As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Hotel Discussion

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    bLankLOL wrote: »
    So either I can't use the Pax hotel site correct or everything with 2 beds seems to be booked? How can the all the rooms already be scooped up? Is their anyway to get on a waiting list? I would really like to stay at the red lion again. PLEASE HELP MEE!!!!!!!!!

A whole ton of stuff is sold out. There are no waiting lists that I know of. You can try calling OnPeak and asking them over the phone.

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    bLankLOL wrote: »
    So either I can't use the Pax hotel site correct or everything with 2 beds seems to be booked? How can the all the rooms already be scooped up? Is their anyway to get on a waiting list? I would really like to stay at the red lion again. PLEASE HELP MEE!!!!!!!!!

I see that most the 2 - bed rooms are sold out. The Westin Seattle has a bunch for Fri, Sat, Sun, but none for Thursday.

Rooms will open back up as people cancel their reservations. You just have to click the "Hotel Availability By Night" button and keep refreshing to see when a room opens up.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    bLankLOLbLankLOL Registered User regular
    Thanks for the info. I tired calling but I was too late, they close at 5pm cst :(. Ill call first thing Monday.

• Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Yeah, 2 beds are pretty much gone. Best you can do is just check the hotel availabilities daily and hope something opens up.

• Options
    WeeEvil EeveeWeeEvil Eevee TacomaRegistered User regular
    I was hoping if i could make a suggestion about places to stay for those who are desperate and once the hotels are possibly sold out.Or just for those who really want a cheap cheap room.? Also if this not the place to make that hotel suggestion.I'm sorry for this post.just like a comfirmation if i can suggest the info here or not.

• Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    My problem was/is the onpeak system. If I try to reserve a room without canceling the current reservation, it complains that the dates conflict and won't let me add another reservation at a different location (which is how I missed an opening at the Sheraton).

I'm going to try giving them a call monday. Email response time is slow, which is understandable considering the amount of email I'm sure they are getting.

BTW, has anyone stayed at the Hilton Seattle (not the Homewood) before? What is the 'net access like? Their web site references LodgeNet (the leading provider of interactive media and connectivity services according to their web site, which sounds like a pay-by-the-day ISP) when referring to the entertainment (flat screen, pay per view movies, etc), but says the desks have 'internet plugs' when referring to the power jacks at the desks.

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    By the way, I should note the Grand Hyatt has no roll away beds (or so they told me last year) So if you booked a 2 person room, don't expect a roll away. (I suppose it's possible they have roll aways they just wouldn't put one in our room no matter how nicely I asked. Obviously if you booked accomadation for 3 or 4 they're bound to that.)
    They had no problem printing me 3 keys, didn't bat an eye, but our friend has to sleep on the floor.

• Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    It looks like the Executive Hotel Pacific has some rooms open starting at $161 a night. (0.27 miles to Event Location)

• Options
    lostsock78lostsock78 Registered User regular
    A question about the Sheraton. It mentions breakfast and other stuff in the Club Lounge for "Sheraton Club guests." Does that just mean for guests staying at the hotel, or does "Sheraton Club" refer to something separate that one needs to sign up for?

• Options
    lostsock78 wrote: »
    A question about the Sheraton. It mentions breakfast and other stuff in the Club Lounge for "Sheraton Club guests." Does that just mean for guests staying at the hotel, or does "Sheraton Club" refer to something separate that one needs to sign up for?

Fairly certain the Sheraton Club is an exclusive club for folks who are at a certain "guest level" or whatnot.

• Options
    DarkAonDarkAon Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Quick question if anyone knows. Last year we stayed at the Crowne Plaza, and the TV inputs were locked out by a device installed on the TV which could not be easily bypassed. This meant we couldn't use the XBox we had brought along.

Our group is staying at the Sheraton this year. Anyone know if they do anything to prevent game consoles and whatnot from being connected to their in-room televisions?

gdGxyA3
  • Options
    DarkAonDarkAon Portland, ORRegistered User regular

The Sheraton Club refers to a set of rooms they have. The Sheraton Club Rooms are larger, more expensive rooms on the 32 thru 34th floors. I guess there is a private lounge up there as well.

gdGxyA3
  • Options
    kabutodudekabutodude Registered User regular
    DarkAon wrote: »

The Sheraton Club refers to a set of rooms they have. The Sheraton Club Rooms are larger, more expensive rooms on the 32 thru 34th floors. I guess there is a private lounge up there as well.

