As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Roasts and Casseroles. [Cooking and Food Thread]

• ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Can you buy vanilla ice cream and add that in parts w/ the base?

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I probably could, but I think the mint flavor of the current base would be pretty much wiped out by an addition of vanilla ice cream. I used two cups of mint leaves to infuse it but it's not a very strong flavor still.

I think I'm just going to have to buy a second flavor from Baskin-Robbins to serve at the party and make the mint-chip tomorrow or Monday or whenever the shit the ice cream maker base is frozen solid again.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I've got this grill and it's got cast iron grill plates. It was cheap, so the coating immediately flaked off, and now I'm having a devil of a time keeping them rust free. Has anyone else had this problem? What am I doing wrong?

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I've got this grill and it's got cast iron grill plates. It was cheap, so the coating immediately flaked off, and now I'm having a devil of a time keeping them rust free. Has anyone else had this problem? What am I doing wrong?

You should season cast iron grill grates like you season cast iron pans. Get the rust off with a heavy brush and reseason them. You probably need to season them a few times till they get that nice coating going.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    jalapeno pickled eggs are fantastic in salad
    Stale wrote: »
    or by themselves

jalapeno eggs are great

do you have a recipe? I don't have any jalapenos, so I will probably make mustard pickled eggs this time, but that sounds great.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    All this talk of picklin' reminds me I've got to put down a new batch of eggs this break. The onions are nowhere near ready yet so it's just eggs

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    I took a stab at spaghetti tonight. Odd results: Pasta portion was fine, nothing fancy. But to the ground beef I decided to add some onion and a diced pepper. Anaheim, not supposed to be spicy. Well this one was. Or maybe it was the dash of hot sauce I thought would make it smokey. Or too much black pepper. Or garlic salt. Basically I have an addiction to heat and now I'm eating spicy spaghetti and I'm not sure if I'm liking this.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I took a stab at spaghetti tonight. Odd results: Pasta portion was fine, nothing fancy. But to the ground beef I decided to add some onion and a diced pepper. Anaheim, not supposed to be spicy. Well this one was. Or maybe it was the dash of hot sauce I thought would make it smokey. Or too much black pepper. Or garlic salt. Basically I have an addiction to heat and now I'm eating spicy spaghetti and I'm not sure if I'm liking this.

Did you seed the pepper because Anaheims are normally not very hot, but then again, variance in pepper heat is based on alot of weather/soil/voodoo.

50433.png?1708759015
    I did seed it per usual, but yeah I just got a rogue 'really hot' pepper. Had that happen with the Italian Roasters too. Normally Anaheims are barely over a bell for me, but oh well. I should've known something was up when I bit at a hangnail I had, and my mouth was instant-hot. But by then it was too late.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Oh man.

I had the funniest chilis when I went for a trip last month.

I can't remember the name of them, but they're maybe an inch and half long.

Char grilled with a bit of olive oil and garlic.

The thing is though, is that they're randomly hot.

One will be absolutely mild. The next would be life altering.

They were so good.

That sounds fantastic. I'm so going to miss not growing hot peppers this year.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    made mini blackberry cobblers tonight
    i am the best

nevillexmassig1.png
    I can't wait for my camping trip in two weeks, because food always tastes better camping and also friends can eat or starve ;p

Thinking about getting a couple of fish to grill, wrap them in foil with lemons and some veggies.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    Turkeys ate my chilis.

Goddamn arsehole turkeys

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Turkeys ate my chilis.

Goddamn arsehole turkeys

Birds aren't effected by the ceasesan, which creates heat in chillis which is why they ate them all.

edited May 2012
    Blake T wrote: »
    Tef wrote: »
    Turkeys ate my chilis.

Goddamn arsehole turkeys

Birds aren't effected by the ceasesan, which creates heat in chillis which is why they ate them all.

yeah, my ex had a parrot and he used to love chilis.

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    This...is an EX-PARROT!

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    I am addicted to oven-roasted brussel sprouts. I ate so many yesterday...

