As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] The Great Foodening - PAX Food Destinations 2012 now with map

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Specialties is probably my favorite place for lunch. They make some great sandwiches. Wheaton suggested Via Tribunali to us last year, but we didn't have time. The wife and I will likely hit that up for dinner on Thursday this year.

• irikahirikah Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Let's see.....

Tsukushinbo in the ID is fantastic for lunch and dinner if you're into Japanese. It's owned by the same family that owns Maneki, but it's considerable cheaper. Friday lunch is fugging fantastic - Housemade Ramen an Housemade Gyoza - and cheap, under 10 bucks, but the resturant fills up within 20 minutes of opening.

An array of choices in South Lake Union, including like 5 Tom Douglas places, make it a great locations: Serious Pie, Seastar (their happy hour is amazing), Tutta Bella, Brave Horse Tavern.

Knee High Stocking Co and Sun Liquor on Capitol Hill have probably the best cocktails in town, though KHSc is the only one of the pair that serves food.

I saw someone else mention Nishino, and if you're not adverse to heading out to Madison (the 11 outside WSCC will take you right there) the Harvest Vine is hands down the best Tapas in Seattle, and their weekend brunch is phenomal.

I'll post the details when I get home and off my phone.

Tsukushinbo
    515 S Main St
    Price Range: $-$$ for Lunch; $$-$$$ for Dinner

Knee High Stocking Co
    1356 E Olive Way
    $$

Sun Liquor
    607 Summit Ave E
    $$

The Harvest Vine
    2701 E Madison St
    $$ for Brunch (Sat and Sun from 10am-2pm); $$$ for Dinner

irikah on
    .life.laugh.love.
  • HeyJoeHeyJoe SeattleRegistered User regular
    Quintious wrote: »
    HeyJoe wrote: »
    Calozzi's in Pioneer Square, around the corner from Trinity Nightclub. Awesome, genuine Philly cheesesteaks Price - $

Ballet on Capitol Hill for a fusion of various Asian foods. Price - $ to $$

Piroshki Piroshki (next to Pike's Market) for um... piroshkis. Price - $

Ivar's down near The Olde Curiosity Shop. Keep it Clam! Price - $ (outside) or $$ (inside)

Purple Dot in Chinatown/International District - $$

If I were you I would avoid the restaurants within Pike's Market completely for food (mostly overpriced).

Disagree, unless you mean the sit-down places. Places like Michou, Pike Place Chowder, Piroshky Piroshky, etc. are amazing.

Sorry should have clarified, I did mean the sit down places! Piroshky (Piroshki??) is technically not in the main building so that is why I included it on my list (I'm assuming we are referring to the same place).

• QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    Calozzi's in Pioneer Square, around the corner from Trinity Nightclub. Awesome, genuine Philly cheesesteaks Price - $

Ivar's down near The Olde Curiosity Shop. Keep it Clam! Price - $ (outside) or $$ (inside)

If I were you I would avoid the restaurants within Pike's Market completely for food (mostly overpriced).

Disagree, unless you mean the sit-down places. Places like Michou, Pike Place Chowder, Piroshky Piroshky, etc. are amazing.

Sorry should have clarified, I did mean the sit down places! Piroshky (Piroshki??) is technically not in the main building so that is why I included it on my list (I'm assuming we are referring to the same place).

In that case, we are in accord :). Although fans of 'Sleepless in Seattle' typically have to go to Lowell's at least once to sit where Rob Reiner and Tom Hanks did their 'tiramasu' bit.

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    pood wrote: »
    go out to Fremont, get yourself a pork sandwich at Paseo

The problem with that is there's no Paseo in Fremont. THere's one in Wallingford and one in Ballard. I think you're thinking of Royal Grinders.

GO TO PASEO. NOW.
    http://www.paseoseattle.com/

There's one in Fremont
    And on at Shilshole Bay Marina (aka Deepest, Darkest Ballard)

The Shilshole one usually has shorter lines, but no indoor seating.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • PrincessCleoPrincessCleo Registered User regular
    Does anyone know of any places by the Convention Center that offer Gluten Free options? I found out in the last several months that I'm intolerant to wheat/gluten. I'm doing my own research, but any suggestions would be welcome!

• poodpood SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

The problem with that is there's no Paseo in Fremont. THere's one in Wallingford and one in Ballard. I think you're thinking of Royal Grinders.

