As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Questions, Discussion, Tutorials

• Tidus53Tidus53 Registered User regular
    Flay wrote: »
    I found a really useful resource for animation references, hundreds of movement cycles by Muybridge

http://sillydragon.com/muybridge/Muybridge_List.html

Hey Flay I had a question about drawing legs using the Hogarth figure drawing method. Every time I try to draw legs with the torso I get lost. Lately what I've been trying is drawing the box that is the groin and waist than draw a straight line, find the middle of it and draw up so I can make it an isosceles triangle, than make a B where the knee is where the two curves meet. How exactly does it work?

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php

Someone add this to the OP?

It's fucking awesome for a gesture tool.

It cycles through photos of men/women, nude/clothed, and lets you set a time limit as to how long you want to spend per photo. (there are also timed lessons, set up like studio's with breaks thrown in, as well as animal photos with the same type of time parameters, though I haven't tried any of those yet)

ninjai on
  • squaresquare Cockbutt TurinRegistered User regular
    ninjai wrote: »
    http://www.pixelovely.com/gesture/figuredrawing.php

Someone add this to the OP?

It's fucking awesome for a gesture tool.

Holy funk!
    Now I have something to work with.
    Thanks for sharing dude!

Mm9Qsm4.png
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Tidus53 wrote: »
    Hey Flay I had a question about drawing legs using the Hogarth figure drawing method. Every time I try to draw legs with the torso I get lost. Lately what I've been trying is drawing the box that is the groin and waist than draw a straight line, find the middle of it and draw up so I can make it an isosceles triangle, than make a B where the knee is where the two curves meet. How exactly does it work?

I'm having a hard time visualising what you mean, post a picture? I don't really know much about anatomy, but I'm sure someone else here will be able to give you some pointers.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I know AC seems to primarily deal with various forms of drawing, but it has been suggested to me (and the stickies seem to agree) that you will also provide critique for other forms of art, such as writing.

I guess what I was trying to work out is whether it's more appropriate to make a thread for feedback and critique of my writing here or in WB, as I couldn't really see a rules or guidelines thread over there.

So far I have one piece of relatively self contained writing (a touch over 1500 words), intended as a prologue to a longer piece that I am working on, and the feedback from my close friends has been pretty positive, but I am painfully aware that they might be humouring me in a way that people on the forum would typically not do.

If anyone knows where I should consider posting this (or if I should wait until I have more material to post at once, or whatever other factors I'm forgetting) I would appreciate the help.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think the Writers Block is actually the place to g., I dont know where their rules thread went, but you can ask in their chat thread. I dont think many of us in this pool would consider ourselves writers.

Yeah writers block is a pretty damn good forum for anyone looking for writing feedback, technical or artistic. They're pretty bamf over thurr.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Thanks guys, went and asked them they said they were happy to take it and mock my efforts, so it is done. :^:

• CompTopGamesCompTopGames CTGJon Providence, RIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hi everyone! Below is an offer for a paid artwork gig (posted in this thread per the forum rules).

I am looking to commission some concept artwork for a gaming project myself and a my small team of programmers is working on.The artwork would be paid per piece.

We will pay $50-$75 per piece with 50% up front and 50% paid upon completion. (this is most certainly up for negotiation and we would be willing to pay more if we feel your style/portfolio makes us go "...whoa."

The game is a turn based strategy game based in a 100% original SciFi universe. For more info, please follow the link in my signature.

If you would be interested in this project, please contact me here.

Thanks!
    -Jon
    Computer Top Games

CompTopGames on
    Second Contact: Turn-based social gaming.
    http://computertopgames.blogspot.com/
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    @comptopgames

Some sort of details and basics of the actual commissions you are wanting is usually the starting point for an art commission. Along with details of what you are planning to pay up front versus what you will pay in total upon completion of the commission.

I'm not an artist you would be hiring for this sort of thing, but I did spend almost eight years in commission based project industries. If you don't detail compensation in your add you probably won't get any offers worth taking from quality artists.

• CompTopGamesCompTopGames CTGJon Providence, RIRegistered User regular
    Enc, thanks for the help. I have updated my post with the information you suggested!

Second Contact: Turn-based social gaming.
    http://computertopgames.blogspot.com/
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    I've heard from others that it's a good idea for a concept artist to be well versed in 3d art as well. I was wondering if you guys had any insight on how much I should try to learn and what sort of things I should create for my portfolio?

I feel like I need to at least know how to model correctly and faster. Then learn how to texture, because I have yet to try that. As for what to include in my portfolio: A couple simple props (Crate, barrel, etc), a character or two, and maybe a creature or building?

