As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Discussions of Wil Wheaton's cardboard nerd-cred consolidated here.

• Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    Finally managed to play Civilization (the new one by FFG) and it was quite fun. It feels a littly bulky and cumbersome as you start out playing, but after a few turns I felt that I had figured things out well enough to win with an economic victory.

It doesn't seem to have that much interaction (but it's still more interesting than Race for the Galaxy) and I'm not sure if the combat mechanics aren't really more of a distraction than a nice semi-tactical element of the game. I can imagine the variable set-up keeping things interesting enough for a while, and with experience games might increase in interaction as players try to slow each other down.

Again, table space prohibits me from seriously thinking about buying it; and since it's a game best played with 4 players (AFAICT) it probably won't see much play with my weekly gaming group. (Much like Chaos in the Old World does not.) I wouldn't mind playing it again soon.

• jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    Hey dudes, free money if you want to get a board game. Amazon local has a $25 voucher at Yoyo.com for $12 again, they have a decent selection of games at OK prices.
    http://local.amazon.com/snohomish/B007S1KWYI

Okay, this is cool. Dixit is en route for $13 shipped. They also have 7 Wonders, a couple versions of Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Castle Panic, Puerto Rico, Bang!, and some other decent stuff. They have free shipping for $25 orders in May.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    jergarmar wrote: »
    Hey dudes, free money if you want to get a board game. Amazon local has a $25 voucher at Yoyo.com for $12 again, they have a decent selection of games at OK prices.
    http://local.amazon.com/snohomish/B007S1KWYI

Okay, this is cool. Dixit is en route for $13 shipped. They also have 7 Wonders, a couple versions of Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Castle Panic, Puerto Rico, Bang!, and some other decent stuff. They have free shipping for $25 orders in May.

This is tempting. Someone on another forum mentioned the coupon code YFRESH for getting 15% off.

I'm eyeballing either Ticket to Ride for $23.55 or Tsuro for $7.40. The Lord of the Rings LCG was my first choice at about $14, but I think it sold out.

soempty.jpg
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Well, fuck. All those codes stack. The 15% off, the free shipping and the $25 one. So, Chaos in the Old World and Alvin and Dexter Ticket expansion purchased.

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Woohoo! Got my useless never to be played again copy of Warhammer Invasion set up to be traded for Catacombs and a few expansions. BGG comes to the rescue again.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    Woohoo! Got my useless never to be played again copy of Warhammer Invasion set up to be traded for Catacombs and a few expansions. BGG comes to the rescue again.

What was wrong with Warhammer Invasion? I've been trying to get that through a few trades that haven't went through recently.

• poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular

I just got Catacombs and an expansion for next-to-nothing from a kind boardgame mate of mine. Snap!

I figure I could take a bear.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    All this C&C Ancients talk has been making me kind of want it.

And I've been wanting to get rid of my copy of Game of Thrones 2nd edition. Apparently some people are willing to make this trade on BGG, but I'm not entire sure if this is the game I want to trade it for.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Oh man, nice find on that yoyo combo setup. I got 7 Wonders for about $20, which is about the price I've felt like paying for it.

What is this I don't even.
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Oh hey, there's a new stretch goal on the OGRE kickstarter...

...for starting a new edition of Car Wars, too. :D

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    I loved Warhammer invasion. It's short coming was that it was still a deck building game. And to get the most out of it, you need friends willing to buy their own copies or a roommate or significant other you don't mind sharing your copy with. I have none of the above.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I loved Warhammer invasion. It's short coming was that it was still a deck building game. And to get the most out of it, you need friends willing to buy their own copies or a roommate or significant other you don't mind sharing your copy with. I have none of the above.

This was true for me as well. It's a fantastic game from a mechanical perspective. It's just lacking due to the skills and materials required outside of playing it. You really need the right group.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It really baffles me how some games become popular casual/beginner games. One of my summer part time jobs was accompanying contractors into apartments, and it seemed like everyone with some board games had a copy of Dominion on the shelf. Scrabble, Yahtzee, Dominion...huh?

I keep seeing Small World and Dominion in these categories and it's so weird. Small World has a ton of different things to keep track of at any given time, especially when compared to History of the World (I would say SW is not much simpler than base Arkham Horror) while Dominion seems like the kind of game only a programmer could love.

Yet I keep seeing both popular among casual groups that don't go for "more complicated" games like Battlestar Galactica. Weird.

