As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Let's widen our backs. Who's up for some pull-ups?

Here we go: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/widen_your_back.htm

• HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    This has been a godsend for loosening up my ass (and hips).

Fixed that for you.
    Active discussions in related forums
    Discussion Replies Latest Post
    Health forum
    The annoying gluten-free trend and the attention seekers who keep this vile machine well-lubricated 427 1 minute ago

Apropos.

• MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    First squats with the new belt were great. I would flex my abs into it, begin the descent, and as soon as I started coming out of the hole I was pushing into it and it felt like my torso was stiff as a marble pillar.

On a more pathetic note, my tendinitis is back. Left arm only. I'm mobbing my shoulder and doing chins as my pull on my second heavy day. First heavy day's pull is PC's, light day is deadlifts, and second heavy day is chins. I hope this flushes it.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Man I wish I could do chin ups, I really do. I'm confident I could start working my way up to doing a few reps at the moment, but finding chin up bars that would hold my weight is hard, expensive as fuck ones usually, that and I don't think my room mate's dad would like me drilling holes into the doorway in the basement.

Ah well. Anyway I took a second good hard look at that video of my deadlifting and I can safely say I don't really crouch anywhere as deep as I think I do. Doesn't hurt for me to be conscious of it just in case though.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • MogsMogs Registered User regular
    I deadlifted my bodyweight (and some change-I weigh around 160) yesterday - yay! 135x8, 150x5, 155x3, 165x1

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Arthil wrote: »
    Man I wish I could do chin ups, I really do. I'm confident I could start working my way up to doing a few reps at the moment, but finding chin up bars that would hold my weight is hard, expensive as fuck ones usually, that and I don't think my room mate's dad would like me drilling holes into the doorway in the basement.

Ah well. Anyway I took a second good hard look at that video of my deadlifting and I can safely say I don't really crouch anywhere as deep as I think I do. Doesn't hurt for me to be conscious of it just in case though.

At your weight chin ups are not going to happen without machine assistance.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Congrats Mogs! That's a nice milestone.

At your weight chin ups are not going to happen without machine assistance.

Thinking about it that's a good point, last time I tried a push up my entire upper body basically told me to go fuck myself.

• CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    Guys guys guys.
    Im 6'0 and 215lbs. I can run a 9 minute mile, not comfortable, and do 5 pullups, not comfortable. and maybe 20 pushups.

I dont know how to do any of that freeweight stuff without killing myself, but im meeting with a trainer monday to fix that.

How much of this sort of thing can I expect to make better by calisthenics/running alone, before having to big-man up and hit the weights? Or would focusing more on the weights increase those things also, quicker?

Except for running of course. Running is probably the best way to make running better...

Just learn the compound lifts and follow a program with daily progression. Let the rest take care of itself.

Lifting is the best way to get stronger. The "freeweight stuff" isn't rocket science, it just takes some practice. No matter what the trainer tells you, run it by someone else or otherwise double check it. The quality of trainers varies pretty widely and you don't want some clown giving you bad advice and getting you into bad habits, both form-wise and program-wise.

Funny you say running makes running better, I believe weight lifting that involves the legs can have just as good an effect if not more. Running more isn't what gets you faster, technically.

I had my friend do a video of me deadlifting 103 lb for reference against my other video. I -was- crouching a little bit, but it didn't take much to fix that. It still looks a little low, but I've a feeling it might be because I'm so big.

Speaking of, 103 is feeling pretty good now. Doesn't feel like a feather like 53 lb does though. Gonna need to start doing my warm up reps with something a bit heavier, same for my squats. I can't help but wonder how long I'll continue to have improvement with this, hopefully a while since it's a simple program and I have a lot of weight to shed.

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    CangoFett wrote: »
    Guys guys guys.
    Im 6'0 and 215lbs. I can run a 9 minute mile, not comfortable, and do 5 pullups, not comfortable. and maybe 20 pushups.

