As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castrate All Nazis: This Time in Afrika [Sniper Elite V3]

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I've played the demo of this, and I must say it is so much fun. 1 My main concern is how long the game is, and 2 when will the bullet cam get old haha.

I'm not sure if its worth $50 because it seems like the sniping is top notch, but the ai and spawning leaves much to be desired, has anyone played coop? Wondering if this would be a good game to fraps coop or is the multiplayer not so great

1: Game's not terribly long. It took me two nights to get through the campaign. THis was on easy though, I'm still working on the hardest difficulty now. THere's like 10 or 11 missions.

2: NEVER

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Yeah, bullet cam never gets old. I haven't done coop yet, but played a little multi and it's fun. It's pretty low scoring and don't expect Unreal Tournament, obviously. I played with some random people and there was a guy across the street from me and he saw someone above me and told me what floor he was on so I was able to sneak up on him and get an easy kill. Basically when you have a good team it can be a lot of fun calling out enemy positions and setting up trip mines for teammates.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Yeah, you can shoot fingers off, I just did, and they left bleeding stumps.

Also, one of my favourite shots, in through the arm, through both kidneys, and out through the other arm.

?.jpg

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    It isn't perfect, but I love the multi in this game. I stopped playing the campaign and pretty much go straight for a tdm game (tdk is also cool but not many of the dedicated servers seem to run it).

I'm hoping Rebellion puts more maps in though. 3 is pretty skimpy, though they each have their own charm. The different toggles for game conditions is also nice; people do much less run and gun when secondary weapons are disabled. Do wish bullet drop was just always on though (it usually is but some games have gravity toggled off. Jumping in without knowing that always throws off your first few shots).

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I'm on the fence with this one, I want to play more then the demo level, but I don't want to pay $50 D=

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I'm on the fence with this one, I want to play more then the demo level, but I don't want to pay $50 D=

So either man up or wait for a sale. Or pay $36.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    What were the preorder bonus guns? The only other WWII rifle I can think of the the Einfeld.

Not that I particularly want to use anything other then the Gewehr. I have a hard time re-adjusting to the Mosin and Springfield because you have to compensate more with the Gewehr, it messes me up with the other rifles :P

Edit: Or the German bolt action one. Kar98 or something? is it that, cause I would buy that DLC in a heartbeat.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    What were the preorder bonus guns? The only other WWII rifle I can think of the the Einfeld.

Not that I particularly want to use anything other then the Gewehr. I have a hard time re-adjusting to the Mosin and Springfield because you have to compensate more with the Gewehr, it messes me up with the other rifles :P

The pre-order guns were the Mosin and the KAR98, weren't they? Or was it the SVT40 and the KAR98?

Features I'd like:
    Lee Enfield scoped rifle, to complete the set
    Kill-cams for non-sniper kills, like a good trip kill should be rewarded with a kill cam
    Dismemberment, and other realistic gore, a la Red Orchestra 2.

• Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    Not to pee on anyone's barbecue but if you're thinking of plonking down £40 on this might be worth a casual glance at my review on the site in my sig. I loved the demo, but really the demo has nearly everything that's good about this game.

On the plus side if you bought the Xbox/PS3 version in the UK you can trade it in at HMV for £30 credit, all ready for Max Payne or Diablo.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    TPSou wrote: »
    Not to pee on anyone's barbecue

Except to do exactly that, and plug your site.

• Options
    testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Not to pee on anyone's barbecue but if you're thinking of plonking down £40 on this might be worth a casual glance at my review on the site in my sig. I loved the demo, but really the demo has nearly everything that's good about this game.

On the plus side if you bought the Xbox/PS3 version in the UK you can trade it in at HMV for £30 credit, all ready for Max Payne or Diablo.

I found your review to be arbitrary and unfair.

There are plenty of us here enjoying the game, anyway - I can understand that you don't, but warning other people off is a bit much.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    Snot is correct that the pre-order guns are the SVT40 and Kar98. The Kar is pretty similar to the Gewher, if I'm remembering correctly. Sadly, it took me until last night to realize how to toggle the variable zoom. Wow, now I can see all the way across the map. :P

And as for the game itself, I like it though also acknowledge its flaws. I think I'd say that full price might not be worth it if you're on the fence. Though you get more from the PC version, so if anything look into skipping it on console. Even if you don't multi much/at all, you'd still be getting more than what you get on console.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

I found your review to be arbitrary and unfair.

There are plenty of us here enjoying the game, anyway - I can understand that you don't, but warning other people off is a bit much.

a 40 out of 100? Ouch. I mean I understand the majority of us are here because we enjoy the game, but your review seems a bit unfair. You talk so much about past Rebellion games being bad that it sounds like you had your mind made up before you even played it.

In your defense a review is one person's opinion which you're entitled to. The game has it's flaws and I would not give it a perfect score either, but 40 is just bad. Like broken game, unplayable bad. Superman 64 bad. Aquaman bad. The game doesn't deserve that. It's fun as hell. And that's the most I can hope to get out of a game, to have fun.

anoffday on
  • Options
    I think the only thing missing from the console version is the competitive MP modes (TDM) There's still the coop stuff. Are there extra SP missions in the PC version?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Are there extra SP missions in the PC version?

Not that I'm aware of.

I love this game, warts and all. It has brought me more absolute joy in the 10 hours I've invested (still not done and I haven't touched co-op or multi yet) than most games do in their entire course. Is it game of the year? Fuck no. Do I regret spending the full $50 (well, preorder so $45)? Fuck no.

This is up there with Space Marine in the camp of games giving me exactly what I want and expect.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    Yeah, this game came completely out of left field for me. I was instantly hooked just from the demo.

I hope they make a third Cold War themed game.

