As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] New Vegas: Ultimate Edition is now out on Steam! Now you have no excuse.

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I would like to see it set in China. Check out the other side of the war story.
    What culture would you give them though? Part of the appeal of Fallout is that it is set in 1950s version of the future, and I am not sure what the Chinese 1950s version of the future would look like.

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    Neaden wrote: »
    FO3 really should have been set before FO1 I think because of how destroyed they wanted everything to look. It is what, 200 years after the bomb fell at that point and you can still find Chinese soldier corpses with ammunition on it?

It was talked about before but I think Bethesda has a rule to only make sequels for whatever dumb reason. Don't know the source though, so could be complete BS. That said, I'm pretty sure NV was also first meant to take place a little earlier in the timeline.

When I played FO3 again recently, It made a lot more sense when I imagined it was only 20 or 30 years after bombs fell. Maybe not from a storyline point of view, but from a thematic and aesthetic one.

Having the CONELRAD radio mod made it even moreso.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    What culture would you give them though? Part of the appeal of Fallout is that it is set in 1950s version of the future, and I am not sure what the Chinese 1950s version of the future would look like.
    Presumably, this was at least partially fleshed out when the designers determined that the two sides of the war would be the US and China. You don't have to look far for inspiration on Nuclear Age China:
    chinese-propaganda-poster.jpg

1967-Scatter-the-old-world.jpg

fe021.jpg

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

China plays quite a bit into the Fallout lore and someone who has sufficent knowdledge about chinese history could certainly develop from that and 50's divergence.

C2B on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So basically, cold war Russia, except Chinese
    FO3 really should have been set before FO1 I think because of how destroyed they wanted everything to look. It is what, 200 years after the bomb fell at that point and you can still find Chinese soldier corpses with ammunition on it?

It was talked about before but I think Bethesda has a rule to only make sequels for whatever dumb reason. Don't know the source though, so could be complete BS. That said, I'm pretty sure NV was also first meant to take place a little earlier in the timeline.
    I vaugely remember something about how Obsidian wanted to put new vegas a few decades before FO3, but it was nixed by bethesda

steam_sig.png
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Yeah, China's the one place that feels like you could have a game, outside North America. It's even got the American forces who invaded being marooned over there if you get the whole "I'm an AMERICAN, and I don't want to play as a GODLESS COMMUNIST!" thing.

And there could be all kinds of endgame nastiness. I mean, China was at least as full of bastards as the USA come the great war, but with totally different plans going.

FEV lead to mutants, and continuity of government gave us the Enclave. Probably at least a game's worth of similar in China.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Yeah, China's the one place that feels like you could have a game, outside North America. It's even got the American forces who invaded being marooned over there if you get the whole "I'm an AMERICAN, and I don't want to play as a GODLESS COMMUNIST!" thing.

And there could be all kinds of endgame nastiness. I mean, China was at least as full of bastards as the USA come the great war, but with totally different plans going.

FEV lead to mutants, and continuity of government gave us the Enclave. Probably at least a game's worth of similar in China.

The tone could still feel off though. Part of the setting is the juxtaposition of the mundane suburban aesthetic with super science. Nuclear fusion is available in portable forum but people are just shoving it into the houseware aisle at Sear's. Putting radioactive isotopes into soda makes perfect sense in the world. OWB's cramming of AI into jukeboxes, toasters, and sinks is an extension of all that. There's a whimsy and innocence in all the pre-war goods and tech that stands out from the grimdark present. There's hope and optimism that was wiped out by the war but you come across it when scavenging around and the possibility of being able to restore a bit of it is a driving force in the games.

In contrast, China stayed grimdark for quite a few decades. You go from fighting the Japanese in one decade to Nationalists and Commies fighting in the next decade to publicly executing political dissidents and people refusing to renounce their faith not long after to massive famines rivaling casualties of world wars due to mismanaged economic and industrial policies by the government. This is quite a bit different in tone. Having parts of a game take place in China could be interesting but I'm not sure a game solely set there would have the same feel. It could still be a great and intriguing game of course but it would feel more like STALKER than Fallout.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Just completed Honest Hearts. Good fun and more importantly I found:
    Desert Ranger combat armor. I look fucking boss guys.

Now to do Dead Money and Lonesome Road.

Then I should probably get back to the main quest. Unless I find something else to do.

