As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Prime] COOKIE BRIGADE - $13,161 for Prime 2012!!

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    @theaggrocraig - you're thinking of @punzie with the stuffed Oreos. They're becoming legendary. Maybe if we all ask her really, really nicely she'll bake and ship a big box of them to Prime. :winky:

Yes, I keep getting more and more requests for them. I want to make them for Prime, but I might have to ask for donations to help me ship them or something. Prime is already a financial stretch for me, so I don't normally bake. I'll see what I can do!

HI3789R.png
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    <3 Misanthrope! =)

Also, that cookie Goblin... holy cow! Wow!

Also, there's one small ticket-related disaster at least partially averted, in my personal case: looks like my company got their tickets in time. But yikes, I wonder how many other brigadiers are in a similarly tight spot? =( Any luck yet hml151? Are there any other Brigadiers here who weren't able to jump in before the gates closed?

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    courtneyj wrote: »
    What size of buttons do you guys get for the Cookie Brigade buttons?

Oh, usually we just give out standard size buttons (1.5" I think for buttoneering if I recall correctly?). There was a time where we tried making bigger ones, but they were expensive. =( Now we use the buttons for handing out to people and the giant 3" patches as official Brigadier identifiers (so people can spot us in the crowd as we're handing out cookies and know that they can approach us for some!)

• EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    I'm back for another year.
    I didn't get in as much Brigadiering last year as I did the previous year, and I noticed my enjoyment of just wandering the Con was affected. Nothing like carrying around a basket full of cookies to connect you with your fellow con goers.

I'd also like to note that I am still only a few blocks away from the Convention Center for those that need to mail their cookies early, or want to do some baking in the days leading up to Con.
    Guess I should go post on the CB website...

3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • SwordMageSwordMage Registered User regular
    Ghola Duncan and I will be baking. He's got some crazed plan for cupcakes and there will likely be *lots* of sugar cookies. As well as some other things.

SwordMage, aka Willa
    ---
    twitter: SwordMage86
    XBL: SwordMagelet
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    SwordMage wrote: »
    Ghola Duncan and I will be baking. He's got some crazed plan for cupcakes and there will likely be *lots* of sugar cookies. As well as some other things.

If you guys have cupcakes beyond what you can distribute, I may be doing a Pinkie Pie cosplay again this year at some point. We should coordinate. Every time I do the Pinkie Pie thing, at least five people ask me why I don't have cupcakes. I need to blow some minds.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • SwordMageSwordMage Registered User regular

If you guys have cupcakes beyond what you can distribute, I may be doing a Pinkie Pie cosplay again this year at some point. We should coordinate. Every time I do the Pinkie Pie thing, at least five people ask me why I don't have cupcakes. I need to blow some minds.

Coordination good. We'll talk.

SwordMage, aka Willa
    ---
    twitter: SwordMage86
    XBL: SwordMagelet
    Brigadiers, please report in on our cookie-brigade.com forums if you were planning on going to PAX and could not get passes! At the moment there's not much we can do, *but* if that situation changes by some miracle it'd be really useful for us to have a list of Brigadiers who were looking to come and help but didn't manage to get passes.

• LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    I somehow managed to get tickets before the first site melted - had my confirmation email. Also, we're staying in a studio appartment with full kitchen, so I can bake once we arrive on 25th August.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Additional to VT's post: please see the main CB site for additional questions about our Super Secret Storage Location:

cookie-brigade.com/groups/pax-prime-2012/

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    I just signed up for the Brigade site.. I'm new to the Brigades but I've been a supporter and purchaser for 3 PAXes now. This year, as I'm flying, so I can bake for the event!! I'm planning on signing up to Enforce, so I'm not sure I'll be able to distribute, but I would absolutely love to bake and donate my famous Zucchini bread!!!

I plan on making a few loafs of the regular recipe (if you'll allow me to donate them) AND a few gluten-free loafs!!

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
  • Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    I should probably also mention that I'll slice and the wrap the slices in convenient to sell packaging.

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
  • Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    I was only planning on baking, but I do have my passes. Depending on how transport works out, I may also be available to transport glorious baked goods from Canada.

Tar3820 wrote: »
    I should probably also mention that I'll slice and the wrap the slices in convenient to sell packaging.

Thanks for thinking ahead about wrapping! Lots of great tips and info are available on the Brigade website.

Please note that the Brigade does not sell items, we give them away.

(I'm working through approving all the new apps now, look for a reply soon.)

• LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    I've bought some clear cellophane bags to put biscuits and cakes in for individual giving - also keeps gluten free products safe!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    edit: for the sake of this young person's anonymity, i have replaced every instance of their name with A

Hey guys! Sadly I will not be attending Prime this year due to finances.

