As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 05/02/12 - One Superman is bad enough,

2»

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I had to decide between the Valiant preview and something fun (Donald Duck Family). I have no regrets.

How cool is the Mouse Guard hardcover, though? Archaia went all out on that one.

Crimsondude on
  • JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    The Archaia book is one of the best FCBD books I've seen. Beautifully put together and solid content inside.

I'm only sad that my shop didn't get the Atomic Robo one, but that's a small shop in a small town for you.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I picked up the Mouse guard one but I have not yet read it

Aw, man. The second store I went to had a whole stack of them. It'll be on Comixology within the week or so (it was last year), but yeah that sucks when you only have one small store.

I actually would have liked to visit the stores I never go to, even the one way on the other side of town, to see how each one was celebrating. I just didn't have time so I only hit up mine and the nearest one to it.

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Got the Mouse Guard hardcover along with Atomic Robo. I am really impressed by the production quality of MG, definitely stands out from everything else on the table. Primarily got it to give to a friend of mine who read Redwall and stuff like that when was a a kid, so I have been telling her she should check Mouse Guard out.

But yeah, I made the tour of all the local shops, including one I hadn't been to before (helluva a job they did hiding the place). They all seemed to have nice traffic (lucked out having FCBD Avengers premiere weekend), and it was fun seeing the parents and kids. The smaller shops outshone the big ones here by having other promotions/sales as part of the celebration, like 50% off TPBs and Marvel Masterworks, and having raffles/giveaways, etc. - bigger shops had their tables of freebies but otherwise didn't seem to be doing jack shit. It's a good thing I didn't get paid today like I was supposed to or I might have spent a dangerous amount of money on the 50% off trades in the hole-in-the-wall places. As it was I restricted myself to a couple of Red Hulk trades and the third volume of Queen & Country.

Gaslight on
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Brock just never gets to have a normal life does he?
    He doesn't deserve one.

Especially after gunning down Hybrid and Scream in cold blood. He's nothing but a psychopath now.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Gaslight wrote: »
    They all seemed to have nice traffic (lucked out having FCBD Avengers premiere weekend),

Isn't that intentional? I mean they almost always have a comic movie premiere during FCBD week.

On a related note, didnt get any FCBD stuff. they were COMPLETELY out by the time i got there. We have 2 good size comic shops in town. 1 in the same shopping center as the main theater (which was sold out of EVERY showing of Avengers today. I had to go to a late night show at another theater in the suburbs to even get a seat (and even they had sold out every prior showing all day).) and the other is right across the street. They got swamped all day.

oh, and since I didnt see anyone else mention it. I picked up the first issue of XO Manowar this week. Really liked it. Definitely cant wait to see what they do for the rest of the revived Valiant line.

Its kind of a slow start, but nice setup stuff for the series.

oh, and it uses a great opener to get you up to speed on the relevant history stuff.
    cn28O.jpg

and a couple other interesting bits.
    qJQJx.jpg
    QHJ6a.jpg
    *he saw
    them giving the XO armor to one of their warriors, and it rejecting and killing the warrior before going inert again.

Honestly never read the original series (Timewalker was about the only Valiant stuff I read), so Im not sure how it compares with the original story, but its good so far.

ManetherenWolf on
    So the fcbd book of X-O is just the first few pages of the actual comic? I might go see if it's still around when I got look for next weeks

I was talking about the full issue myself, but its a safe assumption.

*just checked a review of it.

The FCBD issue has previews for XO and Harbinger, along with teaser stuff for Bloodshot/Archer and Armstrong, some interviews, and it reveals what the 5th and 6th titles will be (Eternal Warrior in Winter 2012, Rai in Spring 2013).

Which Rai?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/05/03/valiant-to-publish-lee-bermejos-eternal-warrior-and-david-ajas-rai/

Got some pictures there. Including that there may be a link to Eternal Warrior in XO #1.

There was also a big spread image with those two teased... but I cant find a link to it.

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    The cool part about reading Defenders this week is that I'm also reading the Immortal Iron Fist trades and I just read the connecting annual.

Some very serendipitous timing.

That Rai looks awesome.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Re; mouse guard

I never got to see the hardcover, but several smaller portions of the book have been offered

The mouse guard section was printed with the dark crystal story

As far as I can tell, the mouse guard story is entirely reused art with new text :|

Well I read it and I will see if I can make some of the puppets they used for the story

Wait, puppets? My thing just had snippets from the fights with the crab, snake, and bird with new text. Maaaaan.

edited May 2012
    The Mouse Guard story (there are others from different series) is, in the story, being told through marionettes.
    1581c7b.jpg

Sorry for the crappy photo, but I just wanted to give you a quick idea.

Crimsondude on
    Dammit

That is not what I got

• JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Dammit

That is not what I got

Is the one you got softcover and wider than most comics? It sounds like you're describing last year's Mouse Guard FCBD book.

osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
    What did you get?
    It was a small hard cover book it looked very out of place when compared to the rest

JyrenB wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Dammit

That is not what I got

Is the one you got softcover and wider than most comics? It sounds like you're describing last year's Mouse Guard FCBD book.

Yuuuuuup :|

edited May 2012
    They all seemed to have nice traffic (lucked out having FCBD Avengers premiere weekend),

Isn't that intentional? I mean they almost always have a comic movie premiere during FCBD week.

Eh. Yeah, but FCBD 2011 was two days before Thor came out. And Avengers is by all appearances on a whole different level in terms of popularity. They are saying it could set the new record for opening weekend box office gross, aren't they?

And I don't recall a movie aligning with FCBD in 2010 (which was in June rather than May). I could be wrong, though.

Gaslight on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

And I don't recall a movie aligning with FCBD in 2010 (which was in June rather than May). I could be wrong, though.

Well, it was a around the same time as Marmaduke - I'm sure there have been some Marmaduke books and just strips at some point :D. Beyond that, FCBD 2010 was about a month after Iron Man 2 and a few weeks before Jonah Hex.

Hensler on
    Hensler wrote: »

Well, it was a around the same time as Marmaduke - I'm sure there have been some Marmaduke books and just strips at some point :D. Beyond that, FCBD 2010 was about a month after Iron Man 2 and a few weeks before Jonah Hex.

Ah yes.

HOW COULD I FORGET JONAH HEX.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular

HOW COULD I FORGET JONAH HEX.

Don't worry, I'll make sure that you no one can ever forget Jonah Hex.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    XO-Manowar's reboot issue #1 was really cool this week. I like the art a lot, it's simple but very nice.

Also I got The Hypernaturals FCBD issue, so glad to see DnA get a chance to do cosmic supers again, and with their own characters and ideas no less! Definitely going to be picking that up regularly.