As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Oh and in regards to Arkham City and the GOTY edition coming out in a month or so, afaik (someone correct me if I am wrong), the only thing included in it that isn't out now is some story DLC that will be $10 by itself. So itis probably a better deal to just get the Arkham Pack now and just add on the DLC when it drops.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Oh joy, Steam is now ignoring the "Don't update my game" setting and trying to grab a 1.2GB update to Witcher 1, which I'm sure will screw with something I have modded. Stupid thing!

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Oh joy, Steam is now ignoring the "Don't update my game" setting and trying to grab a 1.2GB update to Witcher 1, which I'm sure will screw with something I have modded. Stupid thing!

It was trying to redownload the entire game for me this morning. Fortunately, it decided not to do that after I paused it and restarted Steam.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    The "don't update my games" setting has never worked for me on Steam.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    The Witcher soundtrack appeared in the registry the other day, in all likelihood that's what the update is about.

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Same here; seems like you can't go a single day without some stupid > 120MB patch for TF2.

• Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    It still boggles my mind that Steam is so successful and ubiquitous, but the software is still so lacking and the social networking features are still so rudimentary. Could be printing advertising money if they gave people a reason to be on steam all the time.

I mean, I assume I'm pretty normally. I spend a couple minutes on Steam's website at around 10:30 to check dailies/weeklies. But thats it. I don't leave people comments, I hardly write reviews, I try to remember to use the chat but its so poorly implemented.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    It still boggles my mind that Steam is so successful and ubiquitous, but the software is still so lacking and the social networking features are still so rudimentary. Could be printing advertising money if they gave people a reason to be on steam all the time.

I mean, I assume I'm pretty normally. I spend a couple minutes on Steam's website at around 10:30 to check dailies/weeklies. But thats it. I don't leave people comments, I hardly write reviews, I try to remember to use the chat but its so poorly implemented.

I would genuinely love a chat client that integrated with messenger aggregators (Trillian, Digsby etc) or even a stand alone that didn't require the Steam Client installed. I want to be on chat while I'm in the office (great while waiting for an environment to reboot), but unsurprisingly, they aren't keen on 'gaming clients' on work laptops :(

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    CroakerBC wrote: »

I would genuinely love a chat client that integrated with messenger aggregators (Trillian, Digsby etc) or even a stand alone that didn't require the Steam Client installed. I want to be on chat while I'm in the office (great while waiting for an environment to reboot), but unsurprisingly, they aren't keen on 'gaming clients' on work laptops :(

Yeah, a more integrated web experience allowing us to add games to our accounts and access chat through the web would be nice. Steam's ports are not allowed by default on most company firewalls, if you can even get the client installed in the first place.

How long is Toy Soldiers going to be 25% off? I'm considering it, but not sure. Also debating on Sanctum. And I've already got Dungeon Defenders from the Indie pack.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of zombies, are you? Contain the outbreak!

signature.png

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    It is so strange to see 0 people in the steam group chat. Did steam explode or something?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    RedlanceRedlance Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    It is so strange to see 0 people in the steam group chat. Did steam explode or something?
    Chat breaks sometimes, no idea what causes it though.

In transformers related stuff, I forgot how annoying the lack of chat is. Especially when your about to get a weapon you need and someone runs off to the next checkpoint and warps you over.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Thanks to the lovely @RikDaly for some transforming action!

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    Does anyone want a copy of Batman: Arkham Asylum? I was thinking of buying that Batman bundle and giving the extra copy to someone if I do.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Anyone have an opinion on Titan Attacks!?

Looks like the same people who made Revenge of the Titans which was decent (but not amazing). But it also looks like a fancy space invaders and doesn't retain any of the tower defense stuff.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    it is basically a fancy space invaders.
    I didn't like it as much as space invaders extreme, but it was still fun for a while

• Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    I really like Titan Attacks, I view it as the epitome of Space Invaders style games. Really good fun, and well worth the dead cheap price.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    heenato wrote: »

The Chats often break. On your end you appear to stay online, but you are no longer seeing any new messages. Have to quit the chat, reopen it get in sync again.

For me, the PA steam chat broke about 2 hours ago (again).

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    Hey rickbdman, or @DaringDirk, congratulations on winning Sniper Elite! Unfortunately Steam has been really wonky and I haven't been able to access my inventory, I'll send you the game as soon as I can!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

It has been doing this for me as well. I have a lot of updates on pause because Steam just goes out and does it whenever it wants lol.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Thanks to the lovely @RikDaly for some transforming action!

no problem! hope you enjoy it
    Anyone have an opinion on Titan Attacks!?

Looks like the same people who made Revenge of the Titans which was decent (but not amazing). But it also looks like a fancy space invaders and doesn't retain any of the tower defense stuff.

I grabbed it while the dev was giving it away for his birthday and it's a great little game

pretty much space invaders but you can upgrade your ship and it looks amazing. I've only got up to the second boss so far but I've had a lot of fun with it, anyway just accept my friend request and you can find out for yourself

also

signature.png

rikdaly on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Does anyone want a copy of Batman: Arkham Asylum? I was thinking of buying that Batman bundle and giving the extra copy to someone if I do.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of interest if you do. I'd feel awful just asking for it but I'll gladly enter if you decide to make it a contest for the thread to compete on and have some fun.

