As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: 300+ people lose their jobs. Curt Schilling still rich.

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »
    Did we post this already? If not, I think it might be prudent since we've got some patent talk already on the page...

wiiupatent.jpg

That right there are the supposed innards of the Wii U, as they have been presented to the US patent office. Do note that the illustration is obviously not to scale, as patent illustrations tend to be.

Courtesy of the 'Gaf WUST.

Aww, but I wanted Cheerio-size game CDs!

If you look really closely, the disc is actually bigger than the TV.

Are you sure that's cheerio sized?
    Warlock82 wrote: »

I'm disappointed that everything is generically labeled :( Was hoping for some specs :)

You know Nintendo is above and beyond specs, and have been since the 1800s. Though, of note is that it's got a dedicated DSP and an I/O Controller, and what appears to be a split, threeway memory pool.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
    The difference between their proprietary discs and BluRay though would be the stickers that read "BluRay".

It's still gonna be an ultraviolet 405 nanometer laser capable of reading the standard 25/50Gb discs, they probably just won't pay for the license.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

I'm disappointed that everything is generically labeled :( Was hoping for some specs :)

You know Nintendo is above and beyond specs, and have been since the 1800s. Though, of note is that it's got a dedicated DSP and an I/O Controller, and what appears to be a split, threeway memory pool.

I just want to know if it's going to have the rumored actually large RAM size that might give it an edge over current consoles (i.e. while the quality is "like 360/PS3" quality, if they have a ton of RAM, there is a lot of headroom to make things even better than 360/PS3 even without better chips).

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It might be physically similar, but the arrangement of 1s and 0s on the disc itself will probably be very different from the traditional format.

Like, if you take a Wii disc and pop it in your DVD drive on your computer, chances are unless you have a specific model of drive your computer will not even recognize that you've inserted it.

Dehumanized on
    edited May 2012
    It might be physically similar, but the arrangement of 1s and 0s on the disc itself will probably be very different from the traditional format.

Like, if you take a Wii disc and pop it in your DVD drive on your computer, chances are unless you have a specific model of drive your computer will not even recognize that you've inserted it.

The difference is whether or not producers can buy cheap, highly available DVDs to burn their software to vs. proprietary, more expensive disks that increase their manufacturing costs and may turn them off from even considering the system in the first place. (In other words, whether they have to buy directly from Nintendo/whomever or not)

The burning process itself is the only thing that probably makes the things unreadable by computers (or the difference between proprietary bluray or whatever), which is going to be the same regardless of whatever size disk you use.

Edit: And for some reason I was thinking you were talking about Gamecube disks, which when you are actually talking about Wii makes that not make a lot of sense :P Either way, same disk means they can buy them in bulk. The burning process probably isn't that different other than what you have to pay for the stuff to burn it a certain way. But that's probably a one-time fee, I would think...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282

Wii discs are funny though because there's basically this bit on them that reads "Don't read this stuff, unless you're a Wii". That stuff can actually be disregarded by using a selective few models of older DVD players, but that's neither here nor there and I might be wrong anyway.

There's been some speculation about the possibility of Nintendo offering licenses for bluray playback on their online store, but I personally doubt they'd do it.

I just want to know if it's going to have the rumored actually large RAM size that might give it an edge over current consoles (i.e. while the quality is "like 360/PS3" quality, if they have a ton of RAM, there is a lot of headroom to make things even better than 360/PS3 even without better chips).

The best guesses of the brightest minds, going off of a few dev comments made both over and under the table, peg total system memory somewhere around 1.5-2 gigs of varying types of RAM.

With probably 256-512 megs of that total RAM pool dedicated to the OS.

Fucking 512 of them megs for the OS.

The best guesses of the brightest minds, going off of a few dev comments made both over and under the table, peg total system memory somewhere around 1.5-2 gigs of varying types of RAM.

With probably 256-512 megs of that total RAM pool dedicated to the OS.

Fucking 512 of them megs for the OS.

The OS needs to stream games to the tablet :P It makes sense when you think about it.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Did we post this already? If not, I think it might be prudent since we've got some patent talk already on the page...

wiiupatent.jpg

That right there are the supposed innards of the Wii U, as they have been presented to the US patent office. Do note that the illustration is obviously not to scale, as patent illustrations tend to be.

Courtesy of the 'Gaf WUST.

Aww, but I wanted Cheerio-size game CDs!

Pretend there's a picture/vid of K holding the tiny CD from MIB saying he has to buy the White album again.

