As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Handheld Gaming Thread! -Who Will Play the Ultimate Game?-

PSOCecilPSOCecil Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX West
I usually see one of these threads by now, but I haven't yet. So, I want to talk about it, so let's do it! I'll update this post with potential ideas, if folk have any. And... am I correct in assuming that most mobile games will be ignored? I hope I am.

General info/whatnot about handheld games, I think it's pretty much a given, walk around with your 3DS's wireless ON, that way you can streetpass folks, for their Mii, and any fun, hopefully not-obscene, Swapnotes. Also, no matter what device you end up using, as these things get more and more powerful, I can't stress enough, carry your charger with you. Having your 3DS die is a DISASTER. And run your 3DS in Power-Saving mode, other than slightly reduced coloring, I don't notice any difference, other than a slightly longer battery life.

DS!
Pokemon Black/White (Obviously)
Planet Puzzle League
Mario Kart DS (hopefully, people will move on to MK7..)
Tetris DS
LEGO Star Wars

3DS!
Mario Kart 7
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Star Fox 64 3D
Tetris Axis
Mario Tennis Open
Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary (Also DSi)

PSP!
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Valkyria Chronicles 2

Vita!
Mortal Kombat
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

zerzhul on

• cooltrainerwescooltrainerwes Registered User new member
    I'm pretty psyched to play some Pokemon black/white.. It'll be my first PAX, and i'm hoping to fit in a couple wifi battles with new teams i'm making and what not =D

• sarge1445sarge1445 Registered User regular
    PSOCecil wrote:
    I usually see one of these threads by now, but I haven't yet. So, I want to talk about it, so let's do it! I'll update this post with potential ideas, if folk have any. And... am I correct in assuming that most mobile games will be ignored? I hope I am.

General info/whatnot about handheld games, I think it's pretty much a given, walk around with your 3DS's wireless ON, that way you can streetpass folks, for their Mii, and any fun, hopefully not-obscene, Swapnotes. Also, no matter what device you end up using, as these things get more and more powerful, I can't stress enough, carry your charger with you. Having your 3DS die is a DISASTER. And run your 3DS in Power-Saving mode, other than slightly reduced coloring, I don't notice any difference, other than a slightly longer battery life.

DS!
    Planet Puzzle League
    Tetris DS

3DS!
    Mario Kart 7
    Star Fox 64 3D
    Tetris Axis
    Mario Tennis Open

PSP!
    Uh.... Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker?
    Maybe some Monster Hunter?

Vita!
    Let me think here... uh.. open to suggestion, here..

for vita marvelvs capcom and mortal kombat

I AM THE VAMPIRE
  • PSOCecilPSOCecil Registered User regular
    Edited, thanks!

• LegionnaireLegionnaire Registered User regular
    I just have to remember to actually bring my 3ds this year. Last year I facepalmed on the plane over when I realized I left it on the coffee table. Excited to play pokemon and maybe some dragon quest.

• shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Looks like it's time for me to pick up Pokemon Black/White for my DS. Also, I believe Valkyria Chronicles II has a skirmish mode, I'll definitely be bringing that for my PSP.

• zephusdragonzephusdragon Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I can't wait to get all your 3ds street pass tags suckas! ;) Hopefully by PAX I'll have more multiplayer 3ds games than Starfox 3d and Four Swords

zephusdragon on
    3-Day Pass [x]
    Hotel Booked [x]
    Drive Fiancee Batty over PAX [x][x][x]
  • Zoroark173Zoroark173 Registered User regular
    I have this one game for my DS that is really fun in multi-player mode, it's called Lego Star Wars 2; The Original Trilogy. It features 2 types of multi-player, Single-card and multi-card. IF everyone has a copy of the game, you can use multi-card, like in Mario Kart DS, and you can use characters you have unlocked for multi-player, but if you don't have the game card, like in Mario Kart, all people who don't have the game are stuck with the default guy. please add this to the DS list. :)

Alright, edited. But I think LEGO Star Wars is a tad old.. and if it's anything like the console games, doesn't it take 10+ minutes to finish a level?