• Options
    BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    Yeah, this game came completely out of left field for me. I was instantly hooked just from the demo.

I hope they make a third Cold War themed game.

I hope they make a patch that removes the spawned in enemy shenanigans, as that is my only complaint with this game. Ah, a man can dream.

steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • Options
    I'm curious - who has played the first game (Sniper Elite)? How does it hold up compared to the sequel we all know and love?

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • Options
    I'm curious - who has played the first game (Sniper Elite)? How does it hold up compared to the sequel we all know and love?

I enjoyed it in its day. But it has not aged well at all.

• Options

Sooo... playing it *after* having completed V2 will probably be a disappointment, then?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

Sooo... playing it *after* having completed V2 will probably be a disappointment, then?

Probably. No x-ray kill cam. Just regular kill cam. It's still a good game. It was actually on sale a couple weeks ago for 2.50. I ended up picking it up then.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular

Its actually much, much more difficult than the sequel which in my opinion, is hugely dumbed down. The levels are more open for a less linear experience, you still have to go certain places obviously but its a fair bit more lax in how you deal with the objectives there. and there's lots of crawling. Seriously.

• Options
    This is true. It's really slow and harder. I actually haven't even beaten the first level.

• Options
    I made it pretty far in back in the day. It is harder. I don't think v2 is 'dumbed down' at all, it's just a different flavor.

But yeah, the graphics are PS2-era, the voice acting is pitiful, and the controls are ass. Also it doesn't play nice with widescreen resolutions. It supports them natively but it's just stretching the image.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    As you have regenerating health it's entirely sensible to set off the enemies on purpose when you're in a good spot with somewhere to hide and simply pick them all off as they run towards you.
    This is a legit problem with the game IMO. Sniper Elite difficulty should result in you getting absolutely wrecked if you get shot in order to really drive home the need for solid tactics and positioning. It's a little too easy to walk around quickscoping everybody while giving 0 fucks if you're a good shot.
    But yeah, the graphics are PS2-era, the voice acting is pitiful, and the controls are ass. Also it doesn't play nice with widescreen resolutions. It supports them natively but it's just stretching the image.
    Wut? Are you on PC or a console? Graphics aren't jeewhizz awesome but definitely not PS2 grade and I hadn't noticed any image stretching.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Steam version. It was a port of a PS2/xbox game. So, yes, PS2-era graphics with slightly less muddy textures and more resomolutions. And 1920x1200 is definitely stretched compared to 1600x1200.

That said, it's $5 on GoG as opposed to $10 on steam. So there's no reason NOT to buy if you're curious. Just don't expect v2. :P

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    As you have regenerating health it's entirely sensible to set off the enemies on purpose when you're in a good spot with somewhere to hide and simply pick them all off as they run towards you.
    This is a legit problem with the game IMO. Sniper Elite difficulty should result in you getting absolutely wrecked if you get shot in order to really drive home the need for solid tactics and positioning. It's a little too easy to walk around quickscoping everybody while giving 0 fucks if you're a good shot.
    Wut? Are you on PC or a console? Graphics aren't jeewhizz awesome but definitely not PS2 grade and I hadn't noticed any image stretching.

He's talking about the original Sniper Elite, that came out in '05.

And yeah, the graphics are kinda ass, but the bullet physics are just as nice, I remember taking some really long shots in it where I actually had to account for spin-drift and not just bullet drop and windage.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    He's talking about the original Sniper Elite, that came out in '05.
    Oh ok.. Disregard my prior response then!

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    I've just done the Museum level and it was not nearly as difficult as people were saying. Sure, I died lots but it was mostly because I wasn't taking my time and planning properly. The tricky bit was getting past all the first floor guards. Bullets helped.

• Options
    ?.img

• Options
    Was ist das? ACH! ES IST EINE KUGEL!

Dieter! Verstecken Sie Ihre Bälle!

• Options
    also, fuck you @anoffday, I've spent far too much time trying to beat your Museum score :lol:

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Big Isy wrote: »
    also, fuck you @anoffday, I've spent far too much time trying to beat your Museum score :lol:

Is it high? I haven't even looked at the leaderboards. Now I have to check them out.

edit: Ha. I don't know what I did. I didn't do so great on any of the other levels.

anoffday on
  • Options
    Its about 3,000 higher I think. And I'd been doing so well. I hope they patch in more leaderboard stuff as its pretty fun.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    so, my 5 minute experience with sniper elite multiplayer is similar to cod on xbox live. a bunch of idiots grunting and screaming in their mics and talking in high pitched voics pretending to be children while saying racist things.

if there is enough initiative we should host a private server -_-

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    I've had a few talky jerks, but overall I've had pretty good luck with multiplayer dudes not being complete asshats. Mics are kind of weird though, since you hear everyone even in team matches. Though hearing someone curse when I put a bullet in their eye from 300m is kind of enjoyable. Or hearing the opposing team tell each other where they are/where to look. Bless you for telling me where to sight in fellas.

I was more surprised at the people in the first week who were complaining about how it's all camping and how slow-paced the game is. Duh and/or Hello, it's called Sniper Elite guys, not dog rapist with akimbo 1887s running around and blasting n00bs.

• Options
    Can you disable mics? It might be wise to setup a game without voice chat and use the steam overlay top create two groups with voice chat there?

• Options
    I mentioned playing some MP a few days ago, but no one showed any interest. If anyone gets something going, I'm in.

• Options
    In my old age I've come to realize that I don't much enjoy playing against people. I'm much more inclined to do co-op.

• Options
    Me too - coop is much better.

I just finished the single player campaign last night, so I'm interested in some multi - do we need a Steam group for the purposes of matchmaking?

camo_sig2.png