As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: 300+ people lose their jobs. Curt Schilling still rich.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/diablo-iii-projected-to-sell-3-5-million-units-in-2012/095569
    With Diablo III launching later this month, analysts have begun weighing in on what the commercial reception will amount to in terms of units sold.

Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia (via GI.biz) estimates the game will sell 3.5m copies in 2012 alone, and will end up moving around or beyond 4m units for its lifetime figures.

"We think Diablo III, which is releasing after a gap of 12 years since the launch of Diablo II, has the potential to sell more than 4 million units life-time,” Bhatia explained. “We note that Diablo II had sold 4M units by August 2001 or 14 months following its initial release in June 2010."

Diablo III and its auction houses arrive May 15th for PC and OS X.

Man, I want a job where I can state things which seem pretty obvious and cash a check.

I feel like we bitch about analysts a lot, and I kind of feel bad about it. Then an article like this comes up and reminds me why I can't believe they're paid to do this.

There have been situations where we got really hyped up about something, one or more analysts said that it would likely do terribly, and it ended up doing terribly...right?

Something to keep in mind is that analysts are not there for us. They are there for the investors, the types who never play video games, don't know Mario from Mickey Mouse, and in general only peek out into the real world when forced. I know there are plenty of investors out there that take the time to do research, fact check, follow their investments closely, all that.. But for all the good investors, there are likely just as many who only read journals and let someone else do the fact-checking for them. Stupid, obvious analysis is for that latter group.

Doesn't excuse stupid, incorrect analysis, by the way. I hate analysts who pull shit out of thin air.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Has anyone linked to this article about the death of Free Radical? It's interesting but yet very self serving. At one point I found myself starting to empathize with LucasArts but then I snapped out of it.

It does really bring home how the high budgets lead to huge huge expectations of devs these days. Time was 2 millions sold was a big deal.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    Has anyone linked to this article about the death of Free Radical? It's interesting but yet very self serving. At one point I found myself starting to empathize with LucasArts but then I snapped out of it.

It does really bring home how the high budgets lead to huge huge expectations of devs these days. Time was 2 millions sold was a big deal.

Yup, I linked to it but it didn't spark a discussion. Still a good read if anyone hasn't clicked on it.

Also, Brian Fargo was tweeting about it today. Some interesting comments about publishers, I really hope Kickstarter continues to work for him.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Gotta love that Icarus Paradox in action. It's not enough to be successful within an industry; you've got to be able to know where the limits are, too.

Never really understood how publishers got the idea that the game industry is somehow bigger just because we have newer systems. PS3 and 360 sales combined still don't match the PS2's sales (though you can throw in the Wii sales as well, but that's not where publishers are trying to make the big hits), so why on earth would it be a poor showing if a game sells "only" a couple million copies? You only have a market of a certain size; throwing a big-ass budget at a game that doesn't really need it doesn't make the market any bigger.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    South Park: The Game aka: the Obsidian South Park RPG has changed names and is now known as South Park: The Stick of Truth

boxartlg.jpg
    From the perilous battlefields of the fourth-grade playground, a young hero will rise, destined to be South Park’s savior. From the creators of South Park, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, comes an epic quest to become… cool. Introducing South Park: The Stick of Truth.

Also it features Offline Co-op for some reason. No idea how that works though.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Oh man, THQ is totally going to sue those TrIQ guys for their logo.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Once again: no one cares that the Vita has a better lineup than the 3DS of a year ago in the past because it's not fighting against that 3DS but the 3DS of right now in the present which arguably fixed that "no games" problem. Once the Vita gets a few hard hitters we'll compare it to the 3DS of its future and have a clearer picture of everything.

This, oddly enough, is the same problem the Wii U may have against the 360 and PS3.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/11127.html
    Sony is enticing the entire world by announcing their plans for this year's major industry event. First and foremost, they say they will announce "the future of gameplay and innovation," which has gotten people talking.

Many like to assume this statement is in reference to the new PlayStation console, the PS4. Others just say they're talking about new software titles, which might make more sense at this particular moment in time. At any rate, Sony also says they'll show off over "20 new gaming experiences," which certainly implies some exclusive fireworks. You can probably expect a bunch of new game announcements for the Vita, as Sony continues to throw their weight behind the new portable.
    So...new hardware or something?

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    20 new Vita games, followed by "OH GOD PLEASE BUY IT NOW"

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    My best guess?

It'll be a combination of new and already announced titles, and some new software features for their products for good measure. Do they have Netflix running on all of them? If not, then I suspect that might make the list. Maybe some Playstation Suite news, perhaps a few downloadable titles, coupled with a few HD re-releases of some past successes.

Did Ninja Gaiden already get an HD collection? If not, then something like that might happen.

Shit, I should make a Bingo card for this...

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I'm not calling Myamoto an asshole or anything, I'm saying that he's pointing out an issue with the Vita that the 3DS had worse by several orders of magnitude. It's like an obese man telling someone that gained a few pounds that they are getting kinda fat.