I thought it was a little ambiguous how they list the club lounge information on the onpeak website. They should be more clear those features are only valid with a club room.
    I also didn't see any "club rooms" offered through onpeak when I booked (about an hour after it went live).

• Options
    lostsock78lostsock78 Registered User regular
    kabutodude wrote: »
    I thought it was a little ambiguous how they list the club lounge information on the onpeak website. They should be more clear those features are only valid with a club room.
    I also didn't see any "club rooms" offered through onpeak when I booked (about an hour after it went live).

Right, that was my thought as well. Since it was listed and there weren't any special rooms offered, I thought it was something special just bundled with the PAX rooms, indicated by the $ symbol as well as the breakfast symbol. Was pretty excited about getting a free breakfast, even switched my reservation from the Red Lion to the Sheraton because of that, figuring it would be worth the extra money. Ah well, live and learn, right? Great times will still be had by all! :)

• Options
    What's the cheapest, best way to get from the airport to the Grand Hyatt? Is there a shuttle I can take or do I have to get a cab?

• Options
    jthom252jthom252 Duarte, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    tardcore wrote: »
    What's the cheapest, best way to get from the airport to the Grand Hyatt? Is there a shuttle I can take or do I have to get a cab?

I can't speak for the Grand Hyatt specifically, but the airport has direct access to a light rail station that takes you to the Westlake Center (which is only a few blocks from the convention center), it's only about a 30 minute ride and if your hotel is in walking distance of the convention center you should be perfectly fine. From what I remember the entrance to the rail is through the airport parking garage, and the fee is only like 5 - 10 dollars.

A question about the Westin, but does anyone know how their internet access is and anything about the hotel quality in general? Also does anyone know anywhere that provides storage lockers for the day or something? This is the first year I've gone that I need to check out on Sunday, and I'd prefer not to have to haul my luggage all over the place if possible.

jthom252 on
  • Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Light rail from the airport to down town is $2.75 (40 min ride) and the Grand Hyatt is only a 5 minute walk away.
    jthom252 wrote: »
    Also does anyone know anywhere that provides storage lockers for the day or something? This is the first year I've gone that I need to check out on Sunday, and I'd prefer not to have to haul my luggage all over the place if possible.

You dont need a locker if you are checking out on Sundy. Hotels have a bag check service where they set aside a room to hold everyone's bags that are checking out that day. They attached a number to your belongings and give you a ticket. Someone is always guarding the room.

This is not a special service just for Pax, all good hotels do this every day for no charge (you still need to tip). Just remember next time you stay somewhere that you have to check out early, but your flight doesn't leave until much later, to check your bags at the Bell Desk and have a worry free day.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    jthom252jthom252 Duarte, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    You dont need a locker if you are checking out on Sundy. Hotels have a bag check service where they set aside a room to hold everyone's bags that are checking out that day. They attached a number to your belongings and give you a ticket. Someone is always guarding the room.

This is not a special service just for Pax, all good hotels do this every day for no charge (you still need to tip). Just remember next time you stay somewhere that you have to check out early, but your flight doesn't leave until much later, to check your bags at the Bell Desk and have a worry free day.

Thanks for the info, do you know how much someone should normally tip for that kind of thing?

jthom252 on
  • Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    sad face does anything cool happen at the Westin? First pax and it looks like i really missed out by not camping the site and getting the Sheraton

• Options
    SkeleVader wrote: »

Light rail from the airport to down town is $2.75 (40 min ride) and the Grand Hyatt is only a 5 minute walk away.
    jthom252 wrote: »
    Also does anyone know anywhere that provides storage lockers for the day or something? This is the first year I've gone that I need to check out on Sunday, and I'd prefer not to have to haul my luggage all over the place if possible.

A note on bag check. The Hyatt has a nice bag check, huge locking room the whole nine yards, but on Thursday (checking in at least) they got a bit busy and it was hard to find our relatively generic bags in the huge mess. So do like they say at the airport and put a ribbon or something on the handle to make it distinct. (we had one bright red backpack that stuck out and they had no problem with me looking in the room and pointing it out to them to make it easier to find.)
    Just to emphasize, they didn't lose my bag, everything was safe, but the hotels are (obviously) swamped so our bag was hard to spot in the sea of bags that was the check room.