Last time I checked, Paseo is still on top of Fremont: 4225 Fremont Ave N.

I also recommend Brouwers, if you like beer and lamb burgers.

If you like hot dogs, there's Japon dog (hot dogs + Japanese condiments) right across from the Hard Rock cafe.

pood on
    edited May 2012

GO TO PASEO. NOW.

+1000000

Also, the best bubble tea outside of the UDistrict is Bobechine ($) in Westlake Center Park (1514 4th Ave - about a 5 minute walk west from the convention center) - Green Tea milkshakes with adzuki is SO GOOD.

irikah on
    .life.laugh.love.
  • TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    Does anyone know of any places by the Convention Center that offer Gluten Free options? I found out in the last several months that I'm intolerant to wheat/gluten. I'm doing my own research, but any suggestions would be welcome!

I don't know about right by the convention center, but there are a few I know that are far(ish) away:
    1. Brunch at Portage Bay Cafe (391 TERRY AVE), has gluten free options, and a gigantic fruit bar

2. Blue Moon Burgers has gluten free options. It has a location on Cap Hill at 523 Broadway Avenue East, and in SLU at 920 Republican Street.

3. Cafe Flora at 2901 East Madison Street is both vegetarian and has both vegan and gluten free options.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Anyone know of good Mexican places near the convention centre?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

Rancho Bravo (listed in the spreadsheet) is decent and cheap.

I also kind of like El Farol, [1467 East Republican Street), which is further up the Hill.

I haven't heard about or been to Mexico, which is in Pacific Place.

But, I have been to El Malecon (1122 Post Avenue), which is pretty tasty Mexican, though a bit of a hike and out of the way.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • poodpood SeattleRegistered User regular

Disco11 wrote: »

I suspect there's going to be lots of taco trucks around for the event.

I'd like to put in a big heads up for Bauhaus coffee, 301 East Pine Street. 1) I love their coffee, 2) I love their space, 3) I love the chai, and 4) they're relatively near the convention center.

Also, it's the final PAX for this iteration of Bauhaus, so visit the space while you can.

• PrincessCleoPrincessCleo Registered User regular
    I guess I should have said within walking distance of the convention center. I need to find out if our hotel room has a fridge, that way if I can't find someplace I can buy premade food from I can at least take stuff with me.

• flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    Hypatia wrote: »
    There's this place called Din Tai Fung which has the most amazing soup dumplings ever! They're way out of the way, but if you're a foodie they are not to be missed, just the thought makes me drool!

This. If you have a way to get across the 520 bridge to Bellevue and haven't experienced taiwanese dumplings, it will make you a believer. Of note, even the vegetarian options are insanely good. WA location link for reference. Expect between 15-25 per person depending on how full you want to stuff yourself / how many drinks you order.

Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • geekyglamorousgeekyglamorous Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    Ambrosia Cafe, International District.
    cedelacruz wrote: »
    kaname, in international district, is a great place for authentic japanese food/ramen. it's a nice little family restaurant :)
    http://www.kaname-izakaya.com/

Thanks for the suggestions :)

• QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular
    flammiebc wrote: »
    Hypatia wrote: »
    There's this place called Din Tai Fung which has the most amazing soup dumplings ever! They're way out of the way, but if you're a foodie they are not to be missed, just the thought makes me drool!

This. If you have a way to get across the 520 bridge to Bellevue and haven't experienced taiwanese dumplings, it will make you a believer. Of note, even the vegetarian options are insanely good. WA location link for reference. Expect between 15-25 per person depending on how full you want to stuff yourself / how many drinks you order.

Just a heads up, the 520 bridge is now a toll road (costing $5 each way if you don't have a prepaid pass, $3.50 if you do). Coming to Bellevue it makes more sense to take I-90 these days. Course, going to DTF from downtown, it always made more sense to take I-90.

• TwizzleTwizzle Registered User regular

The Spagetti Factory is right across the street from the Convention Center and it has an entire menu of gluten free options. It's generally packed during the PAX event and it's a bit pricey but it's also a bit yummy. =)

• GeekyPrincessGeekyPrincess Registered User regular
    Twizzle wrote: »

The Spagetti Factory is right across the street from the Convention Center and it has an entire menu of gluten free options. It's generally packed during the PAX event and it's a bit pricey but it's also a bit yummy. =)

Cheesecake Factory. A lot of the restaurants on the top floor of Pacific Place have gluten free options, it's more chain restaurants than anything else but they do have stuff.

