As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Comic Book Questions Thread International. Of America.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    honestly, I would be interested in seeing well done recoloring of Kirby art

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    i just want the fourth world omnibi back in print because like a dummy i did not buy them

7656367.jpg
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Stupidity.

It's just like the crap color job they did on Batman Year One. In fact, the only improvement I can ever recall is Absolute Sandman. Apparently they've even managed to screw that up since then.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    honestly, I would be interested in seeing well done recoloring of Kirby art

I think stuff like Dean White's recoloring of Jack Kirby's stuff, is kind of cool. It's keeping the shapes and energy of Kirby's stuff, but making something new with it.
    2SwxR.png

I'd really like to see something like this done, with no alterations to Kirby's line-art, though.

On the other hand, there's stuff like this, where I don't really even see the point.
    GkiH0.jpg

It doesn't feel like something cool and new. It just looks like old art, sanitized through the use of some pretty weak modern coloring techniques.

The lime-green Galactus head in the lower left becomes a normal, boring Galactus. His transparent horns, which set him firmly in the foreground by overlapping Thor in the old version, suddenly become lost in Thor's leg, in the modern interpretation.

It just looks boring.

Ultimately, it just comes down to the colorist. They're an artist like any other, and the good ones can put their own spin on some old art, while the bad ones will just try to stay in the lines.

I do think it's cool to see certain artists, colored in a way they're typically not. Like, Mignola's work always has those flat, Dave Stewart colors on them. Stewart's a great colorist, but sometimes it's fun to see someone color Mignola with a fully-rendered, three-dimensional style. It gives an entirely different tone and texture to his stuff.

Munch on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I actually really like White's work with the Uncanny MM paperback covers. I wouldn't want the whole book redone that way, but as tribute pieces for the cover of the collections? Sure. I wish they'd do a better job recoloring the actual books, though. They look so...computerized and lifeless. I think I'm collecting them solely because of the cover art, because I really can't bring myself to actually crack them open and look at what's inside.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    http://imprint.printmag.com/books/you-can’t-judge-kirby-by-his-covers/

thought this was an interesting take on covers and reillustrations

Munch wrote: »
    I do think it's cool to see certain artists, colored in a way they're typically not. Like, Mignola's work always has those flat, Dave Stewart colors on them. Stewart's a great colorist, but sometimes it's fun to see someone color Mignola with a fully-rendered, three-dimensional style. It gives an entirely different tone and texture to his stuff.
    Well, my biggest gripe specifically is that the new colorists can't keep their goddamn hands off the Gradients in Photoshop.

Speaking of X-Men #1, http://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/product.php?productid=33925&cat=0&page=1

Sign that Marvel is just going to make this regular practice for the series?

steam_sig.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Those Jim Lee re-colourings are, for me, preferable to the originals

which is not to say that they should be re-coloured

just that they look better

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    Speaking of X-Men #1, http://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/product.php?productid=33925&cat=0&page=1

Sign that Marvel is just going to make this regular practice for the series?

I think outside of the Jim Lee X-Men vol. 2 Omnibi (that ironically doesn't have much Jim Lee in the first volume!), Marvel never collected the other 4 issues he drew of the series before he left. So I think that's just a one off thing to test the waters.

• cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    If I were to read a Star Wars trade, where do folks recommend I start? I want good writing over pizzazz.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    that was a good series... i think the last i read was when it had some tie in event between that, legacies and whatever the one that takes place in movie time that was running during it

edited May 2012
    Has anyone ever purchased from these guys? Thoughts on the experience?

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
    Yes. It was fine, but I wished that you could do more than just preorders. Or maybe I just never figured that out.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    So, I'm not sure if this is exactly the right thread to ask this in, but I'm interested in getting into the new Marvel comics.

Where would be a good place to start?

I'm interested in Avengers vs. X-men so anything that would be a good lead into that would be cool.

Also whatever the best stuff feature Spiderman or the Hulk happens to be.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    So, I'm not sure if this is exactly the right thread to ask this in, but I'm interested in getting into the new Marvel comics.

I'm interested in Avengers vs. X-men so anything that would be a good lead into that would be cool.

Well for Spider-Man you can start with issue 682 (which is the start of the Ends of The Earth storyline, great jumping on point), recently just relaunched so you could either start from Issue 1 (just had issue 7), or wait for the Point one issue of that coming out this month.

As for the Avengers vs. X-Men stuff, you might be better just reading that until it finishes because there will be a boat load of creative team changes (though Wolverine and the X-Men is reallly good!)

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    edited May 2012
    Winky wrote: »

This is definitely the right place to ask that!

