As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bored Gaming Critique...

FuzzyMcNubNubsFuzzyMcNubNubs Spring Valley, CARegistered User new member
edited May 2012 in Artist's Corner
I would love a critique from some of you on my new comic. It's titled Bored Gaming. There are two more on my blog http://boredgaming.blogspot.com/ but this is the latest one.
5-4-12.gif

FuzzyMcNubNubs on

• melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    I've played Skyrim, but maybe not enough to get this joke. ):

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    I don't get the joke either......maybe it's an MMO joke, that's not specific to skyrim.

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    Man I haven't played the game and even I know what this is about:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccBQZVpVvAE

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    themoreyouknow.jpg

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I never understood those complaints. I always played tes games to break them

Also I seem to remember Bethesda delivering public announcement saying they'll never release an mmo in the elder scrolls universe...

ninjai on
  • FuzzyMcNubNubsFuzzyMcNubNubs Spring Valley, CARegistered User new member
    That video should explain the joke, but I guess that you have to have read about the exploit or heard about it. I wrote the comic thinking that people would immediately understand it, but the more people that I show it to, the more people ask me to explain it.
    ninjai wrote: »

Also I seem to remember Bethesda delivering public announcement saying they'll never release an mmo in the elder scrolls universe...
    Well, they must have changed their mind.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2012/may/04/elder-scrolls-online-news
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404001,00.asp
    mashable.com/2012/05/03/elder-scrolls-online/
    forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/05/03/the-elder-scrolls-online-officially-announced-can-bethesda-jump-genres/

• PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    Yeah I wasn't even aware you could just pick things up and move them around until I saw that video AoB posted. And I have like 100+ hours played.

steam_sig.png
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    That video should explain the joke, but I guess that you have to have read about the exploit or heard about it. I wrote the comic thinking that people would immediately understand it, but the more people that I show it to, the more people ask me to explain it.

Well, they must have changed their mind.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2012/may/04/elder-scrolls-online-news
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404001,00.asp
    mashable.com/2012/05/03/elder-scrolls-online/
    forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2012/05/03/the-elder-scrolls-online-officially-announced-can-bethesda-jump-genres/

Dude all you gotta do is google "tes" and in the recommended list it says MMO. I know what they've announced, but upon announcing Oblivion and rumors of it being an MMO they silenced these rumors by releasing a statement to the effect of "we'll never make one of those in this universe. maybe fo, but not tes."

I've spent the last half hour or so looking for that article, but I can't seem to find it...

ninjai on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    I got the joke, and I've never played Skyrim.

I think you should come up with new name for the comic. Bored Gaming sounds… boring.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Yes, as soon as I saw it was going to say, Boring Gaming is the worst thing you could name it. Oh and get rid of the copyright stuff on the strip, no one cares and it can easily be edited anyway.

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    upon announcing Oblivion and rumors of it being an MMO they silenced these rumors by releasing a statement to the effect of "we'll never make one of those in this universe. maybe fo, but not tes."
    Bethesda marketing has always been filthy lies and hype, so no surprises here.

pete_bucket.pngtodd_bucket.gif

As for the comic... I feel like we're getting lazy on critique but "practice anatomy and pay more attention to your lineweight" works as usual.
    The joke is already a bit (a lot?) overplayed (though certainly not as much as the arrow->knee one) so I regret to inform it didn't really brighten my day. Since putting buckets on townsfolk's heads is the norm, maybe you could have taken it one step further? Winning a boss battle by putting a bucket on his head? Blinding a fellow player? Bucketed NPCs statistics? All of the above?

Mayday on
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    Already been said, but practice anatomy, vary your line weight, practice perspective (see 3rd panel), get a better name

You're probably aware of this, but there are literally THOUSANDS of video game webcomics that focus on two nerdy white dudes talking about bideo gabes. What is going to make yours special?

-Your joke is difficult to understand, even for people who have played that particular game. I mistook those buckets for lampshades
    -The first two panels are basically filler. Shot-reverse-shot of two dudes on a computer, first panel is "have you heard of INSERT VIDEO GAME" second panel "THAT IS COOL"
    -Standardize your word bubbles, or otherwise make them look like they're not deformed balloons
    -Use a better font, something that isn't italicized and takes up half of your panel. Also distribute your words properly in the bubble
    -Don't use the line tool to draw things in the foreground
    -If you're going to have a talking heads comic (NOT ADVISED), mix up exactly what they're doing while they're talking about it. Where are they? Are they even in the same room?
    -Lose the copyright blurb, or put it at the bottom of the comic outside of the panel

I can't really suggest how to fix this particular comic because there really isn't a joke worth telling here. The best thing you can do is to read A LOT of different comics, especially ones that don't focus on video games (because they're largely terrible). See how they present their characters, their situations, how they set up their jokes, where the punchlines fall. See where they succeed, where they fail. And maybe consider not having your comic only talk about video games.

Thank you all for your feedback. I have some work to do, I'd say. I was thinking that I should probably change the name, so I guess that that is something to work on. As for everything else, I guess I was being a great deal lazier than I had realized and I will have to work on that. Thank you for reminding me that the basics come first. Varied line weight is a fantastic idea. I didn't want the comic to be all about video games, but it just started coming out like that. I will educate myself a bit and see where it goes.

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Squall wrote: »
    You're probably aware of this, but there are literally THOUSANDS of video game webcomics that focus on two nerdy white dudes talking about bideo gabes. What is going to make yours special?

I think this is really the key when choosing the subject matter for your comic. You certainly could do it about video games, but like Squall said, there are already a multitude of video game comics. And there are at least a few that are really good. So you need to figure out what your comic in particular has to offer.

• Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers City of AngelsRegistered User regular
    I thought they were corks.

Quickly followed by wondering what kind of holes they would plug.

Instagram: fadedsneakers
    NibCrom wrote: »
    Squall wrote: »

I think this is really the key when choosing the subject matter for your comic. You certainly could do it about video games, but like Squall said, there are already a multitude of video game comics. And there are at least a few that are really good. So you need to figure out what your comic in particular has to offer.
    You guys make it sound so simple. I'd guess that for that to be in affect I would need to have a gimmick or something that makes my comic really unique, rather than just the art style in which I draw it. Maybe the main character could not make logical sense in being there. Either way, I feel that I have some thinking and reflection to do.
    I thought they were corks.

Quickly followed by wondering what kind of holes they would plug.
    I guess that I over-simplified the baskets. I will have to make sure that everything is distinct in future. Also, that's quite a string of funny thought.