Cookie Brigade Prime 2011 and 2012!
    Shipping cookies for Prime 2013
  • zephusdragonzephusdragon Registered User regular
    I was planning on going to the Crab Pot well before PAX, but the way things are going we might have to wait until the day before PAX. So, is it as good as I've heard? That Man Vs Food episode made me REALLY want to go.

3-Day Pass [x]
    Hotel Booked [x]
    Drive Fiancee Batty over PAX [x][x][x]
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    I was planning on going to the Crab Pot well before PAX, but the way things are going we might have to wait until the day before PAX. So, is it as good as I've heard? That Man Vs Food episode made me REALLY want to go.

We went last year. I enjoyed it. It is a bit pricey but you get a bunch of food (we didn't finish all the mussels or corn.) I don't get fresh crab that often in the midwest so that was somewhat nice. (at least I presume it was fresh, we get all our crab from you guys.) It's also fun to beat the crap out of your food before you eat it. Even the vegetarian with us (who had eaten before we got there and was there for the company) engaged in the violence against shellfish.
    Also wear clothes that can get dirty. I dropped several mussels on myself by not paying attention or slippery buttered fingers.. I don't mean like "disposable clothes" or "paint clothes" dirty, just "I'm not likely to wear this again this trip" dirty.

• BigWhiteRyanBigWhiteRyan Registered User regular
    Alright, I'm a Seattlite and 3 of my favorite places aren't in here so I thought I'd help out.

Marination Station $ - 10 minute walk up Pike from the CC. Hawaiian/Korean food, pork sliders, chicken quesadillas, and my #1 fast lunch option: Kimchi Fried Rice w/ fried egg and Kalbi beef.

BuiltBurger $ - Edge of Pioneer Square, about 15-20 m walk from CC. AMAZING burgers, and you get these potato beignets which are delish.

Lunchbox Laboratory $$ - A sit down joint, near the big REI, probably a 15-20m walk from the CC. Fun atmosphere, unusual burger options, you can get tater tots w/ it, and I've had the best Milkshake of my life there, the Drunken Elvis. Vanilla ice cream, peanut butter, banana, and vanilla vodka.

• clethraclethra Registered User regular
    Drakmathus wrote: »
    clethra wrote: »
    I'm a vegan eater and...

have you been to cafe flora? it requires a bus ride but sunday brunch is awesome.

I haven't because having to ride a bus = less time at pax, usually. We're not leaving until Monday this time though so maybe I'll hit it then.

• clethraclethra Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I guess I should have said within walking distance of the convention center. I need to find out if our hotel room has a fridge, that way if I can't find someplace I can buy premade food from I can at least take stuff with me.

Go to Cinnamon Works in Pike Place market in the morning before con opens, buy 1-2 delicious gluten-free pastry items, maybe pick up some healthy fresh fruit on the way out. Seriously, if you're newly gluten free finding places that can do delicious pastries makes everything seem easier. If you see a girl there with a con badge going into sugar coma over their vegan cinnamon rolls say hi.

I think two others on my list will also be good for you - Juicy Cafe's menu (http://www.thejuicycafe.com/images/juicy_menu.pdf) lists what bowls and things are gluten free and if you want something fancy Maggiano's can probably take care of you. I'm sure there are other options (sushi, especially if you bring your own soy sauce, should be easy) - and a quick internet search says both Wild Ginger (chinese) and Andaluca have some gluten free options and there's always PF Changs.

I would recommend bringing some snack items for when you're too busy doing things at con to go get food but you should have plenty of options. The Seattle Convention center area is AMAZING for food for all kinds of special diets.

clethra on
    Tips for breakfast/brunch (not downtown):

So, you're a morning person? First of all: booooo. Secondly, you're probably hungry and want something to eat, and want to see more of Seattle.

Glo's has the best breakfast diner food around (1621 East Olive Way). They're only open from 7am-3pm, and on Friday/Saturday (and possibly Sunday for Labor Day) from Midnight-4am. Warning: Glo's is TINY, and waits can be upwards of an hour, no reservations. B-fast runs $8-15, no alcohol.

Linda's (707 East Pine Street) has decent brunch food and serves drinks. 21+. They have great hash browns, and their Buffalo Mary is a great drink. Also, Emergen-C Elixir is great. B-fast runs you $7-12, and drinks are $6-9.

