As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A [chat] Unlike Any Other

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    BobCesca wrote: »
    I don't understand US universities. How can you graduate before you know the results of your exams?

In mine you didn't. Graduation was the week after the exam. You apply to graduate so they know the numbers before the exam grades are in. But if you fail they don't give you the degree. Though most people by that point probably won't fail.

I think at our university you got to walk if you were on your "last" semester even if you didn't pass your final exams. Your tube was just empty.

Although I don't really know because I was an exceptional student :]

919UOwT.png
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    I don't understand US universities. How can you graduate before you know the results of your exams?

In mine you didn't. Graduation was the week after the exam. You apply to graduate so they know the numbers before the exam grades are in. But if you fail they don't give you the degree. Though most people by that point probably won't fail.

A week isn't really long enough to get all the scripts double marked, a sample sent off to the external examiner and the exam board held.

I think 3 weeks is the least time I've seen for this. And that was really hard work for everyone involved.

We are talking about completely different things. What you are describing doesn't really happen in the US for most bachelors. And actually doesn't happen for a masters either at most schools.

Oh.

I think I understand the US system even less than I thought I did.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Foreign university systems make no sense. This is the conclusion I've reached.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Yes. Either they have some kind of incredible turn around, or they are just guessing who gets what type of degree?

A guessing different exams than most of us are thinking. The type of degree you get is decided upon way before you graduate. So they know what you are getting before you take your final class exams.

There are no overarching exams for a degree.

Oh. All my exams counted between 50-80% of the final grade of each module. In my final year I think I had 5 or 6 modules.

Grades are due usually a week after the final exams are taken. Like I got my grades for my finals for my undergrad 2 days before graduation.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    The Avengers had pretty much the sexiest cast ever assembled.

I feel as though this is inarguable.

Needs more ladeez for balance. Statuesque blonde as Captain Marvel and we're good to go.

This betrays my earliest influences when I immediately thought "Captain Marvel has black hair. And is a Man."

Speaking of the Funvee made manifest, I rather liked the Bum Review of it.
    He actually broke character to gush about it.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

Yes. Either they have some kind of incredible turn around, or they are just guessing who gets what type of degree?

A guessing different exams than most of us are thinking. The type of degree you get is decided upon way before you graduate. So they know what you are getting before you take your final class exams.

I don't understand.

If you get the degree regardless of your exams, what are the exams for?

if you fail the exam- and that affects your overall grade in that class such that you don't receive a passing grade- and you needed to pass that class, you aren't awarded your degree.

You should try looking at the Japanese system. Where once you are in they cannot fail you. You are basically guaranteed a degree after 4 years of partying.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I hate that I'm probably not going to be able to walk for my MSc because they do the ceremony in November and I'm going back to the US in August.

Lh96QHG.png
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Also: I not only want to have sex with Scarlett Johannsen, but pretty much all of the Avengers, including Bruce Banner, and Robin Sherbatzky made an especially sexy SHIELD agent.

The actress playing Maria Hill also looked ... uh ... commanding.

It kinda surprised me just how well they balanced all the team members screentime and how the script gives everyone the chance to shine. Maybe Thor was the team member the film was least interested in, but really, an amazing job all round. Very, very entertaining.

Yeah, retrospectively I can't think of any fuck yes moments for Thor at all.

Even Hawkeye had a few "squealing fanboy" moments for me, when I had none for Thor.

Though I think Hawkeye was more badass for the fact that I wasn't expecting him to be so badass.

Spoilers.
    he fought Hulk and Iron Man and Loki and had one excellent joke, but I think he's a tough character to make work and I am guessing he was lower on the totem pole of actors who had to be pleased.
    I also think it's difficult to make something badass by Thor standards. Like, basically Thor was used as a vehicle to prove how strong the other characters were. We got an idea of how tough the Hulk was based on how he went toe-to-toe for Thor. Likewise, when Loki was able to wound Thor that was a "shit got real" moment. So nothing Thor did was stand-out because, I mean, dude's a god we expected it.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

It's a lot of good looking men, yes, but in lady terms I feel you've not got much of a case.

A little Scarlet Johannson and Gwyneth Paltrow goes a long way.

