As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Edinburgh Manor (Mini Phalla) Day 6: Mafia and Princess Victory!

• CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    oh wait, you were the SK. Never mind.

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    And @Egos , I know you were frustrated that you didn't know whether or not the villagers all had powers so you could construct a cover, but I did clarify that your given cover roles were sufficient. That should have read to you as "You don't need to fake a power." But I can see being paranoid. It's just that I have no idea what made you think that? I guess your first two seers finding powers? Your seer's good luck ended up stressing you out :)

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    B:L wrote: »
    Figgy wrote: »
    RE: End Game

There were 2 mafia and 2 villagers left. Mafia still had their kill plus a trap. Even without the trap, the mafia would kill 1 villager, the village would vote for 1 mafia, and the 2 mafia could tie the vote on one of the villagers. 1 mafia left standing.

I thought vote goes first so if the mafia with a kill gets voted out, they lose that kill.
    It looks like it was a group kill.

steam_sig.png
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    B:L wrote: »
    RE: End Game

There were 2 mafia and 2 villagers left. Mafia still had their kill plus a trap. Even without the trap, the mafia would kill 1 villager, the village would vote for 1 mafia, and the 2 mafia could tie the vote on one of the villagers. 1 mafia left standing.

I thought vote goes first so if the mafia with a kill gets voted out, they lose that kill.

The mafia's kill was a collective kill. They had it as long as 1 of them was alive. This is pretty standard from what I've seen, for their base kill at least.

spreadsheet here if you're interested: http://wewearfancyhats.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=12

Before you count the votes and say something's messed up, Egos and facetious's powers are automatically accounted for in the spreadsheet.

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    ahava

ahava

it was stupid obvious that the network head wanted me kept alive.

At the very least, you should have not targeted me on account of the fact that the mafia should have tried to kill me!

Also, mafia, why not try to kill me?

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    But yeah, this was awesome @Figgy! The narrations were great, the mechanics are neat, and I had a ton of fun trying to not completely fuck up being the SK (even though I totally did).

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    yeah... you kinda need to have an account to download attachments. Rehost it on google docs

steam_sig.png
  • CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    I'd honestly like any comments/critiques of my performance as network head. I had a blast but I feel like I made some pretty noobish mistakes.

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
    Spoit wrote: »
    yeah... you kinda need to have an account to download attachments. Rehost it on google docs

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzRiWrn1RCMuOWFkSVZnSWxsR00

There it is. I can't actually convert it, or it will muck up all the calculations.

edited May 2012
    I was joking earlier, but you probably should have taken advantage of my ability to help you guys manipulate the location vote. It'd avoid the network from being too blatantly obvious in the vote manipulation. The fact that it would have helped me out, too, to earn your guys' trust naturally makes me biased, but I do genuinely believe it made sense from both of our perspectives. That was about the only thing I thought I did 'right' as far as moves I made, because the way I analysed it there should have theoretically been no downside.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    And @Egos , I know you were frustrated that you didn't know whether or not the villagers all had powers so you could construct a cover, but I did clarify that your given cover roles were sufficient. That should have read to you as "You don't need to fake a power." But I can see being paranoid. It's just that I have no idea what made you think that? I guess your first two seers finding powers? Your seer's good luck ended up stressing you out :)

well we all had powers (which is atypical). And unique roles is somewhat unique (sadly)- usually it is accompanied with powers. So....

Also there was the context of Cayrus' rolecall - wanting everyone to contact him (which usually they only want to hear from...important people)

So...on the sheet before last, grimmy's trap kill on obi went through even though he was roleblocked?

steam_sig.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    ahava

ahava

At the very least, you should have not targeted me on account of the fact that the mafia should have tried to kill me!

if i remember correctly, it was friday (down here, thursday in the states)

I was out all day at the doctors in order to prevent future baby dolphins.

I had like an hour to figure things out, and apply for jobs, and get ready for dinner out for a friends wedding the next day.

paying ultra close attention was not on my mind.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzRiWrn1RCMuOWFkSVZnSWxsR00

There it is. I can't actually convert it, or it will muck up all the calculations.
    It doesn't look like you're using any of the functions in excel that aren't in google docs?

steam_sig.png
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    =/

I cannot seem to last more than like 3 days as a vig, ever.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    you get used to dying in the first 3 days.

After a while, you don't do any planning or networking until at least day 3.

