As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Do you like dags? Let's talk about Dogs. I'm naming mine Jack McCoy

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I think when my husky gets a little older, I may be looking into getting a golden to keep her company. They're just so puuuuurty!

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    At the moment my wife and I are out of the house from 7am - 6pm, so having our own dog would mean having a dog that could cross its legs for 11 hours.

We make do by looking after Guide Dogs when the opportunity arrises. We live around the corner from the head of the centre for the North West and we've become his emergency contact when one of the other boarders goes on holiday, or there's a dog not doing well in kennels, or one is poorly.

I hope these pictures work, I'm just pulling them off G+.

wilson.JPG
    We had Wilson for 12 weeks as he finished up his training.

amber+(2).JPG
    We had Amber for a few weeks whilst she finished off her training.

byron+(5).JPG
    Byron had a skin condition that he developed at another boarder's house, so he came to us for a change of scenery to see if it would clear up.

smeaton+(1).JPG
    Smeaton we had over Christmas because his other boarders went away and he really hated being in kennels.

hattie+(8).JPG
    Hattie was the most recent, and we only had her a week. Her boarder was sick and couldn't take her / pick her up from the centre.

It's strange having a dog for a few weeks and then giving them up again, but it helps to know that they're going off to help someone. Plus, labs are awesome dags.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    man, I don't know how you can keep taking them in and then giving them up

good on you

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    They're usually only around for a week or two. The big exception was Wilson who was here for 12 weeks, but that's a rare occasion where the trainer also lived around the corner from us and she could pick him up in the morning and drop him off on her way home.

You just have to think of it that they're going off to help someone live their life in a way that they couldn't before, or continue living their life in a way they've gotten used to when an old dog is being replaced after 7/8 years. Even the ones that fail the tests and don't become Guide Dogs go off to either be disabled assistance dogs or help acclimatise blind kids to having dogs around.

It does suck, but usually there's a new dog to play with within a couple of days.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Vimes is the best name for a good, scrappytough dog.
    You can make his ridiculous silly dog show name Duke of Ankh-Morpork, Commander of the Watch, too.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i have da puppy dog!

well my parents do!

This is Piper:
    piper-1.jpg

she's a purebred Border Collie.

We had 2 borders when I was little, brother and sister (Cowboy and Heidi). When Heidi finally left us, we got a Border/Beagle mix named Nessie. And then we got Piper.

Piper is a fun loving doggy who does not like men in hats. At all. She hides under the table.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    man, I don't know how you can keep taking them in and then giving them up

good on you

yeah holy crap

i would be all a'sob erry day

plus those dogs are so cute i want em all

ALL

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    i have da puppy dog!

well my parents do!

This is Piper:
    piper-1.jpg

she's a purebred Border Collie.

We had 2 borders when I was little, brother and sister (Cowboy and Heidi). When Heidi finally left us, we got a Border/Beagle mix named Nessie. And then we got Piper.

Piper is a fun loving doggy who does not like men in hats. At all. She hides under the table.

Good for her. She can then dance when she wants to with the men without hats.

Hunter on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I have one of these hairy chihuahuas but hairier, because the daddy was a Papillon.

duke21a.jpg

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Yaaaay dog thread.

Dog thread I have a question.

I am slowly considering getting a dog. Problem is, my living situation is not ideal for a lot of kinds of dogs right now. I live by myself in a duplex. I have no backyard, small, unfenced front yard. My job is such that I work days, I can work from home sometimes, but other days I am gone for up to 9 hours. Because of the no real yard, any activity is going walking or a trip to the dog park. So something that needs a lot of activity isn't really going to work. I don't have much problem with hair, though I'd prefer something that doesn't shed like crazy.

captaink wrote: »
    Yaaaay dog thread.

I am slowly considering getting a dog. Problem is, my living situation is not ideal for a lot of kinds of dogs right now. I live by myself in a duplex. I have no backyard, small, unfenced front yard. My job is such that I work days, I can work from home sometimes, but other days I am gone for up to 9 hours. Because of the no real yard, any activity is going walking or a trip to the dog park. So something that needs a lot of activity isn't really going to work. I don't have much problem with hair, though I'd prefer something that doesn't shed like crazy.
    BASSETT-HOUND-BEACH-FACE.jpg

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Well now I'm just scared

Basset hounds are awesome. They are happy to go for walks or to a dog park, but they're equally happy to just lay around waiting for nothing to happen.