It's nice to have my one event every year where I actually get Streetpasses. The only one I've gotten since last year's PAX was Reggie!

• mikegonzalezmikegonzalez Registered User regular
    I was hoping to see one of these threads soon. Buying a 3DS specifically for PAX, so I'm trying to figure out which games I need to get. It's going to be my first dual screen nintendo handheld, so I have a lot of catching up to do.

"I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."

XBL: ii Mike G ii - PSN: Greddy21 - Steam: notmikegonzalez - Slytherin - Death Eater
    edited May 2012
    PSOCecil wrote: »
    Alright, edited. But I think LEGO Star Wars is a tad old.. and if it's anything like the console games, doesn't it take 10+ minutes to finish a level?

It's nice to have my one event every year where I actually get Streetpasses. The only one I've gotten since last year's PAX was Reggie!

Yup, pretty much. But the game that I have, I only use it mainly for multiplayer. Its not a going through levels thing, its a capture the [Frozen Han Solo] flag thing. You play as bounty hunters in either a CtF place or a Deathmatch place (I normally do CtF at Jabba's Tower)

Zoroark173 on
    edited May 2012
    Oops, double posted while trying to edit my above comment. How do I delete my posts?

Zoroark173 on
  • zephusdragonzephusdragon Registered User regular
    I was hoping to see one of these threads soon. Buying a 3DS specifically for PAX, so I'm trying to figure out which games I need to get. It's going to be my first dual screen nintendo handheld, so I have a lot of catching up to do.

Just game wise? Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D is a no brainer, even as a remake it's fantastic. Also Super Mario Land 3D, it's super great.
    For Multiplayer you can't go wrong with Kid Icarus Uprising or Mario Kart 7, both have solid multiplayer and from what I've heard both are even better for it.
    One of the best built in features for a 3DS is the Mii Plaza, it's oddly exciting (and addicting) when you see new Miis you have met lined up outside your gate.

3-Day Pass [x]
    Hotel Booked [x]
    Drive Fiancee Batty over PAX [x][x][x]
  • TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Oh man. HUNDREDS more street passes to be had. Didn't pass the # I got last Prime at East last month (550ish at Prime, 450ish at East), but I was not on the expo floor as much and lined up for a panel instead of the queue hall on Saturday. My Mii Plaza is soooooo huge. Kinda difficult finding level 3+ Miis to recruit when the list is over 1000 people deep.

I'll be bringing MK7, Tetris Axis again for sure. Definitely gonna pick up Mario Tennis Open when it hits soon. Hopefully that'll have some decent multiplayer action. Theathrhythm too, but I'm not sure that'll be too effective at multiplayer hah.

Just game wise? Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D is a no brainer, even as a remake it's fantastic. Also Super Mario Land 3D, it's super great.
    For Multiplayer you can't go wrong with Kid Icarus Uprising or Mario Kart 7, both have solid multiplayer and from what I've heard both are even better for it.
    One of the best built in features for a 3DS is the Mii Plaza, it's oddly exciting (and addicting) when you see new Miis you have met lined up outside your gate.

My top choices:

For 3DS:
    LoZ:OoT 3D (Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D)
    Pokemon Rumble Blast
    Mario Kart 7
    /lulforgotnameTheNewMarioGameForThe3DS

For 3DS E-Shop:
    PushMo
    FreakyForms: Your Creations come alive
    Legend of Zelda: Four Swords

For DS:
    Dragon Quest IX Sentinels of the Starry Skies
    Golden Sun: Dark Dawn
    Pokemon Black/White, HeartGold/SoulSilver, and Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
    Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

Oh man. HUNDREDS more street passes to be had. Didn't pass the # I got last Prime at East last month (550ish at Prime, 450ish at East), but I was not on the expo floor as much and lined up for a panel instead of the queue hall on Saturday. My Mii Plaza is soooooo huge. Kinda difficult finding level 3+ Miis to recruit when the list is over 1000 people deep.

