As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Pre-PAX Dinner: Get Involved

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    The Great and Powerful Oz has spoken.

No really, thanks Beta. Your experience in these matters does not go unheeded.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    So we're doing like 10 food trucks up in Bellingham. Gotcha. *goes to make arrangements*

wWuzwvJ.png
  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Woke up in the middle of the night because I realized I know management at Hard Rock. Their second floor is awesome. Message sent. It'd be all ages, too. All options are good, right?

ufq9gj8383nh.png

It's all the way down by the Market though...

True, but an easy bus ride up the hill. It's probably too expensive.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    It's all the way down by the Market though...

It's actually not that terribly far from the TWDT, especially because it is right on Pike, where no fewer than 3 separate bus routes go from straight up to Cap Hill. I wouldn't discount it if we can get a screaming deal on the prices.

I can't believe I just typed support for Hard Rock Cafe, but there it is.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
    edited May 2012
    I can't believe I just typed support for Hard Rock Cafe, but there it is.

From now on it should be "The Place that Shall Not Be Named"

Also, the Food Truck scene has changed a LOT in the past two years. I'll give the guys over at Maximus/Minimus a jingle with some very concrete questions based on Beta's advice, and see if they can do catering speed service.

If the trucks arrived last time ready to serve as if it were just a regular lunch service, ie: without preorders and the idea that each dish would be cooked to order then yeah, there's no way that would work. But if they arrive with meals prepared or just need a few seconds to assemble (the whole idea behind a prix-fixe pre-order) then the wait would no longer be an isue. Exchange ticket for plate. Done.

Any time you deal with a food provider who is working outside of their normal purview, you have to be explicitly clear and well-planned about how they'll deal with the changes. In our case it's order quantity and service.

LexiconGrrl on
  • beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    The last time we did food trucks, there were 3 options. They were not pre-ordered, but things like burgers can't be pre-made (if they are, they won't be good). So, part of the problem was that they ran out of some of the entrees. The other part was that while getting hot food like that is great, it takes time for them to cook a burger (for example). It really depends on the truck, but so many people had bad experiences that I was told if there was a food truck, they wouldn't attend. So I backed away from it.

UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
    beta_angel wrote: »
    so many people had bad experiences that I was told if there was a food truck, they wouldn't attend.

Oh wow.

Well, that's too bad. With the right planning, anything can work out well. But if the community feels that strongly about it then it's probably not a great idea. The PPD should be inclusive, not alienating.

• TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    I just reached out to Sun Liquor (simply because its a great location, and a decent space, though I don't know if they do rentals), and got an OOF message that says the office manager and on site bar manager is out through Sunday the 13th. We can probably still check out the space on the 12th, but it won't be with any pertinent information.

Has somebody reached out to FRED Wildlife yet? Just curious.

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
    edited May 2012
    (*) Idea: For the scouting mission - how about we each take one venue that we've researched, and see if we can schedule a quick peek a the venue on the 12th? We can also wander around and just look at what's there - there's SO MUCH on the hill that may not be listed online but would be a good event space... Plus we can check out Barca for anyone who wasn't there last year.

Suggested venue questions:
    1. Rental rates and fees - all of them.
    2. Catering space or outdoor BBQ/Pig Roast/Cooking space
    3. Wheelchair accessiblity?
    4. Can it be set up with a bar and also be all ages?
    5. Are they willing to donate a portion of the rental cost or sales to Child's Play?
    6. Event contact name and number

I'll take Shoe Repair and Barca, since I've already contacted them.

Anybody want to buy out the Wild Rose? :winky:

LexiconGrrl on
    edited May 2012
    (*) Idea: For the scouting mission - how about we each take one venue that we've researched, and see if we can schedule a quick peek a the venue on the 12th? We can also wander around and just look at what's there - there's SO MUCH on the hill that may not be listed online but would be a good event space... Plus we can check out Barca for anyone who wasn't there last year.

Suggested venue questions:
    1. Rental rates and fees - all of them.
    2. Catering space or outdoor BBQ/Pig Roast/Cooking space
    3. Wheelchair accessiblity?
    4. Can it be set up with a bar and also be all ages?
    5. Are they willing to donate a portion of the rental cost or sales to Child's Play?
    6. Event contact name and number

I'll take Shoe Repair and Barca, since I've already contacted them.

Anybody want to buy out the Wild Rose? :winky:

Heh. I was thinking of buying out The Cuff. They have big monitors for videos/video gaming, as well as monitors above the bar. We could buy out the dog run, patio, and lower portion. :-D Still, 21+, and those areas aren't very wheelchair accessible unless we can open up the dog run gate as they do for the Pride sidewalk festival.

I'll take Sun Liquor (since I have already started that line), and I'll contact FRED if courtneyj hasn't done so yet.