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

The tone could still feel off though. Part of the setting is the juxtaposition of the mundane suburban aesthetic with super science. Nuclear fusion is available in portable forum but people are just shoving it into the houseware aisle at Sear's. Putting radioactive isotopes into soda makes perfect sense in the world. OWB's cramming of AI into jukeboxes, toasters, and sinks is an extension of all that. There's a whimsy and innocence in all the pre-war goods and tech that stands out from the grimdark present. There's hope and optimism that was wiped out by the war but you come across it when scavenging around and the possibility of being able to restore a bit of it is a driving force in the games.

In contrast, China stayed grimdark for quite a few decades. You go from fighting the Japanese in one decade to Nationalists and Commies fighting in the next decade to publicly executing political dissidents and people refusing to renounce their faith not long after to massive famines rivaling casualties of world wars due to mismanaged economic and industrial policies by the government. This is quite a bit different in tone. Having parts of a game take place in China could be interesting but I'm not sure a game solely set there would have the same feel. It could still be a great and intriguing game of course but it would feel more like STALKER than Fallout.

Late to the party on this, but I'm going through Singularity at the moment, and they do an admirable job presenting a (fake-accented, to be sure) Russian take on the 50s, complete with cartoonish propaganda, rampant paranoia, and depictions of super-science run amok. It's contrasted, effectively, against flashbacks of scientists falling prey to some unexplained calamity, alongside more subtle details (small bodies huddled for cover under school desks, for instance). It's not perfect, of course - comparisons to Bioshock are inevitable - but I think there's room to show other Cold War-era societies going through similar motions, albeit with certain cultural distinctions.

That said, I do agree that the 50s Americana feel is an important element of Fallout, one that keeps the series more or less locked stateside. However, I would welcome an in-universe look at how the other half was living at the same time. It'd probably need a whole new title, if only to head off the storm of complaints about taking the game out of the US.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I think that Fallout has always been about the Pacific Northwest, inspired by stuff like The Postman. Fallout 3 was kinda novel in that you got to traipse around a bunch of historical American landmarks, but the game as a whole felt much more like a sidestory than a real sequel.

The point of isolating the story on the left coast is that you have no idea what is going on anywhere outside of the range of your average trade caravan. There's no communication. New York City might be a thriving haven that has been rebuilding itself for 200 years, or it might glow in the dark, you have no idea and it doesn't matter because you've got Deathclaws and slavers and corruption to worry about right where you are.

If Fallout 4 is set in the same area as earlier games I think it would be pretty awesome to see the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz.

edited May 2012
    I think that Fallout has always been about the Pacific Northwest, inspired by stuff like The Postman. Fallout 3 was kinda novel in that you got to traipse around a bunch of historical American landmarks, but the game as a whole felt much more like a sidestory than a real sequel.

The point of isolating the story on the left coast is that you have no idea what is going on anywhere outside of the range of your average trade caravan. There's no communication. New York City might be a thriving haven that has been rebuilding itself for 200 years, or it might glow in the dark, you have no idea and it doesn't matter because you've got Deathclaws and slavers and corruption to worry about right where you are.

If Fallout 4 is set in the same area as earlier games I think it would be pretty awesome to see the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz.
    Except Bethesda insists on having time march ever forward. Heck, by FOT/VB, SF was probably already absorbed by the NCR

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dharma BumDharma Bum Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Except Bethesda insists on having time march ever forward. Heck, by FOT/VB, SF was probably already absorbed by the NCR

I remember several dozen pages of furious angah on the NMA forums when they found out the era FO3 would be taking place. One of the chief complainers was some science wiz explaining how surely society would have rebuilt by 200 years after a nuclear war, explaining that the radiation halflife would be over and mutated animals wouldn't be able to survive or reproduce efficiently after a couple generations, and so on and so on.

How many times can you jump a decade or century forward in a post-nuke franchise before it becomes something else entirely? Concurrent stories in different isolated communities would make a lot more sense to me in terms of sequels for this franchise.

olgafjpg.jpg
    Again. Fucking little lamplight. How does it fucking work?

steam_sig.png
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    In Fallout 3, children are immortal

• WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Apparently in FO3 you can use mister sandman to repeatedly kill children for infinite xp.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Apparently in FO3 you can use mister sandman to repeatedly kill children for infinite xp.
    This was patched out, but yes. It was an interesting and gamebreaking (if a bit tedious) exploit.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    To have a good game set in China you'd have to drastically alter the setting, China was consumed by large scale rioting and starvation before the bombs fell, there wouldn't be shit lying around