If you have a car, Salty's on Alki Beach is supposed to have amazing fancy pants brunch, (1936 Harbor Ave SW). I've never been that far off the path.

• ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Complexity wrote: »
    Although I can strongly vouch for salty's, it doesn't really belong on this list. It's on alki beach, across a highway bridge. Not really a PAX place.

Yes it got added because there were a lot of requests and comments about it last year. On the distance column you will notice it's 5.6 miles away. I am a sucker for punishment and Google mapped every single location to get the distance from the WSCC.
    irikah wrote: »
    Also, the best bubble tea outside of the UDistrict is Bobechine ($) in Westlake Center Park (1514 4th Ave - about a 5 minute walk west from the convention center) - Green Tea milkshakes with adzuki is SO GOOD.

Added
    Tip for anybody who wants to lunch on Thursday and Friday early, there is a pulled pork sammich (and other yummy goodness) truck shaped like a pig that is usually at 2nd and Pike from 11-2. It's called Maximus Minimus/ and is totally tasty. If you're into spicy food, get your sandwich "with some hurt."

Thanks added to list.

ElmoFuntz on
    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

edited May 2012
    Hmm guess you can't delete your own posts guess consolidating all mine won't work.

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

Is there a map anywhere with all these places pinned on it? If not, might it be possible to add a "distance from the convention center" line to the spreadsheet?

Otherwise, marvelous and incredibly informative. Thanks for putting this together!

I think that's what the third column marked "distance" is: distance from Con.

The second column with entries called Gmap takes you directly to the address in Maps on my iPhone.

Although, it might be nice to have a map as well.
    Is there a map anywhere with all these places pinned on it? If not, might it be possible to add a "distance from the convention center" line to the spreadsheet?

Otherwise, marvelous and incredibly informative. Thanks for putting this together!

So 3 years ago we tried a map and it turned into a horrid mess of markers where it was very hard to see what was what. As a solution I opted for adding distance which I go into Google maps and map it for every single place so the distance is accurate and a Gmap link which will work on an android or iPhone to give you a way to get directions for wherever you are with a simple click on the cell and then tell it to give you directions from your current location.

vn6ID15.png

If you find any let me know and I'll add them to the list with a note they are. Good to have those options!

vn6ID15.png

• vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Tips for breakfast/brunch (not downtown):

If you have a car, Salty's on Alki Beach is supposed to have amazing fancy pants brunch, (1936 Harbor Ave SW). I've never been that far off the path.

Salty's is $40/person + tax and tip (figure $55-60 at least) not including drinks (their bloody marys are delicious). Spendy BUT if you are in Seattle once a year and want a meal to remember, this could be a good option. The view is phenomenal. It's a buffet and they have things like raw oysters, crab, shrimp, etc. They have other breakfast/buffet food but I always eat my weight (not really) in seafood so as to make that admission price worth it.

It's only 15-20 minutes from the convention center so even though you have to cross the scary, big ol' West Seattle bridge it's totally worth it IF you love seafood. If you are ambivalent about seafood there are other places to eat.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

Honestly, if you want Seafood you can do a lot better than Salty's and avoid the West Seattle Bridge (which is also currently in construction).

Tom Douglas' Sea Town in the Market is vastly superior, as is Seastar. Market Fish Fry is also great is you want fresh fried seafood (who doesn't?!).

And if you want a meal to remember? Canlis. The view alone makes the 115$ for the tasting worth it, but the food is absolutely superb. They do a la carte as well, and it runs ~30$ a plate.

And that's my anti-Salty's post >_>

.life.laugh.love.
  • NazoshadowNazoshadow Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Hey guys!
    This Living Social voucher does not expire, and it works like a coupon for take-out or delivery- it's a $10 certificate for $1. There are lots of restaurant options in Seattle to use it on, I'd personally vouch for Lunchbox Laboratory and I Love Sushi.

Great for take-out options for busy PAX goers. I'll post more deals that can be used at places near the con.

Since someone mentioned Cheesecake factory, if you order your food before 5 pm (yes, they will honor it even at 4:50), you can order off of the lunch menu which has cheaper options for pasta (Thai peanut chicken FTW), seafood, chicken, etc. Great way to save, since most people eat dinner around 5 pm. I know pastas run from $10-15 depending on what you order, and the seafood options are like $12-$15 a plate, but they fill you up plenty.