MrBody on
  • FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    What is the overall consensus for lords of waterdeep? It seems like its fairly popular, but a few specific strategies tend to take over most of the time. How accurate is that?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Oh man, nice find on that yoyo combo setup. I got 7 Wonders for about $20, which is about the price I've felt like paying for it.

Aw yeah, totally what I got, too. After coupons, voucher, tax, 7 Wonders for $23.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    FreeAgent wrote: »
    What is the overall consensus for lords of waterdeep? It seems like its fairly popular, but a few specific strategies tend to take over most of the time. How accurate is that?

I don't think there is much of a consensus. It's pretty controversial, with some people thinking it's an awful idiotic fake-Euro, and others loving it for being a Euro with a cool theme for once.

I don't think it's unbalanced, if that's what you mean. One of the first BGG reviews said they thought the Lord who gets bonuses for buildings is unbalanced, but I don't agree at all, and I read some sensible breakdowns of the maths that supported that view. Most games end with players pretty near each other in points.

I really enjoy it, myself, and every super-negative review I've read of it has been full of outright mistakes/misconceptions/bullshit. But I can understand how someone like Riemannlives, who considers Caylus a light filler and 18XX a pleasant afternoon, might find it too light and a bit meh.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    MrBody wrote: »
    It really baffles me how some games become popular casual/beginner games. One of my summer part time jobs was accompanying contractors into apartments, and it seemed like everyone with some board games had a copy of Dominion on the shelf. Scrabble, Yahtzee, Dominion...huh?

I keep seeing Small World and Dominion in these categories and it's so weird. Small World has a ton of different things to keep track of at any given time, especially when compared to History of the World (I would say SW is not much simpler than base Arkham Horror) while Dominion seems like the kind of game only a programmer could love.

Yet I keep seeing both popular among casual groups that don't go for "more complicated" games like Battlestar Galactica. Weird.

I find Small World super easy to keep track of (ability wise), and use it as a gateway for people who sour on Risk type games. A person can pretty much ignore everyone else's turns for the most part and not be terribly hindered.

Arkham Horror on the other hand is a burden to even suggest as a game to some crowds.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Does Dixit really have a lot of replay value? It sounds fun, but...only 84 cards?

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    Does Dixit really have a lot of replay value? It sounds fun, but...only 84 cards?

The cards have some similarities between each other that you can use to mislead players for points. You'll see repeats, but since the prompts are purely player inspired the games aren't likely to copy each other.

FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    So what franchise hasn't SJG sold out to Munchkin yet?

I imagine they are cursing FFG for getting the Star Wars license. Munchkin: IN SPACE is close, but not quite enough.

YL9WnCY.png
  • EndaroEndaro Registered User regular

Surprisingly good replay, as stated, since the cards are about interpretation. There are quite a few different vague things to say about one card alone. Also, expansions are available which double the amount of cards for 30$. It's my current favorite family game, since the instructions are only one page long no one ever has any trouble understanding it, or too little patience to learn it. Our largest problem has been burning out on it, Dominion-style, for playing it too frequently with too many different groups within too small a time frame. If you purchase it, watch out for that.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

This was true for me as well. It's a fantastic game from a mechanical perspective. It's just lacking due to the skills and materials required outside of playing it. You really need the right group.

The LCG format disguises itself in the garb of a board game, but really it's just a CCG with a more reliable method of card acquisition. This isn't a good or bad thing, but if you go into it looking for a standalone Dominion-esque game that you can play with anybody who comes along you're going to be disappointed.

Thanks for the insight on lords of waterdeep. Gives me something to think about.

I'm considering picking up one or two games while that deal is going. How would you advise between the following: 7 wonders, core worlds, race for the galaxy, betrayal at house on the hill,
    . I've played 7 wonders once, and none of the others.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    EvilBadman wrote: »

I find Small World super easy to keep track of (ability wise), and use it as a gateway for people who sour on Risk type games. A person can pretty much ignore everyone else's turns for the most part and not be terribly hindered.

Arkham Horror on the other hand is a burden to even suggest as a game to some crowds.

I can't imagine a sane person ever comparing Arkham Horror and Small World. Clearly, they've played too much Arkham Horror. :P

But yeah, base Small World is a very light game and a great introduction to hobby games.

Magic Pink on
    Thanks for the insight on lords of waterdeep. Gives me something to think about.

