As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I bought my Dreamcast at Sears. Didn't have the money so I opened up a credit card there and bought it and PSO.

Best purchase ever.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hey, back in the day, when we rode dinosaurs and dirt still had that new car smell, Sears was THE place to buy video games. Their selection was the best around, and they'd carry all the crazy crap nobody else would.

Honestly, I'm amazed that they're still around, let alone selling video games online.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Sears doesn't have any more CEs :(

The product page still says they're available for pre-order, but if you try to check out with one it'll throw up an error.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'm not frothing from the mouth just yet, because I feel like there's enough to tide me over until the CE shows up in my room...but I really can't wait for this shit.

Showing off the Wizard Familiar spell. Sparkling rune looks like the increased health summon from the druid in D2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqUur8jOogc

Today's Diablofans post includes that video, a new interview with Jay at AtomicPC, the art of Diablo 3 being showcased at GDC, and a summary of the important blue posts from the forums.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Don't add the url tags.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Chen wrote: »
    Don't add the url tags.

I'm not, I'm just pasting the URL directly in my reply.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    /watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jqUur8jOogc
    /watch?v=jqUur8jOogc

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    /watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jqUur8jOogc
    /watch?v=jqUur8jOogc

Sonsabitches.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Clearly calling D3 the end of the trilogy does not rule out expansions, since D2 had an expansion as well which makes four official games already. And D2:LoD pretty conclusively ended that storyline but they came up with D3 anyway, no reason they can't do it again.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Calling it anything means nothing at all. If they can make more money releasing more games they will. And they can so they will.

We'll just have 2 sets of trilogies then! Or they'll just make it 8 games, because they say so.

• Options
    I think the term trilogy is overused anyway. If you haven't planned out the story to take place over three parts, it's not a trilogy just because you happen to make a third game eventually.

• Options
    Well, if it happens to come out to 3 it's a trilogy by definition. It just wont stay that way.

• Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    I just confirmed that my Diablo 3 pre-order at Gamestop that I setup when I got Starcraft 2 is still legit. Haha, I had completely forgotten about it until recently. Go go midnight! Can't wait - I'm glad they keep putting content/media up to devour...although it is getting me a little too ramped up. That next day at work is going to be a nightmare, especially since I only took Friday off, haha.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

• Options
    Smoogy wrote: »
    I just confirmed that my Diablo 3 pre-order at Gamestop that I setup when I got Starcraft 2 is still legit. Haha, I had completely forgotten about it until recently. Go go midnight! Can't wait - I'm glad they keep putting content/media up to devour...although it is getting me a little too ramped up. That next day at work is going to be a nightmare, especially since I only took Friday off, haha.

I'm in the same boat dude. I think I'm going to try and avoid the PA forums from Tuesday on until I beat the campaign as well. People are pretty stupid when it comes to spoilers.

• Options
    Yeah that'll be tough at work if there's downtime...and I'm with you because I hope to experience the game as much as possible the first time without knowing what I'm getting myself into.

Smoogy-1689

• Options
    CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK. There, I just spoiled all of Diablo (past, present and future) for everyone. No worries now!

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK. There, I just spoiled all of Diablo (past, present and future) for everyone. No worries now!

That's an incredibly condensed synopsis.

• Options
    There is something to be said for the story of these games, something that most people tend to overlook since you played through Diablo 2 sooooooo many times. But the first time when you don't know what's going to be next...that is awesome! Diablo was the best at this (Ahhhhh...fresh meat!), but I'm excited to see what they have in store for this installment.

Smoogy-1689

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular

wtf man, spoiler that shit. I wanted to go into Diablo 3 with NO idea of what to expect.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

yeah, try something like

CLICK x 10^42

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    There is something to be said for the story of these games, something that most people tend to overlook since you played through Diablo 2 sooooooo many times. But the first time when you don't know what's going to be next...that is awesome! Diablo was the best at this (Ahhhhh...fresh meat!), but I'm excited to see what they have in store for this installment.
    That's really what I loved about Blizzard around Diablo 2 and then Warcraft 3. Everything was so damn epic.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Bobble wrote: »

yeah, try something like

CLICK x 10^42

I was watching my brother play the beta. clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick! Started to bug me...

"You know... you can just hold the mouse button down..."

Legitimately blew his mind :lol:

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

"You know... you can just hold the mouse button down..."

Hold the mouse down? Blasphemy! If you aren't breaking mice you aren't playing Diablo.

Time is a flat circle
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    fuck mice, I occasionally use the muscles in this hand for other things, you know!

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    fuck mice, I occasionally use the muscles in this hand for other things, you know!

:winky:

Random little thing I enjoyed from playing the Beta, old sound effects and random little callbacks. The gold pickup sound or when you interact with bookcases and Scrolls of Identify/Town Portal come tumbling down with the books was a nice touch.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    yeah, the first time I heard the 'item drop' *fwoopfwopfwoop* noise I was like "Oooohhhh god, it's starting again."

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

It's not a terribly original story, but it's certainly compelling. Where Starcraft always seemed like the greatest hits of science fiction movies, the first Diablo game felt like a tight beam of fantasy and horror elements mixed in with some fun new lore.

I thought the story in SC2 was a bit disappointing, but it didn't bug me because those games have always been fairly cheesy. The original Diablo conveyed some true tension however, and D2 had some good moments as well. So I hope D3 is a bit more in that direction.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    I definitely liked the story for Starcraft better than Starcraft 2, but maybe that's only because we haven't been exposed to the whole thing yet? Since I'm not that great at the online portion of SC2, I do enjoy playing through the campaign. I rage too much when I get zergling rushed or some such thing, so I stick to Jim Raynor and Kerrigan :)

Diablo 3 story looks great so far and I haven't even gotten my hands on the Book of Cain yet.

Smoogy-1689

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I'm not frothing from the mouth just yet, because I feel like there's enough to tide me over until the CE shows up in my room...but I really can't wait for this shit.

Showing off the Wizard Familiar spell. Sparkling rune looks like the increased health summon from the druid in D2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqUur8jOogc
    Hah, that has to be about the most boring skill demonstration ever.

• Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    Hey now.. Hey now! Scrolls of identify and town portals no longer drop from bookshelves... but perhaps pages of training will! I thought there might be zero reason to click on them now, but I guess I may be mistaken..

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Pages of training apparently don't drop until Nightmare(?), so on a Normal play through there really isn't much reason to click bookshelves (all I ever saw from them in beta was small piles of gold).

forty on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    You take your golden showers and like them

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Shurakai wrote: »
    Hey now.. Hey now! Scrolls of identify and town portals no longer drop from bookshelves... but perhaps pages of training will! I thought there might be zero reason to click on them now, but I guess I may be mistaken..

Yep, not much dropped from them in the Beta for me, just a few gold here and there sometimes. But I like the animation for clicking them, the fact they just fall apart and the books/scrolls just fall down gracelessly.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular

Actually they do still drop from bookshelves if you look closely at the models that fall on the ground. Scrolls with orange and blue binding! One of the better easter-eggs I could find in the beta.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Scosglen wrote: »

Actually they do still drop from bookshelves if you look closely at the models that fall on the ground. Scrolls with orange and blue binding! One of the better easter-eggs I could find in the beta.

Town Portal scrolls have blue and orange binding?

Awesome

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Bookshelves suck because last I checked you have to click on them. Containers aren't worth more trouble than throwing off an extra AoE attack as you walk by.

Zek on
  • Options
    spitfirekspitfirek Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I got a new mouse recently... I already feel bad for it, I'll probably need a new one by June :(

At least D3 is not as bad as the previous 2 for sheer amounts of clicking, you can do a lot of holding the click down for things... although I will be playing a DH first and studder stepping; soooo.

spitfirek on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Bookshelves suck because last I checked you have to click on them. Containers aren't worth more trouble than throwing off an extra AoE attack as you walk by.

The pedistals that drop the journals in the cathedral also have to be clicked on, but are worth it since the books give you exp.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MMAgChMMAgCh remember tomorrow. Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »
    So I've been playing through Diablo 1 the last few days. Such a different feel than 2 had. It's like Alien and Aliens.
    This is an amazing comparison and I shall be using it whenever the opportunity arises.

(I was, and still am to a degree, into Diablo big time, though. Who would've guessed?)

This discussion has been closed.