Anyways, thanks for hosting Figgy.

See you guys when I feel like I'll enjoy phalla again. Gimme a couple months or something.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    This was fun to watch.

@facetious , what did I do to arouse the Ghost's ire?

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    Egos wrote: »

well we all had powers (which is atypical). And unique roles is somewhat unique (sadly)- usually it is accompanied with powers. So....

Also there was the context of Cayrus' rolecall - wanting everyone to contact him (which usually they only want to hear from...important people)

That's not a role call, as I understand it. Cayrus was the network head asking for people to get in touch. That happens in every single game. And you guys had complete cover roles. I even gave the village specials cover roles.

Baidol wrote: »
    This was fun to watch.

@facetious , what did I do to arouse the Ghost's ire?

No ire, yours was pretty much random. I was going after people I thought might be on the 'other end' of a busdrive, so that it might deflect back on a village special.

Real strong, facetious.

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Egos wrote: »

That's not a role call, as I understand it. Cayrus was the network head asking for people to get in touch. That happens in every single game. And you guys had complete cover roles. I even gave the village specials cover roles.

He wanted every single person to contact him..so it was rather close.

edit: And I've never complained about the cover roles :P Only the possibility that everyone had powers.

I really didn't see a reason to Clarification Deny it personally....

Egos on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    ahava

ahava

if i remember correctly, it was friday (down here, thursday in the states)

I was out all day at the doctors in order to prevent future baby dolphins.

I had like an hour to figure things out, and apply for jobs, and get ready for dinner out for a friends wedding the next day.

paying ultra close attention was not on my mind.

No worries, gotta prioritize the important things first after all.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    So my pm reads:

Tayrun:

You are the royal Prince. You have escaped the palace in order to live a commoner’s life for an evening. What better way than to attend a dinner party? You have decided your cover will be a circus performer. You’ve always loved the circus, and it’s certainly a better cover story than your sister’s. Who wants to work on a farm, anyway?

You are allied with the townspeople, but your loyalties lie with your Queen. You were having fun at first, but now you’re scared and want to go home. You win by surviving until the end of the game. Maybe there is someone here who can help?

You are masoned with sportzboytjw, the Princess.

sportzboytjw:

You are the royal Princess. You have escaped the palace in order to live a commoner’s life for an evening. What better way than to attend a dinner party? You have decided that your cover will be a farmhand. You’ve always thought farm life romantic, and the idea of tending beautiful horses and sleeping in hay lofts each day sounds wonderful. It’s much more believable than your brother’s foolish circus idea, that’s for certain.

You are allied with the townspeople, but your loyalties lie with your Queen. You were having fun at first, but now you’re scared and want to go home. You win by surviving until the end of the game. If only there was someone here who knew who you were?

You are masoned with Tayrun, the Prince.

I took that us being allied with the town let us win even if we were dead, so I planned to throw Tayrun under the bus D1, have him vouche for me, then lead the village to victory (or defeat). Everyone let people talk them out of trusting me, so I went quiet(er) and planned to ride it out til the end.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    That.. was your plan? Throw your mason partner under the bus instead of listening to your PM and finding help? You won, but your brother lost. You killed him. Did Bedlam ever contact you, or did he just not bother?

• sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    He contacted me afterwards, but the PM was way too vague for me to know anything from it, plus I didn't want to get mafia'd/SK'd infiltrated by a poser.

Either way, I won right? ahaahah sorry tayrun!

Walkerdog on MTGO
    What was I supposed to do with neutral masons though... I was also concerned that Tayrun was secrectly like a miller or something, so i wanted him dead asap so he could confirm me, worst case was he died and came up mafia, but if that was the case, I give up.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    He contacted me afterwards, but the PM was way too vague for me to know anything from it, plus I didn't want to get mafia'd/SK'd infiltrated by a poser.

If you would have gotten in touch with Bedlam (I guess you did? But if you don't include me in the PM I have no idea you did and can't exactly ask if you did), he would have gained a guard ability. Spreadsheet says "alternate seer" by his name, but I meant "alternate guard." As in, his guard would alternate each day from you to your brother. I noticed my typo when he was already dead anyway and never bothered fixing it.

He PM'd me, but didn't include you and I was like "screw that I'm just going to chill here and not die and win I hope" at that point since no one wanted to let me head up the village. I would have played it honest for the village, but if they didn't want that, i wasn't going to fight it too much.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    What was bedlam's wincon?

