As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A [chat] Unlike Any Other

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Fuckin' Bibi is gonna make a run on the elections in September.

I'm torn, because on the one hand it's gonna be five more years of that douche running Israel. On the other hand, it looks like IB is gonna be relegated to irrelevance, so that's a small improvement, if only because it means Avigdor Lieberman will be kicked to the curb.
    you can buy my vote for $75
    Why would I do that? You're just going to vote for one of the Arab minority parties or one of the hippie Jewish parties, anyway. :bz
    you mistake me, thanatos

i may be a liberal, but i am also a greedy jew

i would gladly vote for the most settler-expanding, arab-hating, abominable piece of shit in the levant if it gave me more leverage to sell my vote :c
    I would believe a lot of you, Chu, but I don't think you could actually bring yourself to vote for Lieberman (which is who you're describing, minus the "settler-expanding"). You talk about him the way I talk about James Dobson.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    bwd6p.jpg

This is excellent.
    That is a fantastic mug.

I dunno - I am not a fan of mugs that you cannot attack from all sides.

But it's so useful! I'm always wanting a cookie with my tea but have no where to put it.

Lh96QHG.png
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Feral wrote: »
    Also: I not only want to have sex with Scarlett Johannsen, but pretty much all of the Avengers, including Bruce Banner, and Robin Sherbatzky made an especially sexy SHIELD agent.

The actress playing Maria Hill also looked ... uh ... commanding.

It kinda surprised me just how well they balanced all the team members screentime and how the script gives everyone the chance to shine. Maybe Thor was the team member the film was least interested in, but really, an amazing job all round. Very, very entertaining.

apparently over 350,000 americans with masters degrees are on welfare
    Their problem is that they just haven't gotten out there and gotten the necessary experience to find a job.

They just need to take an unpaid internship for a few years, until a company finally decides to take pity on them and start paying them out of the goodness of their hearts.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

I'm torn, because on the one hand it's gonna be five more years of that douche running Israel. On the other hand, it looks like IB is gonna be relegated to irrelevance, so that's a small improvement, if only because it means Avigdor Lieberman will be kicked to the curb.
    Why would I do that? You're just going to vote for one of the Arab minority parties or one of the hippie Jewish parties, anyway. :bz
    you mistake me, thanatos

i would gladly vote for the most settler-expanding, arab-hating, abominable piece of shit in the levant if it gave me more leverage to sell my vote :c
    I would believe a lot of you, Chu, but I don't think you could actually bring yourself to vote for Lieberman (which is who you're describing, minus the "settler-expanding"). You talk about him the way I talk about James Dobson.

haha wait

excusing for a moment that you're right and i fucking hate lieberman who in my opinion is pretty much the closest to an evil dictator like hitler, stalin or pol pot to currently be highly placed in a first world country...

what do you mean you 'would believe a lot of [me]' :p

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    The Krugman/Ron Paul debate thing was hilarious.

What was more hilarious was when all the Paultards on the youtube comments thinking Ron Paul won it.

BUT THEY TOOK 22 DELEGATES IN NEVADA AND ROMNEY ONLY GOT 3!

Well, technically Romney got 6 total and 20 of the so-called Paul delegates have to vote for Romney in the 1st round of voting anyways (the only round that will matter) but yeah, keep pretending that it's a big deal!

OK WE WILL

Psn:wazukki
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    sigh

my wife wants to have newborn pics done

I think they're cheesy but whatever

and now she is like HALP ME PICK SOME HATS FOR HIS PICS

and sends me this http://www.etsy.com/listing/92499307/baby-boy-dinosaur-beanie-with-tail?ref=sr_gallery_42&ga_search_query=baby+boy+beanie&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=15&ga_search_type=all

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Hmmm...actually when you do the math that isn't that bad.

There are about 14 million people with a Masters in the US(2009 census estimate) so about 2.5% of them are on welfare. Just doing some quick estimates. Which only about a forth of those in the US on Welfare.

And since that can include any type of welfare even if they do not derive over 50% of their income it probably includes some teachers, social workers and non-profit folks.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    I don't understand US universities. How can you graduate before you know the results of your exams?

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    sigh

my wife wants to have newborn pics done

I think they're cheesy but whatever

and now she is like HALP ME PICK SOME HATS FOR HIS PICS

and sends me this http://www.etsy.com/listing/92499307/baby-boy-dinosaur-beanie-with-tail?ref=sr_gallery_42&ga_search_query=baby+boy+beanie&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=15&ga_search_type=all

that is the best

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Hmmm...actually when you do the math that isn't that bad.

There are about 14 million people with a Masters in the US(2009 census estimate) so about 2.5% of them are on welfare. Just doing some quick estimates. Which only about a forth of those in the US on Welfare.

And since that can include any type of welfare even if they do not derive over 50% of their income it probably includes some teachers, social workers and non-profit folks.

If it wasn't for Obama 100% of Masters students would get six figure jobs every month #hypeandblame

Lh96QHG.png
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    apparently over 350,000 americans with masters degrees are on welfare
    Their problem is that they just haven't gotten out there and gotten the necessary experience to find a job.

They just need to take an unpaid internship for a few years, until a company finally decides to take pity on them and start paying them out of the goodness of their hearts.

I just want to take this moment to remind everyone I work with that we shouldn't feel lucky to have jobs. We work hard for our jobs. We should be pissed off that others that worked hard at their jobs lost them through no fault of their own and nobody wants to give a shit.

This has been my weekly gripe about this issue.

Psn:wazukki
    i'm a master of slide guitar and i'm on welfare, it's bullshit

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    BobCesca wrote: »
    I don't understand US universities. How can you graduate before you know the results of your exams?

Yes. Either they have some kind of incredible turn around, or they are just guessing who gets what type of degree?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule

In mine you didn't. Graduation was the week after the exam. You apply to graduate so they know the numbers before the exam grades are in. But if you fail they don't give you the degree. Though most people by that point probably won't fail.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Yes. Either they have some kind of incredible turn around, or they are just guessing who gets what type of degree?

I assume they go with the Oprah method

you get a degree and you get a degree and you and you and you! get a degree!

bloodyroarxx on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Maria Hill is in the avengers? Huh.

We don't take four months to grade exams. *glares at University of Edinburgh staff*

Lh96QHG.png
    desc wrote: »
    Maria Hill is in the avengers? Huh.

Smallish part, but she helps balance out the mostly male cast.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

We don't take four months to grade exams. *glares at University of Edinburgh staff*

Four months? Was there some kind of mega cock up?

Marking, moderating and examiner meetings never took me more than two weeks from my last exam.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    The Avengers had pretty much the sexiest cast ever assembled.

I feel as though this is inarguable.

Winky wrote: »

i dunno, i've done some youtube videos

In mine you didn't. Graduation was the week after the exam. You apply to graduate so they know the numbers before the exam grades are in. But if you fail they don't give you the degree. Though most people by that point probably won't fail.

A week isn't really long enough to get all the scripts double marked, a sample sent off to the external examiner and the exam board held.

I think 3 weeks is the least time I've seen for this. And that was really hard work for everyone involved.

A guessing different exams than most of us are thinking. The type of degree you get is decided upon way before you graduate. So they know what you are getting before you take your final class exams.

There are no overarching exams for a degree.

u7stthr17eud.png

you mistake me, thanatos

haha wait

excusing for a moment that you're right and i fucking hate lieberman who in my opinion is pretty much the closest to an evil dictator like hitler, stalin or pol pot to currently be highly placed in a first world country...

:bz :bz :bz

Four months? Was there some kind of mega cock up?

Marking, moderating and examiner meetings never took me more than two weeks from my last exam.

Yes, there was a massive cock up.

Not that they'd admit it, we just got standard university "You should feel lucky to even be here" bullshit when we started lodging complaints.