TheMisanthrope on
  • courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular
    Nope, feel free to contact them.

Inquired.

Also, when asking about catering, don't forget to ask if they have a preferred caterer and will cut us a break if we use them.

Be warned that many places will actually charge more for the space if you want to use their in-house catering. It equates to an on-site kitchen rental fee.

Oh totally. I asked if there was an additional rental fee for using their kitchen with a caterer. If we go the catering route over the food truck/BBQ route, its a good inquiry to see if there is a budget package deal of space+caterer as opposed to separate contracts/deals.

• beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Heh. I was thinking of buying out The Cuff

There is no way in hell I would miss that. Let's get our Bears on!

UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack

I'll totally ask. I know that most Thursdays, the downstairs doesn't open until 8-ish anyways for Beareoke. So, it may actually be feasible. :-D

Also, mmmm...bears.

edited May 2012

I'll totally ask. I know that most Thursdays, the downstairs doesn't open until 8-ish anyways for Beareoke. So, it may actually be feasible. :-D

Also, mmmm...bears.

Wut?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Lost22Lost22 Registered User new member
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Wut?

Bears is the new slang word for beers these days. Where have you been?

Also, mmmm...bears.

Wut?

Bears! (NSFW, language...borderline visual content)

Grrrrrrrr.

Also, mmmm...bears.

Wut?

Bears! (NSFW, language...borderline visual content)

Grrrrrrrr.

Puts a new spin on:

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited May 2012
    So I ran the numbers on Seasoned in Seattle, and once you add up all the ala-carte prices plus labor, their pricing is about on par with the rest of the caterers around: $3.50 labor + $4 entree + $3 starch side + $3 veggie side +$3 salad + $1.17 tax + $1.30 gratutity = $18.97.

After talking to a lot of caterers and restaurant owners over the past two weeks, and after looking at the price point for the PPD at East this year, I'm going to go on a limb here and say that unless someone can find a buddy who will cater the dinner at Cost, we're probably looking at $18-$25 per ticket for anything except frozen lasagna, and nobody in Stuffy Seattle will serve frozen lasagna, as the profit margin is too slim. For the record, I don't think that $25 per ticket is a problem but again, it's Seattle. I'm sure someone will be loudly unappy if we don't meet last year's price point.

THAT SAID, I've got some calls out to the Art Institute, where I know someone on the staff, and to the SCCC culinary school, where I know no one on the staff. Perhaps the students would give us a better rate.

OR - how about doing something really simple, like a burger bbq? Pay an ala carte caterer like the one above to come and set up a giant catering grill out front, and do burgers, dogs, etc... We could pick up sides, desserts and specialty stuff like gluten-free buns ourselves at the grocery store.

OR - how does everyone feel about the idea of Drop Off catering? We could pick it up and set it up ourselves, or have someone drop it off but the idea is that it's a no-service buffet. Platters and dishes are set out and we just serve ourselves.

(The folks I was hoping would do the pig roast don't have a food service permit, it turns out. Not okay for this event.)

LexiconGrrl on
    So I ran the numbers on Seasoned in Seattle, and once you add up all the ala-carte prices plus labor, their pricing is about on par with the rest of the caterers around: $3.50 labor + $4 entree + $3 starch side + $3 veggie side +$3 salad + $1.17 tax + $1.30 gratutity = $18.97.

After talking to a lot of caterers and restaurant owners over the past two weeks, and after looking at the price point for the PPD at East this year, I'm going to go on a limb here and say that unless someone can find a buddy who will cater the dinner at Cost, we're probably looking at $18-$25 per ticket for anything except frozen lasagna, and nobody in Stuffy Seattle will serve frozen lasagna, as the profit margin is too slim. For the record, I don't think that $25 per ticket is a problem but again, it's Seattle. I'm sure someone will be loudly unappy if we don't meet last year's price point.

THAT SAID, I've got some calls out to the Art Institute, where I know someone on the staff, and to the SCCC culinary school, where I know no one on the staff. Perhaps the students would give us a better rate.

OR - how about doing something really simple, like a burger bbq? Pay an ala carte caterer like the one above to come and set up a giant catering grill out front, and do burgers, dogs, etc... We could pick up sides, desserts and specialty stuff like gluten-free buns ourselves at the grocery store.

OR - how does everyone feel about the idea of Drop Off catering? We could pick it up and set it up ourselves, or have someone drop it off but the idea is that it's a no-service buffet. Platters and dishes are set out and we just serve ourselves.

(The folks I was hoping would do the pig roast don't have a food service permit, it turns out. Not okay for this event.)