But, I have a terrible story that I would like to share with the brigade and PA in hopes that there is something we can band together and do for this young person.

My sister, Jamie, is a 5th grade teacher in Kansas City. She teaches a child named A who had never been quite right in the classroom- but recently his situation has become much worse. His father had two seizures in the past week. During one these seizures(my sister corrected me, they were strokes), his mother, who was addicted to drugs, attacked her husband. The result of this horrible scene is A's mother in jail and father in the hospital. That was a few days ago. Since then, inspectors came to the home he had lived at to collect his things (including a few pairs of clothes and his most prized possession his Xbox360). The inspector found the house so infested with drug residue, mold, insects, rodents, and lice that they deemed everything within would be destroyed. A is now living with his neighbors, who are attempting to become his legal guardian and avoid foster care. The teachers at my sister's school, his neighbors, and other helpful people in the community have helped provide clothes, shoes, and, for A's first time in his life, a visit to the dentist.

I learned about the story when my sister asked me to come visit her classroom for career week and talk about game development. I brought with me some swag from PAX, including shirts and a free month of Xbox live. I thought it was strange that when I pulled out the swag every student in the room's arm raised up and pointed to A. Jamie gave him the goods and asked later if he had gotten a chance to try out his Xbox Live! A's face filled with tears, which he tried to hide for the sake of the other children being there, as he told her that the government had his xbox destroyed; so he gave her back the 1-month free card. Jamie came home and shared the story with me and asked, "You are in that cookie thing, right? Isn't there something you can do!?" She described gaming as A's 'only escape from the horrors in his life right now', which is a feeling that too many of us gamers can relate to.

I know this request is a large one, and it may be completely out of place to post it at all- but I felt that I had to post some kind of outreach for A's sake. I would really like to get him an Xbox- so he can get back to being the boy my sister knows he can be, a brilliant, world-changing nerd. Thanks for your thoughts, brigade!

MASeffect on
    lloyehipr7341342326762.png
    @MASEffect, That's an incredibly heartbreaking story. I've copied it off to the powers that be, which is all that's within our powers to do. Let's keep each other posted.

• CovetCovet Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    MASEffect - That's so heartbreaking. :(

I'd like to offer my baking talents to the Brigade this year. Was thinking of baking something vegan, something gluten free, and something totally fattening. :)

Covet on
    @Covet - great! Glad to have you aboard. Be sure to sign up on the Cookie Brigade website at www.cookie-brigade.com. There's mo'betta info and discussion for brigadiers there.

• CovetCovet Registered User regular
    @Covet - great! Glad to have you aboard. Be sure to sign up on the Cookie Brigade website at www.cookie-brigade.com. There's mo'betta info and discussion for brigadiers there.

Already done and account verified! It appears I'm waiting for approval. :)

Phew! There were a ton of apps; I just finished getting through them all.

If you applied and were approved, you should have access to the site now.

If you applied and have not been approved yet, we need more information. Please check your Penny Arcade Forum inbox and the email account you used when you signed up for a message from the Brigade.

If you need help or have questions, feel free to PM me, VThornheart, Punzie or Ransim.

Wow, that's madness MASeffect! =( Oy... keep us posted! And I'm sorry you can't make it to Prime: you were a blast to Brigadier with at East! Hopefully we'll see you at East this coming year?

• MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    @Lexi
    Wow, that's madness MASeffect! =( Oy... keep us posted! And I'm sorry you can't make it to Prime: you were a blast to Brigadier with at East! Hopefully we'll see you at East this coming year?

I will be sure to keep you posted! LexiconGrrl has been a huge help. And yeah, I am super upset I won't be at Prime- but OH YEAH! I will definitely be at East next year! I wouldn't miss that for the world! Hopefully I'll be able to bake some things for Prime!

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
  • Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    I'll at LEAST be baking. Prime was incredibly busy comparative to East, and that was without going for an [E] spot. I may split the difference and [E] at Prime (should I be accepted) and CB distribute at East. I'll still bake for both.

East did not see any of me (Easter kept me home), but I shall be there at Prime in full force to make up for it. ^.^

Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
    Ahhh, I was wondering where you were at, that makes sense! =) It'll be good to have you with us once more! =)

• Goblin ScrewdriverGoblin Screwdriver Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Glad see you all like like the cookies : )

Packaging them would defiantly be a problem. I imagine the best way to do it would be to buy some foam and cut it out to fit the form. Or just make something with a less complicated shape.

Hopefully things will work out so I'll have some time make some this year. Last year I ended up taking summer classes so I had to spend the week prior to Pax preparing for finals.

PAX Prime attendee since 2006

Pointless signature checklist [x]
    edited May 2012
    Glad see you all like like the cookies : )

Packaging them would defiantly be a problem. I imagine the best way to do it would be to buy some foam and cut it out to fit the form. Or just make something with a less complicated shape.

