As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] Buttoneering 2012: Events Schedule Updated!

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Zaedus wrote: »
    I've just got my pax tickets and I want to get into buttoneering this year for sure. Unfortunately I live in Canada and purebutton's shipping to my frozen country is expensive.
    '
    Does anyone know of any good places here in Canada to order some buttons from?

Thanks in advance! I'm currently working on some designs.

You can always try to find a kind soul in the states that is willing to take shipment for you.

• Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    Looks like the Wife and I have buttons!...they are ordered. I'll post the images later. I just hope 150 is enough given the speed of sellouts:)

• Options
    Sleepy KittySleepy Kitty Registered User regular
    I think I still ahve something like 50 buttons left over from 2010.....

is it faux pas to reuse them? lol

I'll possibly probably still be in on this, and I think ecco is planning on as well! Just need to figure out designs!

In the past previous years buttons have been used as : A - bonus buttons B - buttons for non buttoneers C : for anyone that did not partake in last years buttoneering or who may have missed yours last year ..

So yes bring them along :)

• Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    Reading through this makes me think I should do a button too, not sure what to put on it though...

• Options
    I've just got my pax tickets and I want to get into buttoneering this year for sure. Unfortunately I live in Canada and purebutton's shipping to my frozen country is expensive.
    '

Uhm, I haven't looked at this years prices but for the last 3 out of 4 years hubby has done the button thing, and last year I finally got in on it and purebuttons had very reasonable rates to us in Toronto Ontario Canada.

• Options
    FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    This sounds like fun. Will have to find somewhere here in Canada that I can get to make some up!

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular

I'll possibly probably still be in on this, and I think ecco is planning on as well! Just need to figure out designs!

Go ahead! Be sure to put them up on the site for this year so people can still mark off when they collected them.
    '

Just to reiterate what was already mentioned, if you can find someone here in the states that is going to PAX, have them shipped to your friend instead. It's a great way to do it, and a pretty common tactic.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    ZaedusZaedus Registered User new member
    edited May 2012
    Awesome, Thanks for the advice.

Zaedus on
  • Options
    '

From what I can see PeoplePowerPress.org and Sixcentpress.com were selling them for good rates. Plus they don't ding you like crazy on the shipping. I have not actually ordered from either of these companies so not sure if there are hidden costs, but some names for you anyways.

• Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    If you know what hotel you're staying at, another option for international people is to get the order shipped to the hotel. If you do this, you'd want to order about a month before the con, and tell Purebuttons that you're doing PAX and want the package to arrive around that time. They will know what you're talking about. Then call the hotel and say you're getting a package shipped there.

I've done this twice and it's always worked out, just make sure the name on the package is the name of the main person who reserved the room.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    Just curious, but how many buttons would you recommend I bring? This is my first PAX so I have no idea what to expect. I am pretty shy, but I think this would be a great way to meet people. That said...I don't want to order 500 buttons and come home with 450 of them. :D

• Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    Fenrisfang wrote: »
    Just curious, but how many buttons would you recommend I bring? This is my first PAX so I have no idea what to expect. I am pretty shy, but I think this would be a great way to meet people. That said...I don't want to order 500 buttons and come home with 450 of them. :D

This depends: do you want to give buttons out to everyone you meet, or are you mostly thinking of trading with buttoneers?

I'd say 250 is a good "I'm super ambitious and want to give out buttons to pretty much everyone I meet" number. That's what I went with my first year, and it's a moderate investment but guarantees you won't run out. I ended up being left with maybe 50 after PAX, and I was a bit stingy with them on the first day.

That said, if you don't plan on handing 'em out as if they were business cards, 100 usually suffices for first timers, though there is a chance you'll run out.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    Ok methinks I will continue buttoneering for the third year in a row. My mind is awhirl with the possibilities.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

In the past previous years buttons have been used as : A - bonus buttons B - buttons for non buttoneers C : for anyone that did not partake in last years buttoneering or who may have missed yours last year ..

So yes bring them along :)

Hahah i still have Bonus Buttons from 2010 too.

Once I find the old designs I'll put them up on the site thing. Once I figure out this years design i'll do that too.

• Options
    FalkalaFalkala Registered User regular
    I've seriously always wanted to do this, time to launch into Photoshop to make a personal button!

• Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    Fenrisfang wrote: »

This depends: do you want to give buttons out to everyone you meet, or are you mostly thinking of trading with buttoneers?

