As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Company of Heroes] scratching Helmut's new paint job (Mediterranean Front confirmed)

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Well, this is very exciting.

A simplified version of the best Close Combat game with an excellent physics engine?

Sign me up. The Eastern Front mod for CoH is very well done, but all the same,
    Hurrah!
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I am so happy right now, probably one of the only times since a long time I've ever been enthused about a WW2 game being announced. Best of all, to whoever it was I had the argument about Russians being added to CoH and Relic not doing it because Russia didn't count as "Heroes" (yes, they were that retarded) SUCK IT DOWN.

I so hope the T-34 tank driver shits his pants half as well as the Sherman tank driver does when he sees a tiger tank. Really looking forward to this game, I always and I mean *always* wanted Russians in CoH. Now I've finally got what I wanted!
    I hope they note that until the later years of the war the T-34 was actually superior to the German (and allied) alternatives. It began falling behind the German tanks towards the end.

The spunky T-34 aside briefly, how great would it be to reenact Zinoviy Kolobanov at Krasnogvardeysk, and knock out 43 German tanks with 5 Soviet KVs? That would be a very fun mission.

Likewise, you could just as easily create similar missions for the German campaign (assuming there will be one at some point, I'd be surprised otherwise), especially with the introduction of the Tiger.

EDIT: I'm speaking of singleplayer of course. In multiplayer, the vehicles themselves could be adjusted for balance ignoring historical realities (like early T-34s having horribly unreliable cross-country performance or pretty much every late-war German tank being chronically short of fuel) that might otherwise add some very nice flavor in SP.

Synthesis on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Synthesis wrote: »

A simplified version of the best Close Combat game with an excellent physics engine?

Hurrah!
    I am so happy right now, probably one of the only times since a long time I've ever been enthused about a WW2 game being announced. Best of all, to whoever it was I had the argument about Russians being added to CoH and Relic not doing it because Russia didn't count as "Heroes" (yes, they were that retarded) SUCK IT DOWN.

I so hope the T-34 tank driver shits his pants half as well as the Sherman tank driver does when he sees a tiger tank. Really looking forward to this game, I always and I mean *always* wanted Russians in CoH. Now I've finally got what I wanted!
    I hope they note that until the later years of the war the T-34 was actually superior to the German (and allied) alternatives. It began falling behind the German tanks towards the end.

The spunky T-34 aside briefly, how great would it be to reenact Zinoviy Kolobanov at Krasnogvardeysk, and knock out 43 German tanks with 5 Soviet KVs? That would be a very fun mission.

Likewise, you could just as easily create similar missions for the German campaign (assuming there will be one at some point, I'd be surprised otherwise), especially with the introduction of the Tiger.

EDIT: I'm speaking of singleplayer of course. In multiplayer, the vehicles themselves could be adjusted for balance ignoring historical realities (like early T-34s having horribly unreliable cross-country performance or pretty much every late-war German tank being chronically short of fuel) that might otherwise add some very nice flavor in SP.
    Simplified version of Close Combat? Knocking out 43 tanks with 5 KV tanks? Sounds like you just want to play Men of War instead.

TychoCelchuuu on

Hurrah!

Simplified version of Close Combat? Knocking out 43 tanks with 5 KV tanks? Sounds like you just want to play Men of War instead.

I have, actually (though not recently, I'll admit), and I have preferred CoH personally. It's a little hard to put my finger on it, but something about the interface along with the physics and polish put CoH over it (though MoW's settings are perhaps more interesting to me personally).

• PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The game is now featured on the STEAM Store, although it hasn't been confirmed if it's being integrated with STEAMWORKS. I remember the automatch feature for DoW2:Retribution took some time to find players, what do you guys think of it? Would STEAMWORKS be a better alternative than Relic Online?

edit: GameReplay's analysis of Company of Heroes 2's Press Release:
    A sequel to its critically acclaimed strategy game Company of Heroes® is scheduled to be taking gamers to the frozen frontlines of war in Russia in early 2013.
    Danny Bilson of THQ stated;
    “We are excited to announce a sequel to one of THQ’s best loved properties. Company of Heroes 2 will deliver an amazing strategy experience along with a strong post-launch digital content plan that enhances and expands the product’s lifecycle.”

A strong post-launch digital content plan can only mean one thing- DLC is coming to CoH 2.
    Powered by the new Essence 3.0 Engine, Company of Heroes 2 features incredible graphic fidelity and cutting-edge technology.

There can be no doubt any longer- a brand new engine, never seen before, is being developed for the sequel. Bringing features such as TrueSight, a fog of war dynamic which means you can never see more than what your troops see, and a mryiad of smoke and snow effects, CoH 2 will no doubt be an aesthetic feat.