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Mafia actions that happen during the day are always going to screw the village, and with two mafia kills plus a sk kill a night in a 25 man game, I can't believe that we lasted this long. The vote is always going to be cemented before 7, so the location provided nothing for the village and a permanent two kills for the mafia.

I was on fire, though. Three blocked kills as the guard yay.

Langly on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    That.. was your plan? Throw your mason partner under the bus instead of listening to your PM and finding help? You won, but your brother lost. You killed him. Did Bedlam ever contact you, or did he just not bother?

mason pairs usually share survival based victories.

Langly wrote: »
    Mafia actions that happen during the day are always going to screw the village, and with two mafia kills plus a sk kill a night in a 25 man game, I can't believe that we lasted this long. The vote is always going to be cemented before 7, so the location provided nothing for the village and a permanent two kills for the mafia.

The trap went off just over half the time, so I guess it didn't? I know you guys felt powerless against it, but you really weren't trying much to avoid it. The mafia didn't have two kills. They had one collective kill, and one kill that they could sometimes get. They got it 4 out of 7 times.

If someone said, "hey, let's just change locations at the last second and see what happens!" you would have been able to almost nullify it. After three days of trapping, there'd be a 40% chance you'd get hit.

Langly wrote: »

mason pairs usually share survival based victories.

Except he's dead. And that's sad.

The whole prince/princess/palace guard thing was just something random I tossed in to give a few people something to do, besides play along with the village. Unfortunately, sportz saw it as a way to be evil mcevilpants.

So...on the sheet before last, grimmy's trap kill on obi went through even though he was roleblocked that day?

steam_sig.png
    edited May 2012
    So...on the sheet before last, grimmy's trap kill on obi went through even though he was roleblocked that day?

The trap is set at 7 PM EDT.

edit: My original plan was to have the trap set the night before, but I thought it would be easier to analyze if it were the same night, if/when the village figured it out. Either way, the trap was never intended to be role-blockable.

edit:edit Could have sworn I edited this again? Anyway, don't forget you lost an effective 2nd vig from a bad bus drive. You'd have two village kills in the attic.

Figgy on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    And why didn't Bedlam try to get in touch? Even after the reveal?
    I WAS SLEEPING! There is pretty much no way Im ever staying up for a midnight or later vote close. Sorry but this guy works first shift and is in bed by 10pm EST typically.

If you would have gotten in touch with Bedlam (I guess you did? But if you don't include me in the PM I have no idea you did and can't exactly ask if you did), he would have gained a guard ability. Spreadsheet says "alternate seer" by his name, but I meant "alternate guard." As in, his guard would alternate each day from you to your brother. I noticed my typo when he was already dead anyway and never bothered fixing it.
    Fuck me running. Yeah I PMd sportz the next morning but he really didnt want to talk to me because he was being a goose. Hold on.

BedlamMay 2

What in the fucking blue hell were you two thinking last night?

BedlamMay 2

sportzboytjw wrote:

That is a filthy habit, shoving cutlery in one's companion's backside. Please reconsider though and join with me to kill Tayrun. It would be oh so courteous of you.

This here? This is terrible. If I get in trouble for the prince dying Im grudging your forever.

BedlamMay 2

Also saying you were neutral wasnt a good idea. We are allied with the townspeople but our loyalties are with the queen, cant win with the mafia like a true neutral could though.

sportzboytjwMay 2

I told tayrun to emphasize where my loyalties lay... unfortunately, even in death my brother was an incompetent.

BedlamMay 2

Well Im suposed to protect you children, but I have nothing special about me to do so.

Please do your best not to get yourself killed, princess.

He PM'd me, but didn't include you and I was like "screw that I'm just going to chill here and not die and win I hope" at that point since no one wanted to let me head up the village. I would have played it honest for the village, but if they didn't want that, i wasn't going to fight it too much.
    We are allied with the townspeople but our loyalties are with the queen
    This makes it pretty obvious that we have somthing in common. Why you didnt want to talk to me is about as confusing as why you would kill your mason buddy.

Yeah I should just make it a habit of adding the host no matter what the phalla. Thats partially my fault. To be fair when I asked if I had a power I got a CD and I figured I could unlock one (being the royal guard and all) but I was left wondering what the key would be.

• AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Was I seered?

Because I posted exactly the same style as I do when I am a villager.