As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's talk about drugs, baby

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Robots can't even get high

Transmetropolitan will show you just how fucked up a robot can get

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • blixaphonicsblixaphonics the french champagne Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    My psychiatrist is thinking of trying me out with a benzo for a bit soon.

just curious, are you a generalized anxiety person or a panic attack person? my doc had me on clonazepam but my issue is more occasional panic attacks so i don't need the long-lasting, one-a-day sort of benzo, more the take-when-needed fast-acting one like xanax/alprazolam.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    This is scary too me.

Basically every psychiatric drug I've really even been on has had either nil effect or made me more prone to my negative moods.

just curious, are you a generalized anxiety person or a panic attack person? my doc had me on clonazepam but my issue is more occasional panic attacks so i don't need the long-lasting, one-a-day sort of benzo, more the take-when-needed fast-acting one like xanax/alprazolam.

I am diagnosed I think with general anxiety disorder.

I get really anxious about everything and have panic attacks in certain situations, usually social ones.

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited May 2012
    This is scary too me.

Basically every psychiatric drug I've really even been on has had either nil effect or made me more prone to my negative moods.

I am diagnosed I think with general anxiety disorder.

I get really anxious about everything and have panic attacks in certain situations, usually social ones.

yeah, if it's a daily thing a long-acting benzo like diazepam or clonazepam is probably the way to go. and trust me on this, benzos are not half as bad as SSRIs or the like. my old family doctor waaaay back put me on paxil and it was the WORST. benzos just take the anxiety away and make me cool with whatever is happening... though to be honest, if you start to do them regularly you make notice some mood swings. not so much depression, but sudden bursts of being REALLY pissed at stuff when you don't take them. that may just be me. but seriously, i've never had any issues with depression as a result of my alprazolam script.

then again, i tend to be a pretty happy guy even when my life takes a turn for the shitty. your mileage may vary.

blixaphonics on
    edited May 2012
    They did give me a little klonpin at the hospital once when I was having pretty much the worst panic attack I'm likely to ever have, so I kinda know what it does.

It really did take the edge off of all the worrying and made me able to slow down my thoughts and even sleep came pretty easy.
    yeah, if it's a daily thing a long-acting benzo like diazepam or clonazepam is probably the way to go. and trust me on this, benzos are not half as bad as SSRIs or the like. my old family doctor waaaay back put me on paxil and it was the WORST. benzos just take the anxiety away and make me cool with whatever is happening... though to be honest, if you start to do them regularly you make notice some mood swings. not so much depression, but sudden bursts of being REALLY pissed at stuff when you don't take them. that may just be me. but seriously, i've never had any issues with depression as a result of my alprazolam script.

then again, i tend to be a pretty happy guy even when my life takes a turn for the shitty. your mileage may vary.

Yeah that makes me nervous. I also am bipolar II so I get some pretty bad mood swings sometimes, though these are usually provoked by anxiety and nerves. They re also under limited control through therapy and a prescription of abilify for a mood stabilizer.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Kpins are the uberbenzo

The one i will always recommend if people are being put on a benzo

But if they do not need a benzo i say "no fuck you don't start popping bars"

lfYVHTd.png
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    benzos are pretty bullshit

they can help alleviate anxiety, totally, but they're so horribly addictive and, this is totally just me opining here, but i feel like "take these hard drugs EVERY DAY" is not the best solution to problems in life

reposig.jpg
    it annoys me when doctors prescribe SSRIs or anti-psychs or other anti-depressants for anxiety issues. that just tends to exacerbate the situation in my experience, benzos are the way to go IF you have a responsible MD who knows how to taper you off when the time comes, and doesn't just hand you a bottle with like 120 2mg clonazepam every month. be forewarned they are super-addictive and one of the few drugs that can match up to opiate addiction in terms of sheer horror. a lot of people don't know how bad they can be, habit-wise, and go all-in like it's tylenol or something. fortunately, i did some reading so i knew when they started me on them to take the minimum amount required...

and yeah... when i don't have them, i can get a bit pissy to people, but it's like the equivalent of being a pothead and not smoking for an entire day. just like 'what the fuck is wrong with the world' style mood-swings.

That's true fandy.

I certainly don't want to be addicted to any drugs.

But as it is therapy is stalling out because I am terrified of making even basic changes to the point where I worry myself to sleep way to late every night beat myself up over everything at the same time.

I don't think there is any magic pill, I've been on so many anti depressants and shit I am really at my wits end.

