As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Risk Legacy PbP] Game 1: The Victor Emerges [BEWARE SPOILERS]

• Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    Imperial Balkania

You still draw a resource card at the end of a turn where you expanded into 4+ territories, even if you didn't conquer a territory.

HQ in 21

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Balkania gets a lot of hate, but I find their starting power choice to be really interesting. One is extremely useful early game and nonexistent late game, and the other is nonexistent early game and extremely useful late game.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Balkania gets a lot of hate, but I find their starting power choice to be really interesting. One is extremely useful early game and nonexistent late game, and the other is nonexistent early game and extremely useful late game.

I guess we'll see. Most of the 2nd powers just seem too conditional to be useful overall.

Yeah I saw Balkania as the weakest. The first power is basically a 66% chance of one extra army per turn. The 2nd seems like it falls under the "too conditional" category. You'd need to start a game with a high value territory drawn that is also close to your starting position.

No bears? No good.

• Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The Saharan Republic (I've opted for gold over orange, as orange is usually the clarification color in games. Does it read well on the white forum default?)
    I was born in the wagon of a travellin' show...

How very predictable of everyone to cast off the mercenaries, thieves and raiders. I will harness their ability to maneuver at any point in the turn to my advantage, sorting through the apparent chaos. Please leave your valuables accessible, as we don't want any unnecessary bloo...dear me, I almost made it through that sentence without cracking.

35 is as much a home to us as any other region.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2012
    Starting Cards

1. 17- One Coin
    2. 42 - Two Coins
    3. 3 - One Coin
    4. 23 - Two Coins

Coin Cards remaining: Ten

Remember to draw a new card and post all four like this IF you drew a territory card (new card is #1). If you drew a coin card, discard #4 and draw a new card to go in #1 ( all cards shift over).

Remember that nobody can roll for defender right now. Allow the defender a chance to use a scar card.

SeGaTai is up.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Forgot to mention: you recruit on turn one and the minimum number of troops you recruit is three.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    My eyesight and Risk memory aren't what they used to be. Are 25 & 26 adjacent to 14?

• Options
    Yes

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    We're going to use Hot Pink for Saharan Republic because gold doesn't show up well on the default board.
    CZH86.jpg
    Red Stars
    A parentheses indicates stars from HQs.

SeGaTai: (★)★
    MrBody (★)★
    Tayrun: (★)★
    Hippie: (★)★
    EvilBadman: (★)★

Resource Cards
    Deck -> 1. 17- One Coin -> 2. 42 - Two Coins -> 3. 3 - One Coin -> 4. 23 - Two Coins -> Discard

Coin Cards Remaining: 10

Scars Cards
    All players have a scar card.

SeGaTai is up.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Alright let me know if I do this right-Recruit 3 armies, placing them in 39.
    Attack 42 w/ 3 armies from 39
    Attack 41 w/ 2 armies from 42
    Attack 40 w/ 1 army from 41

No maneuver-then I have to draw from deck 2 taking territory card 42, which I should replace with the next resource card?

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    You did not attack those territories. You only draw a card if you successfully attacked (conquered) a territory. The exception is Imperial Balkania's power, which allows them to draw a card if they expand four times.

To summarize:
    Conquer: Taking control of an occupied territory by successfully attacking it.
    Expanding: Taking a control of an empty territory by moving troops into it.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Gotcha, makes a little more sense-then that will end my turn I believe

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Sure hope I'm doing this right.

Occupy 12 with 7 armies from 13.
    Attack 14 from 12 with 6 armies.

Play scar card on 14. Ammo Shortage - You may use this prior to an attack roll. Place this on the defending territory as long as it's unscarred. The defender in this territory subtracts one from its highest defense roll.

Roll: 5, 2

Wait for defender then?

BEAR SEASON

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Since you played your scar, there's really no reason to wait for defense. The only scars available right now affect the defending territory.

Rolling for Khan

4, 1 (Minus 1 for Ammo Shortage from high roll, and minus 1 for Surprise Attack from low roll)

Defender loses two troops.