Also while F03 and NV strained credulity with all the prewar shit lying around hundreds of years after it was left there, even futurerer games will be more silly. I can't wrap my brain around why Bethesda decided to go with 200 years in the future

edited May 2012
    To have a good game set in China you'd have to drastically alter the setting, China was consumed by large scale rioting and starvation before the bombs fell, there wouldn't be shit lying around

Also while F03 and NV strained credulity with all the prewar shit lying around hundreds of years after it was left there, even futurerer games will be more silly. I can't wrap my brain around why Bethesda decided to go with 200 years in the future

There's a trope for the latter subject, but I'd like to amend it by saying that writers, in general, have no sense of scale. If I recall right, FO2 was 160 years into the future; I don't find functional robots and working pre-war firearms just lying on a shelf somewhere much less ludicrous for the 40-year difference. Frankly it happens so often in games that I usually tune it out unless it's particularly glaring. That said, I do agree the series can't plausibly keep going forward without eventually losing the 'post-war' aspect. Sideways development in different pockets of the game universe, with smaller jumps ahead in time where necessary, would probably be the safest option.

Stolls on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    WME or WMX? SOMEONE GUIDE ME!

jkZziGc.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I think you can assume that if you find a rifle sitting on a shelf somewhere that doesn't have to mean that it's been there for two hundred years. People have come and gone, someone could have left it there a week before you showed up and never came back for it because they were too busy being dead.

The fact that the food has been sitting around for that long and is still edible is a little unusual. Fallout 3's boxes of mac and cheese and canned meat were pretty ridiculous. That, and there are only two options for corpses, either perfectly preserved without a hint of decay, or skelatonized.

Couple this with the lack of vegetation and Fallout 3 really feels like it takes place a couple years after the war, not a couple centuries.

The thing that bugs me the most is that I seem to be the only person who is wandering around in the wasteland. It wasn't until Mothership Zeta that I saw another person who was just out in the wasteland looking for something to explore or loot.

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Pharezon wrote: »

I'm a WME man myself. Never had any issues with it and most of the mods seem sensible.

A WME'd Survivalists Rifle becomes pretty darn impressive (silencer, scope, something else I forget), and is something that seldom leaves my inventory.

• PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Pharezon wrote: »

I'm a WME man myself. Never had any issues with it and most of the mods seem sensible.

A WME'd Survivalists Rifle becomes pretty darn impressive (silencer, scope, something else I forget), and is something that seldom leaves my inventory.

I took the plunge. You have a new convert on this day.

jkZziGc.png
    Stolls wrote: »
    Late to the party on this, but I'm going through Singularity at the moment, and they do an admirable job presenting a (fake-accented, to be sure) Russian take on the 50s, complete with cartoonish propaganda, rampant paranoia, and depictions of super-science run amok. It's contrasted, effectively, against flashbacks of scientists falling prey to some unexplained calamity, alongside more subtle details (small bodies huddled for cover under school desks, for instance). It's not perfect, of course - comparisons to Bioshock are inevitable - but I think there's room to show other Cold War-era societies going through similar motions, albeit with certain cultural distinctions.

That said, I do agree that the 50s Americana feel is an important element of Fallout, one that keeps the series more or less locked stateside. However, I would welcome an in-universe look at how the other half was living at the same time. It'd probably need a whole new title, if only to head off the storm of complaints about taking the game out of the US.

I actually could see Russia working better for the setting than China since they had a lot more different things going on with their technology and media in the 50s. The contrast between that and the messiness of brutal authoritarianism suits the setting.

There's a trope for the latter subject, but I'd like to amend it by saying that writers, in general, have no sense of scale. If I recall right, FO2 was 160 years into the future; I don't find functional robots and working pre-war firearms just lying on a shelf somewhere much less ludicrous for the 40-year difference. Frankly it happens so often in games that I usually tune it out unless it's particularly glaring. That said, I do agree the series can't plausibly keep going forward without eventually losing the 'post-war' aspect. Sideways development in different pockets of the game universe, with smaller jumps ahead in time where necessary, would probably be the safest option.

In the first two games, most of the time the shelves were in settled areas so it wasn't so much scavenging as burglary. The first two games had far fewer places for you to comb through for loot that weren't also death traps. Sure there was plenty of stuff in the Glow and the Sierra Army Depot but those places were dangerous and even then you saw the remains of other scavengers.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I'd love to see a game that takes place right after the war. The Survivalist's journal entries were easily the best part of Honest Hearts.