Maybe I just ain't cut out to have positive feelings in my life.

edited May 2012
    Fandyien wrote: »
    benzos are pretty bullshit

they can help alleviate anxiety, totally, but they're so horribly addictive and, this is totally just me opining here, but i feel like "take these hard drugs EVERY DAY" is not the best solution to problems in life

personally i feel that if they're taken in the minimum required amount and not abused, they are pretty harmless. if you're on like 4mg of xanax a day and just STOP, though, that can be life-threatening with seizures and all.

in my case, i've had panic attacks (bad ones) since i was in grade school, and benzos enabled me to actually live life and talk to other human beings and enjoy existence. so i will always be a proponent of them ONLY when they are absolutely needed to exist on any real level, and prescribed/taken responsibly.

that said, they're one of the worst things to get hooked on. i save my xanax for when they are absolutely necessary (i'm scripted 2mg a day and take maybe .5mg IF i take ANY, i've got a huge stockpile just sitting around because i couldn't bring myself to do them every day.)

blixaphonics on
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    I've flat out denied my scrip when i know I'm in a frame of mind where i'll abuse it

Just like most things, it takes discipline

lfYVHTd.png
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    I need to get some acid. It's just hard to find up in portland

• TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    well, you know what they say

you don't find acid, acid finds you

sig.png
    They say that?

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    My Citalopram ran out cause I'm a klutz. I'm not feeling depressed or anything, thankfully, but I've been getting these flashes of lightheadedness. It feels strange, but not altogether unpleasant.
    Moral of the story is: keep track of how many pills are left in the bottle!

• RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    They say that?

i've heard it tons of times

but its bullshit

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I like how people in major metro areas struggle to find drugs. I can find just about anything out here and I live in Wyoming. Granted, Cheyenne is at the intersection of i-80 and i-25 so there's lots of trafficking going on through here.

Metz find me some Aleph-1

sig.png
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I don't know what that is. I didn't say I do hard drugs, I just know that they're easy as fuck to get out here.

Hard drugs scare the hell out of me. I'm a funny fat guy, coke is our natural predator.

• RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    That is true.

drugs are pretty easy to get for me here, but it means taking a bus all the way downtown and i am so lazy and also i don't make money so

i can't imagine how tough it must be moving to a new city and trying to even find some weed
    just like
    how do you go about that without seeming like the creepiest person ever

Metz it was a joke

you see because you said you can find just about anything

and Aleph-1 is basically impossible to acquire anywhere

sig.png
    in southern california finding people with weed just sorta happens

lfYVHTd.png
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I like how people in major metro areas struggle to find drugs. I can find just about anything out here and I live in Wyoming. Granted, Cheyenne is at the intersection of i-80 and i-25 so there's lots of trafficking going on through here.

In college I used to have people come up to me with requests of where to get drugs & such.

And I told them the same answer every time.

"Literally walk into the college radio station and yell, 'I want some drugs!'"

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

In college I used to have people come up to me with requests of where to get drugs & such.

When people complain to me about not being able to find drugs I always reply with "Take an art class."

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    When people complain about not finding drugs I tell them to go to the AG building

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Same with most of the cities around here.

My town also has quite a big hard drug trade also. I hear a lot about coke.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
    i say "just go get a card"

lfYVHTd.png
    I immediately turn them in to the police

sig.png
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

When people complain to me about not being able to find drugs I always reply with "Take an art class."

philosophy also works well for that

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
    people here do lots of crack

not me or my friends, but there is a shitload of crack in this city

reposig.jpg
    Crack is whack yo

• cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    it annoys me when doctors prescribe SSRIs or anti-psychs or other anti-depressants for anxiety issues. that just tends to exacerbate the situation in my experience, benzos are the way to go IF you have a responsible MD who knows how to taper you off when the time comes, and doesn't just hand you a bottle with like 120 2mg clonazepam every month. be forewarned they are super-addictive and one of the few drugs that can match up to opiate addiction in terms of sheer horror. a lot of people don't know how bad they can be, habit-wise, and go all-in like it's tylenol or something. fortunately, i did some reading so i knew when they started me on them to take the minimum amount required...

and yeah... when i don't have them, i can get a bit pissy to people, but it's like the equivalent of being a pothead and not smoking for an entire day. just like 'what the fuck is wrong with the world' style mood-swings.

Ugh almost every member of my family locally is on at least 4mg of Ativan a day. I've got a whole bottle of xanax which I rarely use - if I'm super tense I prefer muscle relaxers, but I take a xanax maybe one every month or two? they give me less of a hangover the next day - and my sister and brother in law, who I live with, have easily 450 1mg Ativan between the two of them and that's after not filling their scripts for a month. Their doctor is so benzo happy it's totally fucked. I asked my sis for an ativan because I hear it is less of a high than xanax and more just a calmed down feeling without the stoned and I found a pile of them next to my purse. This is how I end up with drug stockpiles I won't ever use :|

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Crack is whack yo

its one of those drugs I don't understand why anyone does the first time

Like oh yeah, I've heard good things about this lets try it

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Crack is whack yo

You know, I never thought about that. That's a good question, why someone would start that.

