As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Paradox Interactive] Divine Wind finally on Steam, NEW HoI3 expansion announced

• ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Debating killing my wife. I pressed her claim on the Duchy of Anjou but didn't realize she would go independent on me. Our son is her heir... If I make him landed, would he stay my vassal if she were to have a shaving accident?

I think so, as long as your title is King or higher.

Yep, so long as you're at least a King.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    - When you press the claim of a vassal ruler, he should now remain your vassal
    That being a bug explains so much.

I bought Crusader Kings 2 last week and I've been enjoying it. Though I think it's turned me evil. I'm playing the Kingdom of Georgia starting in 1066, and I just had my firstborn son murdered to inherit his claim on the Kingdom of England.

One of us! One of us!

And I managed to get myself murdered by the Queen of the Cumans for all my trouble of being a Tyrant and Kinslayer.

It might be time to be less evil.

If violence didn't solve your problems you merely didn't use enough. The real lesson here would have been to kill the queen.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Comradebot wrote: »
    Debating killing my wife. I pressed her claim on the Duchy of Anjou but didn't realize she would go independent on me. Our son is her heir... If I make him landed, would he stay my vassal if she were to have a shaving accident?

I am.

Actually, it didn't work at first when I just made him a baron. I made him a duke and then it worked.

I am.

Actually, it didn't work at first when I just made him a baron. I made him a duke and then it worked.

I'm not 100% sure, but they may have changed it so you can't give a single barony to someone and then keep them as a duke vassal after pressing their claims in order to cut down on how ridiculously easy that is to use to gain land.

In other news, my Norse Norway game is still chugging along (though messages about refused calls to war have bugged out in the message system.... but what to you expect this many patches from when I actually started?). Still, I've pushed the HRE out of Lithuania completely, and Rus is down to a couple of holdings in Lithuania and a few in Finland, though a recently conquered vassal of mine has claims on Karelia, so I'll press em' and push Rus out of everything Finnish except Estonia...

Then I just need to beat a crumbling England for Mecklenburg, and I'll just be a fabricated Duchy claim away from beating the HRE down again and founding Pomerania. Then I can spend the rest of the game pushing Norse throughout de jure Pomerania and looking for opportunities to put Norse kings and queens on other thrones. I will then post screenshots all over the interwebs in the name of The Allfather.

ck2_52.jpg

Amazing what you can do down there when the Caliphate isn't kicking you in the nuts every three seconds... for a total of six seconds of nut kicking before you see "game over".

• Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure how many of you guys are using it, but the Crusader Kings 2 Plus mod adds a metric fucktonne of content, including the ability to form new empires, for example, the Empire of Britannia, which I am currently in the process of making. :D

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm not 100% sure, but they may have changed it so you can't give a single barony to someone and then keep them as a duke vassal after pressing their claims in order to cut down on how ridiculously easy that is to use to gain land.

There was a lot of back and forth. I think the 1.05d patch made it so they had to be in your dynasty or you would be their de jure liege, per the tooltip, but in 1.05e they changed it so they just had to be landed. My understanding was that could be any landed title (ie, baron), but I don't know. It could either have been a bug, or something to do with the pressed claim being a higher title. I don't doubt it'll change again.

I personally think there should be no landed requirements. My payment for helping you become lord of your claim is you will be my vassal. Why else would I help you? (other than to weaken the other side, but still) But either way, once you're king of a couple of kingdoms, there's really on shortage of titles to throw around. I've lost count of how many vassals I've had to create.
    though messages about refused calls to war have bugged out in the message system.... but what to you expect this many patches from when I actually started?

The 1.05e patch broke something with some messages, so I expect a 1.05f hotfix soon.

Lord_Snot wrote: »
    I'm not sure how many of you guys are using it, but the Crusader Kings 2 Plus mod adds a metric fucktonne of content, including the ability to form new empires, for example, the Empire of Britannia, which I am currently in the process of making. :D

I've tried it out, wasn't overly thrilled. For every awesome feature he's added in (and should be added into the vanilla game, like navigable Indian Ocean), he's also done some things that just bug the living hell out of me, like remove attrition, the silly "white peace results in independence!" rule, and sieges only taking a fraction of the time. Sieges were long, drawn out affairs, no reason that shouldn't be the case.

And I'm on the fence about how he handled combat. I like that there's more tactics and it makes battles a little less predictable, but on the other side of it there's some serious wonkiness where you'll have one flank charge another, and the other two flanks are still in skirmish phase while their buddies get massacred. Just annoying to lose a fight because your people are too stupid to realize "Hey, maybe we should charge and crush this smaller flank so we can help our buddies out who are getting overwhelmed in close combat?"

