As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Oh, [chat] is a place on Earth.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Okay, what the fuck is up with the Fifty Shades of Grey?

My wife was talking about it last night and some a-hole on tv was saying it's going to cause the next baby boom because erotic books make women horny and then they fuck and have babies.

I like me some books, but I don't get how a book is ::movietrailervoice:: So erotic, it changes the course of a civilization's breeding habits...

OK look. If your wife is talking about Fifty Shades and you haven't tied her to the bed recently, It's a good bet you have missed out on some important hints she is dropping.

She hasn't read it yet. Are you saying that I'm in for sexy times? Cause I'm all about that.

There is a chance.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The problem is radiation is a fucking scary thing. A flood or an oil fire you can understand, because you can see the dangerous thing and get out of the way, but radiation is mostly invisible, and by the time you might discover you're covered in it, you might be already dead.

You get more radiation from the Sun daily than was released by Three Mile Island during a partial melt down. Yes, radiation is this invisible scary thing...you are also thousands of times more likely to get hit by a bus on your way home from work than you are to be involved in some meltdown accident with a nuclear power plant.

Humans are not good with statistical dangers, at all. It's why people are freaked out about flying in planes, when you are hundreds of times more likely to die in a car accident on your way to the airport than you are to die in a plane crash....but the plane crash is scarier, and more people die, so humans can't handle the statistics of it.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    Oh good god
    The plot traces the relationship between recent college graduate Anastasia Steele and manipulative billionaire Christian Grey. Steele is required by Grey to sign a contract allowing him complete control over her life. As she gets to know him she learns that his sexual tastes involve bondage, domination and sadism, and that childhood abuse left him a deeply damaged individual. In order to be his partner she agrees to experiment with BDSM, but struggles to reconcile who she is (a virgin who has never previously had a boyfriend) with who Christian wants her to be: his submissive, to-do-with-as-he-pleases partner in his "Red Room of Pain." [6][4]

Oh.

So that's the book I overheard two mom's at work talking about!

Explains all the rope, at least.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    I need to play Alpha Centauri. Never have.

Let me go fetch the flamethrower...

Why do that, when a simple link suffices?

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Oh good god
    The plot traces the relationship between recent college graduate Anastasia Steele and manipulative billionaire Christian Grey. Steele is required by Grey to sign a contract allowing him complete control over her life. As she gets to know him she learns that his sexual tastes involve bondage, domination and sadism, and that childhood abuse left him a deeply damaged individual. In order to be his partner she agrees to experiment with BDSM, but struggles to reconcile who she is (a virgin who has never previously had a boyfriend) with who Christian wants her to be: his submissive, to-do-with-as-he-pleases partner in his "Red Room of Pain." [6][4]

Jesus fuck, whoever wrote/directed that should kill themselves.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2012
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    The problem is radiation is a fucking scary thing. A flood or an oil fire you can understand, because you can see the dangerous thing and get out of the way, but radiation is mostly invisible, and by the time you might discover you're covered in it, you might be already dead.

You get more radiation from the Sun daily than was released by Three Mile Island during a partial melt down. Yes, radiation is this invisible scary thing...you are also thousands of times more likely to get hit by a bus on your way home from work than you are to be involved in some meltdown accident with a nuclear power plant.

Humans are not good with statistical dangers, at all. It's why people are freaked out about flying in planes, when you are hundreds of times more likely to die in a car accident on your way to the airport than you are to die in a plane crash....but the plane crash is scarier, and more people die, so humans can't handle the statistics of it.

The basic philosophy should be this: you can't plan to get struck by lightning. An incident could happen, but we are taking precautions.

Vanguard on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    my last two book purchases were a pair of essays on Sade and Lautreamont and "How to Archer"

i am an eclectic person with an interesting personality
    I haven't read Sade, I just wanted the Lautreamont essay, about whom little has been written and translated to english

Yeah...50 Shades of Gray. That book that was a slash fic, but has some how become a thing, that people are talking about...because it's supposedly changing society. First it's denigrating women, and pushing back women's suffrage 50 years (this article exists, go look). Now it's going to cause more sexy sex and babies.

