As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    They scale with level and most probably have +skill modifiers on items

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Life Steal, just in general, scales with level. As you deal more damage, your percentage of health stolen increases as well. Gems are important, too. Amethysts, when embedded in weapons, grant life on hits. The Radiant Star Amethysts grant 600 HP every swing. I plan on using the hell out of those, too. Monks can regenerate so quickly, it's really ridiculous, lol. Between Mantra of Healing, Transcendence, Breath of Heaven, Amethysts, etc, we're talking about upwards of 10,000 HP per second on some builds.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I'm possibly an idiot as I played the beta weekend w/I noticing, but is there any sort of run/sprint in D3? I didn't notice a need as badly as in D1 or 2, but it would still be nice.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I feel like it's less about needing to put in a 'run' option and more about not needing a 'walk' option.

• Options
    pawa24pawa24 Registered User regular
    So I just reinstalled d2 and I have a game set up. Title will be penny arcade and password will be standard PA password. Which is wang is you dont already know

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    I'm possibly an idiot as I played the beta weekend w/I noticing, but is there any sort of run/sprint in D3? I didn't notice a need as badly as in D1 or 2, but it would still be nice.

Diablo 2 had a run, so im not sure I know what you are referring to.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Probably it's the fact 3 removed stupid stamina so he may be thinking there isn't 2 speeds and the one we have isn't as fast it could be if we did have a stamina bar. Or something...

D3 has no slow speed (outside of debuffs I guess), an improvement.

• Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Dronus86 wrote: »
    This talk about numbers made me go play with the Skill Builder. I've got my monk build down for Inferno, I think. Very defensive while still being strong offensively.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WVifjh!ZdU!cZYYbZ

I've got a very similar playstyle in mind, but my build's a bit different.

Have a look at this, and tell me what you think:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WdXgfQ!ZUY!ZbYYac

Infused With Light on Breath of Heaven allows me to generate a lot of Spirit fairly quickly, and none of my abilities cost much to cast. If you've got Eye of the Storm on Cyclone Strike, the damage-to-spirit ratio is actually pretty respectable (comparative to Wave of Light, and much more versatile). Cyclone Strike ends up being the bread-and-butter of the build, basically; clumps up enemies and burns them down with consistent AoE damage.

Crippling Wave, along with Concussion, and the passive ability Resolve, makes for a pretty potent source of damage reduction. Defenses are further bolstered by ... pretty much everything in the build. I'm especially fond of Transcendence right now, to be honest. I wasn't always, but it's absolutely grown on me over the past few weeks. As long as you're constantly spending spirit, you'll be constantly regenerating HP (and this is on top of Mantra of Healing). Every time I hit Cyclone Strike at level 60 (which will be constantly), I'll be regenerating 1800+ HP.

Seems solid to me, but I'm anxious to put it through its paces.

This game needs to come out like, right now.

[edit] I plan on using a Shield, by the way, which is why this build lacks Guardian's Path.

I like it.

Like someone else was implying, I'm a bit shy about just flat-out healing since we don't know the scaling of player HP and the skills, but I had a hard time considering several of those abilities myself, particularly the spirit->health passive. I wanted an ally for A) spirit generation and B) someone else to get dickpunched, so you may consider that.

With the number of +spirit abilities I have, I'm considering picking up that passive that heals on spirit instead of.. I dunno which one D:

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Probably it's the fact 3 removed stupid stamina so he may be thinking there isn't 2 speeds and the one we have isn't as fast it could be if we did have a stamina bar. Or something...

D3's run speed is considerably slower than D2's. It's just one of the ways they decided early on to control the pace of the game.

• Options
    GooseyGooseGooseyGoose Registered User regular
    i might jump in and play some d2. i'm downloading the client now.

• Options
    Coconut MonkeyCoconut Monkey Registered User regular
    A few classes have abilities to speed things up, like teleport, leap and that DH flip.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Curious.

Were there only the 2 TV spots?