I was also thinking of the whole restaurant rental option and just ordering off the menu, but doing 120 checks at once is probably hell, and they'd be unwilling to split checks like that for such a big group...and I don't want to do the whole split-the-check-up thing.

I'm trying to think of alternatives right now...

We're gonna look at restaurants this weekend but I think the Elysian is the only place big enough. Did I miss somewhere? We could always get Neighbors...

It comes down to how important is that $5 difference in ticket prices. Maybe we're overthinking it? We can get catering for around $18 per person easily, plus if we get a rental space (not if we got Barca, it's free) then it works out to around another $2 per person. That would hit the $20-$25 price point depending on the specifics.

For 120 people? There is the Neighbors above ground back area, I've seen rented out. Also, the below section.

The Cuff, easily.

I'd be curious about The Highline, or renting out part of the Canterbury? I don't think we could close down Quinns or Smith. Liberty Bar's back room (as well as Charlies' back room) seems a bit small for that.

120 is a sizable number. I'll go inquire at Daddy Jeff tonight for The Cuff, as that could easily hold 120. The Cuff's contact link is broken right now, so I'll go in person over at Doghouse. I think he's been there quite often.

For the record, I don't think that $25 per ticket is a problem but again, it's Seattle. I'm sure someone will be loudly unappy if we don't meet last year's price point.
    If that's after total costs then that is perfectly reasonable. Last year's ticket price was an anomaly due to Barca being free and Beta having a buddy do the catering and we shouldn't beat ourselves up trying to meet it.

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited May 2012
    Dude, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Quinn's. We could close it down if you and @TOGSolid pay for the ticket difference! :lol:

Three Words: Foie Gras and Frites

LexiconGrrl on
    Dude, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Quinn's. We could close it down if you and @TOGSolid pay for the ticket difference! :lol:

Wait, what is my wallet being volunteered for?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular

Wait, what is my wallet being volunteered for?

Actually that makes a good point, personally (IMHO, having planned a few things before) I'd build in some extra cost for "shrink" as it were. $1/ticket or somesuch. Worst case scenerio you don't need it and can Donate it to Child's Play or what have you.

Three Words: Foie Gras and Frites

My two words are bone marrow. OMG, so good.

I don't have the money to pay the difference, unless I got a roommate that could pay more than half rent. :-D

My two words are bone marrow. OMG, so good.

inorite!? I get a pavlovian response now every time I see a beef bone since I had it there.

Yeah, it seems like $20 is kind of a dream at this point.

Why is Barca free? Because of the no-host bar?

Is there a restaurant we could just buy out for the night? Problem is, it's Thursday night and Thursday is usually a decent night for sales. I've got numbers from my friend but I think they may be a little high. I could probably talk him lower if we go with him and use Barca. He was talking buffet with salad, pasta station, MEAT.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

vespachica wrote: »
    Why is Barca free? Because of the no-host bar?

We don't have confirmed freeness for them this year yet but last year they basically gave us the mezzanine in exchange for drink sales. Plus they comp'ed us free fountain drinks. The downside is that it's neither all-ages, nor is it wheelchair accessible.

(After meeting @FacelessCog at East this year, and reading about all the folks under 21 who are coming to PAX, my personal mission is to try to get an all-inclusive dinner this year if at all possible.)

So, I just got a tip that Melrose Market Studios allows for rentals and also have a formal relationship with a lot of caterers. Their space is rather large (5000 sq ft), and their prices seem expensive on a Thursday ($1500 for All-Day). BUT, I dunno if that means that because we're only going to need it for 4 hours (including set-up and take down), that we'd get it for less. Also, I don't think they have a bar set up.

@LexiconGrrl would you like to contact them, or should I? I figure if you contacted them, since they have relationships with caterers and you've been talking with catering companies, you could. It's just another option.

edited May 2012
    They're pretty far outside of the area - but I can give them a call in the interest of info gathering, sure!

I'm still hot for Shoe Repair as an option.

LexiconGrrl on
    I agree, Shoe Repair is a hot option. It's my favorite so far.

But, I figured Melrose Market (Melrose btw Pike and Pine) was a decent spot since its right next to the convention center for the ones who can't get into TWDT, and its in between for people trying to get to TWDT.

But $1500 for space rental AND catering AND possibly linen/plates/silver rentals? And maybe bar? It'd be awesome if it included the rentals.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

Oh, also, the person I know who was at Hard Rock quit 3 months ago. She gave me the name/number of someone to call and I'm hoping I can name drop and get a good rate but I'm not very hopeful. I'll try to call today. I've been battling a head cold and feel like I've been run over.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

That can't possibly be right. Caterers price based on number of servings, and their website doesn't say anything about how many people that covers. I think that's just space rental and maybe banquet rental (tables, chairs, linens, etc).

This discussion has been closed.