Despite some of its awesome features, there's just enough there to leave a bad taste in my mouth. I'm all for improving CKII, but there's certain things he's tried to improve that didn't need it.

• FarleymanFarleyman Registered User regular
    That's why I prefer Bella Gerant Alii, because it doesn't add so much to the game, and so has less chance of doing it wrong, basically. That said, I still had to change a few things myself but much less than if I'd of gone with CK2+.

steam_sig.png
    Farleyman wrote: »
    That's why I prefer Bella Gerant Alii, because it doesn't add so much to the game, and so has less chance of doing it wrong, basically. That said, I still had to change a few things myself but much less than if I'd of gone with CK2+.

I should give it a shot... but honestly, 1.05 has been pretty sweet so far. With that said, there's definitely things that PI should take from mods and implement into the vanilla game (like navigable Indian Ocean, some of the events/traits in CK2+ and most certainly its Crown Authority change, Basilica Tribuo has overhauled religion in a wonderful way, and the North African Expansion mod is nothing short of awesome.)

Unfortunately, I don't know how to do all of that myself... so I'll just stick with vanilla for the time being.

Okay, so... thought I was about to lose Sanaa for a minute. Hormuz declared a holy war for it, bringing in a couple of other ex-Seljuk allies. Meanwhile, the ERE is busy fighting its own war with the rest of the Sunni world.

I mass my troops in Bayda, Hormuz shows up with all nearly 9k of their troops to attack Kathiri. I figured before they even get to Kathiri to mass up in Bayda. It's mountainous, it's the only way into the rest of my lands, and Hormuz will probably lose some troops trying to siege Kathiri first.

Turns out, I was really right about that last part. Dunno what their supply limit was, but they were down to 7k and dropping fast by the time they finished their first siege. Starving and dehydrated, they were forced to march onwards into my waiting army... I had about a 2k advantage when they finally arrived, and the high ground to boot. Still a tougher fight than I would've liked, but we chased them back to Kathiri, smashed them again, quickly assaulted the couple dozen or so guys holding our castle, and then followed them back into Bayda... and just as Birjand and Merv's force's were showing up, we beat Hormuz's army again...

And captured the Beylerbey. War ends, I get a crap ton of gold, and now I don't have to worry about Hormuz for a wee bit... maybe a wee bit longer if this jerk will ask to be put under house arrest. He's only in his mid-20s, I wouldn't mind a few decades of Hormuz being a non-factor.

Hah, best day ever: Find out my wife is pregnant again, AND the Beylerbey of Hormuz asks for better conditions.

I hope he lives to be 100, he's just that swell of a guy.

• gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    So I decided to abandon my very first game (King of Georgia 1066) since I'd done some save scumming and restart.

I'm about 40 years in and I've reclaimed all of de jure Georgia, taken the duchy of Alania, converted to Catholicism, and put my wife on the throne of Abyssnia. Now to just help her hold it until my son can claim it.

My eventual goal is to be King of Jerusalem. So far the First Crusade failed. :(

So, my Nubian game is going swimmingly.

Finally got a second crack at the Caliphate, and it was a much better opportunity. My first war against em' I called when they tried to Jihad the Pope out of Jerusalem. The Pope remembered, apparently, and called a Crusade for Egypt (aka, all that's left of the Shia Caliphate... other than Achaia). I promptly called my own Holy War for Aswan, for that single damn county. Thankfully, the Caliph conceded around the same time 3/4s of my army lay dead under the Egyptian sun and Arabia Felix came calling for Sanaa. Marched my crumbling army back into Nubia, disbanded/re-called em' up (which still left me at about half strength) and managed to fight Arabia Felix to a white peace.

I then spent literally the next decade doing fuck all, as my levies slowly rebuilt and my vassals slowly forgave me for the ridiculously long war I called over a single piece of desert. But a decade is a magical number in CKII, and one of those later at the Crusade for Egypt was still going on. I'd been closely watching, and even the Caliph couldn't muster up more than 6k troops anymore due to the silly length of the war.

Truce expired, my vassals had (almost) forgiven me for the previous war... and declared a Holy War for Cairo.

