As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Office thread: Shove it up your butt!

• dead soulsdead souls Registered User regular
    The Office is too diminished, both in the ratings and creatively, to launch a successful spinoff now. The time to launch one would have been when the show was still a beloved show generating great numbers. Now it's just shambling along waiting to be put out of its misery. Who would watch a spinoff when most people don't even watch the actual show any more?

• Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
    You guys talking about how this show deserves a good send off makes me realize how perfect Michael's last episode would have been.

sig-1.jpg
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I would watch a Creed spin-off.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    You know, honestly, Michael's last episode really would have made the best jumping off point. Not that there hasn't been enjoyable moments this season, but from a pacing perspective, it would have been nice to have that bookend.

And then possibly have the remaining episode(s) be an epilogue/the fallout from the documentary being released? Could have been, should have been.

!
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I'm glad Family Matters got a mention on the previous page about being a successful spinoff, that it doesn't even connect that way is a sign of its success (except for the last season, that was terrible).

Miller-Boyett could do no wrong!

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I would watch a Creed spin-off.

I wouldn't. Creed's fun as a background weirdo, he'd be dead boring as a main character.

Unless you watch Archer and imagine that this is Creed's life in the 60s.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    I find it somewhat amusing that when the Office was first broadcast part of its appeal was the departure from a studio audience, laughter track etc. which is exactly what Catherine Tate made her name in.

Now, as the Office USA descends into that sort of humour, Tate joins the programme.

The programme really has no semblance to how it started - it was meant to resemble what working in an office is like. Now it has become so abstracted from that original purpose, the office just seems to be a location and springboard for crazy hijinks.

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I find it somewhat amusing that when the Office was first broadcast part of its appeal was the departure from a studio audience, laughter track etc. which is exactly what Catherine Tate made her name in.

Now, as the Office USA descends into that sort of humour, Tate joins the programme.

The programme really has no semblance to how it started - it was meant to resemble what working in an office is like. Now it has become so abstracted from that original purpose, the office just seems to be a location and springboard for crazy hijinks.

I asked this earlier, but never got a response. Does anyone know if the writers or producers are different now? There has to be some reason for the drastic change in writing quality, and even the overall format of the show.

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Starting with Season 5 (around the time Parks and Rec started/was being developed, I believe), Paul Lieberstein took over the showrunner position from Greg Daniels. They also lost some writers (the biggest being Michael Schur) to Parks and Recreation at that point.

I believe that was the only "big" change the show underwent creatively throughout its run. I don't think anything more recent has occurred.

Captain Tragedy on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    a part of me wants this show to just end already so craig robinson (daryl ) can move onto a bigger project
    his hilarity is being crushed by the rest of the ensemble on the office

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Man, Scott's Tots is such an uncomfortable episode. You know Michael isn't intentionally a bad person, but he had so many opportunities to get out of that. Years, even.

It's right up there with, but a bit above of, dumping Pam's mom on her birthday.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Ohh dear

This is almost as uncomfortable as Scott's Tots, but I liked Scott's Tots better

I stopped watching when Florida started, and I started watching again just tonight. Pretty bad. Only two more episodes this season though, I think.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Ohh dear

This is almost as uncomfortable as Scott's Tots, but I liked Scott's Tots better

I stopped watching when Florida started, and I started watching again just tonight. Pretty bad. Only two more episodes this season though, I think.

Woah, Florida is some of the best stuff this season, some of the best in years, really.

You gots ta get caught up.

Lh96QHG.png
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Ugh.
    "Hey, you know this person who has been nothing but terrible for as long as we've known them, and is making our work lives actively terrible? I just found out about something that happened to them a while ago, so we should be super nice to them now".
    Plus, I've been constantly muting the TV during the Andy and Erin parts of this episode.

If Nellie isn't gone by the end of this episode, I'm officially done with this show.

• Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    I think Frasier was the lucky duck ... because everything else just seems to end up like Joey.

Feel free to show me other good spin-offs though.

The Andy Griffith Show was a good spin-off. YMMV on its spin-off, Gomer Pyle USMC.

Good Times coming from Maude wasn't too bad.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Ugh.
    "Hey, you know this person who has been nothing but terrible for as long as we've known them, and is making our work lives actively terrible? I just found out about something that happened to them a while ago, so we should be super nice to them now".
    Plus, I've been constantly muting the TV during the Andy and Erin parts of this episode.

If Nellie isn't gone by the end of this episode, I'm officially done with this show.

She's the new manager. For goods.

Woo. :(

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXxH_8Ep_ms

What is with the world these days wanting to just reboot stuff even when it's not necessary?