6 Troops remain on 14
    6 Troops are still attacking 14

EDIT: You also forgot to recruit. You have a total of four troops on 13 still.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Perhaps I am a bit late, but might I recommend goldenrod for the Saharan Republic? Shows up well (enough) on the standard and classic color schemes and is closer to the original color choice.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    And MrBody is playing Enclave as they were meant to be played.

There's a reason why in my group, I own both "South Abearica" and "North Abearica"

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    EDIT: You also forgot to recruit. You have a total of four troops on 13 still.

Oh, uhhh.....I don't suppose I can have them along for my attack? Going at the HQ with all starting forces was kind of the intent. I was going down turn breakdown in the OP and didn't see any mention about minimum 3 recruits each turn.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Yeah sure. Go ahead and finish your attacks.

Make sure to:

-Have separate links for offense and defense.
    -Remember that the max dice you can roll for offense is 3 and for defense is 2. This is capped by your troops (you can only roll one die on defense you if you have one troop left)
    -At the END of your turn, after maneuvering, draw a territory card if you conquered a territory and control one of the four territories (draw a card to replace it and put it in the #1 position). If you conquered a territory and DON'T own any of the four territory cards, then take a coin card, discard the territory card in slot #4, and a draw a new card for slot #1.

If that sounds confusing, just think of the territory cards as on a conveyor belt or something. When you get rid of one, the other shift to fill in the hole.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Okay then.

bear_calvary.jpg

Attacker

Defender
    6,3 (5,2)

Attacker loses 2

Attacker: 7 Defender: 6

A- 6,4
    D- 3,1 (2,1)

Defender loses 2

Attacker: 7 Defender: 4

A- 6,2
    D- 6,3 (5,2)

Both lose 1

Attacker: 6 Defender: 3

A- 2,2 (ouch)
    D- 4,2 (3,1)

Both lose 1

Attacker: 5 Defender:2

A- 5,4
    D-3,2 (2,1)

Defender loses 2

Attacker: 5 Defender: 0

Defender wiped out.

Move into 14 with 4 armies.

Maneuver 3 armies from 14 to 13.

Draw coin card.

Discarding #4 card and drawing new card, 31(1 Coin)

1. 31- One Coin
    2. 17- One Coin
    3. 42 - Two Coins
    4. 3 - One Coin

I think?

Sterica on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    You have a made a few errors. It's always your highest two rolls, and in some case you rolled a 2, 2, and 1 yet you decided your highest two rolls were 2,1. I'll edit the corrections and then update the board in a second.

You also decided to give Khan two troops, which doesn't make a difference in the long run, but is confusing. No, I'm wrong here. Ignore me.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    So I have one extra surviving army? Sweeeeet.

If so, maneuver him along with the rest back to 14. Only going to leave 1 behind at 14.

(hmmmm...in retrospect maybe it would have been better to leave Khan Industries at 1 army)

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    RiskLegacygame1roun2b.jpg
    Their ferocity unleashed, the Enclave is quick to show their dominance, attacking their neighbors in the east with brutal speed...

Tayrun has been Knocked Out. Tayrun can still join the war by placing four troops in a legal starting territory when Tayrun's turn comes up.

Red Stars
    A parentheses indicates stars from HQs.

SeGaTai: (★)★
    MrBody (★★)★
    Tayrun:
    Hippie: (★)★
    EvilBadman: (★)★

Resource Cards
    Deck -> 1. 31- One Coin -> 2. 17 - One Coins -> 3. 42 -Two Coins -> 4. 3 - One Coin -> Discard

Coin Cards Remaining: 9/10

Scars Cards
    All players except MrBody have a scar card.

Tayrun is up.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    In my 4th roll, you corrected that I got 2,2, not 2,1. That would mean the result changes from Attacker loses 2 to Both lose 1. I think then I have 5 surviving armies instead of 4.

Plus I maneuvered all but 1 back to 13. No way am I parking my forces in that ammo shortage death trap. Everyone knows there are no bullets in west Africa.

MrBody on
  • Options
    I think we're all up to speed now.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Hmm...by wiping him out instead of leaving him at 1, I basically gave him a free redeploy + 3 extra armies.

But I did get a shiny penny out of it!

MrBody on
  • Options
    Tayrun will start the game with four troops and no HQ next turn.