I'd say 250 is a good "I'm super ambitious and want to give out buttons to pretty much everyone I meet" number. That's what I went with my first year, and it's a moderate investment but guarantees you won't run out. I ended up being left with maybe 50 after PAX, and I was a bit stingy with them on the first day.

That said, if you don't plan on handing 'em out as if they were business cards, 100 usually suffices for first timers, though there is a chance you'll run out.

This is a great answer, I agree with everything she said. :) I had 100 buttons my first year and ran out, and had 250 last year and had about 50 or so left at the end of the weekend - and I mainly traded with Buttoneers, I didn't really give them out. This year I plan to have 250 of my main button and I'm going to have 100 of my bonus button (which will be related to my (and my husband's) buttons from last year), and figure that will do nicely.

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    2012 - The year I make my return to button trading.

< devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    heels wrote: »

WHAT. PRD and heels? This is bananas.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Knight_ wrote: »
    heels wrote: »

WHAT. PRD and heels? This is bananas.

Delicious, wonderful bananas.

• Options
    thedragongemthedragongem Registered User regular
    I have this thing for dragons!
    dgb.png
    2012.png

badge.png
  • Options
    I guess I should fit this in to the OP somehow...

The presentation of the buttons last year.
    IMG_20110828_112525.jpg

• Options
    PrincessCleoPrincessCleo Registered User regular
    Seriously thinking about doing the buttoneering this year. This will be my fourth PAX and I want to participate more in the side events this year, and I have several ideas for buttons floating around in my head.

• Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    jonxp, do you want me to handle the button collection and board creation again this year? :)

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    alegria wrote: »
    jonxp, do you want me to handle the button collection and board creation again this year? :)

Well, I'll be sitting at the BYOC security desk, the same as every year. I can handle the button collection aspect if you can do the board.

EDIT: Though, nothing is going to top 2008: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0BOt4sGoZs

jonxp on
  • Options
    Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Buttons!!! WOOOOOOO! I'll have to post pics of my collection so far. I'm thinking my leftovers from last year will be my bonus this year and I'll have to come up with something awesome for my new one.

This was mine last year:
    IchiButton.png?1311145135
    I was distributing with the ramen guy ;)

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    Oh jonpx I just loved that! It was my first PAX and it was brilliant to be part of it!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    Tar3820 wrote: »
    Buttons!!! WOOOOOOO! I'll have to post pics of my collection so far. I'm thinking my leftovers from last year will be my bonus this year and I'll have to come up with something awesome for my new one.

This was mine last year:
    IchiButton.png?1311145135
    I was distributing with the ramen guy ;)

Oh this is a button we did not get last year .... must try to find you this year so it can get added to last years button vest.

• Options
    eMDeeeMDee Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Last year was my first year as a Buttoneer and I'll definitely be doing it again. The problem is where I want to put my buttons. Last year, I used Thinkgeek's 42 towel (an idea I borrowed from Brenna CeDria) and it worked out pretty well. I just need to think of what I want to do for this year's button... oh, and I'll probably get 200 buttons this time around because I ended up running out.

The unorthodox and the unlikely - it's what I do, it's what I'm good at.
  • Options
    eMDee wrote: »
    Last year was my first year as a Buttoneer and I'll definitely be doing it again. The problem is where I want to put my buttons. Last year, I used Thinkgeek's 42 towel (an idea I borrowed from Brenna CeDria) and it worked out pretty well. I just need to think of what I want to do for this year's button... oh, and I'll probably get 200 buttons this time around because I ended up running out.

Hubby uses a vest , I use a shoulder bag .. some people use their lanyards , PAX East scarf

• Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    jonxp wrote: »
    I guess I should fit this in to the OP somehow...

The presentation of the buttons last year.
    IMG_20110828_112525.jpg

Ok someone's gotta tell me where I can drop off my button for this thing this year... I somehow missed it the last 2 years...
    Where was the drop off table last year again?

Awesome, Thanks for the advice.

I live in Canada too and what I find works really well is having the buttons shipped to your hotel.
    If you notify the hotel a package is coming for you, they will usually hold it for you in advance until you arrive.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    I'd not thought of shipping to my hotel, what a good plan, it will save £££ AND customs duty on them coming to England!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    CovetCovet Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Mostly done! I'll be making a few minor updates, but this is essentially it. I'm going to apologize in advance for being a high maintenance buttoneer. :)

Main Button
    PAX_1_Final_2012.jpg?1336230435

Bonus Button #1
    PAX_2_Final_2012.jpg?1336230457

Bonus Button #2 (because I had to, you understand)
    Button_Final_2012.jpg?1336229284

Covet on
  • Options
    CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    '

you can have them delivered to your hotel if you'd like, just call them up and tell them you have a package on it's way to the hotel, and you will pick it up when you check in.