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Oh god Jay confirmed enrage timers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Enrage timers are when the NPCs get bored of the game.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Life Steal, just in general, scales with level. As you deal more damage, your percentage of health stolen increases as well. Gems are important, too. Amethysts, when embedded in weapons, grant life on hits. The Radiant Star Amethysts grant 600 HP every swing. I plan on using the hell out of those, too. Monks can regenerate so quickly, it's really ridiculous, lol. Between Mantra of Healing, Transcendence, Breath of Heaven, Amethysts, etc, we're talking about upwards of 10,000 HP per second on some builds.

In fairness every stat scales with level. Criticals, attack speed, and damage all scale with each other. Lifesteal scales with both offensive and defensive stats though.

Healing can still scale if you've got great defenses; if your effective health is better through damage reduction then your heals are more efficient.

The only reason you'd need bonuses to healing really is if you needed to heal other people. Are all heals AoE in this game? I'm only familiar with Breath of Heaven and (probably AoE) healing aura. Does seem like a missed opportunity... but I imagine healing will still be viable with the right build choices, or with an allied tankarian.

• Options
    So stuff on Inferno will hit you for 170 MILLION maybe! Awesome!

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »

Diablo 2 had a run, so im not sure I know what you are referring to.

Sorry, bit vague on my part. 2 had run, but the walk speed was so slow that it was basically a necessity, which I never felt during my limited time with 3 (to the point where I didn't even think to find out if it existed until after the beta was over). Just a curiosity, thanks for the answers.

Also probably on my mind because I'm doing a Borderlands replay, and travel time is incredibly annoying on occasion.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Link?

• Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular

I hope you're kidding because that's fucking stupid.

• Options
    GooseyGooseGooseyGoose Registered User regular
    So I bought my d2 from some shady website 2 years ago and my cd key is in used by 'pwned'. So no d2 for me.

• Options
    NavocNavoc Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »

Link?
    We die... we have encounters in the Inferno mode, where we will die a dozen times trying to take a rare down. And I mean, that rare, not only do they have a host of different abilities that we don’t even have earlier in the game -- things like the ability to create walls in front of me and enemies; the ability to do all different kinds of spells and effects that control area around the player and dish out damage.

Just being able to make creatures that are faster than the player, which you don’t really see in the earlier difficulties very often -- we can make any kind of common creature faster. And you take all that, and we also have enraged timers, where if you don’t kill the monsters in a certain amount of time, they enrage and then they do massive damage.
    http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3205698

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »

D3's run speed is considerably slower than D2's. It's just one of the ways they decided early on to control the pace of the game.

Yet the pacing feels way better, so props to them.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Oh man enrage timers in d2 sounds fucking awesome actually

having a life leech back and forth battle with a group of uniques or whatever, that was boring

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    Doesn't that solve the hypothetical problem people were having with seeing a rare, then running away from it while you change skills? Sounds like a good thing.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    yeah in this setting it seems like something that could work really well

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    EmberwakeEmberwake Registered User regular

Diablo 3 does have a walk option IIRC, its just a toggle bound to some key you'll never hit in case you feel like ambling around all slow-like. I think. Now I'm beginning to doubt myself.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    It has one. Why you'd ever push it I don't know.

Stamina was stupid anyway.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure if you ever have to follow an NPC it will move slower than you run and faster than you walk, making the walk key totally unnecessary.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Oh man enrage timers in d2 sounds fucking awesome actually

having a life leech back and forth battle with a group of uniques or whatever, that was boring

It does seem quite cool. I hope they're a little less hard enrages like WoW (Don't make it in time? Instantly 500% more damage and 500% more speed, and 500 more...). Defensive, outlasting characters shouldn't be too heavily punished compared to an evasive glass cannon. Something more gradual would would be nice.

People were saying that damage meters would be pointless and a silly thing in Diablo 3 but with enrage timers; one's group DPS might be of some concern...