Maybe they go from snorting to thinking "Oh, smoking's like the same thing and I'll save my nose, and it's cheaper!"

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Sometimes I feel like a bowl.

But I can't find any because I'm a 30-something white dude who isn't all hipstered out. People will literally be smoking a joint on the sidewalk "Nah, I don't know anyone."

Damnit I'm not an undercover cop.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Sometimes I feel like a bowl.

But I can't find any because I'm a 30-something white dude who isn't all hipstered out. People will literally be smoking a joint on the sidewalk "Nah, I don't know anyone."

Damnit I'm not an undercover cop.

you have to tell me you know

if you are

haha imagine if that were true

edited May 2012
    godmode wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Crack is whack yo

You know, I never thought about that. That's a good question, why someone would start that.

Maybe they go from snorting to thinking "Oh, smoking's like the same thing and I'll save my nose, and it's cheaper!"

i've smoked crack like five or six times in the past

the obvious answer is someone offers it to you, you say "fuck it" and get real high. i don't look at it as being any different then blow, something you can do once in a blue moon if you dig it

didn't have any desire to do coke/crack more then the few times it's be randomly given to me, deffo never wanted to spend money on it

some drugs click with certain people and they can't stop goin' for 'em, though, so obviously not everyone can do that but smoking crack once or twice isn't necessarily or even probably a path to addiction because really it's pretty dissapointing.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    cabsy wrote: »

Ugh almost every member of my family locally is on at least 4mg of Ativan a day. I've got a whole bottle of xanax which I rarely use - if I'm super tense I prefer muscle relaxers, but I take a xanax maybe one every month or two? they give me less of a hangover the next day - and my sister and brother in law, who I live with, have easily 450 1mg Ativan between the two of them and that's after not filling their scripts for a month. Their doctor is so benzo happy it's totally fucked. I asked my sis for an ativan because I hear it is less of a high than xanax and more just a calmed down feeling without the stoned and I found a pile of them next to my purse. This is how I end up with drug stockpiles I won't ever use :|

in my opinion there is absolutely no reason a doctor should ever prescribe 4mg a day of any benzo (unless we're talking like valium or restoril or whatever, where the lowest strength is 5mg and 15mg respectively -- but you get the point). then again, to be fair, i find ativan a lot less effective than xanax, but also waaaay more of a background thing if taken in those doses. 4mg of xanax would render me absolutely useless, but i kind of like that fact because it prevents me from ever taking more than 1mg (my usual dose is .5mg because i prefer to go with the minimum amount that will allow me to function during a panic attack). if your family members actually take that 4mg of ativan every day, it seriously scares me to think what they'll go through if they ever try to get off it... particularly with a benzo that has such a short half-life, the withdrawals will be SUPER-intense. hopefully their doctor is responsible enough to set up a taper schedule if/when the time comes.

do muscle relaxers help with a panic attack? personally i've never had an issue with feeling tense physically, just more of an 'oh my god i can't stop running this idea around my head and it's not letting me sleep and also i feel light-headed and like i might possibly have a heart attack any moment' sort of mental feeling when i get super stressed out. even then, if it's at a level where i know i can just breathe deep and shut my eyes for a minute or two and get past it, i will. i reserve the benzos for when the panic attack is so crippling it affects my ability to function for more than half an hour or so, or when i'm so stressed out i KNOW i won't get any sleep and it'll screw up my entire next day, or when it's bad enough that it will affect my work (and even in that case, if it hits me when i'm alone in my office, whatever, i can just work through that... but when i'm presenting something to my bosses or in a meeting i have to actively participate in? well, i can't really be sitting down and deep-breathing until it passes in that sort of situation -- doesn't look too good). it's when people start taking them every time something annoys them or 'just to chill out' that they're walking into dangerous territory. with something that can be as just addictive (or worse, according to some) as opiates, i prefer to leave them for the situations in which they're absolutely necessary. hence, i've got a ridiculously large stock-pile just sitting in my medicine cabinet. back in vancouver they were easy to exchange for pot (albeit it still felt weird getting street pot when i could go into a dispensary, even if i wasn't technically paying for it), but out here there's far less of a barter system as far as those things go.

wow, i can ramble about this stuff for days. :P

picked up some hella rad headies today

buddy of mine put a few ozs into a batch of butter, apparently, and has been making tons of delicious cookies and rice crispies. gonna try to acquire some of those tomorrow, because edibles rock

reposig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.