Now, AvX #0 is pretty much all you need to get into Avengers vs. X-Men, but you could also pick up Point One, which was a comic that has a sort of prologue to the conflict of AvX, along with some other Marvel story arcs that are going on this year.

With Spider-Man, definitely Amazing Spider-Man #682 is a good jumping on point for the current story arc.

As far as the Hulk, his solo series right now is pretty crazy. You'd be best to start with Incredible Hulk #1, which only came out last December, so catching up won't take long.

Centipede Damascus on
    If I wanted to get into Moon Knight and Silver Surfer, where should I start?

steam_sig.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I got AvsX #1 and obviously the story picks up somewhere? as I know who most of the characters are but what happened? I have no idea why Wolverine has a school and Magneto is hanging around with Cyclops and much more
    last time I read Xmen it was 1999 and I never really got into avengers

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    If I wanted to get into Moon Knight and Silver Surfer, where should I start?

With Moon Knight, I'd start with the Charlie Huston series from a few years ago, which is fantastic and leads into the even better Vengeance of the Moon Knight series by Gregg Hurwitz. The Huston series lasted 20 or so issues, and then the Hurwitz one was 10 issues. The most recent series is Moon Knight by Bendis and Maleev, but I wouldn't really recommend it - it's not nearly as good as those other two. Moon Knight's also been pretty awesome in the Secret Avengers series.

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I got AvsX #1 and obviously the story picks up somewhere? as I know who most of the characters are but what happened? I have no idea why Wolverine has a school and Magneto is hanging around with Cyclops and much more
    last time I read Xmen it was 1999 and I never really got into avengers

Go back and start with Uncanny X-Men #1 and Wolverine and the X-Men #1. They're the two tent pole titles.

huntresssig.jpg
  • NabobNabob Registered User regular
    Hulk always seemed pretty uninteresting to me, so I've never read any of it. However, he was so very badass in the Avengers movie that I am now interested, what are some good Hulk trades?

3DS Friend Code: 3325-2367-6821
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    If you want the original Bruce Banner Hulk, Greg Pak's Planet Hulk is the place to start.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Jeff Parker's Red Hulk is flippin' sweet, though.

Gaslight on
    Nabob wrote: »
    Hulk always seemed pretty uninteresting to me, so I've never read any of it. However, he was so very badass in the Avengers movie that I am now interested, what are some good Hulk trades?

Greg Pak has written some of the best modern Hulk stories with Planet Hulk and World War Hulk. If you like those, his run continued with Incredible Hulk: Son of Banner and Fall of the Hulks

Back in the 90s, Peter David had a legendary run on Hulk that you could start with Incredible Hulk Visionaries: Peter David (vol.1)

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Another vote for Planet Hulk, it's my favorite Hulk story, and damn near my favorite comic of all time.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    hulk has been the best written character in marvel since the 80's

from mantlo to david to pak

7656367.jpg
    is the Bruce Jones stuff any good? I've not read any of it.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

Nope you're wrong. Daredevil has been written better.

Bruce Jones disqualifes Hulk

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »

Daredevil has been great most of the time, but there have been significant longer dips in quality. I'd say Hulk has been better consistently.

SHADOWLANDS

7656367.jpg
    edited May 2012
    also the bruce jones run isn't terrible and had rad as balls covers
    is the Bruce Jones stuff any good? I've not read any of it.

it's not bad

it's just all about bruce banner with little hulk

it just isn't fantastic

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular

SHADOWLANDS

Never happened. Diggle just wrote some horrible fanfiction and Marvel published it completely by accident.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Daredevil has had some fantastic runs but hasn't maintained the quality of Hulk

with the exception of Jones Hulk has been nonstop quality for decades

CYpGAPn.png
    I would say adjectiveless X-Men (the 90's one) has had the most consistent quality at Marvel. Nicieza is always a good writer, Lee's early stuff was good, Mark Waid and Lobdell carried it during Onslaught, Joe Kelly's run was good, Alan Davis did well, Morrison created the definitive run, and Carey wrote the book well for 7 years.

The only downside in the whole series really was Peter Milligan's 12 or so issues. Even Austen's run on the title was good and nowhere near his Uncanny stuff.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Morrison did new x-men though

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    New X-Men was for the most part quality through and through, and introduced a lot of characters and ideas that some cool things which I like have been done with since.

I can't say that I enjoyed it, though. And fuck Quentin Quire, fuck him so hard.

Gaslight on
    Antimatter wrote: »

The numbering stayed the same! (it's actually the only title Marvel's had that has never done renumbering, how about that?)

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »

The numbering stayed the same! (it's actually the only title Marvel's had that has never done renumbering, how about that?)
    You mean adjectiveless X-Men

the same title that relaunched with a new number one a few years ago

CYpGAPn.png