• kilroydoskilroydos Registered User regular
    Going back to India in June. Very excited. A coworker is going to take me back to his part of town and have his family make me a spicy beef biryani that is supposedly excellent. They're obviously not Hindu.

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Spent the weekend eating rather horrible wedding food at a rehearsal dinner and then the wedding itself. Spent most of this morning apparently clearing the system.

Fucking mass produced shitty hotel food.

At least I'm getting pho tonight. Sweeeeet.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Oh man.

I had the funniest chilis when I went for a trip last month.

I can't remember the name of them, but they're maybe an inch and half long.

Char grilled with a bit of olive oil and garlic.

The thing is though, is that they're randomly hot.

One will be absolutely mild. The next would be life altering.

They were so good.

Shishito peppers. The hot ones are good luck!

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

I do love a good Arrabbiata, but yea, with those ingredients it was definitely the anaheim. Onions, even if they start hot lose the vast majority of it in cooking, and black pepper or garlic salt can be pronounced, but never really get spicy. So unless that hot sauce was some super variety, I'd blame voo-doo peppers.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I have so much junk in my awkwardly configured ancient fridge that I won't have anywhere to put those eggs I was going to make.

Big Bad Voodoo Peppers

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    Because I barely know how to cook, I've been eating the following for dinner for the past two years:

1. One bowl of white rice
    2. A quarter of a bag of mixed frozen vegetables
    3. A can of tuna or salmon

I eat this every evening because it's so easy and seems relatively healthy. I use a rice cooker for the rice, steam the tuna/vegetables to my liking on the stovetop, put it all together, and eat. But, I'm looking to mix it up a bit because I'm bored of this, and no, I don't want to eat greasy frozen dinners.

Are there easier things to prepare and eat, that are just as healthy? I barely know how to cook as it is, so please keep recipes as simple and as healthy as possible.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    There is nothing easier than that other than eating slices of white bread right out of the bag

how the hell damn could you stand eating the same thing every night for two years?

#pipe on
    edited May 2012
    #pipe wrote: »
    There is nothing easier than that other than eating slices of white bread right out of the bag

how the hell damn could you stand eating the same thing every night for two years?

It's easy and I'm a lazy dude who wants to spend as little time as possible taking care of my basic needs? But, I'm ready for a change, though.

XX55XX on
    COOKING IS NOT HARD.

IT'S NOT FUCKING MYSTIFYING.

COOKING IS NOT A PUSSY, ALTHOUGH IT ALSO DOES NOT BELONG ON A PEDASTAL.

YOU CAN COOK ANYTHING YOU WANT, YOU JUST NEED THREE IMPORTANT THINGS. TO BE BOTHERED. A RECIPE AND THE FUCKING INGREDIENTS.

YOU DO, AT A PRIMAL LEVEL, KNOW HOW TO COOK.

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    i don't need your cooking bitch i'm on my own stove

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    sigh.jpg

easysig2.jpg
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Let's start with something easy

Have you heard of hot dogs?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Turambar wrote: »

I have.

But it's not something I can eat every night, right?

• OdenOden Registered User regular
    How about:

Rice and [meat]

Oden wrote: »
    How about:

Rice and [meat]

That's what the canned salmon and tuna are for.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I wanna get myself some chicken thighs.

The best part of the chicken.

• OdenOden Registered User regular
    Maybe some chicken or steak or pork instead.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Pork chops are super easy.

And super tasty!

IT'S NOT SOME MYSTICAL FUCKING SPELL.

YOU DON'T NEED SOME KIND OF FOURTEEN INCH CEDAR BULLSHIT FILLED WITH UNICORN SEMEN.

ALL YOU NEED IS A FUCKING STOVE. MAYBE AN OVEN.

ANYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF, YOU CAN MAKE.

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    I feel like that much tuna might be unhealthy. I'm sure someone else here knows a legit reference for mercury content and all that ish, though...

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    XX55XX wrote: »
    Turambar wrote: »

I have.

But it's not something I can eat every night, right?

You just want a new eat-every-day meal to replace the one you have?

There is no superior dinner that can be eaten every day without damage to your health
    Your body needs a diverse and varied diet to function

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
This discussion has been closed.