I dont know how to do any of that freeweight stuff without killing myself, but im meeting with a trainer monday to fix that.

How much of this sort of thing can I expect to make better by calisthenics/running alone, before having to big-man up and hit the weights? Or would focusing more on the weights increase those things also, quicker?

Except for running of course. Running is probably the best way to make running better...

Just going out a slogging a mile at a time will give you slower improvements than an actual program. Try to work in some distance work, pace work and interval work. The best way to get more comfortable running is run longer distances and higher volume. This won't necessarily improve your speed that much, but it'll make it feel easier.

• SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Time for biceps/triceps.

Here is a decent workout: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jon8.htm

Slider wrote: »
    Time for biceps/triceps.

Here is a decent workout: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jon8.htm

"Since my first biceps exercise is a cable movement, I also like to make my first triceps exercise a cable movement. I like to use a close grip V-bar and keep my elbows in tight. These hit all three heads of the triceps nicely, especially the otter head."

tumblr_lrqnlsreR11qgpswx.jpg

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    So I figured out whats up with my deadlift and squat form: my legs aren't flexible enough to get all the way down, or at least as far down as I should be getting, which is hampering my form.

What can I do to make my legs more flexible? Lower the weight a little on the squats to get all the way down? I'm only doing 135 on the deadlifts and am unable to get all the way down into it (but raising the bar along my shins and legs helped out a lot I felt today) which forces me to lift more with my back.

• CandlemassCandlemass Registered User regular
    Funny you say running makes running better, I believe weight lifting that involves the legs can have just as good an effect if not more. Running more isn't what gets you faster, technically.

Making your body stronger will make you faster, especially strengthening the glutes and hamstrings, but it won't help much in keeping the pace up for distance. Simply, to get better at something, you have to do it over and over.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Oghulk wrote: »
    So I figured out whats up with my deadlift and squat form: my legs aren't flexible enough to get all the way down, or at least as far down as I should be getting, which is hampering my form.

What can I do to make my legs more flexible? Lower the weight a little on the squats to get all the way down? I'm only doing 135 on the deadlifts and am unable to get all the way down into it (but raising the bar along my shins and legs helped out a lot I felt today) which forces me to lift more with my back.

This is very very rarely the case. It's more likely that your form is off. Make sure your stance is wide enough, your toes are out ~30 degrees, and you are shoving your knees out HARD. Take some videos of your lifts.

Yeah it's a little hard to believe you can't get low enough to deadlift correctly, that ain't all that low.

edited May 2012
    Fix yo form. Also post vids so we can mock/correct you.

Peen on
    Of course I think I might've pulled something doing my squats, which would've hurt it a bit too.

So I'll check my form again Monday

Candlemass wrote: »

Making your body stronger will make you faster, especially strengthening the glutes and hamstrings, but it won't help much in keeping the pace up for distance. Simply, to get better at something, you have to do it over and over.

HIIT will increase your VO2 max, which is a big big component of distance running. And if you're focusing on mile time, the compound lifts, some power movements, and HIIT will get you far.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Rarely do you think you pull something. You'll know when you do.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    I once did something in my neck/head deadlifting and it resulted in an immense, blinding pressure-headache-like sensation in the top of my skull for about 4 hours. I almost blacked out when I first put the barbell down on the floor. I had no idea to this day what I did... maybe a muscle pull in my neck?

But in any case, for about a month after the injury, any sort of heart-rate elevation (light squats, even climbing stairs too quickly) would start my headache up again.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I've occasionally had something go <tweak> while lifting, and while it's never a pull or painful, I feel I'm at that point where it's probably wiser for me to not push it and focus on some other lifts for the rest of the day.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    Rarely do you think you pull something. You'll know when you do.

Heh.. heh... *Rubs right shoulder from sudden memory pains* Eesh.

