As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PS Vita] 2.0: PS1 support is a go (unless you live in North America and don't own a PS3)

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Mortal Kombat and the Blazblue series are the only fighters that actually have Story Modes worth being called such.

Yes they're totally awesome. Both of them.

Disagree. Smash Bros Brawl has a good one. So do the DBZ BT series of games and a few of the other silly anime fighters aren't bad.

Er... Smash Bros didn't have a story, that I recall. As in, there was no plot. It had a really cool single player "story" mode with lots of awesome stuff, but "worth being called [story mode]" it was most certainly not.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Mortal Kombat and the Blazblue series are the only fighters that actually have Story Modes worth being called such.

Disagree. Smash Bros Brawl has a good one. So do the DBZ BT series of games and a few of the other silly anime fighters aren't bad.

Er... Smash Bros didn't have a story, that I recall. As in, there was no plot. It had a really cool single player "story" mode with lots of awesome stuff, but "worth being called [story mode]" it was most certainly not.

Did you even play Brawl's Subspace Emissary mode?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    To answer the Daxter questions, I transferred my saves from my PSP to my PS3 then to my Vita before selling off my PSP. I just got Daxter last night. Yes it is the US version, I got it from the Daxter PSP bundle. So you are saying delete the save, make a new save file, and then re-transfer the save from my PS3?

Edit: Well I tried everything and yep the save is borked. Guess it's starting all over for me.
    Before you completely give up, try put both your old and new saves onto your PC and look at what the folder name of each is. It could be something as simple as having to rename the old save folder so that the game can detect it (NPEG00044 to UCES00842 or whatever).

nathanael, buy either the PSP or PS3 versions of the GoW Origins games. The only real differences as far as I'm aware are slightly better assets in GoS, controls (dodge is L+left analog, so probably not re-configurable to the right analog) and trophies, so if you're not bothered by any of those, you'll be fine.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular

I dunno if I'd count anime games since it's sort of the opposite - they have a story that they made a game around, and in the case of several DBZ games, the story wouldn't even make sense if you weren't familiar with the show to begin with because of the way they jump from event to event. But SSBB definitely had an awesome story.

King of Fighters has an excellent story, easily on par with those of the MK games. Especially the first orochi arc from Kof 95, 96, and 97. The ending to KoF 97 has been kinda dilluted ever since the series continued, but the most recent KoF games, specifically the ones revolving around the Ash saga, have an awesome story that is pretty much a direct sequel to the original trilogy arc. KoF's story is strong enough that they were able to build an RPG around the lore, at least.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    skeldare wrote: »

I did. I mainly just recall a bunch of nonsensical bullshit about different dimensions and floating hands all tying together an equally nonsensical side scrolling platorming beat em up.

I will give you a thousand imaginary dollars if you can recount the plot in reasonable detail without googling it.

Edit: I am willing to accept if I'm really the only one that feels this way, but it really did nothing for me. Less than nothing because I think it'd have been better without the mask of a story. Of course, I lost my patience for Nintendo's brand of storytelling quite a while ago, so maybe it is just me.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • nathanaelnathanael Registered User regular
    To answer the Daxter questions, I transferred my saves from my PSP to my PS3 then to my Vita before selling off my PSP. I just got Daxter last night. Yes it is the US version, I got it from the Daxter PSP bundle. So you are saying delete the save, make a new save file, and then re-transfer the save from my PS3?

Edit: Well I tried everything and yep the save is borked. Guess it's starting all over for me.
    Before you completely give up, try put both your old and new saves onto your PC and look at what the folder name of each is. It could be something as simple as having to rename the old save folder so that the game can detect it (NPEG00044 to UCES00842 or whatever).

nathanael, buy either the PSP or PS3 versions of the GoW Origins games. The only real differences as far as I'm aware are slightly better assets in GoS, controls (dodge is L+left analog, so probably not re-configurable to the right analog) and trophies, so if you're not bothered by any of those, you'll be fine.

Thanks. I'm less of a trophy whore on the Vita, so I'll probably grab whatever ends up costing the least. I'm already backlogged on PSP RPGs, so it'll be a bit... maybe they'll come down in price by the time I get to them.

