As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

He's Sensational, he's Spectacular, he's the Amazing Spider-Man!

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Full size image
    attachment.php?attachmentid=91729&d=1334432545

False advertising

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I noticed that one of the FCBD Marvel titles coming out is the first issue of Spider-Man: Season One. Was that any good? I know Cullen Bunn wrote it and I liked his Fearless maxiseries that just ended.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Slott really seems to be pushing for MJ and Peter getting back together.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    that reminds me... i read a bit of brand new day, at least past the anti-venom arc but I'm not completely sure how far. at that time everyone had a sense that MJ knew all about the deal with mephisto but no confirmation either way. Then I read spider Island (which was great) and they directly mentioned it several times. So i'm assuming that came out in the open between the two of them at some point. was it a big deal or anything?

initiatefailure on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

And who can blame him, really

MJ and Pete are a classic couple. Trying to keep them apart just feels so forced.

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

MJ and Pete are a classic couple. Trying to keep them apart just feels so forced.

Honestly, I always hated MJ, but I also recognize that was because I got into comics, and mostly Spider-Man comics, during the Maximum Carnage timeline, when MJ was a chain smoking bitch who went out clubbing with strange men while Peter was in costume fighting half-dead. It left a terrible impression on little 10 year old me. I'd be perfectly fine if she was never in another Spider-Man comic.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    David Michelinie wasn't the most subtle of writers back in the day. It was supposed to be MJ's way of dealing the idea he might die every night but it came across more selfish than denial.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i always loved mary jane

but then, my first exposure to her was her actual debut because I read essential spider-man.

i also read some trades with venom's premiere, and i thought she and peter were sweet together.

edited May 2012
    TexiKen wrote: »
    David Michelinie wasn't the most subtle of writers back in the day. It was supposed to be MJ's way of dealing the idea he might die every night but it came across more selfish than denial.

Yeah, the other problem is that the local comic shop closed a couple years after I found it, and she never really graduated from that in that time. That left me with pretty much no exposure to her in comics until I was out of college, had my first job, and found a new shop I could go to. When that kind of impression festers for a good 15 years, it's pretty close to impossible to change.

I think that if my first exposure to MJ had been struggling broadway actress deeply in love with Spider-Man rather than Super-model, Hollywood actress party girl, I would have liked her character. As it is, I tend to find her to be baggage hanging over Spider-Man's head rather than something decent.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Bah, I prefer Spidey swinging free. More conflict that way. That moment with Silver Sable? I was like "Yesssssssssssss-NOOOOOOOOOOOO".

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
    A problem is that they haven't done anything interesting with him being single, apart from him dating Carrie.

Now him and Ms. Marvel? That's something I could get behind with.

A problem is that they haven't done anything interesting with him being single, apart from him dating Carrie.

Yeah, it's inevitable that he gets back together with Mary Jane, so they should use the opportunity to have some dating shenanigans now while he's single

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    I don't know if it's inevitable, I get the feeling that the big guys at Marvel invested too much in defending OMD and the single spidey stance. It would be nice if it did happen, sales would go up 30k overnight and stay that way forever and ever.

Maybe MJ dies at the end of Ends of the Earth. His global warming stuff sets off a ginger genocide.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    sales would go up 30k overnight and stay that way forever and ever. .

lol

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    I know, I made that number too low.

mmgg.jpg

Turambar wrote: »

Yeah, it's inevitable that he gets back together with Mary Jane, so they should use the opportunity to have some dating shenanigans now while he's single

Exactly. Worse case scenario, we Archie-style Spidey. Tons of characters want to get with Peter or Spider-Man, but none get to close the deal.

Except Black Cat.

Meh, I always found Black Cat and Spidey boring together. Her and DD are more intriguing.

Has Peter dated anyone in the superhero biz apart from her?

He went on a date with Sue Storm once

He went on a date with Sue Storm once

He also went on a date with Carol Danvers.

PSN|AspectVoid
    I knew about Carol but Sue? Eww.

Sue and Peter were trying to make Reed and Johnny jealous

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Somewhere locked away in my boxes of old comics, I have a stretch of old Marvel Team-Up, where Pete, Shang-Chi, Black Widow and Nick Fury take on Madame Hydra (or Viper, w/ever), Silver Samurai, Hydra and an infiltrated SHIELD.

IIRC, Pete and Natasha had a thing going on in that one, no clue where that led.