I'll be bringing MK7, Tetris Axis again for sure. Definitely gonna pick up Mario Tennis Open when it hits soon. Hopefully that'll have some decent multiplayer action. Theathrhythm too, but I'm not sure that'll be too effective at multiplayer hah.

Is it possible for the 3DS to run out of memory for the people in your Plaza and have to start deleting old people. If so, what is the limit? Is it... OVER 9000!!!! And yes. I did just use that meme. 'nuff said.

• TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Zoroark173 wrote: »

Is it possible for the 3DS to run out of memory for the people in your Plaza and have to start deleting old people. If so, what is the limit? Is it... OVER 9000!!!! And yes. I did just use that meme. 'nuff said.
    I honestly thought it was 1000, but once I hit 1001 at East; that threw my whole 3DS world upside down. I have no idea what the max population of the plaza is now that I have crossed into 4-digit territory. I guess I could look it up, but I am le tiiiiiiiired.

I leave for a little bit, and the thread grows! Cool.

Remember, if anyone has any multiplayer games to add to the list, say so. Let's try to make this a definitive Multiplayer Handheld list for PAX Prime 2012.

I honestly thought it was 1000, but once I hit 1001 at East; that threw my whole 3DS world upside down. I have no idea what the max population of the plaza is now that I have crossed into 4-digit territory. I guess I could look it up, but I am le tiiiiiiiired.

lol. I just saw this old post that said you can only get 10 tags at a time, and then you must play with them all, then you can get 10 more. I've gotten more than 10 once. But on more relevant news, you can have infinite tags, but your plaza only holds the most recent 3000 miis.

PSOCecil wrote:

DS!
    Planet Puzzle League
    Tetris DS
    LEGO Star Wars

3DS!
    Mario Kart 7
    Star Fox 64 3D
    Tetris Axis
    Mario Tennis Open

PSP!
    Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
    Valkyria Chronicles 2

Vita!
    Mortal Kombat
    Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

ohh for vita there is also resistance coming out in a few weeks

I AM THE VAMPIRE
  • thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    I'm pretty psyched to play some Pokemon black/white.. It'll be my first PAX, and i'm hoping to fit in a couple wifi battles with new teams i'm making and what not =D

Pokemon you say...

SHAMELESS PLUG INCOMING

you should definately check out the PAX Pokemon League found and this website here. We have volunteer leaders (for which applications are still open) and you can battle and get real badges. It's pretty awesome if I do say so myself.

• RandomAtomRandomAtom Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Sadly I lost (in a mishap, not misplaced) my Pokemon Black and UMK3 cards, I'll try to pick some used ones up before PAX, but for now I'll just be StreetPassing all day everyday

Totally left out Vita, I've got MK, Chess, and Pinball.

RandomAtom on
    EAST 2014 Ticket[X] Hotel [X] Transport [ ] Plan [ ]
    Find me on Steam.
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Shit. Thanks for reminding me I need to get on finishing MK7 and Pokemon White.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    I need to finish my Kid Icarus: Uprising so I cna totally boss in Light vs Dark. When I had beaten Medusa, I thought I had finally finished the game. Then Hades came along. And now Viridi! How many more main enemies will there be -_-

sarge1445 wrote: »
    PSOCecil wrote:

DS!
    Planet Puzzle League
    Tetris DS

3DS!
    Mario Kart 7
    Star Fox 64 3D
    Tetris Axis
    Mario Tennis Open

PSP!
    Uh.... Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker?
    Maybe some Monster Hunter?

Vita!
    Let me think here... uh.. open to suggestion, here..

for vita marvelvs capcom and mortal kombat

ohh for VIta wipeout also and lumines

I AM THE VAMPIRE
  • JensunamiJensunami TacomaRegistered User regular
    Just got my 3DS.....WOOT.