The vicious online combat that thousands of gamers enjoy every day with the original Company of Heroes is bigger than ever featuring competitive and co-operative modes that deliver the intense experiences that fans have come to expect.

Co-op multiplayer gameplay, and expanded competetive multiplayer!
    It’s time to enlist! Join the official Company of Heroes 2 forums and become a part of one of the most exciting RTS communities around! Be the first to hear about official news, participate in community events, join others on the field of battle in organized tournaments, and even have opportunities to win some sweet Company of Heroes 2 swag.

As if an expanded multiplayer wasn't enough, Relic are seeking to create a vibrant community with tournaments and prizes. Will this mean that Company of Heroes 2 will be seeking to become a regular among the rosters of E-Sports? Only time will tell!

http://www.gamereplays.org/companyofheroes/portals.php?show=news&news_id=881688

Prisca on
    Is there any sign Relic is giving up on their own matchmaking system, etc.?

I mean, my own experiences with it were pretty bad, but they did seem to put a lot of work into it.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I play CoH and DoW2. There is no difference between the time Steamworks and Relic online in auto matching. They both take long times.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    they might do the tiger versus column of t-34s thing

see if you can get more than 22 out of 50

obF2Wuw.png
    Either way, so long as it doesn't have the clusterfuck excuse for AI in Wargames: EE.

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    *catches up on the news*

oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god OH MY GOD oh my god oh my god

I wasn't expecting this

I wasn't ready for this

Relic jesus you gotta give a guy some warning

Day. One.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • KamiKami Registered User regular
    Cannot WAIT

Now I need to reinstall all of my CoH titles and replay the campaigns <3<3

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Im always down for some matches or comp stomps! I need to practice with the Axis.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    So, All of the CoH games are about $2-$4 this weekend. Obviously, Offensive Fronts is a must for the campaign and factions, but what about Tales of Valor?

I would go with all of them. I have them all on my account but lost a cd key so I don't think they all show on steam for me.

I wanna get on a 3v3 or 2v2, need more people to play with! I need to do some comp stomps and get better with Axis as well.

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Is there any sign Relic is giving up on their own matchmaking system, etc.?

I mean, my own experiences with it were pretty bad, but they did seem to put a lot of work into it.

I think the last Dawn of War expansion was all Steam all the time. They ditched GFWL I believe, so there's a precedent.

COH2 is the game that I will build a new rig for. I've had my current one for a few years, this is the game that deserves the full lustre.

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    It does look like they've kept the super sweet explosions.

Also the tractors.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    edited May 2012
    I would go with all of them. I have them all on my account but lost a cd key so I don't think they all show on steam for me.

I wanna get on a 3v3 or 2v2, need more people to play with! I need to do some comp stomps and get better with Axis as well.

Sorry if I sounded pissy on that last match. Though if I had just kept pumping out tanks, engis, and storm troopers, you wouldn't have made it in the inner part of the map and my engi's would just keep repairing the base. We would be floating in time forever in a deadlock that knew no end.

Kadoken on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I really thought to myself "I would love to play this", then realized even if I had a PC for games (will by the time CoH 2 comes out!) the obscenely painful patching process of the game would drive be bananas and decided not to try.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I don't remember any of the DoW2 patches being the ~4gb ones that CoH got. I would be pretty surprised if Relic unlearnt that lesson!

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    edited May 2012
    The default (non-steam) CoH patching process is the worst in existence. You need to download a number of sequential patches and install them in order (all the while hoping nothing goes wrong). It can be a pain in the ass to find the patches, find them in the right order, install them in the right order and then install the expansion on top - then install its patches in the right order. It is quite frankly, the most painful and worst patching process imaginable.

I wonder if I can use my CD key on steam and avoid the whole mess. Something to think about when I get my new PC in the next couple of months.

Aegeri on
    Non-Steam versions of CoH don't register on Steam, I don't think. But CoH 2 will likely be Steamworks so hooray.

• stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    COH 2... YES! SO EXCITED! Honestly I will have to build a new computer... so I better start saving.

Another thing I am happy about is that Relic still exists, especially after all the damage THQ has taken recently I just want Relic to pull through.

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
    The default (non-steam) CoH patching process is the worst in existence. You need to download a number of sequential patches and install them in order (all the while hoping nothing goes wrong). It can be a pain in the ass to find the patches, find them in the right order, install them in the right order and then install the expansion on top - then install its patches in the right order. It is quite frankly, the most painful and worst patching process imaginable.

I wonder if I can use my CD key on steam and avoid the whole mess. Something to think about when I get my new PC in the next couple of months.

You can also have the Relic patcher do it all for you.

Don't get me wrong, it's not an ideal solution, but it downloads and installs all the patches in the right order on its own.