Also on the subject of seafood, Anthony's Pier 66 is quite good. You can opt for the fancy upstairs setting or eat at the downstairs diner setting... go with the diner setting as the prices are cheaper, and there are menu differences. They even have a "Sunset Dinner" option for the upstairs that I think goes till 6 pm (call and ask), where you can get a 3-course meal for $25 (once again you have to pick from a pre-fixed menu, but you do get your fix of trout, ling cod, etc.) Their creme brulee is tasty and I haven't had a bad dish there yet... (PICK THE CLAM CHOWDER AS YOUR STARTER)

I feel like I really should try Salty's... when I had a Microsoft interview, all the interviewers raved about it and it's included in their list of seafood restaurant options. Other options on their list include Elliott's Oyster House, Ray's Boathouse, Palisade, Ivar's Salmon House, Flying Fish, and Etta's. (I can't vouch for for any of them since I haven't been to any of them, but Microsoft employees seem to have liked it enough to include it in their tourist pamphlet lol).

Nazoshadow on
  • WalterFWalterF seattleRegistered User regular
    There's great Cheese-Steak place call Tat's about a mile away that I go to sometimes while I'm working in down town. I have no idea if it's authentic or not (I'd be interested in an expert opinion) but it's definitely yummy.

Price: $$
    Distance from PAX: 1.0 Mile
    Food: 9/10
    Variety: 7/10
    Wait: 8/10
    Easy of Gaming While Eating: 7/10

Site: http://www.tatsdeli.com/
    Map: http://g.co/maps/696qp

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular

In case it matters, the Crab Pot is a chain out of California that does New England seafood boils. It's really nothing specially 'Seattle'. Hence it's located in the middle of the Waterfront tourist trap area... Locals don't go there so much.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular

In case it matters, the Crab Pot is a chain out of California that does New England seafood boils. It's really nothing specially 'Seattle'. Hence it's located in the middle of the Waterfront tourist trap area... Locals don't go there so much.

It has fresher anything from saltwater than I can get in the midwest. (If I want to pay $35+ a pound, I can have Quinnault Salmon flown in, but that's about it.)
    The list needs more Seafood (non-sushi) restruants, frankly (I found 3 on it). The wife and I love seafood and would solely eat that if there were a list of resturants accordingly ;).

• LairdLaird Registered User regular
    Laird wrote: »
    For those of us not wanting to sit in a 50 person line for subway, half a block away there is a Jimmy Johns http://www.jimmyjohns.com/ half a block away from the convention center between 5th and 6th Ave. Great subs, fast, and cheap.

If you come to one of the great food cities of the US and subsist off of Subway, you need to be taken out into the Puget Sound and dropped in the middle of it ;). There are a lot of non-sitdown type places near the convention center with spectacular offerings, don't do the chain thing.

I don't know about you my friend, but usually at PAX I am on media related duties and I require fast meals for breakfast/lunch. I was just offering people a choice instead of a subway line with similar priced food items half a block away from the convention center. Most of the places I prefer to eat at in Seattle are not within walking distance of the convention center or have already been listed.

Nazoshadow wrote: »
    Hey guys!
    This Living Social voucher does not expire, and it works like a coupon for take-out or delivery- it's a $10 certificate for $1. There are lots of restaurant options in Seattle to use it on, I'd personally vouch for Lunchbox Laboratory and I Love Sushi.

Great for take-out options for busy PAX goers. I'll post more deals that can be used at places near the con.

Before buying make sure you read the fine print like the fact you have to order your food through livingsocial.com

vn6ID15.png

edited May 2012
    tsrblke wrote: »
    The list needs more Seafood (non-sushi) restruants, frankly (I found 3 on it). The wife and I love seafood and would solely eat that if there were a list of resturants accordingly ;).

Provide them and I might add them.

ElmoFuntz on
    vn6ID15.png

ElmoFuntz wrote: »

In non-chain land, there is The Brooklyn Steak, Seafood and Oysters at 1212 2nd Ave. They're phenomenal.

ElmoFuntz wrote: »

In non-chain land, there is The Brooklyn Steak, Seafood and Oysters at 1212 2nd Ave. They're phenomenal.

Can you provide more detail? I tend skip adding things without at least a cost value those are too hard for me to guess. Yes I can go look for an online menu but if you know about it save me the hassle :D The more details provided the more likely I will add things. Thanks and keep the suggestions and corrections coming!

vn6ID15.png

This discussion has been closed.