This my Gamertag— NathanaelPM
    This is my PSN ID— Radthanael
  • MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Any updates regarding retro city rampage release? Is it still may?

• yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

I did. I mainly just recall a bunch of nonsensical bullshit about different dimensions and floating hands all tying together an equally nonsensical side scrolling platorming beat em up.

I will give you a thousand imaginary dollars if you can recount the plot in reasonable detail without googling it.

Edit: I am willing to accept if I'm really the only one that feels this way, but it really did nothing for me. Less than nothing because I think it'd have been better without the mask of a story. Of course, I lost my patience for Nintendo's brand of storytelling quite a while ago, so maybe it is just me.

Smash Bros. world, a place of crossover fighting.

Dude comes along. Forget his name. Steals dudes and places with bombs.

Fight, recruit folks for a while. Sorta your middling point of a long running tale.

First, turns out dude is actually ROB, which was pretty cool, and forced into working for a darker master.

Dedede's got some kinda plan.

Progress is made. Turns out the real evil's even gotten our handy friend, which sucks.

A final assault attempt is made.

Goes to shit.

Dedede's plan saves a few people! HUZZAH

Those people go and save everyone else. HUZZAHHHH

Round 2! And Sonic busts in out of nowhere because he was a late addition, weakens the real evil. Taboo was his name, I think?

So you fight him. He's still a cheap shitty fight. But you beat his ass into the dirt. Pretty sure all the stolen places go back to their proper locations in the world of Brawl.

I probably mixed up some details, haven't played the story in years. Also missed some subplotty bits, but you get the gist. The one thing I don't recall is the full detail of why Taboo did what he did, but I want to say it was intentionally vague.

• astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    I'm playing Grand Knights History on my Vita right now. MUAHAHAHA!

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • tragicktragick Registered User regular
    Playing Disgaea 3 for the first time. I got passed the tutorials, to the first battle with Rasberyl. Am i supposed to get decimated? I kind of expected the story to continue when I lost, since they were so very strong, but it resulted in a game over. I went ahead and saved afterword, and now my save file says 2nd cycle or something? Is that how many times you die and keep going? I've been grinding on the tutorial levels. Is it normally this much of a grind? This is my first Disgaea since the original, which i never beat.

You've gotten a special ending! But yeah now you've gotta start over. It's not necessary to grind too much, but occasionally you will probably have too. I got stuck in a few spots and had to do some leveling, but never too much. Usually just boosting up Mao and another character or two's levels was enough.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
    I fell asleep playing Trails in the Sky this afternoon, and as I was dozing off, I still managed to win a couple significant battles. It's a really elegant battle system.

You've gotten a special ending! But yeah now you've gotta start over. It's not necessary to grind too much, but occasionally you will probably have too. I got stuck in a few spots and had to do some leveling, but never too much. Usually just boosting up Mao and another character or two's levels was enough.

Yeah, I'm a good few chapters in, and only have grinded so far when someone reincarnated or I made a new character. Typically just gave them some decent gear and solo'd them through an early level or two for rapid XP, then started using them rear-guardily in main missions until they caught up.

• BountyHunterBountyHunter Registered User regular
    Just got my vita, i think im in love -_-.. i can possibly delay Diablo 3 just to play this little beast.. It first my circumstances much better. . .

Playing Disgaea 3.. but looking to get a fighting game.

Either UMvC3 / SFxT / Mortal Kombat..

Any suggestions?

D3: iNaddict#1252
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/iNaddict
    PSN: iNaddict
    Tried Blazblue? It's a really well done port.

yalborap wrote: »

Not the Vita version but i have Calamity Trigger on the PS3.. and was looking for something different. Leaning towards UMvC3 because i hear SF x Tek doesnt do the Tekken Characters justice.. and MK's graphics leaves something to be desired. Though i was really looking forward to get MK as i havent played a MK game since Super Nes -_-

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/resistance-burning-skies-exclusive-footage

I have to get to bed, so I only got to see a couple minutes, but one thing that stood out badly to me was that when you kill enemies they just fall down and disappear. Literally blink out of existence, they don't melt way, or dissolve, like some games do, they just vanish as if somebody flipped a switch.