And yes, Titan Attacks is a lot of fun. I got it for free on that birthday promo thingy but it is well worth the full price. It's the best space invaders since... well, Space Invaders. :D

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Inzigna wrote: »
    Hey rickbdman, or @DaringDirk, congratulations on winning Sniper Elite! Unfortunately Steam has been really wonky and I haven't been able to access my inventory, I'll send you the game as soon as I can!

No worries at all Inzigna, and thanks so much! Also, wanted to give a classy shout-out to @Sumanai for randomly sending me today's daily, Titan Attacks!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    So has anyone played that Orion: Dino Beatdown game? It looks pretty fun but it seems that every game that features dinosaurs turns out to be a huge turd. It's like developers that love dinos can't make a game for shit. :(

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    What the shit?

Why is the Witcher downloading 16gb?

EDIT: And thanks much to @rikdaly for Titan Attacks!

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options

I haven't purchased it yet either. Buy it and toss it up on Steamgifts, or just random gift. Either is fun to do. :)

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    for some reason, Steam wiped out all my payment info. groaaaaan.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Frei wrote: »

Happened to me too last week. Not sure if the cache just expired or Steam had a hiccup.

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I assume pretty much everyone has it at this point, but I have two DoTA 2 beta invites, if anyone wants them.

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    So, bearing in mind that I am a sophisticated gentleman and only enjoy the finest things (man getting hit in the groin with a football was the highest of art), should I pull the trigger on Nazi Castrator V2 at full price?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    NO, you should buy it for $29.99 - http://getgamesgo.com/product/sniper-elite-v2-po

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    NO, you should buy it for $29.99 - http://getgamesgo.com/product/sniper-elite-v2-po

Oh sweet, thanks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    Frei wrote: »

Happened to me too last week. Not sure if the cache just expired or Steam had a hiccup.

Moi aussi. I had assumed it was because I had the audacity to add something to my shopping cart in the web site, rather than directly in Steam itself, but it coulda been a technical hiccup on Steam's part.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I was Gonna bring my PC down to the living room as my bedroom has been taken over by kids. But I don't have a wireless adaptor for the PC so Steam won't work properly. They need to fix offline mode.

Edit: they're staying till Monday, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Big Isy wrote: »
    I was Gonna bring my PC down to the living room as my bedroom has been taken over by kids. But I don't have a wireless adaptor for the PC so Steam won't work properly. They need to fix offline mode.

Edit: they're staying till Monday, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I just used it last week. Connect ot back up, then click offline mode, then disconnect. Works for me for vacations.

Haven't had to test it in a sudden outage though.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Damn Isy, it seems like it's been one thing or another keeping you off Steam lately.

We all know it's really your PS3, man.

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    I want to give away two copies of Titan Attcks! but SteamGifts is so... boring. Let's do a contest instead.

PM me your Space Invaders story. Either the first memorable time you played it, or some other narratively interesting prose that's somehow connected to Space Invaders. I'll make an arbitrary and probably unfair judgement as to which two stories I like best & gift Titan Attacks! to the winners (and post the stories in this thread, so don't mention anything you don't want public [you pervs]).

Here's my story, as an example. (Don't worry I won't use it in the contest.)
    When I was growing up, the computers they had for student use in the Ontario school board - at least at the time - were all Icon systems. Icons were curious pseudo-mainframe systems with a central server that looked a bit like a mini-filing cabinet, and a series of dumb terminals which were large, nigh-indestructible single-piece plastic monstrosities, with a wide built-in keyboard and an integral trackball. I think they ran some flavor of Unix.
    I mostly remember them for three things: Learning Turing, playing Math Maze, and lastly, that they were such crappy systems that the arrival of the IBM PS1s to classrooms was a HUGE deal for the students.... mostly because the IBM PS1s they gave us could had Space Invaders. In a crappy blue-and-white monochrome display, but it was the same game you'd recognize from the arcades or the Atari.
    We weren't *allowed* to play Space Invaders on them, even outside of class time (it wasn't one of the educational games and I think the teachers thought it was a waste of time/abuse of school resources), but the teachers had no idea how to remove the software, so any spare moment we could find we'd be firing up the game and playing - assuming we could get the use of one of these rarest-of-rare machines. I think our school had maybe 2 or 3 of them, compared to about four times that many Icons. People would literally fight each other for the priviledge of using these things at recess to enjoy 15 minutes of blocky pew-pew-pew, since the only games available on the Icons were universally terrible (despite my aforementioned affection for Math Maze). So it was a constant batltle of subterfuge trying to hide the fact that we were playing Space Invaders instead of doing schoolwork, trying to actually get screen time on one of the IBMs in competition with each other, and trying to hide the fact that we were fighting each other for screen time on the IBMS in order to play Space Invaders.
    Eventually they succeeded in deleting the game, and our juvenile hijinks were quashed, but there were a few good months in there that still come back fondly whenever I think about that game.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Haha thats actually the main reason for wanting to bring it down, compare how shitty the PS3 really is to the PC :p

its down now, just gotta connect it up. Gonna use my phone to hook it up the network. PDAnet ftw!

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    What the shit?

Why is the Witcher downloading 16gb?

EDIT: And thanks much to @rikdaly for Titan Attacks!

Suddenly my 1.5GB doesn't sound so bad, thanks! :)

• Options
    thejaxxthejaxx Expo Zone Leader Tukwila, WaRegistered User regular
    thejaxx wrote: »
    As my thank you gift to being welcomed into the group, I give you DCS A-10C Warthog. I know its not strictly a RPG, but who doesn't like blowing stuff up with one the meanest planes around?!

signature.png

Less then 5 hours left.

This discussion has been closed.