As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[macOS] Sierra is Online. "Hey Siri, I need to get rid of a body."

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    If only someone made Ninite for MacOS

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Handbrake - for ripping your DVDs

And transcoding pretty much any video format. Great for making iPhone/iPad compatible video files.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Handbrake - for [strike]ripping your DVDs[/strike]anything video-conversion related

:wink:

[ed] Curse you, incident!

iTunesIsEvil on
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    If you take notes I really like Evernote since I can take notes on my laptop and then access them anywhere via Evernote's website or via my phone or whatever.

• FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    lots of suggestions! I'll have to check them out tonight after work :)
    so far I've done a lot of essential stuff for my workflow
    IM - Adium
    Twitter - Echofon (seems the nicest so far)
    still using textedit so far since I don't code but we'll see
    web - Firefox is set up and synched with my other machines
    e-mail - I use thunderbird with lightning for work e-mail as well as personal gmail and calendaring, works great for me
    and lots of assorted other stuff, dropbox, alfred, bootchamp, office 2011, and I'm sure stuff I'm forgetting.

We'll see what else I install tonight :)
    The Main thing is I finally figured out how to move the system menu bar and dock over to my secondary display when it's plugged in to the big 24inch monitor at my office, apple really hides the fact that you can drag that menu bar over onto the second screen from the displays menu!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    floobie wrote: »
    - unrarx (opens .rar files)

I recommend The Unarchiver instead - same deal, more formats, and it's fast. Faster than the native zip support.

edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
    oh nice, great recommendation, gonna grab that for sure

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited May 2012
    so on occasion I need to burn a DVD with a external burner that I have and one such occasion just came up. any recommended programs to burn cd images with?
    edit - durr i can just use disk utility

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    so whats the best IRC client out there these days?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

I've always been a fan of Colloquy, but their website seems to be down ATM for some reason.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited May 2012

I like Linkinus.

Colloquy for my second choice since it's free.

Echo on
    So, which package do you guys recommend for Latex in OS X? I looked at MacTeX, but 1.8 gigs just for Latex? Really?

• Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    So, which package do you guys recommend for Latex in OS X? I looked at MacTeX, but 1.8 gigs just for Latex? Really?

I use TexShop.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Next time I turn on my desktop I'll double check which one it is that I use.

edited May 2012
    Oh, and I'm just looking for the latex binaries to use together with pandoc, not interested in fancy editors.

edit: haha, did a "brew search tex".
    If you meant `tex' precisely:

Installing TeX from source is weird and gross, requires a lot of patches,
    and only builds 32-bit (and thus can't use Homebrew deps on Snow Leopard.)

Echo on
    any recommendations on a good/free basic picture editor?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited May 2012
    Good: Pixelmator. I think it beats Photoshop in certain areas. 30 dollars.

Free: dunno.

Echo on
    30 dollars, this is a work machine! :p
    it has a 30 day trial though so i guess that'll do in a pinch

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Mostly HarmlessMostly Harmless Registered User regular
    +1 for Pixelmator. Acorn is apparently also very good. Both cost money though.

If you must have free, there's always the Mac port of the GIMP (via X11), or the simpler (and possibly now neglected) Seashore.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    jesus fuck Echo your avatar

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    jesus fuck Echo your avatar

I was gonna say that

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Does anybody know a good precompiled version of Wine? I would also spend $ on it, if it is on the app store.

edit:
    Well it appears that wineskins does an exellent job.

Dratatoo on
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Why precompiled? Macports is pretty easy way to get Wine working.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Well. I thought that the default output of a compiled version from source is the X11 server, which might not have a good performance on OSX. But Wineskins works very well for me and has a good developed community which provides settings and wrappers for various games. (Still no music in Drakan :( )

Dratatoo on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I need some new dock icons. Anyone want to point me in the right direction?

• DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    Well. I thought that the default output of a compiled version from source is the X11 server, which might not have a good performance on OSX. But Wineskins works very well for me and has a good developed community which provides settings and wrappers for various games. (Still no music in Drakan :( )

Whatever works for you, X11 can be annoying so if you can get around it that is awesome. I actually never heard of wineskin, after looking it up it sounds awesome and free (which is a plus). Considering what it does it sounds like a good replacement for regular wine. Personally unless there is a very good reason I always try my best to get people not to pay for wine which seems silly to me. But that's not what this is.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    I need some new dock icons. Anyone want to point me in the right direction?

Does this count?

So, these icons, are in PNG format. When I put them where they should be, they just show up as a generic PNG file when displayed.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    So I've got my 2003 eMac sitting in my closet with a dead HDD. That thing's not a whole lot of fun to open up and work on, so I won't until I have a reason to, which is why I'm here.

Can you guys think of any purpose for a PowerPC Mac these days?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So I've got my 2003 eMac sitting in my closet with a dead HDD. That thing's not a whole lot of fun to open up and work on, so I won't until I have a reason to, which is why I'm here.

Can you guys think of any purpose for a PowerPC Mac these days?
    File server. Firewall/Router/NAS Appliance if you add some extra hardware.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    Ugh, really wish I had stuck with Snow Leopard. Every time a point update releases I have network issues. Last time I had to downgrade the firmware on my airport express.

I swear it feels like I'm on dial-up sometimes. I can barely get youtube videos to play at 360p without stuttering. How frustrating.

FU7kFbw.png
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Ugh, really wish I had stuck with Snow Leopard. Every time a point update releases I have network issues. Last time I had to downgrade the firmware on my airport express.

I swear it feels like I'm on dial-up sometimes. I can barely get youtube videos to play at 360p without stuttering. How frustrating.
    Seriously? That's so bizarre.

I'm on Lion here, and I am routinely able to knock out a 150/50 Mbit speed test...

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited May 2012
    syndalis wrote: »

Seriously? That's so bizarre.

I'm on Lion here, and I am routinely able to knock out a 150/50 Mbit speed test...

When trying to download the Diablo 3 stater edition the download speed would start around 250kb/s and then slowly count down by .1 or .2 until it just bottomed out around 14kb/s

Switching the Wi-Fi off and then back on again up in the menu bar would improve things for ten minutes or so but then it'd go back to how it was before.

Reverting back to wi-fi drivers from 10.6 worked in the past, so I might have to do that again, assuming that the 10.7.4 update put the 10.7 drivers back in place.

Here's the link for that post for posterity.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    something that's been bugging me for a while. Is there anyway to tell Software Update to stop showing me updates? I'm so sick of seeing the HP Printer Driver and Digital Camera Raw something something updates. I don't have any need for either one of those two items but every time it pops and tries to get me to update.

• QuantuxQuantux Registered User regular
    30 dollars, this is a work machine! :p
    it has a 30 day trial though so i guess that'll do in a pinch

If your needs are basic, I have been liking Seashore. It's based off the GIMP and does the simple tasks I need it to. I've been using iPhoto for RAW conversion, but Rawtherapee is available and its always been a solid performer for me on Linux. I've also really been impressed with HDRtist, it's been the one HDR tool that I can compare with CS5 and it's extremely easy to use.

All are free, Seashore and HDRtist should be available in the app store.

PSN/Steam - Quantux

Esh wrote: »
    So, these icons, are in PNG format. When I put them where they should be, they just show up as a generic PNG file when displayed.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening? Using Candybar doesn't work either.

DS1_image_text-500x230.jpg

Neat thunderbolt dock.

FU7kFbw.png