Hail to the King (of (Glorious) Nubia) baby.
    ck2_53.jpg

Also, my reliance on foreign alliances has created some accidental racism. Eastern Africa is now populated by people who look like the native population (so they should be black, but look oddly Middle-Eastern in-game due to PI laziness), but the ruling family is a bunch of white people. My King's white, and so far all of his kids have grown up to be white (though some had the "Middle-Eastern child" pictures before coming of age). Apparently, racism is the real key to Ethiopian survival. Ironic, I know.

But at this point, I think I've mostly insured my survival. The biggest threat now will be the Sunni, and the fact that all of em' north of me are both Sunni AND of the Seljuk dynasty. It was the Caliphate that terrified me, and I just slapped six mostly awesome counties out of their grasp and into mine. Heck, if I'm lucky they'll lose the Crusade. I'd much rather have the Super Pope to my north than a bunch of Muslims looking for any sign that now would be a good time to kill me.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Hmm, Paradox doesn't seem to handle really high windowed resolutions well, and I'd rather not run fullscreen because of the mp game...

Hmm, Paradox doesn't seem to handle really high windowed resolutions well, and I'd rather not run fullscreen because of the mp game...

Why can't you run fullscreen when playing MP? Do you just like to see us all cuddled up together in that vent room?

Well if I alt-tab for any reason I seem to drop everyone

Well if I alt-tab for any reason I seem to drop everyone

Really? That's incredibly bizarre.

Yeah, it was causing issues when we first started playing, so I switched to windowed, which doesn't seem nearly as bad about it

• EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    Who runs a Paradox game full-screen? Of the 4 major ones I own, each is played in windowed so I can forum-read whilst waiting for something to happen (sounds prompts are great). I get to keep up to date on the forums WITHOUT losing time to play!

Am I right in my thought that managing elective succession for a Kingdom with 5 duchies isn't worth the trouble?

Because I succeeded in my goal to become King of Jerusalem in the 3rd Crusade, but I had to change succession of one of my Kingdoms to Gavelkind (Sicily) and consolidate power into one Duke in another (Georgia), so that I could keep all 3 of my titles together.

I'm just glad my two titular titles don't have their own succession laws.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    In other paradox related news, Magna Mundi, the EU3 mod turned full game that turns all of it up to 11 (Complicated systems to simulate everything) has gotten a release date of June 30th. While there never was an official release date, this is later than expected and probably caused by finding a lot of bugs after they submitted it to paradox initially in february.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    So I'm guessing the reason I can't press my wife's claim on France is because they currently have agnatic succession?

So I'm guessing the reason I can't press my wife's claim on France is because they currently have agnatic succession?

Yup

edited May 2012

Yup

Bastards

I even killed all of the king's sons and everything!

Does the AI even change that in any logical way?

Sir Carcass on
    It's pretty rare for the AI to ever change its succession laws

I may just have to edit the save file and assume he changed it after his sons all had shaving accidents on the same day.

That seems odd to me, though. I mean, I guess it makes some sense, but if she has a claim to begin with, it should be able to be pressed, I think. I'm not exactly asking the lords for permission.

jdarksun wrote: »
    Am I right in my thought that managing elective succession for a Kingdom with 5 duchies isn't worth the trouble?

Because I succeeded in my goal to become King of Jerusalem in the 3rd Crusade, but I had to change succession of one of my Kingdoms to Gavelkind (Sicily) and consolidate power into one Duke in another (Georgia), so that I could keep all 3 of my titles together.

I'm just glad my two titular titles don't have their own succession laws.
    Just as heads up (though I'm sure you already know this), Gavelkind will cause your heir to lose control of parts of Sicily. It's a risky inheritance scheme, because it means only having one heir or having to reconsolidate power every cycle.

For Elective... assuming your ruler has desirable traits (male, virtuous attributes, high diplomacy, male heir), you manage your vassals well (dukes with one duchy that own all their counties, no ambitious dukes), and your ruler gets the long reign bonus, most of the electors tend to fall in line with your decisions.

I only control a single county in Sicily, so my understanding is that it'll go with the title. My core holdings are still in Georgia, which is why I doubled up a Duke so that there were only 2 elector titles allowing me to always win. And there was no way I could raise Crown Authority to High and change succession to Primogeniture without half my vassals revolting.

As for falling in line, I wish that had been the case. My character had 5 sons and I gave all of them land to placate them, but they all decided amongst themselves to vote for a different brother than the one I wanted. And not even the oldest brother! I had to swap my vote for Georgia in order to keep my titles together.

For my current character, the Dukes were literally changing their minds every couple weeks, forcing me to change my other votes around to keep my titles together. The Crusade managed to keep them together, but since then I've been fighting off a revolt about every year or so.