The real issue is that shows a young women enjoying being dominated in her sexual exploration, and people are just not comfortable with that. Girls aren't supposed to enjoy sex, you see. Certainly not dirty, erotic, domination sex.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Oh good god
    Jesus fuck, whoever wrote/directed that should kill themselves.
    It's adapted from a Twilight fanfiction.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    I need to play Alpha Centauri. Never have.

Let me go fetch the flamethrower...

Why do that, when a simple link suffices?

No no no. "Suffer not the heretic to live", dear Tamin.

Now, time for a lesson on the cleansing power of fire.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Chess boxing was fun to watch, but I strongly recommend being drunk

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    Elendil wrote: »
    my last two book purchases were a pair of essays on Sade and Lautreamont and "How to Archer"

I haven't read Sade, I just wanted the Lautreamont essay, about whom little has been written and translated to english

Have you read Exact Change's translation of Maldoror? That book is frightening, but it's one of those where you are literally drunk with words while reading it. Easily one of my faves.

Vanguard wrote: »

The basic philosophy should be this: you can't plan to get struck by lightning. An incident could happen, but we are taking precautions.

And we do take precautions. We have the safest reactors in the world. Bar none. I'd rather deal with the tiny statistical probability of a nuclear accident, than to keep belching tar, and smoke in to the atmosphere. I'd rather deal with that ultra remote possibility than to continue to dump coal tar in to lakes, where it's seeping in to the water tables and actually killing people.

My wife was talking about it last night and some a-hole on tv was saying it's going to cause the next baby boom because erotic books make women horny and then they fuck and have babies.

I like me some books, but I don't get how a book is ::movietrailervoice:: So erotic, it changes the course of a civilization's breeding habits...

OK look. If your wife is talking about Fifty Shades and you haven't tied her to the bed recently, It's a good bet you have missed out on some important hints she is dropping.

She hasn't read it yet. Are you saying that I'm in for sexy times? Cause I'm all about that.
    Depends on what you're into...

Dynagrip wrote: »
    HerrCron wrote: »
    The problem with 4x games is that their scope is appealing but 80% of the actual gameplay and thus time spent with the game is fucking dreadful meaningless tedium. You only rarely get the chance to do something exciting or fun; they are mostly bureaucracy and administration simulations.

Interspersed with lovely bouts of genocide.

at least, that's how I play them.

(and by them I mean pretty much just Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri)

Alpha Centauri isn't really a 4X.

wut

You explore a randomly generated world, expand by taking new territory, exploit (ok, I don't recall special resource tiles), and could easily win by exterminating your opposition.
    It pretty much is used to describe games like Master of Orion, Imperium Galactic, Sins of a Solar Empire, and such.

So to qualify as a 4X game, it must be above a certain scale?

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I do think it's funny that it's about hardcore sex and S&M and it's fan slashfic from a series of books written by a Mormon prude...

That does make me laugh a little inside.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Fifty Shades is about bondage and D/s play. I am saying you could be in for more sexytimes... this book is a big deal among married middle-aged women because it's given them an easy way to drop hints that they'd be up for a little light bondage without actually saying "honey, I bought these scarves and a blindfold, whatever shall we do with them?". They can take the sub roleplay thing and drop some obvious hints and hope their men catch on and take the initiative, rather than waiting to be asked.

And we do take precautions. We have the safest reactors in the world. Bar none. I'd rather deal with the tiny statistical probability of a nuclear accident, than to keep belching tar, and smoke in to the atmosphere. I'd rather deal with that ultra remote possibility than to continue to dump coal tar in to lakes, where it's seeping in to the water tables and actually killing people.

Oh, I know. I meant that to be directed at the people who are worried.

Have you read Exact Change's translation of Maldoror? That book is frightening, but it's one of those where you are literally drunk with words while reading it. Easily one of my faves.
    the lykiard translation yeah

i am all about that book

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Yeah I gave up trying to do work from home a few years ago mostly. Because if you get extra shit done, that sets a baseline you either get more work or fewer resources. The expectation to work 50, 60 hour weeks is what kills you. But lately the other highly competent programmer in my area has been signing up for 2nd/3rd on-call shifts (for which he gets paid) so the extra work has to go elsewhere. And its hard to tell your boss's boss's, his boss, her boss, and half a dozen director level staff plus the CEO of the client who paid your company 8 figures for a product and pays 7 figures a year for maintenance that you're busy watching Dr Who on Netflix.

