As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New batman Thread *Big Spoiler

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Arkham Asylum was mind blowingly good, especially for people who grew up on TAS.

Getting the actress for Barbara Gordon back as Oracle was a great touch.

wasn't TAS Barbara played by Tara Strong?

and Oracle in the game is the same person that did Ashley from Mass Effect...

That was the New Batman Adventures Batgirl. The original actress in TAS was Melissa Gilbert. The contrast between voices is startling.

It really is . I really don't know why they changed it. One of my many annoyances with that show.

Then they changed her voice actor again in Beyond.

I'm not sure why they changed her VA in Beyond. I did like Angie Harmon's work, though.

....cause they wanted na old actress to play an older character?

It's rare for an actor to pull off an older voice as well as someone in the business who is actually more in the age range they're going for.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    Arkham Asylum was mind blowingly good, especially for people who grew up on TAS.

Getting the actress for Barbara Gordon back as Oracle was a great touch.

wasn't TAS Barbara played by Tara Strong?

and Oracle in the game is the same person that did Ashley from Mass Effect...

That was the New Batman Adventures Batgirl. The original actress in TAS was Melissa Gilbert. The contrast between voices is startling.

It really is . I really don't know why they changed it. One of my many annoyances with that show.

Then they changed her voice actor again in Beyond.

I'm not sure why they changed her VA in Beyond. I did like Angie Harmon's work, though.

....cause they wanted na old actress to play an older character?

It's rare for an actor to pull off an older voice as well as someone in the business who is actually more in the age range they're going for.

That wasn't what I meant. It was only common sense they'd hire older actresses for an older Gordon. Harmon was the second actress to play her in Beyond.

• Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Holy shit you know what's fucking terrible

That new Dial H comic

xmassig2.gif
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular

That new Dial H comic

the china mieville one? is that out yet?

what's wrong with it? i was expecting it to be pretty good

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

That new Dial H comic
    I wouldn't call it terrible

it wasn't great

I think the protagonist was sort of weak

but the wacky variety of superheroes looks like it will be fun.

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    I didn't like the pacing of it, or the weird "superheroes"

It was not enjoyable at all to me

I shan't be reading more of it!

xmassig2.gif
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    It just seems like a creepy weird vertigo comic

which I mean

is fine, I guess

it just isn't something I really wanna read nor would like to see with Dial H for Hero because that concept is fun and wacky as hell

CYpGAPn.png
  • Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    the weird superheroes is the whole point!

although I must admit the book is a little dark for my tastes

the original concept was more fun and innocent

its sort of like what they are doing with the new, mopey Billy Batson

the weird superheroes is the whole point!

although I must admit the book is a little dark for my tastes

the original concept was more fun and innocent

its sort of like what they are doing with the new, mopey Billy Batson
    Man he ain't mopey

he's kind of a punk, yeah, but it is super obvious that he is going to shape up soon. Especially since he just got adopted by a big warm fuzzy foster family and the first thing he did was be a jerk to them and realize that he was, in fact, being a jerk.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    china mieville writing a weird vertigo comic sounds good to me but i can't say i understand why dial h

edited May 2012
    I guess they might have him become happy once he gets his powers

that would be alright

but so far it's just been Billy being a whiny little brat

the whole point of Captain Marvel is that he's not jaded and angry and super-serious

if that aspect of the character isn't there, it's not really Shazam

Butler For Life #1 on

that would be alright

the whole point of Captain Marvel is that he's not jaded and angry and super-serious

Well, he still hasn't actually become Shazam yet

and the fact that they are telegraphing him going through a redemption arc crazy hard

means that we probably aren't going to get jaded angry Shazam

just because Billy isn't AW SHUCKS GEE WILIKERS from the get go(considering we have had 16 pages of story total) doesn't mean they have totally gone against the concept of the character

CYpGAPn.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

that would be alright

I read what they did to the Marvel Family over the last few years.

I don't think DC as it is now gives a shit about that aspect of the character

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Blankzilla wrote: »

that would be alright

and the fact that they are telegraphing him going through a redemption arc crazy hard

just because Billy isn't AW SHUCKS GEE WILIKERS from the get go(considering we have had 16 pages of story total) doesn't mean they have totally gone against the concept of the character
    I just really don't trust Geoff Johns to write well at all.

His writing on JL has been just awful.

that would be alright

I just really don't trust Geoff Johns to write well at all.

His writing on JL has been just awful.
    Personally I think the first arc is competent when read as a whole

it was very trade written so it suffered in single issues. Still wasn't fantastic, but not a terrible comic.

Then the two one-offs since they jumped to the present have been pretty awesome, especially the one with Green Arrow.