Meh, I always found Black Cat and Spidey boring together. Her and DD are more intriguing.

Has Peter dated anyone in the superhero biz apart from her?

No, the trick with Black Cat is she doesn't want to be "together" outside of a sexual sense. And depending on where you are in the timeline, she's not interested in Peter Parker at all.

Assuming those two things remain the same, every interaction is magic.

edited May 2012
    Wrong thread!

UltimateInferno on

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I've always thought Peter and Sue would make a great couple. I've been hoping that eventually one of the alternate Marvel universes would reveal this most excellent pairing. Heck, one of them had Sue Storm and Wolverine as a couple, why not Peter and Sue?

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I cannot tell what political angle they are trying to push with this story arc yet.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Uhhh

what

CYpGAPn.png
    I'm reading through and am on 683, so maybe it becomes obvious.

The "Doc Ock is an evil genius" angle

You don't think that there's some point in bringing up the global warming debate and referencing so many political figures?

It seems a lot like it intends to make some stance on whether the author thinks global warming is/is not an actual threat.

Global Warming is factually a threat though? He's not making a statement, just making comics.

edited May 2012
    Well yeah, I know that. But it's not like Marvel comics haven't been used to push a political point before.

I don't want to sound like someone who doesn't want to consume media that doesn't agree with me, but I would be pretty disappointed if I got to the end of this all and it ended up to be some conservative slam on global warming science.

So far it definitely has that "you're all sheeple" vibe to it, what with the world turning against Spider-Man on the basis of stopping global warming.

EDIT:
    Though the more I'm reading it, the more I'm excited by the possibility that it will turn out that Spider-Man is actually wrong about Ock.

Winky on
    I think you are really looking into it too much

CYpGAPn.png
    From what I've seen of the event and Doc Ock's plan, this is not very political. At the very least it's not hamfisted compared to other writers in the industry, and because it's coming from a villain it lets things hang up in the air.

I think it's walking the line a lot better than other moments, like when Joe Kelly broke the 4th wall to bash Bush n American Son (fistbump). Comics aren't a conservative stronghold, and even if it did turn out to be that way in this arc, you've got books all the time going the other way with points. Slott's a better writer than to let his politics come into play.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Slott is just using global warming to make the story sort of relevant
    The alternative would be Ock curing cancer or something
    Satellites are way cooler than vaccines

edited May 2012
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure Slott is just using global warming to make the story sort of relevant

You say this, but there's a big panel of Spider-Man punching Al Gore (albeit, a doppelganger of him) in the face while Barack Obama looks on in horror.

And the phrase "How's this for an inconvenient truth?"

Though, I admit, these sort of things are all in how you want to interpret them.

Winky on
    How's this for an Inconvenient Truth is just Spider-Man making a joke

he does that all the time

and him punching Al Gore is also meant to be a joke because HOLY SHIT DID HE JUST PUNCH AL GORE OH wait no it is Chameleon

CYpGAPn.png
    Winky wrote: »

You say this, but there's a big panel of Spider-Man punching Al Gore (albeit, a doppelganger of him) in the face while Barack Obama looks on in horror.

Though, I admit, these sort of things are all in how you want to interpret them.

Dude, that's nothing. Ultimate X-Men had a naked Bush licking Magneto's boots on the White House Lawn. Punisher had a drunk Bush be threatened by the Punisher who broke into the White House. Joe Kelly wrote a whole issue of JLA using Superman as a soap box for not invading Iraq.

Slott did that moment with a lot of on the nose humor and even had an out for it.

Winky wrote: »

Dude, that's nothing. Ultimate X-Men had a naked Bush licking Magneto's boots on the White House Lawn. Punisher had a drunk Bush be threatened by the Punisher who broke into the White House. Joe Kelly wrote a whole issue of JLA using Superman as a soap box for not invading Iraq.

Slott did that moment with a lot of on the nose humor and even had an out for it.

Fair enough :P.

I'll be interested to see how this plot-line ends up developing.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    How's this for an Inconvenient Truth is just Spider-Man making a joke

he does that all the time

and him punching Al Gore is also meant to be a joke because HOLY SHIT DID HE JUST PUNCH AL GORE OH wait no it is Chameleon

This was taken to the extreme on the forums for a weekish too, because the preview for that issue, stopped before the Chameleon reveal, and even tho we all knew it was Sinister Six, none of us guessed it and all felt kinda dumb.

It was great!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508