As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[StarCraft2] POST IN THE NEW THREAD. DIABLO KILLED THIS ONE.

• fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    "rush" is not a strat.

Sorry 2v2 ally, I heard you say "rush", but it honestly just pissed me off.

10 pool is something.
    3 rax is something
    4 gate is something.

"RUSH" is nothing. It's nothing, and all it does is piss me off. Please, 2v2 people, in the first 2 minutes of the game, never say rush. There are all types of rush with all types of timings.

Thank you and good night.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    You responded by going Hatch first right?

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    You double gassless FE then.

The other team is so perplexed by your teammates ineffectual rush, they assume some cheese is coming and stay turtled. Meanwhile you get your deathball and roll them.

For my final project in visual basic I'm writing an upgrade calculator. It's only about 300 lines so far, but I'll be posting it once it's complete for anyone who's interested.

• marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    What exactly will it do?

I can put it an attacking and a defending unit, choose their attack and armor upgrade levels and additional buffs such as combat shields and guardian shields, then tell it to calculate dps and shots to kill. Then I can change the inputs and it will give both sets of data and a % improvement.

My ultra-super-beta form that doesn't support shields and a bunch of other stuff yet:
    nmKow.jpg?1

• marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Awesome! Looking forward to it!

• BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    that is a pretty great thing, will be cool to see how much upgrades actually affect things

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    That's a far more practical thing than I made for my last year Visual Basic assignment n school

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    it was a runescape experience calculator, since nobody asked.

I figured it was a tic-tac-toe game, like 90% of the rest of the class made.

I wanted to make something I'd actually use though.

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    wub wub wub

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    MMMig wrote: »
    wub wub wub

You made me go check if Idra was streaming.

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yilias wrote: »
    I can put it an attacking and a defending unit, choose their attack and armor upgrade levels and additional buffs such as combat shields and guardian shields, then tell it to calculate dps and shots to kill. Then I can change the inputs and it will give both sets of data and a % improvement.

My ultra-super-beta form that doesn't support shields and a bunch of other stuff yet:
    nmKow.jpg?1

you need to add corruption onto the defender column.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
    Thank you, good catch.

How will you calculate Protoss armour vs shield armour?

l4lGvOw.png

wra

I'll have to calculate it as two separate health pools.

Biosys wrote: »

... I think that was a classical version of Smooth Criminal TLO just had on. How is he so awesome.

• stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Make sure you get the interaction right here.
    I'm not sure about SC2 but I'm pretty sure (for broodwar) if one source of damage emptied the shields, the remaining damage basically functioned like a second hit on the hp (both shield armour and regular armour reduced the damage on the hit).

I might be tripping out.

stimtokolos on
  • EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    What do the PA toss (the few that remain) think of this: http://scdojo.tumblr.com/post/22486738029/forge-fast-expand-vs-terran

Artosis sums up FFE against Terran, including a BO based off of a game from Oz.

iG3kv1d.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    nice I'm glad he finally made a post on there again. the picture of his notebook with sc2 written on it still gets me.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    tlo: still sexy

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Yeah that was pretty nice.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    So I toss up TLOs stream.

Nydus worm with drones pouring out of it inside white-ras base.

Yep, sure is TLO.

Make sure you get the interaction right here.
    I'm not sure about SC2 but I'm pretty sure (for broodwar) if one source of damage emptied the shields, the remaining damage basically functioned like a second hit on the hp (both shield armour and regular armour reduced the damage on the hit).

I might be tripping out.

No, that's exactly how it works. I don't have shields in yet because they're hard to do the math for :P
    Euphemon wrote: »
    What do the PA toss (the few that remain) think of this: http://scdojo.tumblr.com/post/22486738029/forge-fast-expand-vs-terran

Artosis sums up FFE against Terran, including a BO based off of a game from Oz.

Us Terrans have talked about it a few times, and I know Dhal hates it. A Forge/Gate followup is less capable of defending gas builds than a 2Gate followup and can be punished very easily by some of them (Reaper expand, Hellion drop). If the Terran gasless FEs, the Forge is unnecessary to defend 1 Barracks worth of pressure and commits the Protoss to passivity. It's purpose is to either more easily defend a Marine/SCV all-in (which not even Naniwa apparently can do), or to get very fast upgrades for a 2 base Gateway timing. It is a terrible ladder build and I have no idea why people are using it there.

• chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    For my final project in visual basic I'm writing an upgrade calculator. It's only about 300 lines so far, but I'll be posting it once it's complete for anyone who's interested.

Oh dear god, Visual Basic.
    Why would you inflict this monstrosity upon the world? There are, literally, hundreds of other languages with nice GUI libraries you could use to do this (unless your grades are contingent on using VB, in which case, I am so sorry. :)

No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
    It is a class on Visual Basic, so yes I'm stuck with VB.

The only other languages I know atm though are C++, and MATLAB. If I had a choice on what language to use I'd use MATLAB like a real man and have cool graphs.

edited May 2012
    Oh, you might look into Python over the summer then. A lot of top companies expect you to know it quite well (unless you're going for a specific C++ job or something).
    It is no harm to learn it; it's an incredible language.

chuckleberryfinn on
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    when someone is doing a project for a class in a programming language, its usually a class on that programming language lol

oh metalopolis smoke, never leave

I'm not a comp sci major, I'm just an industrial & mechanical engineering major who finds programming and mathematics fun. I'll definitely look up Python though. Anything else you recommend? I was considering a class in Java this fall.

when someone is doing a project for a class in a programming language, its usually a class on that programming language lol

All of my Object Oriented/complexity modules in University left the language open ended (providing it satisfied a few requirements).

I'm not a comp sci major, I'm just an industrial & mechanical engineering major who finds programming and mathematics fun. I'll definitely look up Python though. Anything else you recommend? I was considering a class in Java this fall.

Java's ok (and again it's great to know), but sometimes it's dogged pursuit of OO methodologies is very frustrating.
    Considering it's the language of choice for Android apps dev (for the most part), I would definitely learn it.

@Yilias Last thing, if you're interested in Maths and Programming look into complexity and algorithms. Fascinating subject.

I'm well aware of them and they're certainly great :). The majority of industrial engineering is logistics and algorithms.

The best kind of puzzles are the ones that center around "What is the most efficient way to do X?". That's why I enjoy SCII so much, every build is a different solution to that X, and there is frequently more than one viable answer.

Urgh, lost to a goddamn 5 pool on Taldarim because I didn't get the wall placement right. :(
    Gggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• KambingKambing Registered User regular
    Streaming teams with the migs. More people log on = bigger teams.

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    All of my first year of university was in Java, so I sort of know how to use it, but I don't really to, although I think that's just because I never really got to do anything interesting, and I think swing is the worst possible way to do UI design ever.

I do intend to do some basic android dev stuff over the summer though, for which I will be using Java.

Most of my programming this year has been on embedded systems stuff, so I've learned C from scratch and my compilers and OS classes also heavily emphasised C. I really really like working in C, or maybe I just like working with much lower level functionality.

I also had a class on programming languages in general, for which I did a bit of Ada and Pascal for the concurrency sections, and Scheme and Haskell for the functional sections.

Programming is really fun, but I find it so incredibly daunting when there is such a MASSIVE world of languages and IDEs and frameworks and toolsets and everything else out there to use, and everyone seems to have a different opinion on which ones are good to use, and all I want to do is just get down to business and make stuff.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
    jaziek wrote: »
    Most of my programming this year has been on embedded systems stuff, so I've learned C from scratch and my compilers and OS classes also heavily emphasised C. I really really like working in C, or maybe I just like working with much lower level functionality.

hehe, if you like low level stuff maybe you should send me a CV.

All x86 assembly language all of the time, internet police ftw. :D

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

All of my Object Oriented/complexity modules in University left the language open ended (providing it satisfied a few requirements).

Well that sounds further along than I am in my degree, which doesn't move much past C

speaking of programming, did anything else come out of that neat little zerg build program besides the 7 roach rush?

TIFunkalicious on
This discussion has been closed.