A player that rejoins the war does not get to recruit. You have put Tayrun at a considerable disadvantage this game, so you might have made yourself an enemy already.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Oh that's right, forgot you don't get to recruit if you rejoin.
    You have put Tayrun at a considerable disadvantage this game, so you might have made yourself an enemy already.

Crushed enemies, driven before you, lamenting women, etc.

• Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Perhaps I am a bit late, but might I recommend goldenrod for the Saharan Republic? Shows up well (enough) on the standard and classic color schemes and is closer to the original color choice.

Bitch I'm fabulous.

FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    HippieHippie Registered User regular
    It wont clash with my purple..?

• Options
    I'm upping the size of the font a decent amount in the next update. It should be easy to tell pink and purple apart.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Well, my objectives just clarified.

Rejoin in territory 11.

Attack 13, playing Ammo Shortage - You may use this prior to an attack roll. Place this on the defending territory as long as it's unscarred. The defender in this territory subtracts one from its highest defense roll.

Attack 5 4 4
    Defense 5(4) 3

5 vs 4, 4 vs 3. Attacker kills two. Territory 11: 4 units. Territory 13: 3 units.

Attack 5 5 2
    Defense 6(5) 6 (you lucky bastard, saved from being thrown out of the game on a 1/36 chance)

Attacker loses two. 11: 2. 13: 3.

At this point I assumed Legacy used a rule I'm used to from a different edition of Risk, which turned out not to be the case, so the rolls look a little odd but are correct.

Attack 3
    Defense first unit 2(1)
    Defense second unit 4(3)

Attacker loses one. 11: 1 13: 2.

Attack ends. Turn ends.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Tayrun wrote: »
    Defense 6(5) 6 (you lucky bastard, saved from being thrown out of the game on a 1/36 chance)

1/12

It's going to take more than washed up Blackwater mercs to throw out genetically modified Davy Crocketts.

MrBody on
  • Options
    MrBody wrote: »

1/12

It's going to take more than washed up Blackwater mercs to throw out genetically modified Davy Crocketts.

How are you looking at two dice and saying that the probability of them both being a 6 is 1 in 12?

• Options
    1st die had to be a 6 due to the scar card, 2nd die could be either 5 or a 6. So I think that actually gives you 1/18.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    1st die had to be a 6 due to the scar card, 2nd die could be either 5 or a 6. So I think that actually gives you 1/18.

Yeah this is accurate. I was simply annoyed at seeing 6, 6 after being taken out of the game before I had a turn. *sigh*

• Options
    I get the feeling we are supposed to be much more meta with this game and not get bogged down w/ winning the 1st game as much.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Not winning I'm fine with. I'm still enjoying that CitOW game where I'm getting pasted!

Getting taken out before my first turn so I have nothing at all to do while y'all wrap this up? That's a grudge right there.

• Options
    Why did you target the more heavily defended HQ instead of going after his 1st one.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    If he chooses to leave me in the game by not attacking me next turn, I have nothing to do for the rest of this game as I don't get to recruit.

However because I'm in South America, if he never attacks me he will never get the continent bonus.

TL;DR: Spite.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    SeGaTai wrote: »

Attacker would have lost 2 on a 6 6, 5 6, or 6 5. Anyone one of those would give 5 5 or better, allowing the defender to win both. The ammo shortage applies to the highest die, not the first one rolled.

1/12

This is only one out of fifteen games. Seems like they're designed to each be a lot faster than traditional game of Risk. Just go balls out and have fun as the mutants and missiles and who knows what start flying because the next game is right around the corner.

And I guess if anything it teaches us not to place a starting location right next to the faction with a super aggressive power when they get to go before you. I mean I had two separate factors that would give me a significant advantage for one battle. It would be silly not to go all out at the start when everyone is concentrated in a single territory.
    If he chooses to leave me in the game by not attacking me next turn, I have nothing to do for the rest of this game as I don't get to recruit.

There really isn't an additional penalty to being taken out other than standard combat losses. If you're not taken out you get +3 armies no matter what (giving you a total of 4 minimum), if you are taken out you get a total of 4 and a redeploy. As far as I can tell HQs don't give you any benefit but a red star and +1 army for Kahn. You can still recruit without them.

MrBody on