the very first trailers. Maybe it was different in 3D? But then I saw the movie and I didn't give a flying fuck about the trailers anymore.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

No, in the Ultimate universe Pete's dad & Brock's dad are responsible for creating

Your wrong. His dad did both. The webshooters were derived from a formula his dad had been working on.

Also yeah Peter hasn't been dirt poor for a long time. Maybe you guys shouldn't make so many assumptions regarding comics. Peter was a College Professor for a long time and for a few years real life time has been a member of a Think tank that granted him good money, flexible hours and the ability to create gadgets he needed.

Quire.jpg
    edited May 2012

Your wrong. His dad did both. The webshooters were derived from a formula his dad had been working on.

...that means I was right!

edit: sorry, I misread your first sentence as saying "you're both wrong."

KalTorak on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Aurich wrote: »

In the Marvel Universe there are people with flying mechanical suits that shoot laser beams, laser guns of every possible description, magic, aliens, etc.

A brilliant high school kid who can invent web shooters isn't beyond the pale.

And anyone who goes to a comic book movie and complains about something not being realistic gets zero sympathy from moi.

There's a difference between suspension of disbelief and internal consistency, but it's probably big enough for its own thread.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The thing is, I've read Spider-Man cover-to-cover and for goodness sake no one cares or will ever care about his biological parents. It's boring, they're boring, they're barely even part of the story. They're a reason he was sad as a kid.

Edit: I like mechanical shooters because they externalize his internal conflict well. In no way is he serving the world better as Spider-Man than he would as a scientist (until you know the world-saving that inevitably arises as a hero gets used in more stories but whatever), yet his blinding responsibility means he doesn't have time to do anything but fling out there right the heck now and fix it because what if something goes wrong and he could have helped?! So like, probably spending time using his amazing brain to do amazing work would be a bigger plus for humanity, but the first nearby car crash with a fatality and he'd want to slit his wrists. Web shooters he built showcase that he can do that scientific work, but he applies it to such a small field of endeavor it only showcases his priority blinders.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
This discussion has been closed.