As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TESO] Probably better than a Cliff Racer hunting sim.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I don't care if it's ElderWoW.

Just give me DAoC's PvP system.

Fuck maybe I'll just re-up my DAoC sub. Do people still play that?

Try looking into GW2's WvW. 3 servers fighting it out on 4 huge maps.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »

Key word server and not race based factional PvP.

488W936.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    There's so little information, there seems nothing to even get excited or disappointed about.

An MMO is about it's gameplay and design far far far far more then it's about it's setting.

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    There's so little information, there seems nothing to even get excited or disappointed about.

An MMO is about it's gameplay and design far far far far more then it's about it's setting.

I agree. I am a pretty big fan of Star Wars, but TOR wore out for me fairly quick. I did enjoy it while it lasted, but now I'm taking a break from it indefinitely.

I'll certainly be interested to hear what they are doing with this when they actually give us proper info.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »

Whoa really? I figured it would be race based. That's... really cool.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    Corehealer wrote: »

Whoa really? I figured it would be race based. That's... really cool.

Cooler than that, but you can skim through Core's OP on the Guild Wars 2 thread to find information on it. Check the PvP section.

This game... if that Game Informer article's to be trusted, then I'm gonna set my expectations fairly low on this one. It's not even Bethesda making it. Yeesh.

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Well...it's a standard MMO. I have completely lost interest. It's pretty much like all the others based on the EQ gameplay formula but set int he Elder Scrolls universe. They didn't even make it classless like the real Elder Scrolls games. It's not action based at all either.

Cabezone on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Well...it's a standard MMO. I have completely lost interest. It's pretty much like all the others based on the EQ gameplay formula but set int he Elder Scrolls universe. They didn't even make it classless like the real Elder Scrolls games. It's not action based at all either.

None of that was in the GameInformer announcement linked to earlier. Do you have a source?

• CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Yeah...the full article:

imgur.com/a/fO9Ty#5

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    I was kinda confused by the visual style but then someone said it uses the SWTOR engine which makes sense I guess?

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Don't remind us.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    The screenshots just look so generic. Without the text, I would've thought it was a new DnD game.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    What a wasted opportunity.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    Third person with hotbar driven combat...

Nobody wanted this.

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Somehow, Zenemax managed to take everything that people said in this very thread that they didn't want the game to be, and put it in the game.

I am disappoint.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Third person with hotbar driven combat...

Nobody wanted this.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Are we going to add this to the growing list of big name studios that took a single-player experience we all loved dearly, and then promptly shit the bed with it.

Next thing you know, we're going to get Fallout: Online annouced, with crisp cartooning graphics and a "revolutionary" bread-crumb driven quest engine. Never wander the wasteland aimlessly again!

EDIT: Also, this.
    Hewn wrote:
    People want to play these games TOGETHER. Yet they always, and I mean always, think of a way to split people up.

Stop designing massively multiplayer games that grind up the playerbase so much, everyone just says "Fuck it, I'll solo".

ironzerg on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Cross posting this from DnD chat but this is how I see it.

I just dont care either way. Seems weird though that when making an Elder Scrolls mmo you take most of the Elder Scrolls out of it. Especially when its PC only which I would dictate as the more hardcore ES crowd.

Also I am worried that a game that is slated for release within 18 months, Game Informer was not actually demoed the game, and the screenshots seem to only show humans, maybe some elves?

EDIT also for a 2013 MMO, I expect some actual depth to the ground textures when there should be.

screenshot_282255_thumb_wide940.jpg

bloodyroarxx on
    Just finished reading the entire article...I'm not sure what name was dropped more often, Elder Scrolls or World of Warcraft.

I desperately want to see an ES online done right. After reading that article, I have very, very low expectations for this. Seems they started building it in 2007, when WoW was hot-to-trot, and just like ToR turned into WoW-in-Space (plus some minor tweaks), I can't help but feel like this is World of Elder Scrolls Online (But we're different, we promise!).

edited May 2012
    I finished the article too.

Summary: Most of the iconic features of Elder Scrolls gameplay are just too hard to impelement in an MMO, so have some World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2 instead.

And yeah, those are some tremendously shitty graphics. I am seriously wondering if they're trying to get this out on consoles and are designing to that spec.

Scosglen on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    Looks crappy, man.

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Unlike WoW, the ES world has already been realized in great detail. That gives them less leeway in making a game. I'll bet they adjust for that by have a major disaster or time jump. They need something as an excuse to not have the world exactly match up to the previous games.

It's set a thousand years before Skyrim.

Krathoon wrote: »
    Unlike WoW, the ES world has already been realized in great detail. That gives them less leeway in making a game. I'll bet they adjust for that by have a major disaster or time jump. They need something as an excuse to not have the world exactly match up to the previous games.

It's not a lore thing. It's a mechanics thing. They're basically keeping the lore, while changing all the mechanics to be WoW, because making an ES MMO is, like hard and stuff.