Lh96QHG.png

you mistake me, thanatos

haha wait

:bz :bz :bz

the wedding's off

A guessing different exams than most of us are thinking. The type of degree you get is decided upon way before you graduate. So they know what you are getting before you take your final class exams.

I don't understand.

If you get the degree regardless of your exams, what are the exams for?

A week isn't really long enough to get all the scripts double marked, a sample sent off to the external examiner and the exam board held.

I think 3 weeks is the least time I've seen for this. And that was really hard work for everyone involved.

We are talking about completely different things. What you are describing doesn't really happen in the US for most bachelors. And actually doesn't happen for a masters either at most schools.

u7stthr17eud.png
    edited May 2012
    Bogart wrote: »
    Also: I not only want to have sex with Scarlett Johannsen, but pretty much all of the Avengers, including Bruce Banner, and Robin Sherbatzky made an especially sexy SHIELD agent.

It kinda surprised me just how well they balanced all the team members screentime and how the script gives everyone the chance to shine. Maybe Thor was the team member the film was least interested in, but really, an amazing job all round. Very, very entertaining.

Yeah, retrospectively I can't think of any fuck yes moments for Thor at all.

Even Hawkeye had a few "squealing fanboy" moments for me, when I had none for Thor.

Though I think Hawkeye was more badass for the fact that I wasn't expecting him to be so badass.

Winky on

Oh. All my exams counted between 50-80% of the final grade of each module. In my final year I think I had 5 or 6 modules.

Yeah, we also had out last classes and turn in dates like two weeks before graduation. We knew what our final grades were well before we walked in undergrad. The school's postgrad degrees followed similar schedules.

Lh96QHG.png
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Bah, at my undergraduate uni there was no guarantee I would be able to graduate in person when I started. Then, lo and behold, I lost the ballot and boy was I pissed off - five years of my life and I don't even get a chane to put on a silly gown and hat! Luckily a housemate pulled strings with the VC and I was allowed in

Freedom for the Northern Isles!

Needs more ladeez for balance. Statuesque blonde as Captain Marvel and we're good to go.

We are talking about completely different things. What you are describing doesn't really happen in the US for most bachelors. And actually doesn't happen for a masters either at most schools.

I will note that, at least for me, commencement =/= graduation. We got to take the walk and wear silly hats, but technically we haven't graduated until we get our paper in the mail in a week or two.

It's a lot of good looking men, yes, but in lady terms I feel you've not got much of a case.

I don't understand.

If you get the degree regardless of your exams, what are the exams for?

There are class finals which is what Mim and Winky are talking about. There is not a system graduation exams you take before you get your degree. You get a degree based on passing 4 years of classes and meeting requirements set by the school.

With a graduate(masters+2 and phd+4) there are different rules involving a thesis and with the phd comp boards and such. But that doesn't apply to undergraduate(standard 4 year) degrees.

Now like medical, law and other specialized fields have special licensing exams and boards you have to take but they are not part of receiving your degree.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I will note that, at least for me, commencement =/= graduation. We got to take the walk and wear silly hats, but technically we haven't graduated until we get our paper in the mail in a week or two.

I think this is how it works mostly everywhere in the US. The walking ceremony is not graduation. Therefore, it is possible to walk but not graduate.

It's a lot of good looking men, yes, but in lady terms I feel you've not got much of a case.

A little Scarlet Johannson and Gwyneth Paltrow goes a long way.

Bogart wrote: »

Yeah, retrospectively I can't think of any fuck yes moments for Thor at all.

Even Hawkeye had a few "squealing fanboy" moments for me, when I had none for Thor.

Though I think Hawkeye was more badass for the fact that I wasn't expecting him to be so badass.

Spoilers.
    he fought Hulk and Iron Man and Loki and had one excellent joke, but I think he's a tough character to make work and I am guessing he was lower on the totem pole of actors who had to be pleased.

This discussion has been closed.