Am I working in the right direction here?

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Okay, I didn't see anything in the OP to this thread so I thought I'd ask.

I basically missed "Art 101" which explains a lot of my shortcomings and general lack of knowledge with some techniques and terms.

I tried painting something (acrylic on canvas) and while it came out pretty horrible, I fell in love with the process. Since the materials are pretty cheap and I've already got a lot of brushes (they're my wife's, but we share) I REALLY want to paint more this summer.

I want to like start from scratch, using the small little 1x1 canvases and doing fruit and still life and stuff and move up to environments and who knows what.

Can anyone recommend some good youtube training classes? I've found a LOT of stuff out there, but it's very, very mixed and I'd like to kind of lay out an actual course for this summer, doing 1 painting a week or like three hours on the weekend just practicing and getting better, but I want a little guidance, and I don't want to start off trying to paint the empire state building at sunset.

Thanks!

are YOU on the beer list?
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Amateurhour - I would recommend finding a class at a local college. I've had more success learning from a 4-week course than I've had from Youtube vids, but that's just me.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    NibCrom wrote: »
    Amateurhour - I would recommend finding a class at a local college. I've had more success learning from a 4-week course than I've had from Youtube vids, but that's just me.

Agreed, very much agreed, but I don't have the time or money investment for that right now.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    I hear ya.

• RaharlRaharl Registered User regular

I'm trying to find a post (perhaps it was another site). In which the artist starts as a beginner, but by the end of the post, which is over a 100 pages long, he's quite good.

Why? In short I'm looking for some inspiration for my own work.

If you guys know of anything like that, please point me that way.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    MindCandyMan's Thread at ConceptArt.org might be what you're looking for.

• RaharlRaharl Registered User regular
    that's it.

Thanks a ton.

Hopefully this will get me working again.

edited May 2012
    The technique used here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=201403

Could anyone explain how to actually use the shapes easily, after you create some?

Edit: OK I figured it out finally! There is a custom shape tool (new to me) and after creating a few shapes, I can just click and drag to add them in different ways. Then you can flip some, and make adjustments!

F87 on
  • sartorisartori WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    nm!

sartori on
  • laurieberlaurieber Illustrator @Paradux Comics Registered User new member
    Thank you everyone for posting these resources. As a beginning comic artist, it is much appreciated.

Anyway, I just started an online comic at paradux-comics.com and would love to hear any feedback!!! You can also email me at laurie@paradux-comics.com.

Also what type and brand pens would you suggest? I've been using faber-castell and micron.

Illustrator @Paradux Comics
    http://www.paradux-comics.com

"Follow your bliss." - Joseph Campbell
    edited May 2012
    I've this issue recurring every time I save some work on photoshop.
    My saved document is darker, or more intense (I don't really know), than my actual project in photoshop.
    I've tried to save for web/devices, to change the profile, to use a different color scheme, but I always get a darker saved document.
    Colors are not a problem (they are just more vibrant) but grayscale tones are messed up BADLY (dark gray is actually pitch black)

How to solve this? (I searched for a solution on google but nothing worked for me)

square on
    Mm9Qsm4.png
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Are your greyscale artworks set as a Greyscale image when you're saving them for the web?

If they are, I've found that switching them to RGB (Image>Mode>RGB Color) before saving can solve the darkening problem.

If not, you can always try playing with your Levels (Layers>New Adjustment Layer>Levels make sure that this is the top layer) before saving to try to compensate for the darkness.

The same can be done if you're not happy with the extra little bit of saturation in your colours. (Layers>New Adjustment Layer>Hue/Saturation)

ChicoBlue on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Square, what format are you saving to?

Square, what format are you saving to?

.jpg and .png (only when I have some transparency to keep)

Mm9Qsm4.png
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    I always save in rgb except when I'm printing. Maybe you have photoshop set to Cmyk or something instead of rgb.

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    If you're using Save For Web try unchecking "Convert to sRGB".

If none of these suggestions help you might need to review your color settings. (Shift+Ctrl+K)

header_image_sm.jpg
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    It also might be that windows (or mac I suppose) has created an ICC color profile that photoshop is then overriding with it's own color profile. I know this can happen because its happened to me.

If I remember correctly, my solution was just deleting window's color profile.

squidbunny wrote: »
    If none of these suggestions help you might need to review your color settings. (Shift+Ctrl+K)

This worked for me.
    I've disabled every profile (even for CMYK) now it preserves the colors as they are in my document.

Thank you everyone :)

Mm9Qsm4.png
  • NicNic Registered User regular
    Anyone here know what paper would be best for non photo blue pencils? I've tried in my sketchbooks and I have to press incredibly hard to even make a mark on the page. I get that that's why scanners don't pick up the colour, but it kind of defeats the purpose of sketching when I have to come just short of tearing the paper just to leave a mark on the page. I'm using the prismacolor one, perhaps there's a better one out there?

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Are you using the Verithin one, or the Col-Erase one? Those are both ridiculously hard. The regular non-erasable Prismacolor nonphoto is a fairly ridiculously soft-leaded pencil, really.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • NicNic Registered User regular
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's col-erase because it has an eraser, and that would explain it. Thanks!

• Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    I use nonphoto blue and red lead in. 05 mechanical lead form. They're HB hardness and work pretty well on most surfaces.

I find the wood pencil form harder to use.

Instagram: fadedsneakers
  • HotandnerdyHotandnerdy Hot and Nerdy Kansas CityRegistered User regular
    ninjai wrote: »
    Yeah writers block is a pretty damn good forum for anyone looking for writing feedback, technical or artistic. They're pretty bamf over thurr.

One of my favorite sites for review. They make me such a better writer. :P

girl.jpg
    Does anyone know some sites I can visit to find illustration work?

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Okay, I've decided to learn how to paint with real paint.
    What basic supplies will I need to start with?
    What would be the best paint medium to start with when I've got an eye to paint with oils?
    Should I kick off with oils, or try something less threatening?
    Also is there a colour palette you recommend so I can ease myself into it without making a giant fucking mess of things?

I demand answer to all of these things within the next 4 hours or I'm going to write a lengthy post about what massive jerks you all are!

Mustang on
    Mustang wrote: »
    Okay, I've decided to learn how to paint with real paint.
    What basic supplies will I need to start with?
    What would be the best paint medium to start with when I've got an eye to paint with oils?
    Should I kick off with oils, or try something less threatening?
    Also is there a colour palette you recommend so I can ease myself into it without making a giant fucking mess of things?

I demand answer to all of these things within the next 4 hours or I'm going to write a lengthy post about what massive jerks you all are!

I'd think about getting Brush, paint, and canvas. Maybe :P

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Id say start with acrilic paint, its easier to use than oil, and a lot less messy. According to my art teachers, it is best to just get the 3 basic colurs, black and white, instead of buying many diferent colours. Aside from the paint itself and brushes, you would need a place to mix the paint, a spatula, pieces of cloth, and some stuff that makes acrylic dry slower, wich sometimes looks like white glue, but I have no idea how you call it in english.

Instead of canvas, you can start with some prepared boards that have canvas sticked to them, easier to handle than the stereotypical canvas.

if you go for oil, Id say turpentine, or that solvent stuff to wich I also dont know the english name, and linum oil ? (Aceite de lino).

And get ready to get kicked out of your house for leaving paint marks everywhere.

Supposedly its very important to get the paint to have the right consistency before applying it to the canvas, but I wouldnt know how to explain that in text. If you have done any prints, then you should understand the importance of getting the right consistency, for me, the right point, is when you look at the paint, and it makes you want to eat it. But dont eat the paint.

Edit: also, keep your brushes clean as soon as you finish a painting session, you can clean them with different stuff depending of the medium you use, clearly you cant use water if you use oil paint, and paint thinner to wash acrylic may work, but its excesive, if you want your hands to look human, use gloves when cleaning with strong liquids like thinner, use the cloth to take the excesive paint from the brushes before cleaning them. And, the best advice I ever got was: "Never smell a bottle or flask when you open it, keep the place with fresh air, because the fumes will give you serious headaches." About the colour palette, that would probably depend on what you paint, "chromatic grays" is a nice palette, its like diferent tones of dirt, and lets you mix all basic colours plus black and white, wich is a good excercise, but the colours do look a bit like, literal shit.

FANTOMAS on
    Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I use nonphoto blue and red lead in. 05 mechanical lead form. They're HB hardness and work pretty well on most surfaces.

I find the wood pencil form harder to use.

wait those things exist in mechanical form?! For some reason that excites me.

Anyway the reason I came here, since I've been at school I've been using a small bamboo because of the portability factor. At some point, I don't know if it was from a new install of windows 7, photoshop CS5 or wacom drivers, the pressure sensitivity quit functioning (at least as a default). After not using it for a while a digital illustration project came up so I went home and brought my larger intuos4 back to school, installed the drivers for that and discovered the same problem.

So now I feel like I can rule out the tablets themselves as being the problem. That just leaves the most likely: settings in wacom utility or PS CS5, or the unlikely but possible: something in windows 7.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about fixing this?