Making a first person MMO is very hard, yep. Shit it having keybind elements wouldn't even be the worst thing, as long as you could still manually attack/block/etc. This isn't going to go over well at all =/.

I'm assuming that's sacrasm, my beary good friend. Because, EQ, right?

Or most MMOs ever, seriously the funny thing is GW2 is the first one in a while that hasn't let me just zoom into first person. Well, TERA too zooming in is also a function of turning off the UI.

• steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Just read http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=472749 and the list managed to put this game in the /shrug pile for me.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
    Recreateing the freedom Elder Scrolls players expect within the World of Warcraft-style mechanics Zenimax Online is using for this MMO would be impossible without changing the way that players interact with the world."

No fucking shit. So here's a nice, juicy nugget of wisdom. Don't use World of Warcraft-style mechanics.

That tips free. I'm charging for the next one.

And to the general board members, I apologize for the profanity...but, this is just too much.

• SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    This is all so disappointingly generic.

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Recreateing the freedom Elder Scrolls players expect within the World of Warcraft-style mechanics Zenimax Online is using for this MMO would be impossible without changing the way that players interact with the world."

No fucking shit. So here's a nice, juicy nugget of wisdom. Don't use World of Warcraft-style mechanics.

That tips free. I'm charging for the next one.

And to the general board members, I apologize for the profanity...but, this is just too much.

No apology need. I think the initial thought everyone had was either "Why?" or "Cautiously optimistic". Sadly though, upon reading the GI article screen grabs, I pretty much feel the same way you do. Square peg meets round hole.

I have no problem continuing to follow the development of the project just out of sheer curiosity, but the article doesn't paint something that I'd purchase Day 1, and possibly pay a sub for.

Decoy on
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Read the article as well, and it looks like a money grab. They kept saying 'pushing boundries', but stuck with the bland and generic methods WoW has already tested. Classless systems are too hard, player housing is too hard, skill based is too hard, vampires and werewolves are too hard, real time combat is too hard... It seems like everything that is fun and interesting about the Elder Scrolls is just 'too hard.' How the fuck is that 'pushing boundries'?

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Wonder if they will make classes or use the Skyrim system of getting skill points through use.

ironzerg wrote: »

This was the exact thought going through my head as I read that part of the article.

Oh we couldn't really keep the freedom that has basically defined the Elder Scrolls games if we aped WoW mechanics, so what we're going to do is ape WoW mechanics.

Brilliance in motion.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Wonder if they will make classes or use the Skyrim system of getting skill points through use.

Article already said: They are having classes.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    edited May 2012
    And what further grinds my gears is that quote somewhere in the article about MMO players expecting WoW mechanics in an MMO.

And you want to talk about getting my goat? They've basically said, "Hey! We're doing an ES MMO! But since doing that would be really hard, we're just going to copy WoW and paste it over the ES maps!"

I mean, based off the quotes from that article, that's essentially what they're doing. Throw in a laundry list of features that AREN'T implemented, but the team WOULD LOVE to implement, and you have the perfect recipe for a piece of shit money grab that goes free to play before it even leaves beta.

This is the kind of absolute shit MMO development that should make ALL gamers stand up and shout, "Are you fucking kidding me? No. Go back and start again."

ironzerg on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    http://elderscrollsonline.com/ has a CGI teaser trailer up with zero gameplay footage. It's essentially just a voice over and the game informer cover.

edited May 2012
    Ironzerg, I believe you are referring to this quote:
    "It needs to be comfortable for people who are coming in from a typical massively multiplayer game that has the same control mechanisms, but it also has to appeal to Skyrim players. You want to hit those touchstones, but more important than that, you've got to create an experience that's unique and fun."

It's right at the beginning of the article and, for me, pretty much set the tone for everything to come.

Really? It has to play just like WoW for MMO fans to play it? Have the plethora of WoWalikes that have come along and failed since you started development on this game not been any clue that this isn't the case?

Toxic Pickle on
    Even worse, if you read the article they mention that is has to specifically feel like WoW. If I wasn't already frothing mad at this shit, I might be able to calm down enough to skim the article again and pull out that quote.

• SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Wow, I don't the developers were expecting this kinda backfire. I kinda feel sorry for them, seeing as they did start development on this game when most people weren't burnt out playing traditional MMOs. But then again, traditional MMOs need to start failing if we are ever going to see some change in this area.

I hope for their sake that this game has something that puts it apart from the competition.

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, it must be sad to come out of your cave and start throwing around "...just like WoW!" without realizing that those words are so far on down on the list of things people want to hear about "next-gen MMOs" that the turtles at the bottom of the world can't even see them.

It's a harsh lesson, but a lesson that must be learned. God willing, the framework is flexible enough that they can turn this Titanic around before it hits the iceberg.

ironzerg on
This discussion has been closed.