I really wish there was a way to get an Emperor title that's easier than trying to tangle with the Byzantine Empire. I swapped my primary title to King of Jerusalem, so eventually three of my other duchies will incorporate into it and I'll have to swap it to Gavelkind too.

I may just have to edit the save file and assume he changed it after his sons all had shaving accidents on the same day.

That seems odd to me, though. I mean, I guess it makes some sense, but if she has a claim to begin with, it should be able to be pressed, I think. I'm not exactly asking the lords for permission.

Eh, this is pretty reasonable I think. Agnatic means females can't gain the title, it's derived from Salic laws and would be seen as illegitimate if they did. A claim war is someone with a supposedly legitimate claim fighting for it. And historically, France had kings with no male heirs and they didn't pick their daughters.

You can actually usurp against the succession laws (Empress of the Holy Roman Empire is funny), but that might be a bug

Oh, and has anyone tried the Ruler Designer? Does it let you pick a non-Christian religion? I assume it doesn't, but I thought I might ask.

I'm trying to decide if I want my next game to be Norse or if I want to play as Saladin.

Eh, this is pretty reasonable I think. Agnatic means females can't gain the title, it's derived from Salic laws and would be seen as illegitimate if they did. A claim war is someone with a supposedly legitimate claim fighting for it. And historically, France had kings with no male heirs and they didn't pick their daughters.

You can actually usurp against the succession laws (Empress of the Holy Roman Empire is funny), but that might be a bug

But France is so big and I want it

I mainly just want to press the claim so I can pass it to my heir.
    Oh, and has anyone tried the Ruler Designer? Does it let you pick a non-Christian religion? I assume it doesn't, but I thought I might ask.

I'm trying to decide if I want my next game to be Norse or if I want to play as Saladin.

I want to say you can, but I haven't tried that specifically. I'll check it out tonight if I think about it.

• mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    In CK2 can you play as the Pope. I want to be Pope for a day (or a decade)

Nope

Okay, I just checked. You can set your ethnicity to anything you want, but not religion or culture. Only the playable ones for that (though I'm sure that can be modded).

Okay, I just checked. You can set your ethnicity to anything you want, but not religion or culture. Only the playable ones for that (though I'm sure that can be modded).

Thanks. I guess I'll have to fiddle with save games to play as Saladin. And either do that or have my heir raised by a Pagan to play as Norse.

Or, even better, I could play as a Norse Saladin. That would be silly, yet awesome.

• Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    Goddamnit Comradebot, you're making me and my glorious Axumite Empire jealous.

So I'm reading this RPS interview about CK2. One interesting thing I just came across:
    RPS: Was the decision not to allow control of Pagan and Muslim factions driven by a reluctance to impose the Christian dynastic model on those families?

Fåhraeus: In part yes, although the Muslim Iqta system could probably be shoehorned into the rough model of feudalism. There was a clear trend towards hereditary land holdings in the Muslim world too. It’s perhaps not so much about the dynastic model as such, but more an issue of adapting graphics and text to provide the right kind of immersion.

Of course, we also think playing a Muslim or Pagan deserves some unique new gameplay mechanics, such as polygamy. Most importantly though, it was never part of our ambition – we just wanted to do everything the original CK did, only better.

RPS: Is there any intention to provide a full treatment of those factions through DLC?

Fåhraeus: Yes. (smiles)

• VicVic Registered User regular
    There are some regions in this game I would like to play in, such as Russia, but I really don't want to fight extended inland campaigns. Attrition is incredibly powerful in this game. In my game as Serbia/Egypt I tried to invade an inland part of Arabia, and I eventually had to give up even though I had about 80k men against their 20-30k.

I guess I could do a Norse religion campaign, but I am still not sure how to get heathens to join my court.

Ugh, the Mongols just appeared. And I haven't really had time for my forces to truly recover from winning Egypt in the Fourth Crusade.

I'm looking for advice. Should I declare war on them and zerg down their 80k troops? My max levies are around 70k and I have the piety for 21k worth of Holy Orders.

Alternatively, the Byzantine Empire has expanded southeast and cut off my holdings in Georgia from my holdings in the Middle East, preventing me from ever connecting them. So should I leave the Mongols alone and hope they push the Byzantine Empire far enough back that I can take that land?

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    If I remember mongol mechanics correctly they come with initial stacks that don't ever reinforce, and then quickly start gaining regular troops the regular way. If you cut off those big stacks to the point where they can't easily conquer stuff, they can become a nonissue.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK