As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kids, no not the movie, we're talking the real deal

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    One of the applications I support is for Student Loan applications. Every couple of months I end up having to change a setting or adjust a unit test or something that makes me try and calculate when someone would have been born to be eligible to go to University.

And then I shake my head, disbelieve my result, and do the math again, and swear.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    It really is crazy... Just next year people born in *2000* will be legally able to post in these forums

Oh, and California misread a number in my SSN and thus concluded I am illegible for disability/family leave pay. Fortunately my wonderful boss paid me for an entire week (despite me only working 4 days, and not full days at that), so we've been able to make rent. I had to send a letter in today... Here's hoping it doesn't take too long for them to re-process

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    The pictures on this page get (*) (*) (*) (*) (*)

You guys seriously have some cute kids.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    DC is totally from the future.

Also, I'm finally home. Wife and son are still in the hospital--normal c-section stay--and I came home to prep the dog for her new brother. I had tons of fun at the hospital with my family. Luckily, we delivered at one of the best area hospitals for that sort of thing, and were put on the floor where my wife works, so everyone knew us. It got a little overwhelming during shift changes because everyone wanted to see him, and she was a little over protective--they wanted to keep him in the nursery to pass him around, and she wanted to keep him close--but I think everyone was happy.

What surprised me the most is that my father came every day to visit. He also took my house keys and steamcleaned my house for me without me knowing (I was in the bathroom when the wife and him had the convo). It's my side's first grandkid, her side's 7th.

Samuel can be a handful. He got Newborn rash, but still looks super handsome. After I take a nap in a real bed I'll post some pictures for you all. My favorite story so far is my first diaper change, trying to get the meconium out of his butt, and then while I'm getting the new diaper ready I hear a loud pop like someone just blew a bubblegum bubble, and I look down. There is a perfect circle of meconium dangling from his but again. it was hilarious to us.

It sounded better in my head.

Once again, thanks to everyone for the support. The network in the hospital sucks and we only brought tablets, so I couldn't even really post at all.

edit:
    temporary-4.jpg
    temporary-5.jpg

belligerent on
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Big baby

cute baby

2x39jD4.jpg
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Aw, what a cutie! :)

And that was so sweet of your father! Helpful parents are the best. I seriously don't know what I would've done without Mori's mother during l&d

Also Anya is fine, a good healthy baby, but holy shit my recovery seems to have taken a nose dive today. I had bad cramping earlier to seriously rival labour, although fortunately these were fixed with a really hot shower and a high dose of ibuprofen. And I have been having serious bathroom issues (resulting in a broken towel rail this evening...)

The pictures on this page get (*) (*) (*) (*) (*)

You guys seriously have some cute kids.
    DC is totally from the future.

Yes. And yours is 110% cute.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Good to see he can give you the stink eye with either, helps vary up the looks of disgust and eye rolls.

Anya just slept from 3 am - 8.30 am... I got over 5 straight hours of sleep!

I'd feel bad, but she did seriously cluster feed right before bed so I think she's still eating enough!

• belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    We came home today. Everything is gravy. He loved the car, and since it's new, I loved driving him. The wife's staples came out and she hasn't been bleeding. We got so much stuff while we were there from her work mates. They're sleeping now, but it's good to be home.

moar pictures:
    548370_10102744619013384_9307553_91628556_2140214622_n.jpg
    543503_10150784288488394_732758393_9574328_1224784054_n.jpg
    403501_10150784289323394_732758393_9574330_840805191_n.jpg
    524411_10150799496873394_732758393_9586900_320835526_n.jpg

• testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Congrats again @belligerent. Your baby is super cute.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    other people kids: play with them for a little then give them back to their parents

this is me and my brother in-law. he has twin girls

dscf0136l.jpg

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Apparently that's the grandparent rule too. Oh hi little one! You're so cute, la la la .. .. ok you're smelling ripe. Back to dad you go!

@belligerent, aw, so so cute! And holy hell I looove that dinosaur onesie.

Jar - You have two lovely nieces!

And yes that is the beauty of other people's children... Although I still prefer having my own baby, mainly because I am awkward as hell with other people's children, and I think they sense it.

Ugh this second week post partum has definitely been the worst - for me. I think I expected myself to recover too quickly and I definitely ditched the ibuprofen and stool softeners too soon. :(

Also I don't really mind cluster feeding, but I swear it usually happens when I'm at my hungriest and thirstiest!

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    They know. Babies can sense when you're at your weakest point and then they strike. It's like living with a ninja death mark, you have to always be ready and watch your back.

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    And it's not just the kid, it's the universe at large

People will call at bad times, or ring your doorbell, or Mori will unwittingly barge in to ask you a question

This morning I was on the verge of putting the lad back to sleep, I'm leaned over the crib singing to him and he's settling and his little eyes are closing and

SUDDEN MEGAMAN MUSIC

I forget which boss/level/whatever but it is a rambunctious tune that my husband uses as an alarm

And that is why we don't have a gun in the house

Hahaha

Well, it was my own body that interfered this time, Anya woke up at 5, fed, and instantly fell asleep like a good girl, and then I got cramps which are just starting to fade a shower, ibuprofen and 2 hrs later

And now of course no point going back to bed as she'll need her next feed soonish

We have first doctor appt today! Hopefully she's gained well; she's certainly been producing enough dirty diapers. My biggest fear is finding out I've been unwittingly starving her!

Aaaaand my mother arrives on Monday. She is staying a month and I am so excited!

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    That sounds good janson.

It will help you have a bit of a break.

I do hope the Dr's appt relieves you of all your anxiety, Janson. Also hope your body gets back into shape soon :) Our appt is on Monday, so we'll see how our girl is doing. Preeeeetty darn certain she's back to at least her birthweight. She's been eating well.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Janson I've only just come back so I know it's belated but CONRGATULATIONS to you and Mori on your gorgeous baby girl!

I left Mori a drunken congratulations on steam chat the other day but I don't think that really counts

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    Thanks, Tef!

Blake - things haven't been too tough but I'm certainly looking forward to home cooked meals again, and it'll certainly be nice to have someone to occasionally hand Anya to!

Syphyre - Thank you, so do I! And will be hoping you get good news at your appt too!

This morning I woke up to a veeeery cute little girl smiling down at me, bouncing, and saying "dada dada dadada!".

Then she dumped a cup of cold water on my chest.

That's a metaphor for my whole parenting experience, so far. :)

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    belligerent that last photo you posted is pretty much the best.

• premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Well my kid decided now that she's a full 18 months old, indoors is for chumps and she hates being inside most of the time now.
    Yesterday she put her boots on(she can only put her boots on by herself, hasn't quite figured shoes out), grabbed her jacket, brought me my shoes and then stood by the door(getting crankier by the second) until I was done putting supper in the oven and finally took her outside.

She has grown an inch to 20.5 inches.

She is nearly back at her birth weight - 7 lbs 2 oz. I had hoped she would be back up to it, but doctor doesn't seem fussed and says she is perfectly healthy. :)

Premium - that is pretty cute! And great that she likes the outdoors, although tiring for you I bet!

premium wrote: »
    Well my kid decided now that she's a full 18 months old, indoors is for chumps and she hates being inside most of the time now.
    Yesterday she put her boots on(she can only put her boots on by herself, hasn't quite figured shoes out), grabbed her jacket, brought me my shoes and then stood by the door(getting crankier by the second) until I was done putting supper in the oven and finally took her outside.

Ours does exactly the same thing. She'll bring me my shoes with this plaintive look on her face and then point at the door...
    We can even say "but you need socks to go outside!" and she'll go looking for socks.
    It's cute 'til she's pounding on the apartment door at 9pm demanding to go to the park... :P

camo_sig2.png
    Lily is going to have open heart surgery on Monday to repair her VSD. Don't have much else to say, but any prayers, thoughts, whatever would be appreciated.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Lily is going to have open heart surgery on Monday to repair her VSD. Don't have much else to say, but any prayers, thoughts, whatever would be appreciated.

I hope it goes well for her and you, I'll be thinking of you!

Oh wow. We'll be rooting for you and her! Be safe, little Lily.

camo_sig2.png
  • premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Premium - that is pretty cute! And great that she likes the outdoors, although tiring for you I bet!

I haven't been getting nearly enough exercise since she's been born so it works out pretty good
    premium wrote: »

Ours does exactly the same thing. She'll bring me my shoes with this plaintive look on her face and then point at the door...
    We can even say "but you need socks to go outside!" and she'll go looking for socks.
    It's cute 'til she's pounding on the apartment door at 9pm demanding to go to the park... :P

It's neat how fast they start understanding things at this age, I swear 2 months ago she didn't know what a boot was and now I say "get your boots" and she just goes and puts them on.

Hope everything goes well for you guys!

My prayers will be with her, and you, DC.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Slowly moving through informing most of our friends and stuff. D&D night was good. Jen handed me a print out of the scan and I just asked "So, hands up who hasn't worked out Jen's pregnant?". These guys are over every week and Jen's really been struggling to stay at the table between nausea and fatigue. Also, the time she was completely passed out on the couch in her pajamas with a copy of 'What to expect when you're expecting' next to her when they turned up.

Two of them still raised their hands.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I would have been one of those two

2x39jD4.jpg
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    @Janson how have the cats reacted to the baby?

• bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular

Sending good thoughts and prayers to your family!

skettios wrote: »
    @Janson how have the cats reacted to the baby?
    Really well! They completely ignore her. :)

And DC, sending lots of good thoughts and best wishes yours and Lily's way!

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

I often say people pray frivolously, instead of reserving that power for moments like this. That said, I will be sending a prayer, hoping things go smoothly.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

Best of wishes go out to you & little Lily.

As scary as it is for you, she won't remember it at all. I barely remember going back when I was 6; mostly just eating mac n' cheese at the hospital and playing with the other kids.

This discussion has been closed.