As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

alien 3: a pretty interesting movie, even if bad

OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited May 2012 in Social Entropy++
i'm watching the extended edition for the first time, and it's pretty neat how even as an unscripted collection of neat ideas, it manages to have a unique feel

i do love charles dance and sigourney weaver, but even they can't do much with this script or lack thereof

there's also this awful thing

because filling in the blanks is what stories are for

Orikaeshigitae on

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I haven't bothered watching Alien 3 in a long time.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    ori that link leads to madness

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I just choose to believe there were no Alien movies after the first two

And the upcoming one that's a prequel

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    oh hey weird timing

i was just looking for where i was talking about watching face/off

because that movie rules

anyway to tie this into alien 3 i'm about to rewatch Alien and watch aliens for the first time as soon as this movie ends

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Haven't seen it since it came out, maybe I should watch it again

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    I think Alien 3 gets more crap than it deserves since it follows two other films which are pretty much perfect for their genres. It's definitely a step down but I don't think it's bad. Alien Resurrection is bad.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I should probably watch it again but I only own the first 2 on blu ray.

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I heard about what happens in the first few minutes of Alien 3 and decided never to watch it based on that pretty much.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular

I thought I

a) became crazy

2) forgot how to computer

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Adus wrote: »
    I think Alien 3 gets more crap than it deserves since it follows two other films which are pretty much perfect for their genres. It's definitely a step down but I don't think it's bad. Alien Resurrection is bad.

yeah i'm actually pretty into it so far

it's not a good genre piece, but that's a good thing in my opinion

prometheus actually looks pretty good and is actually by ridley scott

and if anyone understands what needs to be in an alien movie it's ridley scott

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    I watched Starship Troopers for the first time in forever this morning because I was hungover and couldn't get back to sleep well that's my story hope you liked it

i'm looking forward to prometheus quite a bit

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    alien 3 is damn good

well, the extended version is, at least

but the idea that being a genre anything somehow cheapens a form of entertainment is some straight up bullshit

ori you best explain yourself

7656367.jpg
    alien 3 is damn good

well, the extended version is, at least

but the idea that being a genre anything somehow cheapens a form of entertainment is some straight up bullshit

ori you best explain yourself

alien and aliens are exemplars of their genres, trying to be either of those would be a fool's errand

I watched Starship Troopers for the first time in forever this morning because I was hungover and couldn't get back to sleep well that's my story hope you liked it

starship troopers and robocop are fantastic movies that don't get half the credit they deserve

dude who directed them is a fucking genius

did you know robocop was supposed to move in a serpentine fashion and then tehy got the actual suit that weller would wear and it turned out to be impossible

spent another three weeks working with a mime to figure out how to portray robocop

ahh okay then

I can live with this ori

I ain't gotta throw down

instead I can drink and watch the premiere of sherlock

7656367.jpg
    Buttlord wrote: »

prometheus actually looks pretty good and is actually by ridley scott

and if anyone understands what needs to be in an alien movie it's ridley scott

Yes, Prometheus looks like it's going to be fantastic

Does anybody know the rating yet? PG-13 or R?

• RinderRinder Registered User regular
    Alien 3 first taught me that heating something up and then rapidly cooling it can cause it to shatter. Edutainment of the highest caliber.

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    The second trailer for Prometheus is so goddamn good. Gunna go see that in IMAX for no reason but the improvement in sound. It'll probably only be in 3D there like the Avengers but whatever, audio is going to be important in that movie, I can feel it.

ahh okay then

I can live with this ori

I ain't gotta throw down

instead I can drink and watch the premiere of sherlock

like i of all people would think that genre would cheapen a work

the problem is almost always that people just imitate the terms of the genre without thinking

this is a really strongly acted movie

tonight i watched john travolta do the world's best impression of nicolas cage and it ruled

the rest of face/off is middling to alright but cage and travolta fuckin' BRING it in this thing

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I like how they stripped it back in alien 3 to a single alien. That was neat as it would have been too easy just to terminator 3 it and continue the series as a big dumb action movie.

The setting (and the consequential characters who were written to fit into the setting) I feel did not add to it though and made it feel like some kind of b grade scifi with a "high grade concept"

I also did not like newt and Kyle Reese being written out in the most lazy way imaginable.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I feel alien 3 had so many production problems it was damn near impossible for them to make a good movie.

Ugh

Terminator 3 could have been so good

• RinderRinder Registered User regular
    I love how Michael Biehn basically got paid almost as much as he did in Aliens just for the use of his likeness in Alien 3.

edited May 2012
    the best part of alien is the set design

the best part of aliens is the costuming

qtiyd

true story the actual stated explanation from scott re: the CO2 shooting everywhere in alien is "it looked cool"

Buttlord on
    Alien 3 should have been a ten years later movie with it starting with an alien queen chest bursting through ripley and Newt goes on a revenge styled movie destroying Weyland industries and aliens.

Blake T wrote: »
    Alien 3 should have been a ten years later movie with it starting with an alien queen chest bursting through ripley and Newt goes on a revenge styled movie destroying Weyland industries and aliens.
    I just made this up.

And now I want it to happen.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Alien 3 has a great tone and atmosphere

a few other cool elements

but overall not very good

• CyrondinCyrondin I bring the sick beats on you, brother Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    i will see it.

also to note that the Joss Whedon witten alien Resurrection. he did the avengers movie which is now breaking records. really messed up.

also of movies people forgot about age ago, i think total recall is a masterpeice.

Nobody forgot about total recall.

Cyrondin wrote: »
    i will see it.

also to note that the Joss Whedon witten alien Resurrection. he did the avengers movie which is now breaking records. really messed up.

also of movies people forgot about age ago, i think total recall is a masterpeice.

that's becase one movie is bad and the other movie is good?

i mean it's not really that weird

I hope the remake doesn't suck

edited May 2012
    I hope the remake doesn't suck

what remake

prometheus?

fake edit oh no total recall

Buttlord on
    I totally recall total recall

7656367.jpg
    The trailer looks really promising.

It looks like they are basing it in the book, rather than remaking the movie, and it seems quite different.

But it is being directed by the guy that did underworld.....

• CyrondinCyrondin I bring the sick beats on you, brother Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    Cyrondin wrote: »
    i will see it.

that's becase one movie is bad and the other movie is good?

i mean it's not really that weird

ya i just thinking dumb, but the movie feel like his rough draft of firefly.