Gwyneth Paltrow isn't really bringing world class sexy to the picture. ScarJo, unquestionably, and Maria Hill looked mighty fine, but they need something else. Maybe the Wasp, played by someone like Kate Beckinsdale.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular

You should try looking at the Japanese system. Where once you are in they cannot fail you. You are basically guaranteed a degree after 4 years of partying.

yeah, i was visiting my bro and he was telling me how crazy insane slackers the japanese people at kyoto u were
    they did not do diddly

poo

It's a lot of good looking men, yes, but in lady terms I feel you've not got much of a case.

Gwyneth Paltrow isn't really bringing world class sexy to the picture. ScarJo, unquestionably, and Maria Hill looked mighty fine, but they need something else. Maybe the Wasp, played by someone like Kate Beckinsdale.

I know of a pair of short-shorts that disagree with you.

How can you say that with Gwyneth in those shorts in the beginning.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Then again, Ms Marvel is a bit out there for the version of the Avengers they've got on screen. She can straight up fly, is super strong and absorbs energy and yeah she's not really operating in the same universe as Cap and Iron Man.

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Whoever put the SIM card in this RAZR put it in upside down.

Why.

Just don't install it if you're going to do it wrong!

Psn:wazukki

Oh. All my exams counted between 50-80% of the final grade of each module. In my final year I think I had 5 or 6 modules.

Grades are due usually a week after the final exams are taken. Like I got my grades for my finals for my undergrad 2 days before graduation.

UK Universities have a pretty stringent system of checks built in. So for exams and essays and dissertations which count towards the final degree class they are all internally double marked (and if there is a huge difference between the marks, sometimes 3rd marked) and then a selection are sent off to the external examiner (usually including all papers for those being awarded a first and all papers for those who might not pass at all). Then an exam board is held whereby any contentious issues are discussed and grades might be changed and overall degree classifications are decided upon.

For my undergraduate degree essays were internally double marked for first and second year as well.

All of this also happens for a Masters, and some places also hold a Viva for the dissertation with two internal examiners (I had one at Cambridge).

For a PhD there will be an internal and external examiner, the external being a leading figure in the field. They will kind of make a decision, and then a Viva will be held which can last anything from one to five hours where you will be questioned on the specific content of your thesis, as well as any related topics outside, including how you intend to research further in the area. You then either pass, have to do minor corrections (within a month or so) [neither of these are reexamined], major corrections, revise and resubmit, given a lesser postgraduate degree, or told never to darken the halls of academia again.

Easily? Obviously she's a very beautiful woman, but whereas ScarJo seems to exude sexiness from every pore, the same way we mortals do with sweat, Gwyneth Paltrow exudes something wholesome and inoffensive that makes me think she'd be a great babysitter.

Then again, Ms Marvel is a bit out there for the version of the Avengers they've got on screen. She can straight up fly, is super strong and absorbs energy and yeah she's not really operating in the same universe as Cap and Iron Man.

Ms. Marvel would be tough. The Wasp might have more of a niche to fill.

yeah, i was visiting my bro and he was telling me how crazy insane slackers the japanese people at kyoto u were
    they did not do diddly

The best way to describe it verse the US system is. Japanese hard to get in easy to graduate. US system, easy to get in hard to graduate.

Which makes me wonder how many get to their final semester and don't pass a class. Because unless it is some family thing that you can get an I for most people who wouldn't pass a class would of failed out of uni by the end of their first or beginning of their second year.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

Oh really? I assume this is how Fighting game player Tokido manged to get an engineering degree from Tokyo U while still being a top ranked player in pretty much everything.

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    My finals are today, graduation/commencement is Thursday.

I honestly don't know how they're getting this shit done, but apparently if we fail a class, we can still walk on the promise that we completely the courses over the summer. I already applied and have been accepted, IT'S TOO LATE FOR THEM TO TURN BACK NOW.

I think Wasp would fit pretty well. But that means you bring in Hank Pym. And I hate Hank Pym.

But I mean on the level of power you have Cap and Iron Man in the middle, Thor and Hulk at one extreme and BW and Hawkeye at the other extreme. I would say Ms. Marvel would be just below Hulk and Thor.

