As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HULK SMASH PUNY BOX OFFICE RECORDS!

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    You know it'll be delicious

I am approximately 500ks from the closest kebab shop

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    That is not acceptable

I'll fucking air drop one to you if I have to.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Operation Aioli Drop

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    I really feel like getting the absurd Souvlaki (another word for essentially the same thing) with Chips and Mustard in it.

It is ridiculous and delicious.

ridiculicious.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Looks like the weekend's box office is estimated at $200.3 million right now.

The previous biggest opening ever was harry potter 7.5 with $169 million.

Wow.

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    The Avengers are beating Harry Potter?

Well, stands to reason, Hulk alone would beat up everyone in the WAIT NO WHAT AM I DOING

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Edcrab wrote: »
    The Avengers are beating Harry Potter?

Well, stands to reason, Hulk alone would beat up everyone in the WAIT NO WHAT AM I DOING

I have dumbledore's army.

We have a Hulk.

Etc

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Why would the Avengers fight Harry Potter?

Harry is a decent young man.

Now Voldemort would be a pretty juicy fight.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    It'll be a pathetic fight. Thor and Hulk would smash puny snake man, magic or no magic.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    200 dang million weekend

Apparently it's made 641 mill worldwide already
    More than any of the previous MCU movies made total

This baby's gonna shatter a billion!

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    Largest domestic opening of all time

Thread renamed to HULK SMASH PUNY BOX OFFICE

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    good lord

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    It'll be a pathetic fight. Thor and Hulk would smash puny snake man, magic or no magic.

... Puny wizard

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    hulk smash brony

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Has any movie broken 750Mil / 1 billion just figuring in theater revenue?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    It's going to be interesting when Dark Knight Rises comes out since it won't have 3D to help inflate its box office.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I am more than confident in predicting that The Avengers is going to be an overall-better-recieved movie than Dark Knight Rises.

But then I think the first Iron Man movie is a better film than any Batman movie ever made, not that I don't love Batman.

I'm also looking up shawarma places here in Atlanta and my favorite gyro place apparently also does schawarma! Right-on!

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    this is going to be like all those people who bought clownfish after watching finding nemo

except with shawarma

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I am more than confident in predicting that The Avengers is going to be an overall-better-recieved movie than Dark Knight Rises.

But then I think the first Iron Man movie is a better film than any Batman movie ever made, not that I don't love Batman.

I'm also looking up shawarma places here in Atlanta and my favorite gyro place apparently also does schawarma! Right-on!

Just a ton of people in this thread that are out of their goddamn minds.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Adam West Batman is better than Iron Man, it's true

• Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    Angry wrote: »
    Ok so after seeing this again in the credits scene I noticed
    That the Grey guy hanging with Thanos spoke of humans like he never met them before which buries my admittedly super out there theory about him.

But he defiantly isn't a Chituari. He has a human mouth.

He doesn' however share the Skrull/Slash Thanos chin.

Which leads me to believe he is either a Skrull, perhaps the last of his kind with all others transformed into the cyborg living weapon Chituari or they are changing how the Eternals look and he is another Eternal.
    I don't think you know what the eternals are?

And he definitely doesn't have a human face. Plus there's he whole 6 fingers thing
    I'm not saying he is human. I'm saying he doesn't have the lipless dog head thing the Chitauri do.

I know the Eternals are Thanos's race. He and Thanos share a unique chin.
    I really don't think they're going to try and put the uranos eternals in any sort of story. In fact I don't even know what what the current continuity even is with the eternals after gaimans mini.

Regardless, simply making thanos an eternal without the uranos caveat and cutting out any chance of a proper eternal story seems unlikely

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    That the Grey guy hanging with Thanos spoke of humans like he never met them before which buries my admittedly super out there theory about him.

Which leads me to believe he is either a Skrull, perhaps the last of his kind with all others transformed into the cyborg living weapon Chituari or they are changing how the Eternals look and he is another Eternal.

And he definitely doesn't have a human face. Plus there's he whole 6 fingers thing
    I'm not saying he is human. I'm saying he doesn't have the lipless dog head thing the Chitauri do.

I really don't think they're going to try and put the uranos eternals in any sort of story. In fact I don't even know what what the current continuity even is with the eternals after gaimans mini.

Regardless, simply making thanos an eternal without the uranos caveat and cutting out any chance of a proper eternal story seems unlikely
    the Eternals were recently in a Thor run, and Sersi has been showing up in one of the other team books.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Iron Man was a super fun movie.

When someone tries to do a "fun" batman movie you get Batman and Robin.