It's more like a strong and healthy man who was once a weakling but built up his strength over the course of a year telling another weakling what he needs to do to bulk up. The weakling already has bulk up plans of his own but he seems to be taking his sweet time getting started and nobody trusts him because he's acting exactly like his father!

(Because fatness implies lots of something, and in this case the problem is a lack of something, not too much of something.)

I like your analogy though I'd tweak it slightly to mention that the other weakling is less of a weakling to start off than he was.
    Zephiran wrote: »
    My best guess?

It'll be a combination of new and already announced titles, and some new software features for their products for good measure. Do they have Netflix running on all of them? If not, then I suspect that might make the list. Maybe some Playstation Suite news, perhaps a few downloadable titles, coupled with a few HD re-releases of some past successes.

Did Ninja Gaiden already get an HD collection? If not, then something like that might happen.

Shit, I should make a Bingo card for this...
    Ninja Gaiden no. There was only one Ninja Gaiden on last gen consoles and it's already been ported twice and HDed once.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    New software, Android cross-platform work via PlayStation Suite.

PS4 is at best a quick shot to spoil any thunder they feel the Wii U may have.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    South Park: The Game aka: the Obsidian South Park RPG has changed names and is now known as South Park: The Stick of Truth

boxartlg.jpg
    From the perilous battlefields of the fourth-grade playground, a young hero will rise, destined to be South Park’s savior. From the creators of South Park, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, comes an epic quest to become… cool. Introducing South Park: The Stick of Truth.

What a terrible title

If they were going to subtitle it at all (which I don't think they should), you'd think they'd go with their existing link to a fantasy RPG and called it "Sword of a Thousand Truths"

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Once again: no one cares that the Vita has a better lineup than the 3DS of a year ago in the past because it's not fighting against that 3DS but the 3DS of right now in the present which arguably fixed that "no games" problem. Once the Vita gets a few hard hitters we'll compare it to the 3DS of its future and have a clearer picture of everything.

This, oddly enough, is the same problem the Wii U may have against the 360 and PS3.

People aren't going to get ports of games already available on their 360 and PS3, and they won't do it just because the Wii U has a tablet interface. Ironically it looks like the reason most will buy a Wii U will be the Nintendo games, again. And whatever exclusives they can nab, but other than that I have a hard time getting hyped for the console.

Sony is enticing the entire world by announcing their plans for this year's major industry event. First and foremost, they say they will announce "the future of gameplay and innovation," which has gotten people talking.

Many like to assume this statement is in reference to the new PlayStation console, the PS4. Others just say they're talking about new software titles, which might make more sense at this particular moment in time. At any rate, Sony also says they'll show off over "20 new gaming experiences," which certainly implies some exclusive fireworks. You can probably expect a bunch of new game announcements for the Vita, as Sony continues to throw their weight behind the new portable.

The hype site in question. It has a very excited, well I don't know but I think this is what you guys call a "hipster", right?

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular

People aren't going to get ports of games already available on their 360 and PS3, and they won't do it just because the Wii U has a tablet interface. Ironically it looks like the reason most will buy a Wii U will be the Nintendo games, again. And whatever exclusives they can nab, but other than that I have a hard time getting hyped for the console.

The hype site in question. It has a very excited, well I don't know but I think this is what you guys call a "hipster", right?

Nah, he's just a nerd.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    What genres consistently make Top 10 sales lists in Japan? RPGs and simulation games?

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Those, and dating sims as well as the odd popular anime spinoff. Music and rhythm games tend to pop up every now and then as well.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    What a terrible title

If they were going to subtitle it at all (which I don't think they should), you'd think they'd go with their existing link to a fantasy RPG and called it "Sword of a Thousand Truths"

No, actually its pretty great. First off it's something a fourth-grader could come up with, secondly it references the fact that what happens in the game is kids playing "pretend" while still being a refrence itself. "The stick of truth".

Get it?

That said, it doesn't sound all that great.

C2B on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I can't help but think of the Sword of Shannara with that title.

Real spoilers
    The macguffin of the book, the sword, was literal "truth" - the big bad guy was dead and he had to be hit with the sword to make him realise it.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Come here sonny boy, let grandpa tell you a story. Back when I was young - like you! - video games had multiple controller ports. You could plug in two at once, and play at the same time with someone! The game would be on the same screen, or it would be split half-way, player one on the top, player two on the bottom. Sure it was a little klunky, but by gosh we liked it! We'd sit on the couch together, have sleep overs, playing games together! You dang fabbled kids and your online-play-dongles.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

Come here sonny boy, let grandpa tell you a story. Back when I was young - like you! - video games had multiple controller ports. You could plug in two at once, and play at the same time with someone! The game would be on the same screen, or it would be split half-way, player one on the top, player two on the bottom. Sure it was a little klunky, but by gosh we liked it! We'd sit on the couch together, have sleep overs, playing games together! You dang fabbled kids and your online-play-dongles.