I actually could see Russia working better for the setting than China since they had a lot more different things going on with their technology and media in the 50s. The contrast between that and the messiness of brutal authoritarianism suits the setting.

I always found it interesting that China morphed into the Red Menace in place of Russia. It may have simply been a style choice, it's been a while since I've brushed up on the backstory, but I like to think there's more to it. Maybe Russia lost control of its postwar territories and collapsed inward along with Europe, leaving China to do the heavy lifting against isolationist America. Hell, maybe the whole 'communist bloc' was a myth, and China and Russia hated each other almost as much as the West.

Really, there is some fascinating alternate history at work here. It's largely just to set the stage, but I love digging into stuff like this.

In the first two games, most of the time the shelves were in settled areas so it wasn't so much scavenging as burglary. The first two games had far fewer places for you to comb through for loot that weren't also death traps. Sure there was plenty of stuff in the Glow and the Sierra Army Depot but those places were dangerous and even then you saw the remains of other scavengers.

Fair enough, but the larger point is while I agree that "stuff lying around and still working after so many decades" looks silly, I'm not comfortable setting a hard-and-fast line where X years is okay, but X+1 shatters the atmosphere beyond repair. Lord knows I wouldn't really touch an 80-year-old needle no matter how well it had been preserved. Fallout played fast and loose with sci-fi from the get go, and so stuff lasting longer than it should - or being left untouched for as long - is fairly low on my list of grievances.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

I always found it interesting that China morphed into the Red Menace in place of Russia. It may have simply been a style choice, it's been a while since I've brushed up on the backstory, but I like to think there's more to it. Maybe Russia lost control of its postwar territories and collapsed inward along with Europe, leaving China to do the heavy lifting against isolationist America. Hell, maybe the whole 'communist bloc' was a myth, and China and Russia hated each other almost as much as the West.

Really, there is some fascinating alternate history at work here. It's largely just to set the stage, but I love digging into stuff like this.

Fair enough, but the larger point is while I agree that "stuff lying around and still working after so many decades" looks silly, I'm not comfortable setting a hard-and-fast line where X years is okay, but X+1 shatters the atmosphere beyond repair. Lord knows I wouldn't really touch an 80-year-old needle no matter how well it had been preserved. Fallout played fast and loose with sci-fi from the get go, and so stuff lasting longer than it should - or being left untouched for as long - is fairly low on my list of grievances.

Russia's barely mentioned in Fallout, but what there is seems to say it's more buddy buddy with Uncle Sam than the Chinese.

One of the prebuilt characters in Fallout 1 is the granddaughter of a Russian diplomat. Which means Russian diplomats were on the list for Vaults. Meanwhile, Chinese-Americans were subjected to hideous medical experiments. Says something.

• mr manmr man Registered User regular

I've always figured that as humanity had been pretty much decimated by the war that there are a lot less people around to actually go looking for stuff. Not to mention the dangers of the wastes and the DC ruins it's not surprising that there are still plenty of thing lying around untouched.

I've generally interpreted it as the break up of the USSR happening as it did in our reality and then the Russian states cozying up with the EU. Which would lead to them being dragged into the resource wars with the Middle East and a sharp decline as the resources ran out during the course of that conflict. There are a lot of areas we don't really hear much about though and it's worth remembering that Fallout 1 and 2 were made in the 90s when China was coming more and more into prominence and the Russian states were figuring out what to do with themselves after the USSR broke up.

Steam Profile
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    While it would fall outside the plot (since the USSR is not enemy number one, the PRC is.)

I was always under the impression that one requirement of the FO universe was a frozen status quo right up to the nuclear exchange--that is, while there is no longer a PRC, a USA, or a USSR, all three existed as we remember them in history right up to this event. Which means the United States did not break up, nor did the Soviet Union (as we know happened in 1991).

China plays quite a bit into the Fallout lore and someone who has sufficent knowdledge about chinese history could certainly develop from that and 50's divergence.

China is more central to the plot, but that being said, the FO games have a satirical treatment of 1950s America, no? If you wanted to apply the same thing to China, it would require actually reading up and listening to experts on Chinese history--of which there are a huge number, particularly in China itself, but it's often the sort of things developers don't really care about since the average American knows as much about Chinese history as they know about the planet Mars. It's extremely easy to get stuck with a one-sided, shallow Chinese setting. Take the 1950s by itself, prior to the Great Leap Forward--the White Terror in Taiwan, the end of Warlordism and feudalism, the forging of a new national identity, the mass mobilization of society, the suspicion and demonizing of the old imperial powers (Europe, the United States, etc.). That's all before the Great Leap Forward. After the Great Leap Forward, you have a radically different view of the future, just like you do after the Cultural Revolution and into the 1980s. I'm just picking the 1950s because I think that's what FO has been about thusfar--these sort of subtleties might be beyond most US developers.