Nintendo's tried the small disc thing, and I think they ended up finding out it was better to just go full size since they did that with the Wii instead of continuing with that. I want to know if they're going with DVD or Bluray. Has that been confirmed?

MIB+CDs.jpg

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    They'll get that number down as they patch the OS, too (the same has happened for all of the modern, patchable consoles... I think). Hopefully their hardware architecture allows them to utilize that memory for games when the time comes.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    skeldare wrote: »
    Miyamoto on the Vita: It needs games
    Nintendo legend Shigeru Miyamoto has praised the technical capabilities of Sony's PS Vita handheld, but says the machine's software lineup leaves something to be desired.

Speaking to us in Paris, where he was promoting the 3DS-powered visitor's guide at the Louvre museum, Miyamoto did his best to maintain professional courtesy, but couldn't resist having a sly dig at Sony's new handheld.

"It's obviously a very hi-spec machine, and you can do lots of things with it," he said of Vita, which launched in Japan last December and in the west in late February. "But I don't really see the combination of software and hardware that really makes a very strong product."

Since a strong launch - it sold 325,000 units at launch in Japan, and 600,000 in its first few days on western shelves - Vita sales have slumped, particularly in Japan, where it has frequently been outsold by the ageing Wii and even its own predecessor, PSP.

3DS, however, has been Japan's best-selling hardware every single week since last August's price cut - and Miyamoto admits it was a lack of software that held back Nintendo's glasses-free 3D handheld.

"When we launched the 3DS hardware we didn't have Super Mario 3D Land, we didn't have Mario Kart 7, we didn't have Kid Icarus: Uprising," he said. "We were striving to have all of these ready for the launch, but we weren't able to deliver them at that time.

"We were kind of hoping that people would, nevertheless, buy into the product, find 3DS hardware promising, but looking back we have to say we realise the key software was missing when we launched the hardware."

In other words, Vita, like 3DS, needs games, and there are few owners of Sony's new handheld who would disagree with that sentiment. Despite a wide range of launch software, Vita releases since have been thin on the ground; the next big release for the system is Gravity Rush, due in the west in June.

Miyamoto's comments are extracts from an extensive interview in our new issue, E241, which should be with subscribers any day now and will be on sale on May 9. Other topics discussed include his surprising admiration for Angry Birds, and his desire to make a spiritual sequel to SNES classic The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past.
    AladdinGenieJawDrop8fLG.gif

The system has been out for 2 effin months in the west. Sorry that 20 great games haven't come out in that time, but at least it launched with more good games than the 3DS had in the first year of the 3DS being on the market. Also Gravity Rush isn't the only big thing coming out until June, Resistance comes out THIS month.

Edit: The gif isn't too big is it, if it is I'll swap it out?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited May 2012
    It's been out for about 5 months in Japan, which is what I'm sure Miyamoto is basing that on :P

Edit: Assuming this list is even accurate:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games

Sort that by Japanese release date and the list is absolutely tiny. And about half of those aren't even out yet.

Warlock82 on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Uncharted and Resistance aren't games that really entice Japanese gamers.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Resistance isn't a game that entices any gamers.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    It's been out for over a year in Japan, which is what I'm sure Miyamoto is basing that on :P

1. It has not been out for over a year, it has been out for 2 months longer than the US.

2. The article specifically mentions US releases, so yeah Resistance would be a major one. Gravity Haze has already come out in Japan, we are just waiting for it to launch in the west now.

Side note Uncharted was also heavily marketed in Japan, I just couldn't tell you how well it did.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    I think he just took a jab at the un-appearance of MonHun on the platform, knowing perfectly well why it's something Sony can't has.

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    I think he just took a jab at the un-appearance of MonHun on the platform, knowing perfectly well why it's something Sony can't has.

I seriously doubt Capcom would sign an exclusivity deal with anyone. They're the king of porting everything they possibly can.

reVerse wrote: »
    Resistance isn't a game that entices any gamers.

10403267.jpg

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Nintendo legend Shigeru Miyamoto has praised the technical capabilities of Sony's PS Vita handheld, but says the machine's software lineup leaves something to be desired.

Speaking to us in Paris, where he was promoting the 3DS-powered visitor's guide at the Louvre museum, Miyamoto did his best to maintain professional courtesy, but couldn't resist having a sly dig at Sony's new handheld.

"It's obviously a very hi-spec machine, and you can do lots of things with it," he said of Vita, which launched in Japan last December and in the west in late February. "But I don't really see the combination of software and hardware that really makes a very strong product."