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Also, that being said, every room at the Homewood is a "suite" of a kind, some larger than others, and those were all available to attendees too.

When registration opened there was only a couple rooms at the homewood available. A few more opened up a couple hours after that but I never saw It go higher than the single digits. When I saw that I also assumed that they were holding some aside for exhibitors.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    Also, that being said, every room at the Homewood is a "suite" of a kind, some larger than others, and those were all available to attendees too.

When registration opened there was only a couple rooms at the homewood available. A few more opened up a couple hours after that but I never saw It go higher than the single digits. When I saw that I also assumed that they were holding some aside for exhibitors.

It started at around 40-ish actually, they just went /really/ fast.

• Options

It started at around 40-ish actually, they just went /really/ fast.

I'm actually a little floored by how fast hotels are going this year. I was going to say "Last year I booked so late..." but it actually appears I booked on 4/28 last year (still, adjusting for the time everything went up later in the cycle last year.) Although last year I booked then because (IIRC) the Sheraton had sold out, this year for a Thurs-Monday stay there are only 4 total hotels left (and my guess is soon to be 3, since the W has only 7 rooms for that time period.) Granted, it seems like there are signficantly more total rooms in the "Friday-Sun." part of the block overall.

• Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    IIRC, the Club Lounge at The Sheraton does pertain to the floor levels 32-34 (so whoever said that, got it right) but it's for the Starwood Rewards members. Kinda like their version of Frequent-Flyer-Miles. If available, members can upgrade (I don't remember the $/night fee) upon check-in.

Speaking of, I think I will be in one of those floors this year--if available. ...I do frequent Sheraton hotels when I travel.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    BadNews65BadNews65 Data Solutions Analyst ArkansasRegistered User regular
    Anyone ever stay or know anything about the Renasissance Mariot? I notice its about a 8 minute walk from Pax and the pier (we are going to take the boat to Canada while we are there) Just wonderng if the 3 block walk is bad and what is near the hotel and just general info about the hotel since this is my first Pax and also first Vacation.

• Options
    shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    BTW, has anyone stayed at the Hilton Seattle (not the Homewood) before? What is the 'net access like? Their web site references LodgeNet (the leading provider of interactive media and connectivity services according to their web site, which sounds like a pay-by-the-day ISP) when referring to the entertainment (flat screen, pay per view movies, etc), but says the desks have 'internet plugs' when referring to the power jacks at the desks.

Okies I haven't stayed at that particular Hilton before (tho I am for PAX) but if its the standard Hilton setup (which I would assume) then it just means that there is a CAT5 network cable next to the power sockets which you can use rather than relying on the WiFi - it still costs tho and US Hilton's are generally around $10 a day (tho there are usually 3-day and week passes). Also as the hotle is a bit further away from the Con I would suspect it's internet won't be getting hammered as much as the hotels which are closer.

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    The Hilton Homewood has free Wifi :)

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    PatrickKanePatrickKane I'm a doctor Registered User regular
    sanovah wrote: »
    sad face does anything cool happen at the Westin? First pax and it looks like i really missed out by not camping the site and getting the Sheraton

Eh, you're not missing much by not being at the Sheraton. Just go there after PAX and chill out then walk back to your room.

• Options
    AlbadiaAlbadia Registered User regular
    Might be a little late now but don't forget you can always call OnPeak AND call the actual hotel.

My friends and I had a great experience at the Paramount last year so we wanted it again and it was gone on the website. I was able to book a standard rate room directly through the hotel that night "just in case", and called OnPeak in the morning and booked a 2-bed room (website showed it was totally booked) for the better price.

Internet wise, I had very good luck with the 4G service there (through Verizon) last year.

• Options
    CodeMonkey76CodeMonkey76 Software Developer Orem, UTRegistered User regular
    Albadia wrote: »
    Might be a little late now but don't forget you can always call OnPeak AND call the actual hotel.
    Except some hotels, like the Sheraton, don't do that. They just tell you that they're all reserved for PAX and you have to go through the 3rd party reservation system.