Of course, get Hulk angry enough he can destroy planets so he might be on his own level.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

In my case, you went through the graduation ceremony and got a paper diploma, but it wasn't your real honest-to-god diploma which came in the mail a couple of months later. (I didn't do the ceremony.)

desc wrote: »
    Maria Hill is in the avengers? Huh.

Played by the actress who plays Robin Sherbatzky on How I Met Your Mother. And she is looking good.

It kinda surprised me just how well they balanced all the team members screentime and how the script gives everyone the chance to shine. Maybe Thor was the team member the film was least interested in, but really, an amazing job all round. Very, very entertaining.

I loved the movie. Probably my only semi-criticism of it (which is really really minor) is that...
    Iron Man definitely got top billing. Maybe part of that was Robert Downey Jr's charisma; he chews up other actors and spits them out. The only person I felt like could reasonably share screentime with RDJ was Samuel L. Jackson.

But I really came out of the movie feeling like I just watched Iron Man and the Avengers.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

I think Wasp would fit pretty well. But that means you bring in Hank Pym. And I hate Hank Pym.

But I mean on the level of power you have Cap and Iron Man in the middle, Thor and Hulk at one extreme and BW and Hawkeye at the other extreme. I would say Ms. Marvel would be just below Hulk and Thor.

Of course, get Hulk angry enough he can destroy planets so he might be on his own level.

One of the things that I really loved regarding Hulk was
    They did a good job of showing how scary Hulk can be. They spent the right amount of dialogue establishing that Bruce Banner is a bomb waiting to go off. And they chose exactly the right place and time for him to explode.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.

The Avengers have a paucity of great female heroes ripe for the movies. The X-Men have a much better roster for that.

The Avengers have Ms Marvel, Scarlet Witch, Wasp, Black Widow, Photon, Tigra and She Hulk, but most of those just don't seem like a good fit for the movie version of the Avengers.

UK Universities have a pretty stringent system of checks built in. So for exams and essays and dissertations which count towards the final degree class they are all internally double marked (and if there is a huge difference between the marks, sometimes 3rd marked) and then a selection are sent off to the external examiner (usually including all papers for those being awarded a first and all papers for those who might not pass at all). Then an exam board is held whereby any contentious issues are discussed and grades might be changed and overall degree classifications are decided upon.

For my undergraduate degree essays were internally double marked for first and second year as well.

All of this also happens for a Masters, and some places also hold a Viva for the dissertation with two internal examiners (I had one at Cambridge).

For a PhD there will be an internal and external examiner, the external being a leading figure in the field. They will kind of make a decision, and then a Viva will be held which can last anything from one to five hours where you will be questioned on the specific content of your thesis, as well as any related topics outside, including how you intend to research further in the area. You then either pass, have to do minor corrections (within a month or so) [neither of these are reexamined], major corrections, revise and resubmit, given a lesser postgraduate degree, or told never to darken the halls of academia again.

This only exist in the US when you get up to the graduate degrees(masters and PhD). And for the masters it depends on the program. In mine the thesis and all that is attached is optional but instead you have to do field work which is mostly overseas in the developing world. I don't think most MBA programs require one any more either.

For PhD you have comps(in person review of knowledge by professors) and a thesis that basically get destroyed over and over till your final submission where you hope these people accept you as a peer and don't destroy your dreams.

u7stthr17eud.png

The Avengers have a paucity of great female heroes ripe for the movies. The X-Men have a much better roster for that.

The Avengers have Ms Marvel, Scarlet Witch, Wasp, Black Widow, Photon, Tigra and She Hulk, but most of those just don't seem like a good fit for the movie version of the Avengers.

I'd love to see Scarlet Witch but there are a huge number of reasons that's not going to work.

In my case, you went through the graduation ceremony and got a paper diploma, but it wasn't your real honest-to-god diploma which came in the mail a couple of months later. (I didn't do the ceremony.)

desc wrote: »
    Maria Hill is in the avengers? Huh.

Played by the actress who plays Robin Sherbatzky on How I Met Your Mother. And she is looking good.