The only issue is when and if they decide to bark. It's more of a soul destroying howl like only a good hound dog can do and may piss off neighbors if the dog gets going.

• YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Yaaaay dog thread.

Just don't get a dog. Some types of dogs will be better than others but it will be a hassle for you and stressful for the dog if it doesn't get enough exercise (which is surprisingly tough to do with just walks and dog parks, unless you like to go for runs a lot). Wait until you have a yard.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
    Or you get a toy breed that can be exercised in a much smaller environment.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    man I love hounds' barks. They're so expressive. Although yeah they do get pretty old.

Also watch this. This is CatsVDogs.flv
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akCoBAdFoTw

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I want another pug

The grieving period has been long for my previous one, and I need something fuzzy to give me allergies and slobber all over me when I'm feeling down

edited May 2012
    Camping with Abraham, with his stupid tongue hanging out

ktAFGl.jpg

Look at this fucking posture
    N8hKul.jpg
    Tef wrote: »
    Yep, YoSoy I'm lovin' that dag. Has he got a bit of something else in him too?
    Shar Pei and Chow
    Rinder wrote: »
    Love the Gator collar.
    Represent, yo

YoSoyTheWalrus on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    those cats do not give a fuck

edited May 2012
    I want another pug

The grieving period has been long for my previous one, and I need something fuzzy to give me allergies and slobber all over me when I'm feeling down
    bruce-vilanch.jpg

Hunter on
    edited May 2012
    Hunter wrote: »
    Or you get a toy breed that can be exercised in a much smaller environment.

Toy breeds aren't real dogs
    juuuuuust kidding
    sort of

YoSoyTheWalrus on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    I want another pug

bruce-vilanch.jpg

I want something adorable, that is hideous

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I think people overrate the need for dogs to have a yard. Dogs usually don't exercise on their own, they sit around being lazy waiting for you to come home. They generally will get their exercise only when you're taking them out.

I get by in an apartment with a border collie, he's on his own like 9-11 hours a day and does just fine. I just have to make sure he gets plenty of exercise in the morning and evening, which is mostly through playing a shitload of fetch.

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • EclipsedPlanetEclipsedPlanet Registered User regular
    165_17107630065_504235065_2012689_5078_n.jpg

165_17107640065_504235065_2012690_5315_n.jpg

165_17107645065_5557_n.jpg

165_17107655065_5786_n.jpg

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    it's my dog's birthday, she is eight

• R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    Yaaaay dog thread.

Get a toy or small breed. Go down to the animal shelter and look around. The best dogs I ever had were from a shelter.

steam_sig.png
  • HammerHorrorHammerHorror Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Well, somebody was happy to see me come home early:
    IMG_1964.jpg

HammerHorror on
  • RedZeroRedZero Registered User regular
    We got a dag.

6996429934_46981f8daf_z.jpg

7142518085_cb701d2d7a_z.jpg

My old roommates had dags, too.

5516331944_0842cbe3be_z.jpg

4097371840_86e0f43b7d_z.jpg

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    RedZero wrote: »

the dog on the right looks like someone let some of the air out of it.

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    165_17107630065_504235065_2012689_5078_n.jpg

165_17107640065_504235065_2012690_5315_n.jpg

165_17107645065_5557_n.jpg

165_17107655065_5786_n.jpg

Help, I'm dead of cute.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Monty is a war crime

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1

The left one looks like it's been stuffed and had googly eyes put in

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular

D:

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Dogs are so weird like that! Heidi doesn't mind me in a hat, but when she visited my parents, she barked at my dad when, a day later, he put on his fedora.

319969_10150333248312291_555552290_8273356_1091343631_n.jpg?dl=1

And, it is a rule, that all cattle/herd dogs must wear a bandana, right?

80bc5ea694af11e1abd61231381b6d77_7.jpg

• RedZeroRedZero Registered User regular

The left one looks like it's been stuffed and had googly eyes put in

They are ridiculous creatures. Googly eyes was a punk sometimes, but the deflated one was just a ball of lazy.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    ktAFGl.jpg
    Dags with stupid tongues hanging out are the best dags of all.
    Phone056.jpg

see317 wrote: »
    ktAFGl.jpg
    Dags with stupid tongues hanging out are the best dags of all.
    Phone056.jpg

park-121.JPG

Now I want a little terrier named Vimes. And a giant classy golden named Sybil.

P1020576.jpg

Cracks me up every time I see this

That dag is being regal as all get-out

This discussion has been closed.