So it's a little better.

edited May 2012
    I will give that a try whenever I get my new machine. If you guys are still around in 2 months I will definitely be up for some multiplayer. CoH is one of the only MP RTS games outside of Starcraft I ever enjoyed. Well, except for the fucking artillery strike bug on listening posts - that ruined the entire game right then and there. Did they ever fix that?

Aegeri on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    bp16.jpg

jkZziGc.png
    I will give that a try whenever I get my new machine. If you guys are still around in 2 months I will definitely be up for some multiplayer. CoH is one of the only MP RTS games outside of Starcraft I ever enjoyed. Well, except for the fucking artillery strike bug on listening posts - that ruined the entire game right then and there. Did they ever fix that?
    Not sure I ever heard of this. What was the bug?

It was a bug with the axis defensive doctrines ability to call down defensive artillery on a point being taken. Effectively, someone abusing it could call down artillery with only a one second cooldown, making their points practically invulnerable to being taken (as the artillery comes down very fast and is nearly impossible to avoid - especially when you don't realize they can do it continuously). The worst thing about this bug - aside from being obviously game breaking - was it persisted in the game for months. I stopped playing after trying to put up with it for a few months, never did check to see if they fixed it or not. Apparently they had a lot of problems making patches or something, so they couldn't effectively deal with it.

Thank god for steamworks, where they can patch things quickly and easily whenever they want.

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Pharezon you had better get this game on launch day. I still remember that V1 you dropped on me in a 1v1 about a thousand years ago or something that killed fifty guys and two shermans.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    A strong post-launch digital content plan can only mean one thing- DLC is coming to CoH 2.
    Which is pretty OK because Relic's DLC track record is fantastic.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I play CoH and DoW2. There is no difference between the time Steamworks and Relic online in auto matching. They both take long times.

The major part of the problem isn't the matchmaking system, it's just the size of the playerbase. You're never going to see DoW 2 wait times similar to those in SC2 simply because there's a LOT more people playing the latter consistently (and they tend to ladder around 1v1, as opposed to DoW 2's being split mainly between competitive 1v1 / 2v2 / 3v3 ranked, and half the playerbase playing Last Stand).

Which is basically my way of saying I'm hopeful that matchmaking times are going to be much better in CoH 2, assuming it takes off.

It was a bug with the axis defensive doctrines ability to call down defensive artillery on a point being taken. Effectively, someone abusing it could call down artillery with only a one second cooldown, making their points practically invulnerable to being taken (as the artillery comes down very fast and is nearly impossible to avoid - especially when you don't realize they can do it continuously). The worst thing about this bug - aside from being obviously game breaking - was it persisted in the game for months. I stopped playing after trying to put up with it for a few months, never did check to see if they fixed it or not. Apparently they had a lot of problems making patches or something, so they couldn't effectively deal with it.

Thank god for steamworks, where they can patch things quickly and easily whenever they want.
    Weird, maybe it was either before my time or after I quit. In any case, there was a vast swathe of CoH time when this bug didn't exist.

• iowaiowa Registered User regular
    me, sirtoons, and now lemming have been playing coh opposing fronts for the next few days until diablo 3 anyway hit me up on steam if you wanna play
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/iowa

• CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    Gonna buy it

Gonna play it

Gonna shoutcast it

Hopefully gonna love it

I will do all of these things. I would be interested in doing at least another dual cast too, TC.

bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular

Weird, maybe it was either before my time or after I quit. In any case, there was a vast swathe of CoH time when this bug didn't exist.

I thought "1 second artillery" was a bug surrounding one of the American Infantry doctrine's off map abilities? I do remember making a quip or two about it during the 30 or so Shoutcasts I did for the game. It's been yeeeeaaaars, though, so I may be incorrect.

bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Squeeeeeeeeee

• MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Can't wait for this, me and a bud of mine wrecked house on this since day one and loved it until recent years.

There were many game breaking bugs here and there, so hopefully they are more on the ball on fixing shit. That and balance fixing. I think the worst late game crap that drove me nuts was the panzer car that wiped out whole squads of infantry because it's cannon was overpowered.

Ugh I want to play CoH again but I know that what's left of the playerbase is probably turrible.

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
    Not really, I play every night and can't complain about players.

The_Scarab wrote: »
    Pharezon you had better get this game on launch day. I still remember that V1 you dropped on me in a 1v1 about a thousand years ago or something that killed fifty guys and two shermans.

Oh, memories. Now I shall punch through your lines with the might of the people.

jkZziGc.png
    26292433.26292433.20031124Brestp.jpg

edited May 2012
    Gonna buy it

Gonna play it

Gonna shoutcast it

Hopefully gonna love it

I will do all of these things. I would be interested in doing at least another dual cast too, TC.

fuuuuuckkkkk yesssss

shit you know what, you and me can be the next Tales of Heroes.

TychoCelchuuu on