Hopefully things will work out so I'll have some time make some this year. Last year I ended up taking summer classes so I had to spend the week prior to Pax preparing for finals.

For packaging intricate cookies for shipping:

Never done anything quite that ornate, but I have done stars and moons and pointy dinosaurs. This works sometimes:

Make a stack cookies of the same shape in a tupperware-style container that is only slightly too large for them. Fill the empty spaces with air-popped popcorn, with no salt or butter. It serves as a natural cushion that will not affect the flavor of the cookie, nor taint it with any non-edible chemicals. Popcorn gets tossed after.

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    A bunch of applications were approved today. If you applied and were approved, you should have access to the site now.

If you applied and have not been approved yet, we need more information. Please check your Penny Arcade Forum inbox and the email account you used when you signed up for a message from the Brigade.

If you need help or have questions, feel free to PM me, VThornheart, Punzie or Ransim.

Thanks for supporting Cookie Brigade!

• alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    If I would like to bake, but not to distribute, should I still join the cookie brigade website?

Also, are cookies baked from a mix acceptable? I make killer homemade-from-scratch chocolate chip cookies, but I'd like to also make a gluten-free option (my [E] husband is gluten intolerant) and I've not had much luck making those from scratch.

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    alegria wrote: »
    If I would like to bake, but not to distribute, should I still join the cookie brigade website?

Yes

alegria wrote: »

Also, are cookies baked from a mix acceptable? I make killer homemade-from-scratch chocolate chip cookies, but I'd like to also make a gluten-free option (my [E] husband is gluten intolerant) and I've not had much luck making those from scratch.

Joining the website isn't required, but most of the baking discussions happen there, and there's a ton of really good advice for bakers about recipes, packaging, ideas, and all sorts of resources. You're certainly encouraged to join up there.

Yes, any kind of cookies are acceptable. There's no rules about using mixes or even storebought cookies, and GF products are always appreciated!

• alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    Okay, thanks! :)

Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    So suppose I wanted to bake for this thing? What's a reasonable number most people bring. (low end) I might be in the middle of a move and don't want to commit to hundreds upon hundres of cookies.
    Also throw them some baggies enough for you guys to hand them out.

edited May 2012
    tsrblke wrote: »
    So suppose I wanted to bake for this thing? What's a reasonable number most people bring. (low end) I might be in the middle of a move and don't want to commit to hundreds upon hundres of cookies.
    Joining the website isn't required, but most of the baking discussions happen there, and there's a ton of really good advice for bakers about recipes, packaging, ideas, and all sorts of resources. You're certainly encouraged to join up there.

Bake as many or as few as you like. A dozen cookies is appreciated just as much as a dozen dozen. We do ask that any cookies you bring are individually wrapped. Ziplock baggies are preferred. There's more info on the Brigade Site!

LexiconGrrl on

You can bake any amount of cookies, from a single dozen to hundreds. Even a single dozen is appreciated. However, the organizers do ask that you pre-wrap them, in either cellophane or baggies.

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular

Bake as many or as few as you like. A dozen cookies is appreciated just as much as a dozen dozen. We do ask that any cookies you bring are individually wrapped. Ziplock baggies are preferred. There's more info on the Brigade Site!

I'll join the site later than! (Gotta run in a sec).
    I'll assume "individually wrapped" means "Single Serve" some of my cookies are smallish, and would likely be better sold as a pair rather than 1 at a time (I use a small disher to make them for a variety of reasons.)

I'll join the site later than! (Gotta run in a sec).
    I'll assume "individually wrapped" means "Single Serve" some of my cookies are smallish, and would likely be better sold as a pair rather than 1 at a time (I use a small disher to make them for a variety of reasons.)

However many you want to bag at once is totally up to you. As long as we're not having people handling unwrapped cookies, you're golden!

• barrin87barrin87 Roy, UTRegistered User regular
    This year will be my first year at PAX Prime so this is my first time hearing about the Cookie Brigade. I wouldn't think about helping by baking cookies since I kind of suck at baking. That's amazing that you put some much work into this though. If I run into any of you I will definitely make sure to give more than a dollar or anything like that!

edited May 2012
    Just a reminder to anyone who thinks they can't bake well enough for cookie brigade: can you make Rice Krispy Treats? Because seriously, that is the thing we never get enough of.

No pressure, of course, but when a friend of mine found out that I ran out of Rice Krispy treats on day 2 of east she was like "really? Damn, I could make those in my sleep."

Cultural Geek Girl on
  • DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I got my 3 day badge. First thing I thought about when it all sold out was Cookie Brigade. Hope it works out this year!

DJBreslin on
This discussion has been closed.