As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Magic: the Gathering: Cardboard Crack

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    While we're all posting decks, here's the one I came up with.
    Creatures
    4 Birds of Paradise
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
    3 Mentor of the Meek
    3 Borderland Ranger
    4 Wolfir Avenger
    1 Wolfir Silverheart
    1 Soul of the Harvest
    4 Pentavus
    3 Craterhoof Behemoth

Artifacts
    4 Vessel of Endless Rest
    3 Manalith

Sorceries
    3 Green Sun's Zenith

Enchantments
    4 Cathars' Crusade

Planeswalkers
    1 Elspeth Tirel

Lands
    14 Forest

Got most of the non-avacyn cards to build via some trading with my friend who has ALL THE CARDS, and a few of them (1 Craterhoof, 1 Cathars, 2 Vessels, 1 Wolfir Avenger) from some early trading with other pre-release buddies... Waiting on my Booster Box tomorrow, then going to trade my temporal mastery I got from the pre-release (and others if need be) for the rest I need. Should be ready to play by next weekend.

I've been playing solitaire games in Cockatrice and it seems absolutely insane so far. Pentavus + Cathars' Crusade is probably the most broken card combo I've seen in Standard.

Still no idea what to put in for a sideboard, though.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    i played this... thing tonight at fnm went 2-2
    4 primordial hydra
    3 predator ooze
    4 birds of paradise
    1 llanowar elves
    2 thrummingbird
    2 viral drake
    2 merfolk looter

4 ponder
    3 vapor snag
    3 rangers guile
    4 mana leak
    2 increasing savagery
    2 sword of war and peace

3 inkmoth nexus
    1 gavony township
    4 hinterland harbor
    1 sunpetal grove
    9 forest
    6 island

fun when it works, when you draw consecutive lands it dies out quickly

peacekeeper on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Pentavus + Cathars' Crusade is probably the most broken card combo I've seen in Standard.

To be fair, it's a 5 mana enchantment and a 7 mana creature. Powerful as hell if it goes off, but it's not like they won't have at least some time to get something going as well, or interfere.

I've got a CC on order, and intend to load it into my Ghave deck along with a Pentavus once it's in.

Unless they're packing an unstoppable kill or Insurrection, that oughta be game. (though as noted before, the Ghave deck is really just becoming "40 land, 59 absurdly powerful enchantments/artifacts + Ghave". Just got my Doubling Season in the other day as well. Resolving that thing and untapping becomes an absolute nightmare.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    i played this... thing tonight at fnm went 2-2
    4 primordial hydra
    3 predator ooze
    4 birds of paradise
    1 llanowar elves
    2 thrummingbird
    2 viral drake
    2 merfolk looter

4 ponder
    3 vapor snag
    3 rangers guile
    4 mana leak
    2 increasing savagery
    2 sword of war and peace

3 inkmoth nexus
    1 gavony township
    4 hinterland harbor
    1 sunpetal grove
    9 forest
    6 island

fun when it works, when you draw consecutive lands it dies out quickly

maybe you could splash for Loothouse?

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    You guys get your PT-Barcelona Fantasy Roster filled out yet?

Not knowing a lot about Block Constructed, or how AVR has changed the metagame (as Block basically only exists online, where AVR isn't), most of the slots are totally unpredictable.

The only cards I really like are Hellrider in the Medium Creature slot and Curse of Death's Hold for the Enchantment.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Yeah, those were my picks in those two categories too.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Just did a draft of the MTGO Cube. That thing is insane.

E: I pack 1 pick 1 picked Time Walk! And I don't even know if that was right!

silence1186 on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    If first-picking Time Walk is wrong, I don't want to be right.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Hm do you keep the cards drafted in cube?

jCyyTSo.png
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Hm do you keep the cards drafted in cube?

You do not. You'd be drafting thousands of tickets worth of cards, otherwise.

Yeah that was my thought, lol.

jCyyTSo.png
  • GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular

i'm pretty sure that picking anything over lotus/moxen/time walk/ancestral/sol ring is wrong.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Griswold wrote: »

i'm pretty sure that picking anything over lotus/moxen/time walk/ancestral/sol ring is wrong.

Considering Time Walk isn't online, as none of the Power 9 are, I think he actually meant Time Warp. And Sol Ring isn't in the MTGO Cube either.

And Time Warp isn't very good.

metaghost wrote: »

Considering Time Walk isn't online, as none of the Power 9 are, I think he actually meant Time Warp. And Sol Ring isn't in the MTGO Cube either.

I meant Time Walk. I did a draft simulation on a website, which supposedly had the MTGO cube. Now I am confused.

This: http://www.wizards.com/magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/927 is supposedly the Cube right now.