Since a strong launch - it sold 325,000 units at launch in Japan, and 600,000 in its first few days on western shelves - Vita sales have slumped, particularly in Japan, where it has frequently been outsold by the ageing Wii and even its own predecessor, PSP.

3DS, however, has been Japan's best-selling hardware every single week since last August's price cut - and Miyamoto admits it was a lack of software that held back Nintendo's glasses-free 3D handheld.

"When we launched the 3DS hardware we didn't have Super Mario 3D Land, we didn't have Mario Kart 7, we didn't have Kid Icarus: Uprising," he said. "We were striving to have all of these ready for the launch, but we weren't able to deliver them at that time.

"We were kind of hoping that people would, nevertheless, buy into the product, find 3DS hardware promising, but looking back we have to say we realise the key software was missing when we launched the hardware."

In other words, Vita, like 3DS, needs games, and there are few owners of Sony's new handheld who would disagree with that sentiment. Despite a wide range of launch software, Vita releases since have been thin on the ground; the next big release for the system is Gravity Rush, due in the west in June.

Miyamoto's comments are extracts from an extensive interview in our new issue, E241, which should be with subscribers any day now and will be on sale on May 9. Other topics discussed include his surprising admiration for Angry Birds, and his desire to make a spiritual sequel to SNES classic The Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past.

The system has been out for 2 effin months in the west. Sorry that 20 great games haven't come out in that time, but at least it launched with more good games than the 3DS had in the first year of the 3DS being on the market. Also Gravity Rush isn't the only big thing coming out until June, Resistance comes out THIS month.

Chill man. This is no different that what they have said about the 3DS during its early period. The lack of games is one of the Vita's shortcomings, as it was for the 3DS.

The problem is that Sony doesn't have quite the ace in the hole that Nintendo does. Hopefully they figure something out.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    R1 did well because it was the solid Sony launch game. R2 practically ruined the franchise and it showed with the sales of R3, which was a return to form.

Vita has a serious problem with games in Japan. This summer it is basically P4 MGS HD minus Peace Walker with the same pricetag and Vocalroid fun time, with FF X HD sometime this year and PSO2 next.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Chill man. This is no different that what they have said about the 3DS during its early period. The lack of games is one of the Vita's shortcomings, as it was for the 3DS.

The problem is that Sony doesn't have quite the ace in the hole that Nintendo does. Hopefully they figure something out.

My jaw dropped because this is quite literally a case of pointing out the pebble in someone elses eye while ignoring the boulder in your own.

My jaw dropped because this is quite literally a case of pointing out the pebble in someone elses eye while ignoring the boulder in your own.

Not really though. Miyamoto compared the Vita's problem to the one that Nintendo had with the 3DS. It's more like they are pointing out that the pebble in the Vita's eye looks very similar to the one they recently had in their eye.

He didn't say anything overly mean or anything. He said "The Vita needs games to sell well, which is the same problem we dealt with when we released the 3DS." Nothing overly negative there.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    Case in point what he said here: "We were kind of hoping that people would, nevertheless, buy into the product, find 3DS hardware promising, but looking back we have to say we realise the key software was missing when we launched the hardware."

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!

Not really though. Miyamoto compared the Vita's problem to the one that Nintendo had with the 3DS. It's more like they are pointing out that the pebble in the Vita's eye looks very similar to the one they recently had in their eye.

He didn't say anything overly mean or anything. He said "The Vita needs games to sell well, which is the same problem we dealt with when we released the 3DS." Nothing overly negative there.

I'm not calling Myamoto an asshole or anything, I'm saying that he's pointing out an issue with the Vita that the 3DS had worse by several orders of magnitude. It's like an obese man telling someone that gained a few pounds that they are getting kinda fat.

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Miyamoto wrote:

Really, it wa like one paragraph down. This was in no way some sort of out of turn comment. He was all but saying, "Yeah, I remember when that happened to us."

Edit: beated. No more phone foruming.

OneAngryPossum on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular

I'm not calling Myamoto an asshole or anything, I'm saying that he's pointing out an issue with the Vita that the 3DS had worse by several orders of magnitude. It's like an obese man telling someone that gained a few pounds that they are getting kinda fat.

So you missed the part where he said 'we made the same mistake and they didn't learn from it'? Headlines just convey so much information though don't they?

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited May 2012
    "Miyamoto wrote:

Really, it wa like one paragraph down. This was in no way some sort of out of turn comment. He was all but saying, "Yeah, I remember when that happened to us."