Really, Johns has been at the top of his game since the reboot. Green Lantern has been quality and managed to freshen up his stagnant story and expose Hal for the jerk he is and Aquaman has been one of the best books of the relaunch. He said before the whole thing started that he had grown aware that he was using gore and shock deaths as a crutch and sought to replace them with stronger characters and humor, and he succeeded as far as I am concerned.

The FCBD issue is the first thing he's written post-New 52 that I thought was complete shit

CYpGAPn.png
    I don't think Johns has been good at all

his JL issues were mediocre at best. The characters showed up and snarked at each other. They felt like caricatures of the actual heroes.

He did that dumb trick where someone holds Wonder Woman's lasso and blatantly speaks their characterization, which is both lazy, awkward, and something he did in Blackest Night.

I haven't read any of his non-JL/Shazam works yet, but what I have read is barely passable.

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Blank have you read Irredeemable?

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
    Blank have you read Irredeemable?
    That's the first one Waid wrote, right? The one with the Superman analogue?

I read the first trade and enjoyed it, but heard it really starts to drag its heels 3 or so arcs in and is fizzling towards an end.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    I think it's still great.

Last issue is this month.

2dtr87s.png
    Huh. I will look into getting the second trade then, I really liked the first one.

I also read the first issue or two, I forget, of the spin-off and liked it.

CYpGAPn.png
    god no

I can't stand Indestructable. Hate that character, Max Carnage.

2dtr87s.png
    Well like I said I only read an issue or two and it was right after it launched so who knows

CYpGAPn.png
    It gets

really bad.

2dtr87s.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I like the emotional Spectrum idea. Wasn't aware there was so much hate for it.

Quire.jpg
    Its poorly executed.
    The red lanterns are rage for example. So they could have been portrayed as good guys who were pushed to far. Not heroes but vigilantes.

But they're bad guys because it's easier .

Like I said Sinestro corp was a brilliant idea but it ultimately lead to just awful awful stories

• ffaristocratffaristocrat Registered User regular
    Its poorly executed.
    The red lanterns are rage for example. So they could have been portrayed as good guys who were pushed to far. Not heroes but vigilantes.

Like I said Sinestro corp was a brilliant idea but it ultimately lead to just awful awful stories

Red Lanterns are bad guys? What? They've almost always been written as vigilantes.

edited May 2012
    Its poorly executed.

Red Lanterns are bad guys? What? They've almost always been written as vigilantes.

Have they?

I quit picking up comics shortly after They announced the Rainbow Lanterns. I assumed from pics like this
    682024-795px_atrocitus3_super.jpg

that Red Lanterns aren't remotely good.

Of course that could be all the sharp teeth and blood vomit. I'm still catching up on all this though. Lex Luthor geting a Power ring gave me a headache and I took a break.

King Riptor on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    @King Riptor, what do you have against blood vomit?

Its a perfectly natural act.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    ..does that Red Lantern lady have only one boob?

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Its poorly executed.

Have they?

I quit picking up comics shortly after They announced the Rainbow Lanterns. I assumed from pics like this
    682024-795px_atrocitus3_super.jpg

that Red Lanterns aren't remotely good.

Of course that could be all the sharp teeth and blood vomit. I'm still catching up on all this though. Lex Luthor geting a Power ring gave me a headache and I took a break.

You mean that time Luthor got deputized as an orange lantern?

He was pretty much the perfect example of greed, though.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Its poorly executed.

But it didn't. It led to quite a few fun stories and almost every Corps is different enough from the GLC to not be just a clone with a different color.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

that would be alright

it kind of does though

the whole reason the wizard chose him originally was because he was a good kid

if the wizard chooses this version of Billy, he might as well choose any random kid on the street

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    tumblr_m2vcs68F2m1r7l3v7o1_1280.png

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Now dodge-roll to the side so Bane runs into the wall!

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Now dodge-roll to the side so Bane runs into the wall!
    hehehe

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Dial H ... for murder!

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I kinda liked Dial H. Although I'm not familar with the original concept at all.

Reminded me of a weird cross between old EC comics and some offbeat Vertigo shit.

I read enough standard cape stuff as is.

Maximum wrote: »
    I kinda liked Dial H. Although I'm not familar with the original concept at all.

Reminded me of a weird cross between old EC comics and some offbeat Vertigo shit.

I read enough standard cape stuff as is.

Basically Kids fin d the dial. It turns them into random heroes and they beat up whatever villian is menacing them.

Then a new mini showed the dial ruin peoples lives because I guess that was the thing to do in comics at the time .

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Has anyone gotten that Harley's Revenge DLC for Arkham City? Is it any good?

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Haha whoops, that DLC isn't out til the end of May
    don't know how I messed that up

In other news, Marion Cotillard is not playing Talia al Ghul

This discussion has been closed.