The last call I was literally one of two sub-Director level people on the call, and they haven't even gotten around to giving me a "Senior" in my title because there's 8 out of 20 guys with at least 2 years more seniority than me in my module without it, and only 1 in 20 that has been with the company in my area that is less tenured than I am in general. The CEO is railing about not having our most senior people working on an issue (when a competent 22 year senior programmer is) so they call me, the 5 year non-senior, in for reinforcements.

/probably won't do much today as passive aggressive revenge

Sometimes I do work from home. But then again I've set expectations at work that getting 20 hours of work out of me is fucking amazing.

Look guys, you can build the best house you want but if an asteroid hits it you're still going to die.

YAWN

Wake me up the next time we have a-quite literal-perfect storm of horrible events like Fukushima.

Every American thinks Chernobyl is going to happen in their backyard, because they don't understand nuclear power or reactor construction. Our worst nuclear accident, Three Mile Island, was a partial meltdown, and to this day, medically negligible amounts of radiation are all we can find. This was in 1979, when the regulatory climate was quite a bit more lax than it is today.

I'm not saying it can't happen, shit happens, but it's pretty fucking unlikely in the US. We build our reactor chambers to stand up to a 747 slamming in to them. This isn't soviet era Russia, and we don't generally build our reactors on oceanic flood planes.
    And again, coal power is fucking killing us. Like, constantly, and probably in ways we don't even know. Coal power plants put out orders of magnitude more radiation than nuclear plants.

So fucking bad for us.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I'm not one to talk about my extra curricular activities, but I'm down for more of that kind of stuff, so I'll go buy her a copy.

::amateurhour has logged off::

are YOU on the beer list?

i am all about that book

Alexis Lykiard. Couldn't remember that perspn's name. Pretty much every thing EC does is solid gold.

Have you read Hebdomeros by Giorgio De Chirico, by any chance? Less frightening, but just as vivid.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Fifty Shades is about bondage and D/s play. I am saying you could be in for more sexytimes... this book is a big deal among married middle-aged women because it's given them an easy way to drop hints that they'd be up for a little light bondage without actually saying "honey, I bought these scarves and a blindfold, whatever shall we do with them?". They can take the sub roleplay thing and drop some obvious hints and hope their men catch on and take the initiative, rather than waiting to be asked.

The problem is that your average American male has about as much of a clue as your average American mule.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Also, that game of AC ended very quickly and terribly, as all my attempts do.

• Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    I have devolved into my most basic state.

I am now a bacteria.

yGxvf.png

i am all about that book

Alexis Lykiard. Couldn't remember that perspn's name. Pretty much every thing EC does is solid gold.

Have you read Hebdomeros by Giorgio De Chirico, by any chance? Less frightening, but just as vivid.
    haven't heard of it

will check it out

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    the trick is to accept the fact that you are no one and no one else is anyone and nothing matters
    I was going to do this but whats the point?

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited May 2012
    HerrCron wrote: »
    The problem with 4x games is that their scope is appealing but 80% of the actual gameplay and thus time spent with the game is fucking dreadful meaningless tedium. You only rarely get the chance to do something exciting or fun; they are mostly bureaucracy and administration simulations.

Interspersed with lovely bouts of genocide.

at least, that's how I play them.

(and by them I mean pretty much just Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri)

Alpha Centauri isn't really a 4X.

wut

You explore a randomly generated world, expand by taking new territory, exploit (ok, I don't recall special resource tiles), and could easily win by exterminating your opposition.
    It pretty much is used to describe games like Master of Orion, Imperium Galactic, Sins of a Solar Empire, and such.

So to qualify as a 4X game, it must be above a certain scale?

No, it needs to generally have four victory conditions. eXploration, eXplotation, eXpanding and eXtermination. Essentially economy, culture, war and science.

This sort of implicitly leads to games of large scale.