Meanwhile, Bethesda can't even hire Chinese-speaking V/A who don't suck for Operation Anchorage--though I've heard people claim that was a deliberate choice. It'd be a lot of work. Not impossible, but more work than Bethesda would want to do. And I can't blame them--time spent making an actual reasonable narrative in the FO setting might be time not spent making the game mechanics or something else better.

I mean, it goes to the reason why you have extremely few American games set in Asian nations. Developers know they don't understand it the way they understand their own culture, or they don't care. Maybe I'm overly pessimistic, but that's my take on it.

Synthesis on
    To be fair, sometimes they have trouble with hiring english VOs...or at least allocating their lines

steam_sig.png
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Synthesis wrote: »

China is more central to the plot, but that being said, the FO games have a satirical treatment of 1950s America, no? If you wanted to apply the same thing to China, it would require actually reading up and listening to experts on Chinese history--of which there are a huge number, particularly in China itself, but it's often the sort of things developers don't really care about since the average American knows as much about Chinese history as they know about the planet Mars. It's extremely easy to get stuck with a one-sided, shallow Chinese setting. Take the 1950s by itself, prior to the Great Leap Forward--the White Terror in Taiwan, the end of Warlordism and feudalism, the forging of a new national identity, the mass mobilization of society, the suspicion and demonizing of the old imperial powers (Europe, the United States, etc.). That's all before the Great Leap Forward. After the Great Leap Forward, you have a radically different view of the future, just like you do after the Cultural Revolution and into the 1980s. I'm just picking the 1950s because I think that's what FO has been about thusfar--these sort of subtleties might be beyond most US developers.

Meanwhile, Bethesda can't even hire Chinese-speaking V/A who don't suck for Operation Anchorage--though I've heard people claim that was a deliberate choice. It'd be a lot of work. Not impossible, but more work than Bethesda would want to do. And I can't blame them--time spent making an actual reasonable narrative in the FO setting might be time not spent making the game mechanics or something else better.

I mean, it goes to the reason why you have extremely few American games set in Asian nations. Developers know they don't understand it the way they understand their own culture, or they don't care. Maybe I'm overly pessimistic, but that's my take on it.

Well, I agree. That's why I said someone who has sufficent knowdledge about china's history should do it. Was more arguing that it isn't impossible to do so.

C2B on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I think it's a dream that most developers don't have the tact and sensibility to handle without being extremely racist and offensive.
    The gaming industry is not known for it's subversion of stereotypes.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    Oh god I modded it up and then it crashed on startup. I JUST WANT TO PLAY D:

jkZziGc.png
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I would like a Fallout game taking place in a 60's inspired England.

edited May 2012
    Kadoken wrote: »

See, this I could see plausible concerning Bethesda. And it could be pretty enjoyable too. Though I don't know enough about the UK in the 60s myself.

On the other hand, American culture should literally be the most convenient and familiar option for Bethesda, and from what I've seen in FO3 and NV, they've skipped certain things. Like I can understand why China is enemy numero uno, since that was very much the case in the late 1950s and early 1960s, but what about the agitation and eventual rise of the black civil rights movement, and the associated fears of that (which were quite prominent in the 1950s certainly)--as far as I can tell, that's entirely skipped. Maybe it's a much bigger deal in FO1 and FO2.

Synthesis on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

Wouldnt it just be Mad Max with more ettiquette and top hats?

It'd be groovier, no?

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    If I can wear a top hat and a monocle, I'm in.

Buttcleft wrote: »

Wouldnt it just be Mad Max with more ettiquette and top hats?

Oh, Reginald?

*VATS slowdown chooooooom*

I disagree!

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I doubt we'll ever get a new game taking place in another country but some China or Canada DLC could be pretty interesting considering their history with the states in this universe.

Anxiously awaiting the Fallout 4 announcement. Hopefully they aren't planning to wait for next gen.

Interested to see the fun we can squeeze out of the dual wielding mechanic introduced in Skyrim.

Mixing lazer guns and pistols or twin rippers sound amazing.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
This discussion has been closed.