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    i feel like diablo has always been about dealing damage, so i'm glad enrages are there to keep that focus

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    I'm fine with enrages that force people to engage, not a big fan if they're used like in WoW as an actual hurdle.

They should be used as a way of controlling player behavior, not as a challenge to be met.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    but enrages in wow are used to guide player behavior

so that you don't overstack on healers to make fights negligibly difficult, but very slow and boring
    and most enrages aren't a challenge in themselves, they're a challenge because other mechanics hinder your dps (which therefore requires mastery of a fight's mechanics to down a boss)

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    Enrage timers in Diablo is fucking retarded.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    AzreusAzreus Registered User regular
    I'm happy to wait and see how enrage timers affect the gameplay before I declare it either way. I think I'll prefer it to the same old Diablo formula, but I'll wait and see.

• Options
    Yeah, we need more details. It sounds like it's inferno only and not every boss, so it's just a hard affix like anything else they could have. Maybe. We need all the details of the game already, damnit!

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    I never thought enrage timers were terrible in WoW, but I feel like it's not something that has a place in Diablo. I don't like the idea of a 'gear check' or 'gear gating' in Diablo. Like in D2, if I go up against Duriel at level 20 with decent gear I can eventually wear him down you know, but if I had to grind out level 30 or farm for a full set of green gear at level 20 to beat duriel then I really doubt I would have kept playing D2. It's the idea that characters will be gated based on gear rather than skill or, in some cases ingenuity or patience. If someone wants to kite Superbad Demonbro for 20 minutes just to whittle down 1% every 30 seconds or something then why shouldn't they have that option? All I'm saying is that it doesn't really seem like a mechanic that belongs in a Diablo game.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    i feel like diablo has always been about dealing damage, so i'm glad enrages are there to keep that focus

Yeah, I agree with that. I don't think that focus has been lost when you look at the abilities in the game. Purely defensive skills are far and few between. Even teleport can be made into an attack!

and most enrages aren't a challenge in themselves, they're a challenge because other mechanics hinder your dps (which therefore requires mastery of a fight's mechanics to down a boss)

I don't know about that. There are quite a few bosses with hard enrage timers, particularly in hard-mode versions and higher content, that are pretty brutal. There are trivial enrage timers, but I doubt we'll rub against enrage at all before Nightmare/Hell.

Inferno enrage timers could be a big deal. Inferno's supposed to be hard, you're supposed to take a hard look at your build. Those billions of viable builds might shrink a bit. That's probably alright though, Inferno was never meant for everyone.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Everything official I've read on the Blizzard forums indicates that enrage timers only exist on Inferno. Every time it's mentioned, it's in direct relation to Inferno, and I've never seen any indication that they'll exist on lower difficulties. If they're on Normal / Nightmare / Hell, though, I wouldn't have an issue. I like enrage timers, because they help promote build and team optimization.

Before we heard about this, my buddy and I were thinking about creating a Monk and a Barbarian that would each be incredibly defensive. We'd slowly but surely be able to break down difficult encounters because we're essentially invincible. I'm also involved with a group of other Monks who want to run with an all Monk party. Between the four of us, we can potentially have 100% up-time on Inner Sanctuary, completely trivializing melee-focused attackers. Add on top of that constant AoE healing from Breath of Heaven, a hard bubble from Serenity, and stacking Mantras of Evasion and Healing ... and there's really no point in even fighting the group, lol.

But once we found out about enrage timers, we're forced to re-think our strategy. Rather than having full defense and healing, we'll likely need at least 2 balls-to-the-wall DPS-focused characters. So I think enrage timers are a great idea in D3 for the same reason they're a great idea in WoW: they prevent players from stacking their groups for full healing and defense to trivialize higher difficulties.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Enrage timers sound like a dumb thing in hardcore. I wanted to use a defensive Monk build in hardcore, but now, fuck it.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    I plan on using a defensive monk in Hardcore, too. Why is that not viable because of enrage timers?

This discussion has been closed.