@Oghulk I ain't as experienced as any of these other guys but they got the right idea, your form is just off. Generally you want your feet at shoulder width, which is different for most people for obvious reasons. Grip tends to be a bit wider than that, but it depends on the lift as well. You DO NOT go too low for a deadlift, I was making this very same mistake. Do not try to -squat- in order to grab hold of the bar.

The best idea is to get your feet situated under the bar, grab it with one hand, then the other... try to keep the bend to your knees you'll have rather than squatting down to get it. This is just advice I'm shooting out in case you're doing what I did.

And yeah gotta push your knees out during the squat.

Oh, push knees outwards during the lift?

Well

I can see how you weren't getting very far if you were trying to keep them straight :B

Yeah

maybe that'll fix my form problems and make me not left with my back

hopefully that makes sense

Lift with your hips, though the drive starts from the feet/heels obviously. Definitely try to find some good videos to watch, I can't recommend any except for possibly some posted by dudes in this thread but they'll have been buried by now.

Yeah, my back just has such bad posture though that it almost forces me into bending my back

it's really annoying cause I've been trying to fix it for forever now

• SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    I don't know about anyone else but this website has been quite the resource for me.

Well I watched the video on there

my form is right, my back just doesn't stay straight

'Straight' is a terrible, HORRIBLE word to use to describe it. Technically you want your back -curved- but at a natural curve. You know how your lower back is when you are standing up straight, not slouching? That's what you want, it's all about making sure the lumbar curve in your back from bending forward. Keeping your chest out and head up during the squat definitely helps with this.

If with all that it still refuses to keep the natural curve... eh, I dunno D:

Yeah, keepin that lumbar curve straight is, uh, difficult for me cause of years of horrible posture.

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    So I was in the gym just shooting the shit with some friends on Friday and got to talking about my hip injury problems and my squats. One of the guys suggested I give squatting in heels a go to see if things cleared up and lent me his pair of adi-stars and damnit if they didn't make a massive difference.

Seriously, night and day. I need to be squatting in heels as of right now. Big l - are you still lifting in rogues? I'm thinking about the new adidas power lift trainers. They look like a good bang for buck. Would like the adi-stars but once I tack shipping onto them, it's going to be tuna for dinner for a long time.

Any of you lifting in heels? What are you using and what are your thoughts?

• Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    I'm lifting (as of 2 a week ago) in Risto White Thunders. I gave Peen my thoughts on them a few pages back.

My low bar squat doesn't seem much different (other than the added stability), but my high bar and front squat feel much better, particularly going in and coming out of the hole. I used to get lateral calf pain in my left side doing high bar squats, but I don't seem to get it (as badly) with the new shoes, though that is also in part to my form adjustments.

I'm gonna give them another run tomorrow on my high bar squats and see what other differences I can pick up. I've still got some work to do with my stance I think, before I'm 100% pain-free in my calf.

So I was in the gym just shooting the shit with some friends on Friday and got to talking about my hip injury problems and my squats. One of the guys suggested I give squatting in heels a go to see if things cleared up and lent me his pair of adi-stars and damnit if they didn't make a massive difference.

Seriously, night and day. I need to be squatting in heels as of right now. Big l - are you still lifting in rogues? I'm thinking about the new adidas power lift trainers. They look like a good bang for buck. Would like the adi-stars but once I tack shipping onto them, it's going to be tuna for dinner for a long time.

Any of you lifting in heels? What are you using and what are your thoughts?

I lift in Rogue 2011's. .75" heel. The straps make my foundation feel really solid. I love them for low-bar squats. Really feel everything loading up in the lower half of the movement, and good power transfer from the ground to the hips. I even love dealifting in them.

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Got some adidas power perfect IIs a couple of months ago, really wish I'd got some a couple of years ago, but it might just be because I was personally finding ankle mobility the biggest barrier to getting good depth on squats. Front squat particularly is a lot better.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    How did you know that ankle mobility was a problem? I'm told it's really common but I don't know how it's diagnosed.

This discussion has been closed.