I'm considering picking up one or two games while that deal is going. How would you advise between the following: 7 wonders, core worlds, race for the galaxy, betrayal at house on the hill,

Core Worlds! But only if you want a medium weight game with a lot of tension and competition for resources. If you want a medium weight game with a bit more space to do your own thing, Race for the Galaxy. 7 Wonders is a great light weight game as well.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    It's worth noting that I played a 2-player game of Core Worlds yesterday, and it was very different from the 5-player version. The limited selection of cards that comes up really makes you 'make due', although I don't feel it really screws anyone either. The game plays a lot faster with a lot less downtime, which my other player liked quite a bit. I think I enjoy it fine either way, as each version of the game offers a unique feel (in 5 players, there is a much larger chance that a card you want or are hoping to pick up gets randomly grabbed up by someone else because, "why not?", while in 2 player it's far less likely for any particular card to actually appear, for example).

I have yet to try it with 3 or 4, but am quite intrigued to try either of those player counts.

• Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I've played it with 3 and 5 and I found your assessment with 5 to be correct.

3 player, on the other hand, gets you more cards to choose from, more chances to go first and so get the ones you actually want before someone can grab them, plays a lot faster, it's generally easier to keep track of what everyone else is doing so you can plan out your rounds a bit better without trying to rush them. I can't say if BGG is correct in recommending 3 player as the "best" because I've only ever played it twice, and never with 2 or 4 players, but I think 3 probably does hit the sweet spot.

Bear is Driving on
  • jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Tough to compare them directly. 7 Wonders plays up to 7 and is short. Core Worlds has been described already. RftG is a low-interaction game that does 2 players well (but it still really good with 4 players). Betrayal is an atmosphere/theme game, so you should like the story that it tells.

IN OTHER NEWS, got RoboRally in, played a 5-player game. I thought it was awesome... if you have only one map board and a few flags, once one person gets an obvious lead the game is about over. Plus, when you pull out in front everybody tends to shoot lasers up your tailpipe, which is a cool way to manage the leader problem. However, one player had a REALLY hard time thinking through the moves, and didn't have a good time. So overall I think it's a pretty good racing game for a big crowd, but it's not perfect.

On the other hand, had another awesome game of Cosmic Encounter, this time a short one with only 3 players and 4 worlds, and with the Incursion expansion aliens. The Sniveler is a hilariously annoying alien. I'll say it again: for my mixed-couple game nights, CE is the game that everybody wants to play. So much fun.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    Muzzies Crokinole board arrived this morning after I left for work. Damn you gainful employment! This will be the longest of days.

jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular

I think you're forgetting that both Smallworld and (especially) Dominion have short play times. Battlestar Galactica does not. Say what you will about the former two games, they are streamlined and easy to learn. That and a short playtime are most of what you need for a 'gateway' game.
    jergarmar wrote: »
    IN OTHER NEWS, got RoboRally in, played a 5-player game. I thought it was awesome... if you have only one map board and a few flags, once one person gets an obvious lead the game is about over. Plus, when you pull out in front everybody tends to shoot lasers up your tailpipe, which is a cool way to manage the leader problem. However, one player had a REALLY hard time thinking through the moves, and didn't have a good time. So overall I think it's a pretty good racing game for a big crowd, but it's not perfect.

On the other hand, had another awesome game of Cosmic Encounter, this time a short one with only 3 players and 4 worlds, and with the Incursion expansion aliens. The Sniveler is a hilariously annoying alien. I'll say it again: for my mixed-couple game nights, CE is the game that everybody wants to play. So much fun.

Roborally and Cosmic Encounter are both hilarious, silly fun. Cosmic Encounter is an especially great design for social interactions set up in a way that I don't see in many board games. Also if someone has played Roborally before it makes it easier to explain the action round in Space Alert :rotate:

ALSO IN OTHER NEWS, I got to finish a Full Conquest game of Mage Knight, and it only took four hours! It was only a two player game and I lost horribly, but I do think Mage Knight is one of the best games in my collection. I really like how there is almost no luck during your turn, especially in combat. Unfortunately, this is one of the easiest games to have AP happen in--I made sure for this full game to only have another player who had played before.

So this weekend my brother came over for a game night for the first time. We had a great time.

While we were waiting on him I managed to play this scenario in Commands & Colors: Ancients. I was Carthage and rode hard with my cavalry in my right flank into Rome's relatively weak left flank. Leading with my leader supported Medium Cavalry I just sequentially crushed the unsupported edge of his line against the river. Two turns in a row I played Mounted Charge, then I Am Sparticus to help beef my Light Cavalry up towards rolling three dice, and the leader support gave them 2/6 sides. Basically I turned them into highly mobile auxilia. After 4 crushing defeats to this guy in a row, I find myself on my own winning streak with some extremely lucky dice rolls.