GnomeTank on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    You guys are reacting to 50 Shades of Grey as if it's a new thing that erotic fiction aimed at women has BDSM elements. Seriously, have none of you heard of the Story of O? Or the Sleeping Beauty Trilogy? Or any of the hundreds books in that mold? 50 Shades of Grey's explosion is simply due to excellent timing. There isn't any public embarassment or shame when you can read it on a kindle and no one has any idea what it is.

i am all about that book

haven't heard of it

will check it out

It's got an excellent introduction by John Ashbery on Surrealism.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

The problem is that your average American male has about as much of a clue as your average American mule.

I am sounding the trumpet throughout maledom... dudes, if your lady is reading this book and she's into it and you don't know why, you are missing sexy hints about bondage sex fun sex. She is very possibly hoping you will interrupt dinner to carry her upstairs and order her to do things not in the usual repitoire!

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    You guys are reacting to 50 Shades of Grey as if it's a new thing that erotic fiction aimed at women has BDSM elements. Seriously, have none of you heard of the Story of O? Or the Sleeping Beauty Trilogy? Or any of the hundreds books in that mold? 50 Shades of Grey's explosion is simply due to excellent timing. There isn't any public embarassment or shame when you can read it on a kindle and no one has any idea what it is.

It doesn't surprise me in the least, personally. Women have always loved trashy/pulpy romance novels. Now no one need know when they are reading them.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Oh good god

I just don't understand why people can't read good BDSM literature. Like De Sade or Sacher Von Masoch.

I don't understand why they pay for this.

It's literally the quality of online fanfiction I've read.

Look guys, you can build the best house you want but if an asteroid hits it you're still going to die.

YAWN

Wake me up the next time we have a-quite literal-perfect storm of horrible events like Fukushima.

Every American thinks Chernobyl is going to happen in their backyard, because they don't understand nuclear power or reactor construction. Our worst nuclear accident, Three Mile Island, was a partial meltdown, and to this day, medically negligible amounts of radiation are all we can find. This was in 1979, when the regulatory climate was quite a bit more lax than it is today.

I'm not saying it can't happen, shit happens, but it's pretty fucking unlikely in the US. We build our reactor chambers to stand up to a 747 slamming in to them. This isn't soviet era Russia, and we don't generally build our reactors on oceanic flood planes.
    And again, coal power is fucking killing us. Like, constantly, and probably in ways we don't even know. Coal power plants put out orders of magnitude more radiation than nuclear plants.

So fucking bad for us.

Agree 100%. I pointed this out in a later post. We know for a god damn fact coal tar is killing people. It's literally a crime what's happening with these coal plants.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

I am sounding the trumpet throughout maledom... dudes, if your lady is reading this book and she's into it and you don't know why, you are missing sexy hints about bondage sex fun sex. She is very possibly hoping you will interrupt dinner to carry her upstairs and order her to do things not in the usual repitoire!

That's the problem with a lot of female romantic hopes, they are hopes, often unvoiced hopes. They want the right guy to come in, and wordlessly sweep them off their feet and carry them upstairs for a bout of amazing sex. But with the wrong guy trying to do so suddenly the situation goes from romance to terror. It is unfortunate that having actual communication about sexual wants/needs is viewed as unsexy.

YAWN

So fucking bad for us.
    Agree 100%. I pointed this out in a later post. We know for a god damn fact coal tar is killing people. It's literally a crime what's happening with these coal plants.
    Yeah, this is what's so frustrating.

People keep saying "but with nuclear power, something could go wrong, and people would die!" The problem is that with coal power, everything can go right, and people will die.

It just makes me want to choke a bitch.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »

It doesn't surprise me in the least, personally. Women have always loved trashy/pulpy romance novels. Now no one need know when they are reading them.

Yeah a lot (most? all?) romance novels are pretty much slow burn porn.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I think the GOP has missed the point of all this #Julia stuff...

Lh96QHG.png
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

Middle class, suburban wives are long overdue for a sexual revolution.

America in general, really, still has huge issues with a Puritan conception of sex and sexualit.

Where do I volunteer to assist this glorious People's Struggle?

This discussion has been closed.