As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Wars: [Phalla]nce in the Force - Sith Empire(mafia) Are Victorious

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    This is only speculation. We have no way of knowing at this point and the only way is to go through with it. I'd rather give it a shot then dismiss it out of hand cause of boogeyman powers that may or may not exist.

Yes yes, let's just assume that the game is grossly imbalanced and collect our victory rapidly!

The host has still refused to answer that thralls/millers question, btw.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/23019599#Comment_23019599

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    What order does the narration take place? Namely, if a jedi that is being killed that night is on a mission that is successfully completed, do they have a chance of getting the power from that planet?

Because that could screw us over big time if one of us gets a power, only to be ganked shortly before being able to use it.

• AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    Wait. Where did the panda wants stopping missions thing come from?

Stupid iPad
    Padawans

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    AkimboLegs wrote: »
    Wait. Where did the panda wants stopping missions thing come from?

One of the padawan powers is that they can roleblock, I assume?

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Except the planet payouts aren't definite. If the Jedi take a planet, and the wrong Jedi gets the power, then it's just as bad as any surmised false postive.
    There is no such thing as "the wrong Jedi".
    When a planet is taken by the Jedi, a random Jedi-aligned Knight who helped take control of the planet that night will be given the planet's power to control. When a planet is taken by the Sith, the Sith Infiltrators as a whole will decide how to use its power.

Beat me to it.

As a host of somewhat complicated games, I am really annoyed when people tunnelvision when the host tries to reasonably lay things out for you.

An entire planet subgame provided by the host? Oh, I'm sure it is expected to just ignore that.

Everyone given a seer? I'm sure the host wants us to break the game right away! What could go wrong (IGNORE HOST CLARIFICATIONS IGNORE)

I am pretty sure if this was my game I'd be /facepalming already.

OrokosPA.png
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Additionally, Padawans will not be able to block missions tonight. Tomorrow, yes, but not tonight.

Care to elaborate on this?

Padawans have a chargeable roleblock. It takes a night to charge.
    Except the planet payouts aren't definite. If the Jedi take a planet, and the wrong Jedi gets the power, then it's just as bad as any surmised false postive.
    There is no such thing as "the wrong Jedi".
    When a planet is taken by the Jedi, a random Jedi-aligned Knight who helped take control of the planet that night will be given the planet's power to control. When a planet is taken by the Sith, the Sith Infiltrators as a whole will decide how to use its power.

I did not read that closely, my mistake.

Don't mistake my persistence in the issue for close-mindness. I understand the planet game is there and will be played. It was asked how we planned to do what we planned and I explained. We're now discussing the pros and cons of said plan.

I feel that people saying meditations are useless is a dangerous thing to say. Nor do I expect everything to be handed to us on a platter because of it. I just want options to be kept open and those trying to shut down dissent bear looking into.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    What happens if my knight wont talk to me? Is there a council funded youngling support line I can call?

Bedlam wrote: »
    What happens if my knight wont talk to me? Is there a council funded youngling support line I can call?

I can take you in! Though your powers would not be usable on me, I am sure.

We aren't saying meditations are useless.
    We are saying organized meditations are highly vulnerable to clever sith kachinations that we cannot fully fathom, as their abilities are unknown.

And that they almost certainly have ways of deflating them.

Yeah theres no way half the village gets a seer without a way to counter it.

And surely SURELY the knights who control planets will get even better powers than what they started with. Of course the power to control a planet is insignifficant compared to the power of the force...

We aren't saying meditations are useless.
    We are saying organized meditations are highly vulnerable to clever sith kachinations that we cannot fully fathom, as their abilities are unknown.

Underestimating a foe is the first step on the road to defeat.
    You are right to warn others to be wary of the Sith, for they are nothing if not cunning

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    My Padawan isn't responding, and has been online. What has this galaxy come to?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

Obviously, they're both at their secret Sith meeting.

Now I feel like a cranky old Jedi master who needs a space nap.

Hail Hydra
    we have a set of tools that need to be used properly to get the intended results. There's also plenty of rope to hang ourselves with.

Yeah, that seems an apt assessment of my games.

Most will (a) have fun and (b) not get anywhere just coasting. Always has a few that are just lost though.

OrokosPA.png
    38thDoe wrote: »
    My Padawan isn't responding, and has been online. What has this galaxy come to?
    If dogs and cats can learn to love there may be hope for us yet.

So let's say that we later feel that the "order every player in the game" thing is a Sith ploy to have the Jedi give up all control of the planets, and was supported by Sith on the council.