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    There's nothing wrong with The Office without Carrell. If these guys went and pitched an ensemble comedy starring Ed Helms, Kracsinski, Rainn Wilson, and Craig Robinson it would be greenlit in an instant. The show is still funny. It's not at its best any more, but no show is after it's been on so long. People are used to the characters you know what to expect already. It doesn't mean it's still not funny.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Is Catherine Tate jsut doing female Ricky Gervais

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    They really need to just let it die at this point. We're entering sixth sense territory; it's dead, but they haven't realized it yet.

I thought this episode was pretty good.

I fully expect some kind of reckoning when Andy returns to Scranton next episode.

California is obviously up to something.

I prefer to give the writer's benefit of the doubt for now.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I liked Nelly better this episode, if for no other reason that she seems to have anti-Robert powers.

• RhalloTonnyRhalloTonny Of the BrownlandsRegistered User regular
    It's episodes like this week's that remind me it might have been a better idea to just end the show with Micheal leaving.

!
    Angry Andy was pretty badass, as was Angry Erin.

I'm interested to see where they take this.

Lh96QHG.png
  • GogarGogar Registered User regular
    Robert California had previously seemed like an eccentric genius to me, but this episode made me wonder if he really knew what he was doing. I mean his complete inability to resolve the situation at the beginning of the episode was directly responsible for putting Andy in such a shitty position, which then led to his firing Andy. Andy and Erin were great but the rest of the dynamics going on in that episode just irritated me.

If Nelly becomes the permanent manager I think I'm done with the show. I hope that the next episode has the office degenerate so badly that Andy or someone else replaces her.

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I really, really liked this episode. It wasn't particularly funny, but it had some really good character work. Let's see if they stick with it.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
    edited April 2012
    Hopefully this stuff with Andy isn't over. The Nelly stuff is a funny diversion, but if Andy doesn't his manager position back, I'm not going to be happy.

EDIT: Another thing that pisses me off is how Robert California let Nelly walk all over him, but when Andy finally pulled the exact same "No" thing, Robert fired him. Why didn't he just fire Nelly when she started that shit?

Undead Scottsman on
  • JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hopefully this stuff with Andy isn't over. The Nelly stuff is a funny diversion, but if Andy doesn't his manager position back, I'm not going to be happy.

EDIT: Another thing that pisses me off is how Robert California let Nelly walk all over him, but when Andy finally pulled the exact same "No" thing, Robert fired him. Why didn't he just fire Nelly when she started that shit?

He doesn't want to bonehave sex with Andy.

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
    Finale Spoilers:
    I read that the finale has Andy holding Robert's feet to the fire over some information (blackmail!). I imagine that Nellie and Robert will be gone by season's end, especially since it was released that James Spader is leaving the cast after this season, and Andy will be back as manager.

If they're looking to end the show for good, I hope Jim gets the manager job. That'd make the show a nice character arc for him of "Your dreams are going to die in a fire" with a dash of "but sometimes that's okay".

Lh96QHG.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    Anybody remember when Michael Scott wasn't a part of the company and formed his own, rival company downstairs?

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw Andy's box.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    I am just about done with this show. I'll watch it, sure. But I'm not looking forward to it like I used to.

This week seemed like it should've been the first half of a two parter or something.
    I also noticed that Andy is still up as the boss in the credits, which tells me that Nellie is going away at some point. I liked her trying to get Daryl to like her though, especially with having no idea what a taco is or how to eat one. And the Kevin fake out at the end was great.

Lh96QHG.png
    The bit at the end with Kevin was incredible. I totally didn't see it coming until the shot changed to his house.

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Nellie is growing on me.

Terrifying, I know.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Nellie is growing on me.

Terrifying, I know.

Like a fungus or a like a tumor? :)

Semi-spoilers for end of the season:
    Apparently, the only certain thing is writing out Robert California. And there's apparently some sort of cliffhanger to carry over to next year, which 1) isn't official yet and 2) still doesn't have the main cast (except for Dwight) signed.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Just caught last night's ep on Hulu.

It was really good, even if it was just rehashing the same storyline from three years ago.

Andy deserves his Cornell Business School Diploma.

are YOU on the beer list?
    Just caught last night's ep on Hulu.

It was really good, even if it was just rehashing the same storyline from three years ago.

Andy deserves his Cornell Business School Diploma.

It's a minor rehash, but it's being handled differently enough that I'm okay with it.

I'm also super excited about
    David Wallace
    coming back.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    It's basically a twisted sequel to the
    Micheal Scott Paper company.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Wow, I really liked this episode.

It just felt abnormally well put together for the Office in the last few seasons.

Andy got some fucking balls and showed a level of competence that virtually no one on the show has in ages.

Wasn't the funniest episode, but one of the best in my mind. I'm actually interested in what happens with the finale/next season now. Who knew?

EDIT: And Dwight/Jim felt like classic Dwight/Jim rivals/frienemies and less like a bumbling slapstick duo. In fact everyone showed a level of competence that they haven't since the early seasons before everyone became caricatures of themselves. Was it a new writer or something?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand