As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Wars: [Phalla]nce in the Force - Sith Empire(mafia) Are Victorious

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Retaba wrote: »
    The council is hell bent on seeming as evil as they possibly could be?

In the interest of full disclosure, since any Sith have relayed it to their buddies, this is the Courisant power.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Capfalcon wrote: »

In the interest of full disclosure, since any Sith have relayed it to their buddies, this is the Courisant power.

And that power is decided by a vote of Knights?

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    I'm against invoking the coruscant STAR vote day 1. But unless everyone agrees not to vote we'd better vote.

• SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular

I heartily applaud this disclosure from our esteemed council. Information wants to be free yo!

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    I'm still thinking about the Knights' Meditation plan, and I'd like to offer a variant for consideration. Each Knight should roll a virtual 1d10 to select a Council master to Meditate upon (1 = SLyM, 2 = Kias, etc.) instead of following the orders given out previously by Matev and Smoove Operator. While the variability inherent in probability will almost certainly leave us with extra redundancies or gaps in our knowledge, privatization and randomization of targets should leave us less open to systematic Sith manipulation. For accountability, Knights should record their die rolls and report targets as soon as possible after the close of the day. Perhaps it's not the best plan, but it's another one to consider?

Again, this tells the Sith whom they need to conceal. Also, I don't think the council members are necessarily the best people to seer, even if proven reliable.

That's a valid point. But I think the underlying idea is fine, in that we should be organized at the full group level, but at least a little bit random on the individual level. I'm less enthusiastic about splitting up into subgroups and having each make their own decisions, I'd prefer it if we kept our discussions as one large entity.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    This is a part of why we wanted to undergo meditations today. It would give not only the village data, but us data to exercise the power we have without trying to be banthas in a dinnerware shop.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »

Er, no. We control it as long as Courisant is controlled.

Unless you mean that if the Sith try and take it, we'd have to rely on knights to bring it back. In which case, you are correct.

Baidol wrote: »

Vote of council members. In case of a tie, no kill.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I have to work tonight and won't be home in time to do any real playing, so I'm putting a random vote in for now: Schuss. I'm off the next two days, so I'll have time to do more playing.

This looks like it's going to be a really fun phalla!

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    Just keep in mind even if your peers aren't actively judging you, you are still being watched. Yes, even you.

I am not

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    Figgy's random vote was the same as my random council star vote.

Maybe you were destined to be my padawan, Figgy.

kime wrote: »
    Just keep in mind even if your peers aren't actively judging you, you are still being watched. Yes, even you.

I am not

Oh, I've got my eye on you Placeholderus. Private Meditation time is not what you think it's for, by the way.

Hail Hydra
  • MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    I'm still thinking about the Knights' Meditation plan, and I'd like to offer a variant for consideration. Each Knight should roll a virtual 1d10 to select a Council master to Meditate upon (1 = SLyM, 2 = Kias, etc.) instead of following the orders given out previously by Matev and Smoove Operator. While the variability inherent in probability will almost certainly leave us with extra redundancies or gaps in our knowledge, privatization and randomization of targets should leave us less open to systematic Sith manipulation. For accountability, Knights should record their die rolls and report targets as soon as possible after the close of the day. Perhaps it's not the best plan, but it's another one to consider?

Again, this tells the Sith whom they need to conceal. Also, I don't think the council members are necessarily the best people to seer, even if proven reliable.

That's a valid point. But I think the underlying idea is fine, in that we should be organized at the full group level, but at least a little bit random on the individual level. I'm less enthusiastic about splitting up into subgroups and having each make their own decisions, I'd prefer it if we kept our discussions as one large entity.

So would the Sith.

I feel a disturbance...

I think it's fine to have a discussion with everyone on the general plan, i.e. we should mostly be meditating, mostly missioning, etc. But I think it would be best if we left the specifics, like who to meditate on, which planet to mission, to the small group. That ensure we're all on the same page with the overall objective while making it a bit more difficult for the Sith to stop us.

As a side note, if you do meditate, I would advise not telling anyone in your group who you are meditating on. If we accept that many of our group will have Sith infiltrators, that may help to reduce the shenanigans they can pull.

• CaptainPlanet82CaptainPlanet82 Registered User regular

hmm. It sounds to me like MrTLicious knows of someone on the council he does not want revealed.

On the other hand if we found a Sith on the council, they are immune to vote. You would have to be now also be in contact with a vig too. Because if you just announce it rather than keeping it private, they might have some way to protect the person. On the other hand, if a council member is an actual Jedi, are at the biggest risk of Sith attacks?

Help my friend realize his excellent Cyber Punk savage setting! Check out the Ronin: Chrome and Shadows Kickstarter!
  • RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

I am not

Oh, I've got my eye on you Placeholderus. Private Meditation time is not what you think it's for, by the way.

*whistles*

hmm. It sounds to me like MrTLicious knows of someone on the council he does not want revealed.

On the other hand if we found a Sith on the council, they are immune to vote. You would have to be now also be in contact with a vig too. Because if you just announce it rather than keeping it private, they might have some way to protect the person. On the other hand, if a council member is an actual Jedi, are at the biggest risk of Sith attacks?

I've mentioned this before, but I'll bring it up again here. I don't think the council is the best place for us to seer. Any Sith on the council is very likely to have multiple layers of seer protection, particularly day 1. The Sith are also likely looking to take out the Jedi aligned councilors, making it more likely for your seer target to be dead before you can use the information. If you want to seer, I strongly suggest targeting a knight or padawan.

I think it's fine to have a discussion with everyone on the general plan, i.e. we should mostly be meditating, mostly missioning, etc. But I think it would be best if we left the specifics, like who to meditate on, which planet to mission, to the small group. That ensure we're all on the same page with the overall objective while making it a bit more difficult for the Sith to stop us.

As a side note, if you do meditate, I would advise not telling anyone in your group who you are meditating on. If we accept that many of our group will have Sith infiltrators, that may help to reduce the shenanigans they can pull.

What is the point of the small group if you're not telling them whom you're meditating on?

The primary focus of the small groups should be self-inspection. To that end, the goal should either be to jointly focus a planet or be meditating on someone in the group. Because we don't know what the Sith can do, it's going to be hard to get anywhere near 100% confirmation on anything, so the self-inspection phase could take several days, and not just one. Eventually, however, it should be possible to confirm each other, and then focus on trying to confirm other groups.

I think the easiest way to confirm people is to go on joint missions (and has the bonus advantage of giving us planets + powers). The reason I think this is easier is because it's likely that Sith have some kind of block ability that tells people meditating on them that they're good (this isn't a Thrall in the strictest sense but is a Thrall in my book) but probably don't have an ability that let's them go on Jedi missions (or maybe they do, but then at least we're getting lots of planet points). Unfortunately, the more people that go on missions, the harder it is to confirm those that did because of overlap, so some people will need to be meditating.

You're not refuting my argument. If you want to say that scanning the council is a better use of resources, and so anyone trying to prevent that is likely Sith, that's fine, but you need to make that argument. Saying that my plan protects the council is fine and dandy, but the opposite is true of any plan that does scan the council (it protects Knights and Padawans). [snark] Whom are you trying to protect, eh? [/snark]

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Odd idea - what if we said heck with the seering and just had all the masters go after one planet, or form two groups and go after two? Were an attempt to fail, we'd have a limited pool of Knights to cast suspicion on, and could use the meditation more selectively at that point.

edited May 2012
    The problem being it's not more certain than meditation. Meditation would have better failsafes in place.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    Odd idea - what if we said heck with the seering and just had all the masters go after one planet, or form two groups and go after two? Were an attempt to fail, we'd have a limited pool of Knights to cast suspicion on, and could use the meditation more selectively at that point.

The problem is that these would become publicly known, and thus subject to Sith mindfuckery (technical term). Keep in mind that there are 20 Knights. That's 20 points on each planet (with padawan support) so even if a group got all 12 points, there could still have been funny business. If there are fewer people going on missions, there are fewer people to investigate when things go wrong.

Of course, this all goes haywire because padawans can mess with Knights. Part of me wants to just use the padawans to disable all the rest of the padawans so that no Sith padawans can mess with things. It'll make planet capture go more slowly but give us better confirmation of the Knights that are going places.

What is the point of the small group if you're not telling them whom you're meditating on?

The primary focus of the small groups should be self-inspection. To that end, the goal should either be to jointly focus a planet or be meditating on someone in the group. Because we don't know what the Sith can do, it's going to be hard to get anywhere near 100% confirmation on anything, so the self-inspection phase could take several days, and not just one. Eventually, however, it should be possible to confirm each other, and then focus on trying to confirm other groups.

I think the easiest way to confirm people is to go on joint missions (and has the bonus advantage of giving us planets + powers). The reason I think this is easier is because it's likely that Sith have some kind of block ability that tells people meditating on them that they're good (this isn't a Thrall in the strictest sense but is a Thrall in my book) but probably don't have an ability that let's them go on Jedi missions (or maybe they do, but then at least we're getting lots of planet points). Unfortunately, the more people that go on missions, the harder it is to confirm those that did because of overlap, so some people will need to be meditating.

I may not have been clear in what I was saying. I think those who are meditating should tell their groups that is what they are doing, so they don't mess up things like the planet point. I just think they should reveal their target until the next day when they have the seering result. That makes it a little more difficult for the Sith to guess who they may need to use their seer-hiding abilities on and makes it a bit more likely to get a true result.

Ultimately, I think I agree with your overall point. Missions are probably the more reliable way to find Sith in your group, with the bonus of the secondary objective. Since we are all operating under the assumption that the Sith have some major seer-resisting abilities, I'm making suggestions as to how to avoid them.

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    You really think there would be an ability in the game that is useless? I'm sure there are guards in place that a sith can use to obfuscate the seering. But it is probably an activated thing like meditation.

All right, I'll explain the whole reasoning behind it, since it seems everyone has suddenly decided seers are the worst idea in phalla ever.

If we had everyone meditate (On anyone, not necessarily Council, I arbitrarily assigned to knights so that people could start forming networks) with padawans supporting, it would create a double double failsafe system. Padawans would see the results their masters did (Barring Busdrivers) If results did match, that would bear investigation. 2 teams investigating each target would ensure even tainted team wouldn't slip by (Unless we randomly picked two completely compromised teams to seer someone) If someone didn't meditate and went planet hunting, it would show up and their results would be suspect. It's simple and effective, but it would only work if everyone went for it.

Yes, there would blocks and switchings, but even then, those discrepenacies would give us something to work with. Haring off and playing king of dust mounds might give us powers, but it gives next to no data today about who's doing what. It's much, much easier to fake a planet mission than a meditation, especially if padawans keep an eye on their knights and vice versa!

Hail Hydra
    jdarksun wrote: »
    The problem being it's not more certain than meditation. Meditation would have better failsafes in place.
    I fail to see how Meditation is anything other than an exercise in futility. Enlighten me.

I don't think meditation is a total exercise in futility. At the very least, we need the threat of it to keep the Sith using their anti-meditate abilities instead of anything else they might be able to do. I just think it is better done randomly, so there's a greater chance of getting a hit you can trust.

You really think there would be an ability in the game that is useless? I'm sure there are guards in place that a sith can use to obfuscate the seering. But it is probably an activated thing like meditation.

Yes, which makes meditation useless if it's public knowledge.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular

Remember Death of Phalla? Another game where it seemed like everyone had a seer? That turned out really well for us.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Okay, it's obvious that a lot of people prefer the strike team idea.

Let's do that, has anyone worked out who goes where?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Okay to go into more detail, there are an awful lot of seers in this game.
    That means the game is
    1> Unabalanced
    2> Something is balancing the seers.

Most of the discussion is on choice 2, which is good, since I'm not sure how to deal with 1.

So if something is balancing the seers, and
    Thralls, millers, conversions?
    By the exact definition of Thralls and Millers, no.
    Conversions are extremely limited.

We know that something weird is going on with seer results, I don't know why we think that this has been narrowed down to Sith having an active ability to hide their identities.
    Couldn't we also be looking at unreliable seers of some sort? Maybe a percentage naive, a percentage paranoid? It seems worth considering.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Popping in to check on this at work again.

Holy shit.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Seems to me like the seering powers are useful only if they're not announced (like a Day 1 seer-jerk). Already stated, 40% seers = something is up. You are retarded to think otherwise, what, do you think the game is solved day 1? If everyone plays along then what is gained? Apparently not planets, since the Order is chilling in Coruscant meditating.

Seems much more likely that the seer power is something that needs to be done adhoc, as it has to catch something. If it returned alignment outright then the game would be broken.

An example is PHA/LLA: say most players have Sniffer (2/3 in the phalla version) and they decide Day 1 to assign targets to sniff. Well, you're not going to catch anyone running that Jacktrace (mafia kill ability) because they know what the hell is going on, when the schedule is, etc. They of course won't run it, and you accomplish little. The only way to catch a Jacktrace is to luck out on your suspicions and catch someone in the act.

OrokosPA.png
    Haring off and playing king of dust mounds might give us powers, but it gives next to no data today about who's doing what.
    Incorrect. The results of planetary incursions are public knowledge. If we know who goes where, and we know who gained control of the planet (Jedi or Sith), then we have a (comparatively) narrow pool of subjects to investigate.