• RichSoCashRichSoCash Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Don't forget Paint Park for the VITA!

• Sleepy KittySleepy Kitty Registered User regular

• ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Just letting you folks know that we'll be running tournies for Mortal Kombat, MKDS, MK7, Lumines and Tetris (Sunday tradition y'all)

Link to times and rule sets: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/165287/prime-2012-handheld-lounge-tournament-info#latest

Scoots on
  • SmashX5000SmashX5000 The Guy Who Draws Things WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'm really looking forward to getting to play Four Swords on the 3DS with people, for sure.

YouTube | DeviantArt | Tumblr | Formspring | Smash Time - My Webcomic
    PAX Prime Preparations - [X] - Fri-Sun Pass [X] - Panel Schedule [X] - Hype [X]
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hi all,

Please allow me to direct your attention to this thread. Thanks!

• Sharkey1337Sharkey1337 Registered User regular
    Oh man, I hope there are more Peace Walker players out there as I have yet to play a coop game on my PSP Go! I'll be leaving my Vita behind, but definitely bringing my Go and 3DS (XL most likely when I upgrade).

Also, new Mario game is "New Super Mario Bros. 2".

• ctiwolfctiwolf Registered User regular
    Word of wisdom from the not so wise, check your 3ds often as you can only hold around ten at a time. Forgot to clear mine while I was waiting in Line all the time and only got a couple hundred. Probably could have gotten at least 500 if I was OCD about it. See you all there virtually as I need some pieces for my new puzzles

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    ctiwolf wrote: »
    Word of wisdom from the not so wise, check your 3ds often as you can only hold around ten at a time. Forgot to clear mine while I was waiting in Line all the time and only got a couple hundred. Probably could have gotten at least 500 if I was OCD about it. See you all there virtually as I need some pieces for my new puzzles

Agreed, be OCD about it. I carried my DS in my hand the whole time watching for the light to start flashing and would clear it out as soon as it did. My husband and I both got over 900 at East this year.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
    any other vita owners out there? hello?

I AM THE VAMPIRE
  • Sharkey1337Sharkey1337 Registered User regular
    I have one, but I definitely don't consider it an on-the-go portable, so I'll be bringing my Go instead. The only multiplayer game I had was Unit 13, but ended up selling it last week as I never had anyone to play coop with. XP

• EvilEvincarEvilEvincar Registered User regular
    I would add in Super Street Fighter 4 3D Edition in there. Might not be the best version unless you're casual, but the streetpass is pretty good.
    The one thing I'm pondering: Is it worth bringing a DS as well as my 3DS to make sure I'm getting streetpasses and the wireless stuff from either Pokemon Black/White or Dragon Quest 9?

Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    EvilEvincar.png
  • wooperzwooperz Registered User regular
    Anyone play Animal Crossing Wild World? PAX sounds like it'd be a great place to leave your local wifi gate open.

ACNL Dream Suite: 5200-2176-8529
  • nil8rnil8r SeattleRegistered User regular
    I plan on bringing my 3ds w/ all of my games. I have Pokemon Black, but I'm a total n00b at it. @wooperz, I have AC WW. Of the recent multiplayer 3DS games that have come out, what's the consensus on which one I should purchase and bring along?

--Mel

signature.png
  • Kwisatz HaderachKwisatz Haderach Registered User regular
    These may be too old/unknown to mention, but I'll be bringing along Metroid Prime Hunters and Nanostray (both single-card multiplayer and quite fun), along with the populars like Pokemon White, Tetris, etc. Still rocking the old phat grey DS though, so no street passing for me.

Also, anyone still play Advance Wars: Days of Ruin?

Twitter: @Quintonious (new, infrequently post)
    PSN: Quintonious
  • kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who will be bringing and playing Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy? :P

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
This discussion has been closed.