• Options
    Beasteh wrote: »
    this is going to be like all those people who bought clownfish after watching finding nemo

except with shawarma

Oh absolutely. It's actually kinda hilarious.

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »

except with shawarma

All those poor little shawarmas

Flushed down the toilet by children thinking they're freeing them

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    dang can't believe emh just did a dang korvac saga episode

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    well between hawkeye and the hunger games

I imagine archery instructors are gonna do pretty well this summer

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular

still got brave coming out too

gotta hook the young ones

• Options

Pixar's Brave hits pretty soon too!

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

if only someone could make a movie that was like a live action episode of Brave and the Bold

• Options
    ffaristocratffaristocrat Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

if only someone could make a movie that was like a live action episode of Brave and the Bold

Those Old Spice "I'm on a horse" commercials are the closest thing I can think of that compares to the sheer ridiculousness of Brave and the Bold.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

But keep in mind that
    other Eternals don't look like Thanos, they look human
    Thanos was born with a mutation that makes him look like a Deviant
    If The Other is anything from the comics he's probably a Deviant

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    The story may have been relatively simple, but it's still a story!

Also, would a person with gravity powers be able to lift Mjolnir?

Technically, yes!

In "Thor and the Warriors 4", which is admittedly an alternate universe, a version of Alex Power is deemed worthy of Mjolnir.

Which means he's probably killed some dudes off panel some time. Everybody knows you got to be willing to kill dudes to wield Mjolnir. It's why Superman could only lift it once in an emergency.

(Also, in Marvel Vs. DC, Wonder Woman lifted it, but nothing came of it because voters went with Storm in a fight, narrowly beating Lobo V. Wolverine as the most bullshit match on the fight card.)

...What?

Riiight. Not everyone's read the Simonson interview stuff on his reasoning for Beta Ray Bill.

Basically, Worthy doesn't just mean "good" or "heroic". Means that on top, of course, but this is the hammer of a Norse god, and those guys? All about the wrecking of faces. You have to be honest and forthright and all that. Sure. But also you need to be the kind of guy who'd get into Valhalla. Warrior's death.

Simonson didn't think Cap would qualify when writing the issue since Cap's flying the American flag. Meaning he'd be working for someone who isn't Odin and Asgard and publicizing it. Interesting enough, Cap first lifted the hammer when he was just The Captain. So no flag, no America, main problem gone.

I don't know that I like either of these ideas
    I think "worthy" should mean a lot of things and shouldn't necessarily restrict people who don't kill and people who are not specifically sworn to Asgard

Worthy warrior is the key phrase. Vikings kill people. To be worthy of the hammer, you have to be a warrior, not a protector. The hammer is a killing weapon. That's the whole point.

It's why cap is worthy, and superman shouldn't be.

(I use superman as an example because he has wielded the hammer, and simonson thought it was a bad call. It still made a great image, though. )

But "worthy warrior" isn't the phrase
    The phrase is just "if he be worthy"

I recognize what Simonson wanted to do with that framework but the actual wording of the enchantment leaves a lot of open ends and thus I don't like the way he has characterized it

Well I mean, you need to take into account the culture the enchantment was made in, that's why I was talking about worthy warriors, because that's what the enchantment means.

It doesn't mean "if you want to pick up this hammer to do some light gardening"

Norse culture revolves around heroic deeds, it's a warrior ethos. They think that killing your enemies is a virtue. So, I don't see a way around that, seeing as how their gods made the magic hammer. It's a killing weapon, and to be a worthy norse warrior is to be willing to kill your enemy.

But in the Thor film Odin specifically also mentions Mjolnir's usefulness "as a tool to build" which would imply to me that equal value may be placed on creation/protection/defense as "worthy" virtues

And yes I did just realize that I brought up the movie incarnation and you're talking about the comics

• Options
    CyrondinCyrondin I bring the sick beats on you, brother Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I too like iron man more then dark Knight. I feel rdj is a better lead.then bale was during tdk.

Cyrondin on
  • Options
    Iron Man and The Dark Knight are two very different films with different aims and approaches and it's kind of a faulty comparison

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Iron Man and The Dark Knight are two very different films with different aims and approaches and it's kind of a faulty comparison

yes, because the dark knight is so bad

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I don't care much for Bale's Batman, every other actor in that movie overshadowed him

RDJ nails Tony Stark

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    Hey maybe we can have the batman voice argument I the avengers thread too

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    this is the HULK SMASH thread

I guess he invited some friends to join on the smashing too? whatever

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Hey maybe we can have the batman voice argument I the avengers thread too

there's no argument to be had it sucks

xmassig2.gif
This discussion has been closed.