• Options
    MAGZineMAGZine Registered User new member
    Albadia wrote: »
    Except some hotels, like the Sheraton, don't do that. They just tell you that they're all reserved for PAX and you have to go through the 3rd party reservation system.
    I'm fairly sure that the hotel doesn't even have much information outside of number of rooms spoken for, anyhow. I thought all of the more-finalized data got sent a couple weeks before PAX.

• Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Does anyone know if the westin has fridges in their rooms we can use without getting yelled at? Hoping i don't have to buy a $50 cooler I'm going to leave in a Seattle dumpster when i fly back

sanovah on
  • Options
    sanovah wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the westin has fridges in their rooms we can use without getting yelled at? Hoping i don't have to buy a $50 cooler I'm going to leave in a Seattle dumpster when i fly back

Can't speak for the westin, but may I suggest Styrofoam coolers? They've come a long way in recent years and aren't $50 ;).

• Options
    cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Guys, clearly the scalpers are buying the hotel rooms!!

For those of you still looking for cheap, close hotels, I suggest The Baroness and The Inn at Virginia Mason.

cocowoushi on
  • Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    Okies I haven't stayed at that particular Hilton before (tho I am for PAX) but if its the standard Hilton setup (which I would assume) then it just means that there is a CAT5 network cable next to the power sockets which you can use rather than relying on the WiFi - it still costs tho and US Hilton's are generally around $10 a day (tho there are usually 3-day and week passes). Also as the hotle is a bit further away from the Con I would suspect it's internet won't be getting hammered as much as the hotels which are closer.
    Hmm, while it sucks that it's potentially not free, I also don't mind too much paying for a better connection. Worse case, we tether out phones to the laptops. And since I have a spare DLink NAT/PAT/WIFI AP here, I think it's just made the list of things to bring with.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully they can provide a rollaway bed as well (I was only able to get a king bed reserved). While I obviously like my friend who is coming with, I don't exactly like him that much. :winky:

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    Hmm, while it sucks that it's potentially not free, I also don't mind too much paying for a better connection. Worse case, we tether out phones to the laptops. And since I have a spare DLink NAT/PAT/WIFI AP here, I think it's just made the list of things to bring with.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully they can provide a rollaway bed as well (I was only able to get a king bed reserved). While I obviously like my friend who is coming with, I don't exactly like him that much. :winky:

Hilton used to have a deal where if you signed up for their free rewards (Hilton Honors) you'd get free wifi during your stay. It was active the last time I stayed a Hilton about a year ago (sorry don't travel much.) My wife has stayed at a hilton more recently than that and says it's still around (YMMV). But it's free, so just do it. And do it before hand so you have your info. (We never used the wired internet so I don't know if that's included.)

• Options
    WiFi at the Grand Hyatt is $9.95 for 24 hours. I just called them to check.

• Options
    MarkWebsterMarkWebster Ottersaurus Rex OntarioRegistered User regular
    Hey guys,

Which is a better hotel generally? Roosevelt or Warwick? Similar prices but Roosevelt is closer but Warwick has an extra star...

• Options
    tinedizzletinedizzle Kelso, WARegistered User regular
    BadNews65 wrote: »
    Anyone ever stay or know anything about the Renasissance Mariot? I notice its about a 8 minute walk from Pax and the pier (we are going to take the boat to Canada while we are there) Just wonderng if the 3 block walk is bad and what is near the hotel and just general info about the hotel since this is my first Pax and also first Vacation.
    Only thing thats sucks about the Renaissance is the steep uphill walk back to the hotel after being on your feet all day, I know from experience I stayed there in 2010, will never do that again. Stayed at the Westin last year the walk is longer, but so much easier on the feet and legs, it is slightly downhill from PAX. And this year I'm booked at the Warwick, 1 block further than the Westin but much easier of a walk than the renaissance.

• Options
    yanthraxyanthrax boners bonersRegistered User regular
    Hey guys,

Which is a better hotel generally? Roosevelt or Warwick? Similar prices but Roosevelt is closer but Warwick has an extra star...

I'd like to know anyone's thoughts on the Warwick as well. I booked it several months ago for a very reasonable rate and held onto it in case I couldn't get something at the Sheraton (surprise surprise) and it looks like it's going to be my group's hotel for this year's PAX Prime. Any information about the actual rooms? Outside of that all I know is it's got a pool, whirlpool, and an exercise room.

This discussion has been closed.