Only the results are known, not who went where specifically as missions are submitted via private PM. That would allow people to hide in "Planet" bandwagons.
    Yes, there would blocks and switchings, but even then, those discrepenacies would give us something to work with.
    If and only if the mafia/Sith as a group have a small, limited number of uses/ways of avoiding the Meditation. If, for example, every Sith had an "Infiltrate" ability (or whatever) that causes Meditate to return "Jedi", a day of publicly orchestrated Meditations would return no useful results. Worse, it would return false negatives!

This is only speculation. We have no way of knowing at this point and the only way is to go through with it. I'd rather give it a shot then dismiss it out of hand cause of boogeyman powers that may or may not exist.

Hail Hydra
    38thDoe wrote: »

Remember Death of Phalla? Another game where it seemed like everyone had a seer? That turned out really well for us.
    that was a sparrow productions phalla, directed by simonwolf

not to confuse with a regular phalla

• AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    People talking air the "threat" of seerings - now the mafia know there are 20 seers or so, will be acutely aware of the fact that they could easily be discovered at any time. We don't need to tell everyone to perform seers to do that.

It basically becomes a game of chicken. But that might be ok. Rely on instincts and vote records, etc, to try find mafia to seer, but planet hunting will probably find us good numbers of powers to use that might tip the balance in our favor.

• AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    Haring off and playing king of dust mounds might give us powers, but it gives next to no data today about who's doing what.
    Incorrect. The results of planetary incursions are public knowledge. If we know who goes where, and we know who gained control of the planet (Jedi or Sith), then we have a (comparatively) narrow pool of subjects to investigate.

Only the results are known, not who went where specifically as missions are submitted via private PM. That would allow people to hide in "Planet" bandwagons.
    Yes, there would blocks and switchings, but even then, those discrepenacies would give us something to work with.
    If and only if the mafia/Sith as a group have a small, limited number of uses/ways of avoiding the Meditation. If, for example, every Sith had an "Infiltrate" ability (or whatever) that causes Meditate to return "Jedi", a day of publicly orchestrated Meditations would return no useful results. Worse, it would return false negatives!

This is only speculation. We have no way of knowing at this point and the only way is to go through with it. I'd rather give it a shot then dismiss it out of hand cause of boogeyman powers that may or may not exist.

You're saying it's speculation that the mafia have some antiseering ability?

I mean.. Yeah, I guess so, but either this is the easiest Phalla ever, or there's SOME effect that counters 20 seers.
    I guess it's true we don't know what it might cause, but there are worse fates that we haven't even discussed. What if seering a sith who is activating a certain ability taints the Jedi and turns them to the dark side?
    It's a huge gamble to ask everyone to seer, when our most likely (and probably most favorable, if we are being realistic) is a series of results saying "everyone is a Jedi, well, obviously that's not true, let's ignore everything we did"

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    It's not that seers are useless, just that this kind of application is.

It is the exact equivalent of doing a secret shopper in all your stores, but you announce the date and time.

Holy shit all these stores are super clean and the employees are super professional!

A waste of money.

OrokosPA.png
    KetBra wrote: »
    Okay, it's obvious that a lot of people prefer the strike team idea.

Let's do that, has anyone worked out who goes where?

Really, KetBra? (I had Retaba there first. Goose.)

Remember the thing about padawans being able to stop missions? Well if everyone knows where everyone is going that makes it easy for the Sith to frame people. Even if they don't, they can hit a planet and make it look like a group didn't do their complete job, again framing that team. Best to just divide into teams and let them decide what they're doing.

• Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular

Yes yes, let's just assume that the game is grossly imbalanced and collect our victory rapidly!

The host has still refused to answer that thralls/millers question, btw.

edited May 2012
    Except the planet payouts aren't definite. If the Jedi take a planet, and the wrong Jedi gets the power, then it's just as bad as any surmised false postive.

At this point, any thought of Sith manipulation powers, while probable, is not sure, it's only speculation. The only ones who know for sure are the Sith, and they haven't been as forthcoming as us (Unless you guys wanna make this a straight up fight. :D ) I'm not saying I think there are no powers like that, I'm saying they're not as pervasive as everyone seems to believe.

Additionally, Padawans will not be able to block missions tonight. Tomorrow, yes, but not tonight.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    Additionally, Padawans will not be able to block missions tonight. Tomorrow, yes, but not tonight.

Care to elaborate on this?