As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Costumes thread

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I don't see it as a fully time costume, but I always liked the stories of Diana acting as an ambassador, and that would be something she would wear to an event or something.

Mainly I thought it was a really well drawn picture of WW.
    i agree with both of these things!

• herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    It is a fantastic Wonder Woman drawing, that's for damn sure.

steam_sig-400.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    That Wonder Woman picture is what I look like in real life fyi

Solar wrote: »

hello

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular

hey, you're my twin sister!

huntresssig.jpg
    edited March 2012
    Antimatter wrote: »

hello

:winky:

Solar on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I liked Midnighter's original costume. One of the few black trench coat costumes that I felt work. Mostly cause it was implied he hid numerous edged weapons underneath and it was more of a walking armory rather than an edgy fashion choice.

Not sure how I feel about Deathstroke's post flashpoint costume. Its a bit of a mix of his classic and his Go! Teen Titan's costume and it kinda works for me. Perhaps just need a few other artist renditions to see how it holds up or if its just the current artist making it work.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    The light blue on the old costume always made me think of Captain America, so if nothing else I appreciate the fact that they darkened it.

• cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, Muppets meet Marvel.

x-muppetsmen-500x341.jpg

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, Muppets meet Marvel.

x-muppetsmen-500x341.jpg

daaaaaaaaaaamn.

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Hmmm

Professor Honeydew as Professor X
    Gonzo as Beast
    Mrs. Piggy as Emma Frost

Could work. Quick make a script and send it to Disney for a new muppets movie!

• the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular
    pure genius.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I did a redesign of Geo-Force. I don't even like Geo-Force.

GeoForeceRedesignFinal.png

I approached this from the idea of what would make me like Geo-Force. In my head, this dude rolls up to Markovia one day, claiming to be the long-dead Prince Brion, and out to depose the evil Count Vertigo.

But, Geo-Force never drops his stone mask, so nobody knows if it's really Brion under there, or just some opportunistic superhero. I also kind of like the idea that the name "Geo-Force" is derived from a crappy Babel fish translation. Like, his name's something cool and majestic in Markovian, but there's not really an English approximation of it, so the media calls him Geo-Force, and everyone else follows suit.

Design-wise, I wanted it to be more than a little fantasy-inspired. I'm a fan of big, puffy capes, tunics, and fuzzy boots. I figure regular pants are more trouble than they're worth when you're covered in stone all the time.

I also tried to show that his joints and such suffer a lot of tiny stress fractures. So, the places where his face would wrinkle, become riddled with little cracks and fissures.

If I did a second draft I'd probably tweak some stuff. He was originally going to be wearing a tunic, ala Dr. Doom, but every time I drew it, it wound up looking more like a frilly dress. So, I turned it into kind of a kilt + strap made of vines. But, I'm not particularly fond of how that came out, either.

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    munch you are killing me here

literally killing me

7656367.jpg
    This is literally the first thing I've done a finished drawing of, in like a month. Had to shake some of the rust off, as it were.

Look, we'll use the design in Chupacabra.

He can be a hill.. golem.. man.

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    fine

put him in the backround somewhere in mexico

there's hills in mexico right?

7656367.jpg
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Get rid of the strap, Munch. Ivy/vines skirt and cloak are really cool and very swords-and-sorcery, the strap just loses it all.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Adam Strange's costume on Young Justice is reminiscent of Assassin's Creed for me. I think it looks great. It's very different from his comics costume, but it's fitting with the fashion of Rann on the show

11gk76o.jpg

I've been digging pretty much all the redesigns on this show. They should be the comics designs

I dig it. I like that the hood has some visual nods to Adam's normal visor/helmet, like the white rim around the face, the white head-fin, and the "V" shape.

I think Adam's normal space-man look is a little too clean-cut for the name Adam Strange, while the hood makes him look mysterious, and sort of weird.

That is a cool Adam Strange costume!

That is a nice Adam Strange there. Kind of gives him a little bit of a G-Force feeling. Just needs a white pistol in one of his hands.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I know nothing about DC post relaunch, but I really dig young Superman's new costume.

Classic colors and shield but slightly militarized/alien hazard suit look.

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    You know what i'd really dig?
    If they just took Superman's new costume and gave him a pair of jeans and boots on it. Combination of his Action Comics T-Shirt look and the new modern more alien look.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    what costume are you guys referring to?

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I'm talking about Superman's New 52 costume

Tairu wrote: »
    I'm talking about Superman's New 52 costume
    HQiCi.jpg

I'm not a fan. The collar is too militaristic, and Superman shouldn't wear armor.

As nutty as it is, I've always really loved Mase's Superman redesign.

M2V2z.jpg

It stresses the carefree and gentle side of Superman, which I think is paramount.

Like, I've always wondered why Superman would bother with shoes. I know I'm more comfortable running around in my bare feet. But, I don't really want to step on a rusty nail, or some broken glass, so I have to wear shoes. Superman doesn't.

I do think he should probably have a shirt on, since he doesn't seem like the type of dude to just run around without one. And the pants don't really seem like something a guy raised in rural Kansas would wear.

That would certainly make for a really cool alt-world Superman

I actually think it would make a really awesome Martian Manhunter design.

Like, old Martian Manhunter, who was all zen and well-traveled. Not current, black-ops Martian Manhunter.

Head gear or head socks or whatever those things are that frame the face and let the hair get all fabio are always terrible, solar
    always

Munch wrote: »
    I actually think it would make a really awesome Martian Manhunter design.

Like, old Martian Manhunter, who was all zen and well-traveled. Not current, black-ops Martian Manhunter.

Yeah

yeah, that would be cool

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular

Like, I've always wondered why Superman would bother with shoes. I know I'm more comfortable running around in my bare feet. But, I don't really want to step on a rusty nail, or some broken glass, so I have to wear shoes. Superman doesn't.

Well, according to Smallville at least, kryptonite is everywhere and you can't walk down the street without find copious amounts of the stuff in Kansas. That's Superman's version of a rusty nail (the actual object, not the sex act).

goddammit hensler

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    goddammit hensler

Mu?

As nutty as it is, I've always really loved Mase's Superman redesign.

M2V2z.jpg

It stresses the carefree and gentle side of Superman, which I think is paramount.

I do think he should probably have a shirt on, since he doesn't seem like the type of dude to just run around without one. And the pants don't really seem like something a guy raised in rural Kansas would wear.

It sounds sort of like a gentle version of the Hulk. Superman as the ultimate beach bum.

flex mentallo

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Well then we should recolor him

SHUT UP

So, I wanted to try doing digital inks over my pencils, and did another Geo-Force redesign, this time playing up his lava abilities. In my head, this would be his shit-gets-real costume. Like, in his normal rock form, he walks around with flowers sprouting up in his footsteps. In this one, he leaves charred footprints.

GeoForceLava.png

Again, I tried to play up the stress fractures and such that would occur in his face and joints, but rather than a bunch of little cracks, they're just represented by wider gaps between the rock that makes up his armor.

There's a black and white version on my blog, too.

Daaaaamn