While hilarious, he probably means how it works in an RPG. Only example I'm aware of is the SNES FF3, where you could make it so that each controller handled two of the four characters during battle. I actually had a lot of fun with it. Back when I was young, and all.

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2012
    Old school Final Fantasy VI style multiplayer?

That would be funny.

Semi related/repost-

Despite what I think of the company today, for some reason, I am fondly remembering the build up to FFVII's release in '97.

e

I just watched the last season of The Guild, literally, this morning.

http://kotaku.com/5907598/first-elder-scrolls-online--details-make-it-sound-like-just-another-fantasy-mmo?tag=theelderscrolls

This scenario is fresh on my mind.

Sheep on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular

While hilarious, he probably means how it works in an RPG. Only example I'm aware of is the SNES FF3, where you could make it so that each controller handled two of the four characters during battle. I actually had a lot of fun with it. Back when I was young, and all.

The Tales games have had multiplayer action in an RPG for ages. Since at least the PS2.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Secret of Mana worked with the multitap.

• Options
    I

Pretty much. Gramps may have misunderstood me.

Though, I meant more how it works in a turn-based Paper Mario style RPG. Did any of the PM's have multiplayer (SPM doesn't count)?

• Options
    CutfangCutfang Dancing Bagel WalessssssssRegistered User regular
    Secret of Mana was incredibly good fun. I'm surprised more games haven't tried that method. I know there are Four Swords and Crystal Chronicles, but they required all of the gameboys which was quite out of the question at the time :( It makes me wonder if there are any games which have achieved comparitively high sales when they require multiple peripherals.

Dancing Bagel
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    pokemon sold more link cables than the FBI sold crack

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    pokemon sold more link cables than the FBI sold crack

Fuck car analogies, Jay is onto something here.

Okay but, it's been done before. Secret of Mana let you play two-player.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular

Okay but, it's been done before. Secret of Mana let you play two three-player.

FTFY

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Eternal Sonata/Trusty Bell let you assign one or more of the party members to another controller. I spent most of the game on p2 playing all the melee guys. It was my girlfriends game so she did everything else. It was a blast.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/steam-top-ten-sellers-chart-april-29-may-5/095619
    Valve has released the latest Steam top ten sellers chart for the week ending on May 5th.

Sniper Elite V2 sold well in its launch week, ending up in the runner-up position; however, this weekend’s big Arkham sale was not to be denied.

Batman: Arkham City earned the top slot thanks to a 50 per cent discount the past few days, and the Batman Arkham Bundle, which was offered at 58 per cent off, filled in right beside Sniper Elite, sharing the two spot as well.

Full list follows:

Batman: Arkham City
    Sniper Elite V2 and Batman Arkham Bundle
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 and The Walking Dead
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    Torchlight II
    Bastion
    Port Royale 3
    Toy Soldiers
    Risen 2: Dark Waters
    ORION: Dino Beatdown
    Dino Beatdown probably sold on name alone.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I know I want it now.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Okay but, it's been done before. Secret of Mana let you play two-player.

Secret of Mana is an Action-RPG, though. South Park will have a paper-mario like turn-based system and view. Thats why I'm wondering how they will integrate offline co-op.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Do code redeems count on Steam? Because Dino Beatdown was also a bonus reward for backers of the team's main game.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Anyone better the over on whether or not Eternal Sonata's japanese name would be mentioned in this thread more than once has just won big.

Can't believe anyone calls it that besides me, or hell, even remembers ES exists.

Crazy times those three years where you could claim (and would be absolutely right) that the 360 had more and better JRPGs then the PS3.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Eternal Sonata is an absolutely fantastic game. I really loved it for the charming story (albeit the WTF moment at the end of the game still confuses me) and the general combat mechanics were very fun as well.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Lucasfilm Entertainment Company files “Star Wars 1313″ video game trademark
    Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. has filed a trademark application (Serial Number: 85613835) with the United States Patent and Trademark Office for “Star Wars 1313″.

The filing covers a variety of goods and services including interactive entertainment software, books, toy action figures, online social networking services, and interactive video games.

After I spotted over a dozen registrations earlier this week for Star Wars 1313 domains like StarWars1313.com, I had speculated the project could be related to a potential Boba Fett movie. It wasn’t a strong argument and was based on the fact that CT-1313 was once an alias used by Boba Fett and last summer director Joe Johnston said he was trying to get George Lucas to make a movie featuring the bounty hunter.

While “Star Wars 1313″ now looks less likely related to a new film, apart from the trademark application filed on May 1, 2012, not much else is known including which platforms the game will be available on.

The goods and services listed are similar to previous video game trademark filings by Lucasfilm.

http://fusible.com/2012/05/lucasfilm-entertainment-company-files-star-wars-1313-video-game-trademark/

I'm not optimistic at all.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    These days, I continually forget LucasArts actually has other properties that do not contain lightsabers and space wizards.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I wonder if it will have a dance central kinect minigame?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    I'm just fucking surprised Lucas, or at least the company that wears his name, was able to do something number related that didn't involve 1138 or other goddamn trope numbers.

This discussion has been closed.