After that my brother finally showed up and we played Domaine, Hansa Teutonica and Lords of Waterdeep.

I attempted an all knights strategy in Domaine which was an awful, awful, awful idea. Seriously, it was bad. My theory was that people would eventually have to make my borders for me. And then my knights could rampage with expansion cards. It was actually 2 turns away from the end of the game that I finally had a domain. Seriously, it was an awful strategy.

Things went much better in Lords of Waterdeep. My 2 starting quest were 20 pointers, and I quite quickly got a plot quest that let me play on an occupied space once per round. The funny thing about starting with 20 point quests is that people forget. No shortage of times people have taken a big quest off the board and then been slammed with mandatory quests by scared competitors. However, starting with them people just forget. I even exclaimed when I got them "Woah, two 20 pointers!" and commented later on that they were almost identical quest, same reward and everything, except one required 4 warriors and 2 thieves, and the other 4 thieves and 2 warriors. But still, people just forgot. Still it availed me nothing. I ended up losing by a single point. It was a damn good game.

Hansa Teutonica was an interesting game. I think it was the first game where everyone was competing pretty evenly for everything. Quite often I run the board on bonus tokens, ending the game early with a hefty bonus for myself. Everyone else is so preoccupied blocking and taking the upgrades that the undervalue the bonus tokens. Not this time. In fact, things got so competitive people were attempting to block network expansion as well! I think it was the most fun game of Hansa Teutonica I've played. It also had a very narrow point gap. 3 pts. And I would have won had the rules allowed me to use my swap office bonus token after the action that ends the game. But it's pretty unambiguous that the game ends IMMEDIATELY, and forum postings on BGG supported this.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Thoughts on Forbidden Island? For $10 at Barnes and Noble, I'm almost certainly going to buy it, but would like to hear what people think anyways.

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    It's fun but very light. The simplest coop game I've played. I think I'd get tired of it within a few plays.

sig.gif
  • TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »
    Thoughts on Forbidden Island? For $10 at Barnes and Noble, I'm almost certainly going to buy it, but would like to hear what people think anyways.

It's Pandemic with a more fun theme and a less even pacing.

Core worlds it is then. Now to decide if I can justify picking up a discounted 7 wonders as well, seeing as I've spent a ridiculous amount funding future board games pretty recently.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Core worlds it is then. Now to decide if I can justify picking up a discounted 7 wonders as well, seeing as I've spent a ridiculous amount funding future board games pretty recently.

You absolutely can justify getting a full-price copy of that brilliant game. Discount is a no brainer as long as it's in good condition.

Tayrun wrote: »

You absolutely can justify getting a full-price copy of that brilliant game. Discount is a no brainer as long as it's in good condition.

This is my usual line of thinking (I'm a sucker for a good deal) but zpocalypse, zombicide, and agents of smursh have taken their toll already. And what if, god forbid, I end up backing sentinels of the multiverse or tammany hall? The thousand games of the kickstarter army have descended upon me. Their cards and minis shall blot out the sun.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Tayrun wrote: »

This is my usual line of thinking (I'm a sucker for a good deal) but zpocalypse, zombicide, and agents of smursh have taken their toll already. And what if, god forbid, I end up backing sentinels of the multiverse or tammany hall? The thousand games of the kickstarter army have descended upon me. Their cards and minis shall blot out the sun.

Even if all that happens, you'll still have paid less than average for a game that has a rightful place in your collection. That is, assuming your collection is for "games that are fun".

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

I really like Race for the Galaxy. It has a ton of depth and replayability, especially with the first two expansions (the third expansion is good times but really changes the game to an "experts only" version). It also is a very quick game where you can play several rounds back to back.

It has two downsides:

1) Its theme is really vauge. It has excellent artwork but you do not generate a narrative as you play (eg: its like Dominion in that the cards you play do not make a coherent story).

2) When people first start learning it, they tend to play it without interacting with each other (eg: "multiplayer solitaire"). Some people never get past this "baby talk" phase of the game.

When you get into it, the game absolutely requires you to be working off of what all the other players are doing (and it is way less luck based than it appears). Someone playing off the other players actions will absolutely dominate in terms of score even if they get a crappy series of draws.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Hensler wrote: »

It's certainly worth $10. I found it to have less depth than I thought it would, but it's a good game to get people into the hobby. It introduces concepts that traditional "popular" boardgames don't usually contain.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment