As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Community: Season 4 Premiere February 7, Old Timeslot

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    as far as the shortness/ending goes, maybe this was the episode where the chevie chase situation started getting ugly and they had to trim bits

I've been thinking this ever since Abed's imaginationland episode, which is why the line from Pierce about not knowing what the hell is going on had an extra bit of humor to it.

• Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    My favorite parts of this episode were the little lizard urn, the possibility that Starburns's lawyer was evil Jeff, and the return of the pizza guy.
    1gB86.gif

Alex Wilder on
    Time is a flat circle
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    What if.....
    in order for John Goodman to get the whole group to come back to school to finish their degrees (since he is the power broker), Troy has to sign up for the A/C school?

It would be a Spok moment that Abed will dutifully notice!

And they could have a scene in the study room
    where Abed and Troy do the whole through the window spock dying scene. It would be glorious

I'm going to be so disappointed if this doesn't happen now. Thanks.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    My favorite parts of this episode were the little lizard urn, the possibility that Starburns's lawyer was evil Jeff, and the return of the pizza guy.
    1gB86.gif

Holy shit! Mind blown!

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Waaa! But wouldn't Abed KNOW it was evil jeff? Wouldnt he have mentioned that it was clearly jeff without an arm...

616610-1.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    OK, so was there one episode shown last night or three?

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    three episodes is the 17th

• Alex WilderAlex Wilder Registered User regular
    Evil Jeff was clearly wearing a disguise but couldn't hide the fact that he was missing an arm. I mean Abed just identifies people by hair color anyways. Also evil Shirley drunk drove into Starburns.

Time is a flat circle
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I hope on the S3 DVD they have a full song of the Dean's version of Come on Eileen.

One thing that seemed weird though for the episode was that

I got the sense he just sang that bit over and over every time he stapled something

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Waaa! But wouldn't Abed KNOW it was evil jeff? Wouldnt he have mentioned that it was clearly jeff without an arm...

Unless that was evil Abed....

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    About halfway through this episode I thought they were setting up the story for the last few episodes to be about summer school, which would allow for some new scenarios that don't normally play out during a September to May school year. I guess they could still do this. But the direction this episode took in the second half sort of derailed what they were setting up in the first half.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I figured that the one armed guy with a scar was starburns himself faking his death.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    So the real reason why Biology is cancelled is because they can't bring in Prof. Duncan?

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Rewatching and oh man I just caught
    The small one's his lizard
    golden

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    Big community fan, but honestly last night's episode left my wife and I wondering if we were missing a big reference to something. Just felt flat.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    I feel like I should have recognized the head of the board when they were doing the interview. He looked vaguely like James Spader.

IMDB says he was in "The Hottie and the Nottie," so that was probably it.
    His face (kinda) and the "may god have mercy on your soul" reminded me of this guy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9kpTvm6CYA

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Here's a new interview with Chevy about Community, done just last night. It really doesn't say that much that hasn't been said before (he doesn't find the show very funny, it needs more of his brand of humor, won't comment on if he'll be back until he knows if the show is coming back, etc.), really, but hey...here it is if you want to read it.

Captain Tragedy on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Wow. Chase sounds like a total pretentious goose.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I like the part where the dean went to the wardrobe. It captured the absurdity of what he does. The whole thing with Chang's requests in crayon was a little too much. Any real dean would have laughed at him. Their making Chang a little too crazy.

Krathoon on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    This episode gave back some of the cunning which made Chang so good in the first season. It was mixed with just enough of his current insanity to make it all gel well I think. He was most definitely less insane this episode than he was in many others both in this season and the previous.

Krathoon wrote: »
    I like the part where the dean went to the wardrobe. It captured the absurdity of what he does. The whole thing with Chang's requests in crayon was a little too much. Any real dean would have laughed at him. Their making Chang a little too crazy.

he's not a real dean. he's pathetic.

• TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular

He also spends so little on his dalmatian fetish as to make a true dean with a dalmatian fetish embarrassed for his unrealistically small dalmatian fetish budget.

Not the realism I expect at all, fellows.

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Good God, no kidding. Why even agree to that interview if you're going to be such a cloying, balking bag of shit.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    What the hell is Chevy's "brand" of humor? More pratfalls?

sig.gif
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'm sympathetic to him being tired of playing Pierce, though. I've often been tired with the character and I'm just the audience.

Professor Phobos on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The Pierce character is the easiest one to write out if they need too. What really makes that character shine, however, is how he tends to give just the right perspective and advice to Jeff and Shirley.

• MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Loving the new Chang. Never wanted him written out, but it's nice seeing the old cunning psychopath.
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Good God, no kidding. Why even agree to that interview if you're going to be such a cloying, balking bag of shit.

The whole interview was basically a full page of:

1) Probing Question looking for Controversy
    2) Passive Aggressive Response

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    What the hell is Chevy's "brand" of humor? More pratfalls?

I'm wondering this as well. Was it the ice cream machine?

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    I'm pretty sure he's just being a dick

I find him very entertaining, but you can't just have one character doing physical comedy - even great physical comedy - for a half hour and call it a real show. beyond that I can't imagine what he or anyone would consider his brand of comedy.

he's just a dick being a dick. I still like him as an entertainer but really, don't expect anything else from him at this point, it seems like he's incapable of it. add to that the bs going on behind the scenes at the show and it's just drama.

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Chase's brand of humor that he wants to do is from a time before alternative comedy and shows doing little inside jokes and things like that. He shouldn't have signed on to the show if he didn't like the character though. The truth is just like everybody else, his creativity is trumped by his desire to take money from whomever is willing to pay his old stupid ass.

• JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    It seems Chase just dislikes being an actor rather than a comedian/writer on the show.

• Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    The Pierce character is the easiest one to write out if they need too. What really makes that character shine, however, is how he tends to give just the right perspective and advice to Jeff and Shirley.

In retrospect, I wonder about the season cliffhanger that had Pierce leaving the group already, at the end of "For a Few Paintballs More."

It seems like the writers had given Chevy and Harmon an avenue for severing their relationship even then, at the end of Season 2.

Perhaps it would have been best.

• MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular

In retrospect, I wonder about the season cliffhanger that had Pierce leaving the group already, at the end of "For a Few Paintballs More."

It seems like the writers had given Chevy and Harmon an avenue for severing their relationship even then, at the end of Season 2.

Perhaps it would have been best.

That was a fantastic exit. No position on Pierce in/out but that's how you write someone out.

Almost felt cheated when he was back with the group within an episode.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Oh, Chevy. You think people don't remember The Chevy Chase show, don't you? Well I still remember it. When left to your own devices, you are an unfunny hack. Let other people tell you what to do, keep your damn mouth shut, and ride the money train, idiot.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Well he's sort of got a point. His character is one of the most one dimensional and unredeemable. He's had progresses made that were then rebooted back to the racist senile one trick pony by the next episode.

He might as well be a background character by this point.

• southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    I guess he forgot that the only reason anyone care's about Chevy Chase, at this point, is because he plays a nut on Community.

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    I'm sympathetic to him being tired of playing Pierce, though. I've often been tired with the character and I'm just the audience.

yeah I'm sympathetic as well. pierce is definitely the worst written of all and gets the worst material. I can see being pissed at that.

• Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    southwick wrote: »
    I guess he forgot that the only reason anyone care's about Chevy Chase, at this point, is because he plays a nut on Community.

In fairness, the only reason anyone cared about Community at first was because it had an eclectic cast that included Chevy Chase.

He gave the show some badly-needed clout and interest in the early going, but at some point, that whole dynamic changed. It started to get increasingly unclear who was doing favors for whom.

• The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Well he's sort of got a point. His character is one of the most one dimensional and unredeemable. He's had progresses made that were then rebooted back to the racist senile one trick pony by the next episode.

He might as well be a background character by this point.

Disagreed. Pierce has been consistently nicer this season, in reflection of the lessons he learned in S2. Additionally, while Pierce gets a bit less of a focus than, say, Annie, he still plays a major or equal role in pretty much the same amount of episodes as the other group members in S3.

I also don't get why Chevy is complaining about the material he's been given from a comedy standpoint; Pierce is consistently hilarious.

The_Tuninator on
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I love Pierce and the show would definitely take a step down in my "To Watch" list if he was gone.

The writers do need to do a better job with him and Shirley though. It might also be too late for that since I'm hoping the show gets one more and is done.

Lh96QHG.png