So I am confused as to what this: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Events.aspx?x=mtgevent/mi07/cubelist is, that I found Googling around.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

I meant Time Walk. I did a draft simulation on a website, which supposedly had the MTGO cube. Now I am confused.

This: http://www.wizards.com/magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/927 is supposedly the Cube right now.

So I am confused as to what this: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Events.aspx?x=mtgevent/mi07/cubelist is, that I found Googling around.

That second link is the card list for the physical cube used at the 2007 Invitationals in Germany.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• ChenChen Registered User regular
    From the url, I'm guessing it's from the Magic Invitational 2007. Apparently, there's going to be a cube at the Players' Championship this year. No confirmation of what the cube looks like though.

V0Gug2h.png
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Well, my booster box of Avacyn Restored only had 2 mythics in it, so I'm pretty pissed about that. Misthollow Griffin and Sigarda; at least Sigarda will likely find a home in my Rafiq EDH deck.

Got a Vexing Devil and a Cavern of Souls which I think I'm going to try and trade really fast before the price for them drops. Thinking about Standard decks I'm going to make, leaning towards either WR Humans with a heavy Knight theme (because tribal decks are always great and I love Knights) or a crazy GU soulbond/flicker deck because I love shenanigans and nothing says shenanigans like flicker with soulbond. Any thoughts?

Terrendos on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Vexing Devil is think is going to settle down to an 8ish dollar card once everyone gets over the inevitable RDW that shows up on the release of a new set. Higher than Stromkirk because it might see play outside of standard.

Cavern I think is going to sit around at about $20+ for good. It is a solid card, produces mana of any colour, meaning for tribal decks or ones that take advantage of it Cavern becomes an automatic 3-4 of. Like, even if we're talking M12 duals, I don't need more than four if I only have a single Red/Green deck. But if I have a R/W deck that could use it in go a set of Caverns. But then I've got my R/B Vampire deck that needs a set of them too. And my B/U zombie deck....

If it was being used solely for preventing spells from being countered I can see it, but the fact it is a really good mana fixer for creature focused decks means it is going to see play in any format that creatures are a thing. And that people will get use out of multiple playsets.

I got insanely lucky with my booster box. Bold = Mythic, obviously
    Left column:

Tibalt, the Fiend-blooded
    Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
    / Foil Island
    Terminus
    Devastation Tide
    Angel of Glory's Rise
    Cavern of Souls
    Primal Surge
    Captain of the Mists
    Cathars' Crusade
    Arcane Melee
    Angel of Jubilation
    Dread Slaver

Middle:
    Temporal Mastery
    Exquisite Blood / Foil Goldnight Commander
    Archwing Dragon
    Burn at the Stake
    Descendent's Path / Foil Geist Snatch
    Malignus
    Otherworld Atlas
    Sigurda, Host of Herons
    Conjurer's Closet
    Druid's Repository
    Restoration Angel
    Rite of Ruin / Foil Dread Slaver

Right:
    Dread Slaver
    Gallows at Willow Hill / Foil Exquisite Blood
    Champion of Lambholt
    Divine Deflection
    Deadeye Navigator
    Desolate Lighthouse
    Dual Casting / Foil Forest
    Somberwald Sage
    Silverblade Paladin / Foil Vorstclaw
    Lunar Mystic
    Demonic Rising
    Moonsilver Spear

My friend's box, not so much, but I gave him a few VERY good trades to get his Craterhoof and a few other cards from previous sets I wanted off him, so we were both happy.
    Left:
    Hound of Griselbrand
    Gallows at Willow Hill
    Cavern of Souls
    Ulvenwald Tracker
    Moonsilver Spear
    Alchemist's Refuge / Foil Farbog Explorer
    Wild Defiance
    Zealous Conscripts / Foil Fettergeist
    Stolen Goods
    Tyrant of Discord
    Wolfir Silverheart
    Reforge the Soul

Middle:
    Champion of Lambhold / Foil Lone Revenant
    Cathars' Crusade
    Demonic Rising
    Harvester of Souls
    Spirit Away
    Sigurda, Host of Herons
    Angel of Jubilation
    Craterhoof Behemoth
    Killing Wave
    Infinite Reflection / Foil Lair Delve
    Rite of Ruin
    Riders of Gavony

Right:
    Angel of Glory's Rise
    Arcane Melee / Foil Corpse Traders
    Wolfir Silverheart
    Treacherous Pit-Dweller / Foil Hanweir Lancer
    Descendants' Path / Foil Latch Seeker
    Slayer's Stronghold
    Revenge of the Hunted
    Desolate Lighthouse
    Herald of War
    Captain of the Mists
    Dark Impostor
    Avacyn, Angel of Hope / Foil Crippling Chill

Some nice rares mixed in there too.

I'm going to try and pick up as many Terminus, Bonfires and Entreat the Angels as I can short term in reasonable trades.