• Options
    helen0rzhelen0rz Registered User regular
    wow, that sounds really cool and interesting. Being a first time Pax attendee, I'm also slight confused about this:

How does one pick another participant out in a crowd? Do you look for...buttons? Do you wear your buttons so others can know who you are? This means if I were to participate, I'll have to carry all of my buttons around to trade, correct?

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • Options
    ash97470ash97470 Registered User new member
    edited May 2012
    Covet wrote: »
    Mostly done! I'll be making a few minor updates, but this is essentially it. I'm going to apologize in advance for being a high maintenance buttoneer. :)
    Main Button

Bonus Button #1

I <3 yours! I saw the first one and thought, "OMG! Is that what I think it is?" Then saw the second one and thought, "ZOMG!!!ITIS!!!IWANTTHATBUTTON!!!" then I saw the third one as was all, "Damn her...why didn't I think of a button button??!?!?!$^#$%^&*#)$(" ...that is all.

ash97470 on
  • Options
    helen0rz wrote: »
    How does one pick another participant out in a crowd? Do you look for...buttons? Do you wear your buttons so others can know who you are? This means if I were to participate, I'll have to carry all of my buttons around to trade, correct?

There have been a few replies to this already, you may want to scroll through the thread to see what other people have suggested.

Things that have worked for me:
    • Wear several copies of your own button visibly on your person (hat, bag, scarf, etc). This helps differentiate you from the people picking up buttons from the booths.
    • Look at the buttons uploaded to buttoneering.org so you know which buttons to look for.
    • Don't be afraid to approach people and ask if they're a buttoneer. I prefer using the word "buttoneer," rather than asking for buttons, because you'll know immediately by their reaction if they know what you're talking about.
    • Attend the post-PAX meetup in front of the convention center.

• Options
    bkrobinbkrobin Roseburg, ORRegistered User regular
    ash97470 wrote: »
    Main Button

Bonus Button #1

I <3 yours! I saw the first one and thought, "OMG! Is that what I think it is?" Then saw the second one and thought, "ZOMG!!!ITIS!!!IWANTTHATBUTTON!!!" then I saw the third one as was all, "Damn her...why didn't I think of a button button??!?!?!$^#$%^&*#)$(" ...that is all.

Heh...oops, I used my husbands account for that last comment!

• Options
    edited May 2012
    bkrobin wrote: »
    ash97470 wrote: »
    Main Button

Bonus Button #1

Heh...oops, I used my husbands account for that last comment!

hehe, I'm hoping to order enough so any buttoneer who wants a full set will get one (providing you do what it takes to earn the bonus button(s)). If you miss me during the show, I'll be at the meet up afterwards. There have been many iterations of button buttons, that just happens to be mine. Don't let that discourage you from making your own! Every one I've seen has been different and super awesome!

Covet on
  • Options
    helen0rzhelen0rz Registered User regular
    There have been a few replies to this already, you may want to scroll through the thread to see what other people have suggested.

Things that have worked for me:
    • Wear several copies of your own button visibly on your person (hat, bag, scarf, etc). This helps differentiate you from the people picking up buttons from the booths.
    • Look at the buttons uploaded to buttoneering.org so you know which buttons to look for.
    • Don't be afraid to approach people and ask if they're a buttoneer. I prefer using the word "buttoneer," rather than asking for buttons, because you'll know immediately by their reaction if they know what you're talking about.
    • Attend the post-PAX meetup in front of the convention center.

Thank you VERY much!

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • Options
    EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    To all those asking about being recognized:

I do all the things other posters have mentioned like wearing a lot of my own buttons (I use one of those string backpacks as my dedicated button catcher) and ask random people with lots of buttons about 'Buttoneering'.
    But one of my most effective strategies last year was getting Big Red's ginormous Lemon Button to display on my person. Even non-buttoneers want to know how they can get it, then you have a way to let the general public in on the game.

By the by, my Creeper Bonus Button will be making a comeback. Anyone can get this button by sacrificing an item of their choice from their swag bag.
    The Creeper was quite pleased with last years haul and can't wait for more destruction.

[IMG]http://media.buttoneering.org/production/pictures/191/thumb/button 2.png[/IMG]

3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
This discussion has been closed.