As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Beauty is the promise of happiness [makeup, skincare, fashion] ONLY COOL BOYS ALLOWED

• bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Thanks guys. We're hoping he can go home tomorrow and we'll be doing home care/hospice.

• LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    Aw man, floating some well-wishes your way, bowtied! :c
    Erics wrote: »
    Have any of you guys ever tried SK-II's products? They're insanely popular here but, I hear, also quite a bit more expensive.

Paging @Lexxy

She was using one that she really liked.

Not was, is! I can't speak on their products at length, though, since all I've tried so far is their Facial Treatment Essence. It's the most basic and most highly recommended of their products, since it isn't skin type/condition specific. It's just their patented anti-aging ingredient in a super lightweight water-based "lotion."

A lot of customers call it their "holy water," and I don't know if I'd go that far, but I do feel like it has a rejuvenating and brightening effect on my skin. I initially used it twice a day, but I think it was bothering my skin a little so I cut back to once when I wash my face before bed and that seems to be the best use.

I'd really like to get one or two of their other products, especially one that's specifically used to brighten dark spots so I can tackle the shadows of past acne breakouts, but I'd rather not get anything else until I can actually go to an SK-II counter and get a consultation and there are none nearby...

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Bits, I'm really sorry about your grandfather. I'm glad you can be there with him and your grandmother, although no doubt that's cold comfort.
    In other news has anyone tried this lip sand stuff that Lush has? Because I can't stop eating the 'Mint Julips' flavor I bought. I feel like one of my students.

I have that stuff! It is delicious, but it kinda weirds me out to lick it off my lips after. And I always get it everywhere.

Same here! But it's so yummy!

And Lexxy, I use O'Hui's water-based facial essence for moisturizing and I love it, but my friend swears by SK-II so I was wondering how it compared! Is it a pretty uncommon brand over there?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    Yeah, they really only have counters for it here in the biggest cities.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    The only person that doesn't make me feel like I look like crap is Annie, people at work tend to tease me about my weight or wonder why I don't wear makeup to work. BLEH
    Giiiiiiiirl that BLOWS. Eff those bitches, seriously.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Thanks. It's so hard, he visited a few weeks ago and was his normal self!

Very many big huge hugs for you, lady. For reals.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    yeah once it warmed up it took all of two days in the sun to clear up blackheads. skin looks so much better after 6 months of living indoors.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    @bowtiedseal Oh I am so sorry, sending you many many hugs. :(

• bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    thanks, guys, you are all making me tear up : ) (in a good way!)

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I had to get my hair lopped off
    It looks awful

I want to cry but cant

You still look lovely, Anti. C'mere girl.

It just needs a little styling, maybe a little product to give it some volume/shape. I think you still look as pretty as ever. <3

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    It looks awful

I want to cry but cant

Why'd you have to get it cut off?

And why can't you cry?

JtgVX0H.png
    It looks awful

I want to cry but cant

Why'd you have to get it cut off?

And why can't you cry?

JtgVX0H.png
    My dad made me

And I don't know why I can't but tears aren't comin out

Well thats okay, no point forcing them. They'll probably come later, maybe you're just a little too upset to cry. Which is terrible and I'm sorry.

Yeah, that really sucks to hear.

JtgVX0H.png
    535400_230412047065339_100002896371665_357067_887894584_n.jpg
    ugh.

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    It'll be fine Anti. There are girls in this thread with shorter hair. You just need to figure out a way to style it that you like and that will make you feel better about this.

That's a terrible thing that he did though. I'm really sorry.

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    If you are really anxious to grow it out quickly though, look into collagen supplements. Supposed to help in that regard, at least it can't hurt. If you want faster cheering up, why not get it colored? A drastic change may not be advisable, but maybe you can go a little darker or get some highlights/lowlights put in. And while hair can get chopped off, dye can't be taken out except with bleach, I am assuming your dad would be at a loss. You could also get a consultation at a salon to help teach you how to style it. Maybe pick up some shine serums.

They opened up an Ulta nearby and were holding really great sales. I bought a Nyx blush for $3(almost a little too pigmented!) and the 10 Shadow Smokey Eyes kit for $10. I am pretty shitty at smokey eyes it turns out. And while I like the look right now, I can't help but feel like we will look back on this eyeshadow trend with ridicule in a decade or so, "Haha, what were people thinking?". Sort of like I remember hearing when smokey eyes first became popular, lots of people thought it looked like silly raccoon makeup.

• cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Anti you could probably shift the part to the side and it would look like a really nice asymmetrical short bob. Maybe even go a hair shorter in the back to make it curve toward your jawline... like parted over the outside edge of either your right or left iris or even further if you like it that way. I think with a little bit of styling perhaps you will find you don't hate it so much! And as somebody whose mom cut her hair into a poodle-curl mullet because "I'm sick of looking at your hair"... I know that feeling unfortunately.

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    535400_230412047065339_100002896371665_357067_887894584_n.jpg
    ugh.

layerdbobhaircut.jpg
    haydenround.jpg
    punkyhair.jpg
    chinlengthhairstylesthu.jpg
    katieholmeshair400a0730.jpg
    @antimatter
    add some attitude and maybe some product, and you can make lemonade outta this.

lfchwLd.jpg
    i appreciate it

but i have neither

Ooh I like those!

• JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    You could easily pull off the first and last ones Anti, especially the last one.

i dont know a damn thing about styling hair

oh wellllll just gonna wait for the hair to grow back

christ i miss feeling it on my shoulders

We can always help if you have questions, Anti. But I think a lot of it is learning as you go along!

• crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    punkyhair.jpg

i wish to know this girl

EzUAYcn.png
    edited May 2012
    i'm not always the best at practicing this, but here's a mantra for when something overwhelming occurs.

You can either own your pain, or let it own you.

i think you already know it, but having those little phrases can be helpful, i've found. so, give yourself a bit more time to regain some composure, then werk that shit. i think that first look would be suuuuuper good on you, and versatile.
    not to get all Oprah on you or act like a sage, but yeah. it's the same thing as smiling or laughing to make yourself feel better -- you may not feel happy when you start, but eventually, your actions will make it true.

so if your father's being a tough guy and trying to mold you into something you're not, do what you need to do in order to keep him from messing with you. but on your own time, when you go out or you go back to school, follow the example of innumerable high school girls -- sneak makeup and forbidden clothes, and look how you want. make time to be confident in who and what you are, or fake it until you feel it.

i know i get preachy sometimes, but it's because i care. i'd insert a goofy picture of myself to balance out all this sincerity, but you'll have to make do with a catpic.

dsc00816m.jpg

as far as styling makeup or hair or clothing -- like Liiya said, we will help any way we can -- none of us knew this stuff until we learned! ...i still have a lot i could learn.
    edit: to be more on-point, i think you could get the same effect as the first pic simply by changing your part. so, comb your hair so that it falls more on one side of your head instead of evenly in the middle. and instead of letting the hair near your forehead fall to the side, comb it towards your face, straight over your forehead.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
    crwth wrote: »
    pooka wrote: »
    punkyhair.jpg

i wish to know this girl
    i am sorry, crwth, but she is just a cute internet lady that i found in GIS. she might be a real person but :shrug:

lfchwLd.jpg
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    i'll find her

and marry her

EzUAYcn.png
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    yeah, try a side part, anti! I think you will do just fine that way

in fact, I am super jealous of anyone who can pull off a cute razor bob cut like that! I think it'll just take some getting used to especially if you prefer longer hair.

i used to look like this
    554106_212664202173457_100002896371665_322341_1114754953_n.jpg
    blugh.

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    i'll find her

and marry her

Tell me your secrets.

Also, Anti, it'll grow back.

Cherish that.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    it's summer again! think it's time to buzz my hair off again

it'd be cooler at work, for sure

if i'm feelin fancy i'll do a low and tight and do it a 0 on the sides and a 1 on top

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    i appreciate it

but i have neither

Product ain't hard. Go to your local shops (Target, Walgreens etc), see which brands you can easily get a hold of and note them down. Then go to makeupalley.com and go to Product Reviews and read reviews for different hair styling products by those brands. Find out which ones are any good and that you can afford. You've heard of gel, mousse, hairspray etc etc etc. You don't need to own everything since so many products all basically do the same things, except in different ways formulated for different hair-types. You'd probably be good with some hairspray, shine/frizz serum, and maybe some sort of styling product like a mousse. You probably already own a flat-brush and hair-comb but round-barrel combs are really useful for styling and super cheap, like $3. Blowdryers may not be in your purview right now, but get yo'self some bobby pins or sponge-rollers. Women have been styling their hair without heat since forever, wet-sets might be a good, more inconspicuous option for you. Wet-sets are hair-styling patterns that you sleep in styled via pins and/or rollers on often wet hair. You wake up, take out the pins and comb out the hair-sets. Remember about the highlights and lowlights.

also: PART YOUR HAIR TO THE SIDE

Really though, here's the thing: style takes practice. It really, really does. I think I can do my makeup well, but only because I've watched lots of youtube videos and have sat in front of the mirror and practiced, one look after another, removing the makeup and trying another look. I have ended up with some pretty gnarly looking eye-makeup. My roomy saw me trying out my new palette, "Aren't you wasting product?", to which I responded, "What's the point of having it if I don't know how to use it?". If you mess up on something, well duh. It comes with the territory. You just gotta forge ahead and keep trying and eventually you end up damn fine.

If you're still looking for retail therapy that you'd feel comfortable sporting publicly: nice smelling bodywashes, nail buffers for shiny nails (they are these 4-sided foam and emery blocks), clear mascara (Maybelline makes a nice inexpensive one), and tinted moisturizer (Covergirl's AquaSmoother's tinted moisturizer is real good) might all make you feel better.

Thank you

I bought shorts today, shorts! Shame I can't wear them here but I am excited to be buying shorts.

My legs glow like a beacon in the night with how pale they are.

If it was possible to graft the ends of hair together you could have mine. Mine is now about as long as yours was and I don't know what to do with it, it kind of overwhelms my face. I will probably cut it in a month or so, maybe donate it (I think it is currently an inch or so too short). The only reason I've let it grow so long even though I don't like how it looks on me is because I can hide behind my hair because braces and tics.

• GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Thank you

I think with your features as well you can definitely achieve a variation on these hairstyles

ways-to-style-short-hair-carey-mulligan-02.jpg
    1. Right when you get out of the shower, towel off your hair and mist with texturizing spray.
    2. Use a natural bristle brush while blow drying your hair, and curve your front layers in one direction.
    3. Rub some pomade between your fingers to warm it up, and piece out your ends.
    4. Arrange them messily over your forehead, and tuck the rest of your hair behind your ears.

ways-to-style-short-hair-michelle-williams-10.jpg
    1. Mist damp hair with volumizing spray and blow dry using a round brush to add volume.
    2. Now comb hair over to one side. (This might not stay put at first, but keep styling it this way to get the shape to stick.)
    3. Style your bangs over your forehead, and mist with a ton of hairspray like L'Oreal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray keep them in place.
    4. Tuck the rest of your hair behind your ears.

Hmmmmm

This discussion has been closed.