I've got a playset of each of them, but was suprised the latter two stayed so low in price for as long as they did considering rarity.

Kelor wrote: »
    Some nice rares mixed in there too.

I'm going to try and pick up as many Terminus, Bonfires and Entreat the Angels as I can short term in reasonable trades.

I've got a playset of each of them, but was suprised the latter two stayed so low in price for as long as they did considering rarity.

Lots of good uncommons I didn't bother to log, too. Like, I got enough Vessels of Endless Rest and Wolfir Avengers to fill up my deck posted at the top of the page. And I don't really play red, but I bet I got enough good red cards to cobble together a RDW deck without buying anything else if I had to. Really happy I got a whole box.

• B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    So it turns out Deadeye Navigator is one of the most absurd rares in the set.
    When you're wrathing their board (Mist Raven) and gaining twelve life (Goldnight Redeemer) a turn you tend to fall in love with a card.

I think I'm gonna try and fit him into a Birthing Pod deck. Flickering Stonehorn Dignitary 3 times has got to be an uber beating.

Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
    I absolutely love Deadeye Navigator and I'm sad I didn't get one in the packs I bought today. Guess I'll be hitting up eBay.

but how is it good in constructed? it's 6 mana.

jCyyTSo.png
    i had a deadeye navigator attached to my craterhoof behemoth tonight :P

also has anyone elses drafts had crazy openings? i got 2 craterhoof behemoths and the guy 2 spots to my left all 3 of his packs his rare was terminus

edited May 2012
    My favorite Deadeye combo I've seen is Zealous Conscripts. Like, alright, you've already got zealous conscripts on the board and you play Deadeye and bond him to Zealous Conscripts. Next turn, you untap the 6 mana you used to play Deadeye.

1. 2 mana: Blink Zealous Conscripts, gain control of enemy creature till end of turn.
    2. 2 mana: Blink Deadeye to unbond him, and bond him to the creature you just stole.
    3. 2 mana: Blink the creature you stole. You now permanently control it.

Fucking EVIL.

Raiden333 on
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    it's like memnarch. basically.

edited May 2012
    So I finished the deck I was building, that I posted earlier with the Craterhoofs and the Cathers Crusades. Played a couple games against my buddy.

How obscene is this deck? In one of our games, I won by swinging in for a hundred and six combat damage, bringing him down to -86 life because he didn't even bother to declare blockers. All of the damage was trample, and 75 of it was flying-with-trample.

On turn six.

(Turn 3: Cathars Crusade came out. Turn 4: Pentavus came out. Turn 5: I bring out another mana creature that buffs the pentavus to 6/6, and the Pentavus creates five 5/5 Pentavites. Should have done this in reverse order, but oh well. Turn 6: Craterhoof Behemoth comes out. I have 9 creatures including the Craterhoof so all creatures get +10/+10 (one from Cathars) and trample. I swing in with 6 15/15's and a 16/16.)

Raiden333 on
    Can someone detail some of the combat flicker shenanigans? For example, if I attack and the blockers are declared, can he then flicker his blocker so that it's not in combat any more and thus block without concern for his creature dying? Furthermore, if I were to blink a guy, would he still be attacking or would he be removed from combat?

Also, during what "step" in the combat step does one do all this stuff?

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Can someone detail some of the combat flicker shenanigans? For example, if I attack and the blockers are declared, can he then flicker his blocker so that it's not in combat any more and thus block without concern for his creature dying? Furthermore, if I were to blink a guy, would he still be attacking or would he be removed from combat?

if you flicker a blocker after blockers are declared, than whatever it was blocking is still blocked, but the blocker wont receive any damage.
    if you flicker an attacker, than it would come back no longer attacking.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    Foomy wrote: »

if you flicker a blocker after blockers are declared, than whatever it was blocking is still blocked, but the blocker wont receive any damage.

Okay, what happens if you flicker a blocker blocking a creature with trample? For the sake of argument, let's say the attacker is a Primeval Titan and the blocker is a Hill Giant. Does the player take 6 damage, 3 damage, or no damage?

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »

Okay, what happens if you flicker a blocker blocking a creature with trample? For the sake of argument, let's say the attacker is a Primeval Titan and the blocker is a Hill Giant. Does the player take 6 damage, 3 damage, or no damage?