I have the game pre-ordered though, I hope it's a decent portable Resistance game that I can actually play on my Vita.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    To be fair that looks a lot better than the awful initial footage.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'm really surprised at how into Disgaea I'm getting. I assumed I'd lose interest after completing the main story stuff but now I'm grinding out levels and items. Just saw my first pirate and now things apparently get serious.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/resistance-burning-skies-exclusive-footage

I have to get to bed, so I only got to see a couple minutes, but one thing that stood out badly to me was that when you kill enemies they just fall down and disappear. Literally blink out of existence, they don't melt way, or dissolve, like some games do, they just vanish as if somebody flipped a switch.

I have the game pre-ordered though, I hope it's a decent portable Resistance game that I can actually play on my Vita.

I thought it wouldn't bother me but godamn that is jarring. Just fade out or SOMETHING. It doesn't even need to be a cool effect - do what they did in Final Fantasy 1. I'd be content with a purple fade out...

Wraithverge on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular

Not the Vita version but i have Calamity Trigger on the PS3.. and was looking for something different. Leaning towards UMvC3 because i hear SF x Tek doesnt do the Tekken Characters justice.. and MK's graphics leaves something to be desired. Though i was really looking forward to get MK as i havent played a MK game since Super Nes -_-

The MK graphics aren't fantastic or anything, but it is supposed to be really, really good overall in general.

So if you were specifically hoping for MK, you should get MK.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    I think, had they cut out the transition from cutscene to the actual fight, and just had a hard cut to the two characters facing each other with "round one" displayed, that a lot of the comments about MK's graphics wouldn't have surfaced. The graphics only look poor when you look at the models and backgrounds up close. During normal fighting, the camera is so far panned back that the total lack of shaders isn't noticeable. The game looks fine when you're actually playing it, which is the important part. And MK plays like a dream on the vita.

I can't recommend MK enough. I double dipped on both the PS3 and PSV version, and I replayed the story mode this weekend. being able to play half a chapter or so while lounging around my place, not stuck in front of my TV, is awesome. The story is just as good as ever. I'm pretty confident in calling MK my favorite fighting game of this generation. I love stringing juggles together, it's got a great combo system in place.

• greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    I would get MK. Unlike most fighters it has lots of single player Kontent which is perfect for a mobile platform where you don't always have online. (And online has voice chat via mic)

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    Artreus wrote: »

The MK graphics aren't fantastic or anything, but it is supposed to be really, really good overall in general.

Ok thanks for the tips.. ill mull over it for a couple of days but am leaning back towards MK.

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Thinking of picking up MLB 12: The Show this week. I'm trying to decide between the PS3 and Vita versions, because although I'm sure it would look great in full HD on a TV, I can just download the Vita one for cheaper and have it on-the-go... and I hear that the PS3 one has a lot of problems and that the patches that are being rolled out only make things worse. Thoughts? Has anyone played The Show?

Edit: Hm. I read some reviews when The Show came out, but I just watched some video reviews of the Vita version on YouTube. Sounds like the Vita version is really meant to be a companion to the PS3 version, with a dumbed-down Road to the Show mode that exists mainly so that you can play some games on-the-go to rack up stats for your PS3-exported player. I think I'll pick up the PS3 one first and then maybe get the Vita one down the road if I feel that it's necessary.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    Artreus wrote: »

Ok thanks for the tips.. ill mull over it for a couple of days but am leaning back towards MK.

I hate citing Metacritic as much as the next guy, but MK on the Vita is getting astoundingly good reviews, with most reviewers saying the graphic hit is:

A) Not really noticeable and
    B) Totally worth the unfathomable amount of content that they squeezed onto the cart

So I'm buying it tomorrow.

Dylan Cuthbert posted on the US PS Blog about price drops to all the recent PixelJunk games (including Monsters Deluxe) to celebrate the release of PixelJunk 4am and he specifically mentioned this:
    (oh, and the “Deluxe” PSP version will even run on your PS Vita as of May 15th!)
    So expect an update to the PSP compatibility next week.

• LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    YESSSSS, COMPATIBILITY

• Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Yes, but how much? Just more PSP or are they finally pushing the PS1 Classics?

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
    Monsters is already compatible in Japan. :rotate:

Yes, but how much? Just more PSP or are they finally pushing the PS1 Classics?

Monsters is a PSP game and that's the only thing that's been mentioned in relation to it, so there's no reason whatsoever to believe it has anything to do with the PS1.

• WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Oh man, this is actually getting me excited. I have been hoping something like this was in the pipeline for the Vita. Looks like a Souls game... I'm hoping it's not quite as hard (I liked Demon Souls but I enjoy games a little more if I don't have to bash my head into a wall for hours).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzUgsBWQzRs

Edit: I thought Sony passed the IP on to From Software but they just passed on publishing Demon Souls. My bad.

Wraithverge on
  • DiamondGFXDiamondGFX Registered User regular
    For anyone on the fence about the Vita MK, the graphics really don't look that bad at all in action. And as someone else had mentioned, the amount of content for a mobile game is just absurd. The fights feel pretty fluid and handle pretty well, so overall I'm pretty impressed with it.

Plus, it includes all of the DLC fighters, which I thought was a nice touch. Between that, Rayman, and Motorstorm RC, I'm actually pretty happy with this thing so far (granted, I only got it on Sunday).

ain't got one
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Speaking of MK, Amazon is currently offering a deal where you can buy a wifi Vita and get MK and a 4 gig memory card for free.

Edit: I thought Sony passed the IP on to From Software but they just passed on publishing Demon Souls. My bad.

Unlike other (stupid) Japanese publishers, Sony almost always lets other publishers pick up first party games they've passed on in different regions. Capcom published the first few God of War's in Japan, Atlus/Namco published Demon's Souls in the US/Europe, D3 published White Knight Chronicles 2 in the US, XSEED published the last few Wild Arms, etc. So yeah, Demon's Souls is still Sony's.

Teaser looks pretty cool though. The pace looks a lot faster than Demon's Souls (though I suppose they could've just sped that footage up) but the art style is so similar it actually makes me believe my random Monster Hunter+Demon's Souls guess from a couple of weeks ago.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So PS1 games don't work yet, remote play doesn't work yet, a whole bunch of PSP games don't work yet, and Near still has major problems for some people, like me.

When the fuck is Sony going to deliver on advertised features that should have been ready to go before the thing came out?

LockedOnTarget on
    Uh, what? Remote play works. Not for all PS3 games, sure, but that was never advertised, announced or even confirmed. I'd hardly expect them to deliver something that was only ever a rumour. And I'm pretty sure they haven't advertised PS1 support yet (aside from saying it's coming post-launch and "soon") nor 100% backwards compatibility (they usually say something like "250+ PSP titles playable" or whatever).

In fact, PS1 games work through remote play. I'm halfway through FFVII on my vita simply by playing the game tethered to my phone on the bus every day remotely from my PS3.

• BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    In fact, PS1 games work through remote play. I'm halfway through FFVII on my vita simply by playing the game tethered to my phone on the bus every day remotely from my PS3.

Yeah, I can vouch for it working, though I don't think you can get back to the XMB from the game.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz

Yeah, I can vouch for it working, though I don't think you can get back to the XMB from the game.

within game? As in, pull up the XMB while the game is running? No you can't, because PSX titles don't have in-game XMB on the PS1. Pressing the PS button brings up the emulator settings. From within those emulator settings, you can select "quit game" and you'll go back to the XMB, however.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Okay, yeah, technically some PS3 games(barely anything) actually work through remote play therefore it's technically not false advertising, but come on, now. At least get some actual major games working with it.

There are a bunch of features that haven't been delivered in an anywhere near satisfying way yet, and Sony has done pretty close to nothing to keep people updated on their progress. It's been nearly three months since launch here, longer since Japan's, yet all we've gotten for PS1 games is "soon". It's already been soon. Keep us in the know! Considering the very dry post-launch game release schedule, at least give us something to let us know the future is bright.

E3 better have a great Vita showing or I am going to really regret buying this thing despite the very solid launch lineup.

LockedOnTarget on