I loved the movie. Probably my only semi-criticism of it (which is really really minor) is that...
    Iron Man definitely got top billing. Maybe part of that was Robert Downey Jr's charisma; he chews up other actors and spits them out. The only person I felt like could reasonably share screentime with RDJ was Samuel L. Jackson.

But I really came out of the movie feeling like I just watched Iron Man and the Avengers.

Kinda. He definitely got a lot of the choice lines, but it could have been a lot worse in that regard. The first draft that RDJ wanted had him at the centre of everything, so thank fuck they didn't go that route.

They did a good job of showing how scary Hulk can be. They spent the right amount of dialogue establishing that Bruce Banner is a bomb waiting to go off. And they chose exactly the right place and time for him to explode.

Yes
    I loved how they gave his first transformation a real horror movie vibe.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2012
    i will explain american academia.

kindergarten is age 5-6, and is a precursor to first grade.

then you have grade school, aka elementary school. this is usually 1st-8th grade, sometimes 1st-5th with 6th-8th being done at 'middle school'. but for the most part, ages 6-14-ish are at one school.

then you have high school, which is four years. you graduate this at 17 or 18 and decide whether you want to pursue higher education.

then if you want to go to college you either go to a community college for 2 years, being awarded an associate... or you go to a 4 year school, being awarded a bachelor's degree. or sometimes you start at a community college and transfer to a 4 year school where you're awarded a bachelor's degree after the final two years.

past the bachelor's is the master's degree. this is usually completed in 1.5-2 years, depending on how rigorous your schedule is.

then there are the phd's.

depending on the field you'll usually see stuff like dissertations (and defending them) and more administrative confrontations and 'defenses' and the stuff y'all UK'ers seem to allude to as typical.

but for a standard undergrad degree (the bachelor's), which is what the vast majority of the educated american workforce possesses, it is just accruing credit hours. so you need a certain amount of credits, with a certain adherence to a sequence. so if i want a bachelor's degree in computer science from almost any university in america, for instance: i need to pass X many general courses, and Y many courses specifically tailored to inform my degree path. so now let's say it's senior year, and i'm preparing to graduate. i've passed all of my courses. in my last semester i'm taking four courses.

now i'm here on penny-arcade saying oh god i graduate soon!! my last final is wednesday!!!!

i've already taken three of my finals and i know i've passed those courses. but i still need to pass that last course. if i get a failing grade on that last exam, i may fail that course- and it is necessary for me to pass that class in order for me to be awarded my degree.

so like, i may have already registered for the commencement event and i may walk either way for administrative, showy purposes... but if i fail that course i won't award that degree or technically be a college graduate. i'd have to retake that course in the summer or the upcoming fall or spring in order to actually be awarded the degree and be able to legally claim to be in possession of a bachelor's degree on my resume.

Organichu on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

Easily? Obviously she's a very beautiful woman, but whereas ScarJo seems to exude sexiness from every pore, the same way we mortals do with sweat, Gwyneth Paltrow exudes something wholesome and inoffensive that makes me think she'd be a great babysitter.
    She'd be a great date - pretty and down to earth. They are both lovely ladies.

I'm sure the Dark Knight Rises will be great and all, but the trailer for it before the Avengers didn't rouse my interest nearly as much.

Gwyneth Paltrow is not really very down to earth, from all reports.

I'm sure the Dark Knight Rises will be great and all, but the trailer for it before the Avengers didn't rouse my interest nearly as much.

It wasn't the most exciting trailer ever. Still going to go and see it at the flicks, though.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

We didn't get it :(

Just a load of crap. New Tim Burton, Olympic film, awful looking Pixar one and that may have been it.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Is there another Pixar movie other than Brave coming out? One that looks awful?

It wasn't the most exciting trailer ever. Still going to go and see it at the flicks, though.

Aye, for sure. I am also looking forward to Magneto: Nazi Hunting Badass, or whatever they end up doing with X-Men: First Class 2.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

Gwyneth Paltrow is not really very down to earth, from all reports.

well she acted like it dammit

• WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular

I loved when
    He thinks the ship is a submarine and says something to the effect of "oh you want me in a giant metal tube under water great idea." Then it takes off into the sky and he just goes with a chuckle, "oh, this is much worse"

"Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
This discussion has been closed.