You know what I completely misspoke with that analogy I was quoting. The word ignore should not have been in my statement, but it was a quote and that's what tripped me up. I didn't mean to say that he ignored the issue on the 3DS, but it was absurdly galling to hear him say that considering that to date the Vita has had a stronger lineup than the 3DS in the same time period. I'm not hating on Nintendo or Myamoto, I have a 3DS too, but nobody can deny the difference in lineups so far. I bought more games for my Vita on day one than I did the entire first year I owned my 3DS. The Vita is JUST ramping up, Sony could have easily paired back the launch lineup to have more to launch over the next few months, but they chose to have an explosive launch lineup, instead of just a solid one with a more steady stream of games.

Edit: That's weird but part of your post doesn't show up in your original post, but it does in my quote of it.

The_Spaniard on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/diablo-iii-projected-to-sell-3-5-million-units-in-2012/095569
    With Diablo III launching later this month, analysts have begun weighing in on what the commercial reception will amount to in terms of units sold.

Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia (via GI.biz) estimates the game will sell 3.5m copies in 2012 alone, and will end up moving around or beyond 4m units for its lifetime figures.

"We think Diablo III, which is releasing after a gap of 12 years since the launch of Diablo II, has the potential to sell more than 4 million units life-time,” Bhatia explained. “We note that Diablo II had sold 4M units by August 2001 or 14 months following its initial release in June 2010."

Diablo III and its auction houses arrive May 15th for PC and OS X.

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    "Miyamoto wrote:

You know what I completely misspoke with that analogy I was quoting. The word ignore should not have been in my statement, but it was a quote and that's what tripped me up. I didn't mean to say that he ignored the issue on the 3DS, but it was absurdly galling to hear him say that considering that to date the Vita has had a stronger lineup than the 3DS in the same time period. I'm not hating on Nintendo or Myamoto, I have a 3DS too, but nobody can deny the difference in lineups so far. I bought more games for my Vita on day one than I did the entire first year I owned my 3DS. The Vita is JUST ramping up, Sony could have easily paired back the launch lineup to have more to launch over the next few months, but they chose to have an explosive launch lineup, instead of just a solid one with a more steady stream of games.

Edit: That's weird but part of your post doesn't show up in your original post, but it does in my quote of it.

Also consider that he's saying this from a Japanese perspective. The 3DS had a better early lineup of games in Japan than it did in the US - for example, it had a new Professor Layton game at launch. For that matter, the 3DS still has a better library of games in Japan than it does in the US.

edited May 2012
    To be honest I'm not sure what Sony's strategy is with the Vita. Hopefully E3 gives us a clearer understanding of it. It had a better launch line-up, (I wouldn't say by several magnitudes, but it was better) but Sony isn't really sharing too much as to what it has working in the pipeline. But that could be because E3 is so close, so I could be totally off base. With the 3DS, you knew what was coming, but I just wish Sony was as forthcoming with the Vita.

Edit: Also Spaniard, what Rainbow said. The 3DS launch was hugely better than the US. And they have Fire Emblem now...and we don't. :cry:

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    With that lineup Sony should have seriously considered making the US the holiday launch platform and waiting a bit for Japan and Europe.

That being said their main problem overhere is getting the word out. The name is different but the damn thing looks quite a bit like the hated PSP.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Once again: no one cares that the Vita has a better lineup than the 3DS of a year ago in the past because it's not fighting against that 3DS but the 3DS of right now in the present which arguably fixed that "no games" problem. Once the Vita gets a few hard hitters we'll compare it to the 3DS of its future and have a clearer picture of everything.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I like how lately nobody in the press mentions Diablo 3 without also mentioning the real money auction house.
    Nobody likes this thing.
    It's something that blizzard knows they are going to get away with because it's coming with fucking Diablo 3 and everybody knows there's nothing they can do about it.
    But that's not the same as liking it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

It's more like a strong and healthy man who was once a weakling but built up his strength over the course of a year telling another weakling what he needs to do to bulk up. The weakling already has bulk up plans of his own but he seems to be taking his sweet time getting started and nobody trusts him because he's acting exactly like his father!

(Because fatness implies lots of something, and in this case the problem is a lack of something, not too much of something.)

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I like how lately nobody in the press mentions Diablo 3 without also mentioning the real money auction house.
    Nobody likes this thing.
    It's something that blizzard knows they are going to get away with because it's coming with fucking Diablo 3 and everybody knows there's nothing they can do about it.
    But that's not the same as liking it.
    Do people really like the hats in TF2?

steam_sig.png
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Auction House lets get cut out the middle man because stuff in Diablo 2 is still sold for hundreds of dollars, I'm totally fine with the auction house.

It's more like a strong and healthy man who was once a weakling but built up his strength over the course of a year telling another weakling what he needs to do to bulk up. The weakling already has bulk up plans of his own but he seems to be taking his sweet time getting started and nobody trusts him because he's acting exactly like his father!

(Because fatness implies lots of something, and in this case the problem is a lack of something, not too much of something.)

I like your analogy though I'd tweak it slightly to mention that the other weakling is less of a weakling to start off than he was.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/diablo-iii-projected-to-sell-3-5-million-units-in-2012/095569
    With Diablo III launching later this month, analysts have begun weighing in on what the commercial reception will amount to in terms of units sold.

Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia (via GI.biz) estimates the game will sell 3.5m copies in 2012 alone, and will end up moving around or beyond 4m units for its lifetime figures.

"We think Diablo III, which is releasing after a gap of 12 years since the launch of Diablo II, has the potential to sell more than 4 million units life-time,” Bhatia explained. “We note that Diablo II had sold 4M units by August 2001 or 14 months following its initial release in June 2010."

Man, I want a job where I can state things which seem pretty obvious and cash a check.

I feel like we bitch about analysts a lot, and I kind of feel bad about it. Then an article like this comes up and reminds me why I can't believe they're paid to do this.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    R1 did well because it was the solid Sony launch game. R2 practically ruined the franchise and it showed with the sales of R3, which was a return to form.

Don't want to derail this thread, but Resistance is a perfectly average FPS series. It's not bad by any means, but it's entirely forgettable. Sony should have realized this by now.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »

Man, I want a job where I can state things which seem pretty obvious and cash a check.

I feel like we bitch about analysts a lot, and I kind of feel bad about it. Then an article like this comes up and reminds me why I can't believe they're paid to do this.

There have been situations where we got really hyped up about something, one or more analysts said that it would likely do terribly, and it ended up doing terribly...right?

• Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    Speaking of MMOs, has anyone else been following the 'Burn Jita' escapades going on in EVE? Because I know it's boring as hell lol spreadsheets in space, but I love that, because of how it all works, you can get something truly awesome come out of it, and as long as it falls within the TOS, CCP will not only allow it, but help you if it's needed:

http://community.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&nbid=28640
    Things have been afoot in the Jita solar system recently...
    WHAT IS JITA?

For quite some time, the Jita solar system has been the most populated solar system in EVE Online on a sustained basis, having organically risen as the main player trade hub in game due to its location and the basic human need to gather together and trade stuff.

It's had a varied reputation as [wretched hive of scum, villainy and scammers], [representative product of EVE's emergent sandbox game design], [indefatigable cog of economic prosperity], and [rallying point for impassioned protestors].

And, starting last Friday, it was on fire.

Actually, Jita itself wasn't on fire, but thousands of players who normally find it a "safe" haven of trade and economic gameplay found their ships on fire - everything from a lonely hauler on up to the simply massive, highly-armored freighters moving thousands of USD equivalents of ships and goods.

As you can see from the below "kill" heatmap of the EVE universe (where each dot is one of the 5,431 solar systems in EVE's known universe), it was a pretty big deal.

cdn1.eveonline.com/www/newssystem/media/28130/1/jita-heatmap-large.png

And it all happened because a few players wanted to make it happen and then, after convincing thousands of others to join them from around the world, they made it happen.

"BURN JITA"

For several months now, a coalition of thousands of players have been planning the "Burn Jita" event, aimed at disrupting the biggest trade hub in game in order to wreak some terrific, universe-wide changes by shaking the very pillars of EVE's economy at its metaphorical heart. Surely there was some sort of larger, meta-economic objective that likely would cause them great profit. This planning happened both in game and outside of game, via voice over IP chat, secret forums, Twitter and more. A sci-fi plot of the new information age if there ever was one.

Using game mechanics and some very impressive logistics, the coalition, lead by a group known as Goonswarm, amassed a tremendous amount of manpower and ships in a concentrated effort that would probably make many real life military strategists jaw-drop. Bravado-saturated propaganda was also a pretty big part of their plot.

Fast forward to Friday: Player fleets comprised of high-damage-dealing ships began to destroy high-value industrial ships during a sustained campaign with single, coordinated volleys, sacrificing themselves in waves because the in-game "police" warps in almost immediately with harsh, reprimanding justice.

Amidst this orchestrated chaos, opportunistic salvagers profited from the wrecks left behind and EVE's deep, talented player community began blogging about, filming, screenshotting, livestreaming and celebrating/decrying the event. Some opposing fleets rose up to fight the invading hordes as well - to mixed success.

All of it occured in the same framework of unrestricted player movement and limitless player choice in a single, shared game universe. As our senior producer put it "f*cking brilliant". As a participating player put it: "There’s just something special about building 15,000 spaceships and loading their guns with 1 round of ammo to shoot. And doing it right in front of the police."

As developers we watched in awe at another amazing thing our players brought to the universe we created. Yet there was a lot more going on behind the scenes on our end besides popcorn and a comfy chair...
    It goes on with a bunch of the technical stuff they did to make it run. Basically, Goonswarm decided they wanted to cause a huge distruption in the trade hub of the entire game, a system called Jita. Jita is a policed system, so if you attack another ship, the in-game cops descend on you and blow your tits off before you can do anything. But Goonswarm decided to amass a ridiculous army of disposable ships and willing pilots, and organised a massive attack on the system to try and cause as much damage as possible. Realising this would probably nobble the server, CCP brought in extra hardware and went to work reconfiguring their 'Time Dilation' system (for managing large scale fights) to make the whole event go as smoothly as possible. Rather than shut it down because it was a Friday and they wanted to knock off early, they went to work to make it happen.

Deserves a special recognition for how to run your MMO.

That's incredible. The policed systems make you feel safe, and to take that away.... EVE continues to impress me. Makes me want to play again, until I realize it'd be months to years before I could actually enjoy any of these shenanigans.

I have a different reading of this. Near as I can tell, Goonswarm is basically griefing for the sake of griefing. I have no problem with that - but what does it say about EVE's nullsec metagame if this is the most entertaining thing they can find to do?

In EVE there's one resource - technetium - that's much more valuable than all the others, and Goonswarm basically has all of it that they need. So they have no real reason to try and conquer more space - and plenty of reason not to, because conquering space is a huge hassle full of busywork and shooting immobile structures for hours on end - and then once it's yours, you have to pay a ton of money to keep it.

I get the impression that Goonswarm is burning Jita because they have nothing else to do. I don't fault them for it, but it's not exactly a compliment to EVE's pvp endgame that one of their most powerful alliances is spinning its wheels like this. (To me, it's more a testament of how a free-for-all approach to player behavior can make up for subpar game design....)

Edit: as for months to years to enjoy the shenanigans, that's not really true, you can fly a rifter and help in your first day in the game. But I don't wanna turn this into an EVE thread.

Having lived with a goonswarm member, you are correct. They are griefing for the sake of it, and proud of themselves. Said goonswarm member tried to get me into it for that very reason, and when I refused to play Assholes in Spaaaaaaace!, he tried to get me into the FPS thats coming. Not interested.

The scale of the ops can be impressive, but the reasoning behind it is purely internet bullies. One anecdote was that they hear some guy had amassed some decent money through mining (ingame creds or credits towards the gameplay itself, not sure,was several years ago) so they found this one guy, who wasn't part of any group but just enjoyed his space mining game, and blew him out of the sky in the middle of nowhere. They didn't want his stuff, they just thought it was really funny to knock out some inconsequential player in such a place that he could never get his stuff back.

I then got to hear days worth of these stories, all backed up with "but the game lets us" as if thats a good reason to be a prick. My personal take is that they are taking their turn to be bullies to nerds, after they got it in high school or some lame shit like that.

I'm done, don't want to turn it into an eve thread either.

As someone who used to play Eve online as a member of Goonswarm (the alliance), I really do find it a bit irritating that you're so willing to generalize a very large number of people into a bunch of assholes who only play a game to grief. Goonswarm has been at the center of a huge number of massive wars that ocurred for many reasons aside from just griefing, so to say that griefing is all they play the game for is, quite frankly, factually incorrect. Maybe some Goons, but certainly not all.

And that's sort of the beauty of the game, in its own way, that there is such a huge scale of things that can go on that people can do the same sort of thing as each other for very different reasons.

EDIT: and yeah that's all I want to say on the topic here.

Not to keep this going, but yeah, I did make a big generalisiation. Obviously what I said is anecdotal, prob should have quantified first. Thanks for not taking huge offence or anything.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
This discussion has been closed.