6 damage, while it is blocked it wont be assigning any damage to the blocker so all of it can go to the player

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    edited May 2012
    Some decks I've been messing around with:

R/W Humans: Striker into Silverblade will end worlds.
    4 Doomed Traveler
    4 Champion of the Parish
    4 Cloistered Youth (Interchangeble with Loyal Cathar, but he has harsher requirements and isn't as big for Silverblade)
    4 Silverblade Paladin
    4 Kruin Striker
    4 Hero of Bladehold

2 Pillar of Flame
    2 Bonfire of the Damned

4 Honor of the Pure

4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Clifftop Retreat
    11 Plains
    3 Mountain
    2 Slayers' Stronghold

R/G/W Humans: More longterm than the R/W one.
    4 Avacyn’s Pilgrim
    4 Birds of Paradise
    1 Mikaeus, the Lunarch
    1 Deranged Outcast
    3 Blade Splicer
    2 Borderland Ranger
    3 Fiend Hunter
    4 Huntmaster of the Fells
    4 Restoration Angel
    3 Zealous Conscripts

2 Bonfire of the Damned
    4 Cloudshift

1 Oblivion Ring

7 Forest
    1 Mountain
    2 Plains
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Copperline Gorge
    2 Gavony Township
    4 Razorverge Thicket

SB: 4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    SB: 2 Stony Silence
    SB: 2 Witchbane Orb
    SB: 2 Ancient Grudge
    SB: 2 Ray of Revelation
    SB: 3 Timely Reinforcements

G/U: Swing for the fence!
    4 Precursor Golem
    4 Grand Architect
    4 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Solemn Simulacrum

4 Ranger’s Guile
    4 Tracker's Instincts
    4 Cackling Counterpart
    2 Noxious Revival
    2 Twisted Image

2 Temporal Mastery
    2 Revenge of the Hunted

4 Hinterland Harbor
    11 Island
    4 Forest
    3 Buried Ruin
    2 Evolving Wilds

B/R Vampires: With a dash of human for flavour.
    4 Stromkirk Noble
    2 Stonewright (Suprisingly nice with the Captain)
    4 Stormblood Berserker
    4 Vampire Interloper
    4 Stromkirk Captain
    2 Dark Impostor
    4 Bloodline Keeper
    3 Falkenrath Aristocrat
    2 Olivia Voldaren

2 Pillar of Flame

2 Dismember
    2 Tragic Slip
    1 Doom Blade

4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Blackcleave Cliffs
    8 Swamp
    6 Mountain
    2 Dragonskull Summit

SB: 2 Doom Blade
    SB: 2 Stormblood Berserker
    SB: 2 Tragic Slip
    SB: 4 Forge Devil
    SB: 2 Pillar of Flame
    SB: 3 Surgical Extraction

Love to hear any suggestions you guys want to throw in though.

Kelor on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    Lightning Mauler seems better than Kruin Striker, especially with Hero of Bladehold. Silverblade Paladin is more vulnerable than Mirran Crusader, Doomed Traveler is a bad one-drop and Champion of the Parish isn't very threatening without Raise the Alarm or at least a few more two-drops. Or you can drop the Champion, Raise the Alarm and Honor of the Pure and go for a more burn-oriented approach: Grim Lavamancer, Stormblood Berserker, Gut Shot, Pillar of Flame, Incinerate. The vampire deck could use Gut Shot to trigger the Berserker as well. The other human deck has a few borderline (borderland?) cards and the Architect deck could use more artifacts to ramp into.

V0Gug2h.png
    I decided to split up the wild defiance and miracle decks.

so here's what I threw together for wild defiance
    4 wild defiance
    4 fling
    3 wild hunger
    3 mutagenic growth
    3 arc trail
    3 pillar of flame

4 bird
    3 llanowar elf
    4 strangleroot geist
    3 hound of griselbrand
    3 garruk's companion
    3 druid's familiar

jCyyTSo.png
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Yesterday, I pulled a Tamiyo in Sealed and a Cavern of Souls in draft.

Unfortunately, I got nothing particularly good in blue (outside the PW) for the sealed, and accidentally pulled a high mana curve in draft, and thus was obliterated in both.

Oh well. I can trade that Tamiyo for entry in the next tourney. :P

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    One thing to help keep these flicker effects straight is to remember that whenever a permanent is returned it is an entirely new object, with no memory of what it was before. That means it is no longer a blocking creature, or be targetted by a spell or ability, will be summoning sick, and will no longer have any buffs from its previous life (counters, auras, equipment).

The only exceptions are creatures with "phasing", but that's a fringe case and really only relevant in commander and MAAAYBE legacy.

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
    A friend found his old (Revised/Fallen Empires) collection in his closet.

I looked through it, found a bunch of Demonic Tutors, a couple of Sol Rings, two Revised duals (Badlands and Tundra), and a handful of other decent assorted rares.

I pulled out the good stuff and said, "So, this stack is probably worth about $150-200" and he said, "Okay. It's yours. I don't care."

:D

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Diorinix wrote: »
    The only exceptions are creatures with "phasing", but that's a fringe case and really only relevant in commander and MAAAYBE legacy.

Creatures that phase out are not officially exiled (any more). They're technically still on the battlefield... they just don't exist in the same reality as the rest of it.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social