What recourse do we have? If we want to rid the council of X, we can't vote X out. Can the council vote out one of their own? Or am I missing something.

I guess more simply: How do we remove a suspected Sith from the council, period?

OrokosPA.png
    We can get the game down to 20 players and then the council dissolves :)

Infidel wrote: »
    So let's say that we later feel that the "order every player in the game" thing is a Sith ploy to have the Jedi give up all control of the planets, and was supported by Sith on the council.

What recourse do we have? If we want to rid the council of X, we can't vote X out. Can the council vote out one of their own? Or am I missing something.

I guess more simply: How do we remove a suspected Sith from the council, period?

It would appear that one recouse would be to hopefully get a vig ability from a planet, and pray that it can be used against council members. the secret would be to discover one, and then out them to the right pepople so as not to totally invalidate the power if the sith have blocking abilities in place

Or lose Coruscant, or go snag your planets and get your vig on.

Hail Hydra
    We can get the game down to 20 players and then the council dissolves :)

If there are Sith on the council that whole time I don't think it would be to our advantage when we hit sub-20. :rotate:

OrokosPA.png
    It would appear that one recouse would be to hopefully get a vig ability from a planet, and pray that it can be used against council members. the secret would be to discover one, and then out them to the right pepople so as not to totally invalidate the power if the sith have blocking abilities in place

Good plan, except when someone gets a planet power, they're known. And any Padawan can block with enough prep time.

Hail Hydra
  • MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular

Good plan, except when someone gets a planet power, they're known.

How's that? It's randomly assigned. I wasn't aware that it was also publicly revealed.

Good plan, except when someone gets a planet power, they're known. And any Padawan can block with enough prep time.

Ah crap, is that for real? I figured he would just PM someone if they gained a power. But with enough padawans, I guess you could feasibly block an entire away team if they're mentioned in narration.

Oh, so the verified Knight that gets the power is also revealed, so publicly verified?

That's handy and annoying at the same time. Confirmed special that is probably going to get fucked.

OrokosPA.png
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Oh, so the verified Knight that gets the power is also revealed, so publicly verified?

That's handy and annoying at the same time. Confirmed special that is probably going to get fucked.

Does the Knight who gets a planetary power get publicly revealed?

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I would suggest going after two planets tonight with our knights. No support from the Padawans. See what the counter for the influence is after all is done.

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    I would suggest going after two planets tonight with our knights. No support from the Padawans. See what the counter for the influence is after all is done.

Why? So they should all train?

If we announce which planets we are going after the sith can just go after the uncontested planets and hope thier powers are better than ours.

I like the small strike team idea rather than the big list of everybody does this thing.

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I think we should take a page from the Jedi handbook, which I happen to have being a padawan and all, Balance is our way. We should not focus on either ability too much but should work them all into our plan. Only Doth deal in absolutes.

• FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    My preference is small strike teams that report to a Master what their activities have wrought. For the first night or two, I'd prefer the strike teams to pick their own actions. Having a giant list of what actions will be taken that every council member knows will only lead to the Sith Masters looking over that list and cherrypicking who to interfere with and how.

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    So do we want to go with a pod system (divide into subgroups of about five), or go with an organized-but-random system (create RNG tables for players to roll on, rolls determine action)? I don't know if there's a failproof way of obtaining control of specific planets without the Sith being able to interfere.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    What order does the narration take place? Namely, if a jedi that is being killed that night is on a mission that is successfully completed, do they have a chance of getting the power from that planet?

Because that could screw us over big time if one of us gets a power, only to be ganked shortly before being able to use it.

If a Jedi-aligned Knight gets a power from a planet takeover and then dies at any point in the future, the power will carry on to a RNG Jedi-aligned Knight chosen from a pool of Knights that were on a mission that night to that planet with the original Knight. If that condition fails, then it will carry on to a RNG Jedi-aligned Knight chosen from a pool of Knights that have ever been on a mission to that planet. If that condition fails, then it will carry on to a RNG Jedi-aligned Knight chosen from all Jedi-aligned Knights. If there are no Knights, no one gets the power.

ObiFett on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular

I will be your knight

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Capfalcon wrote: »

Does the Knight who gets a planetary power get publicly revealed?

No

• FecklessRogueFecklessRogue Registered User regular
    I like subgroups of 3-4 knights, which thus includes their Padawans (making it 6-8). As the Padawans don't need to know the target for their abilities to work, I think it makes sense to keep them in the dark on the current action until such time as they are reasonably confirmed and/or their Knight dies and they take over for them. Helps prevent shenanigans, even if it is a jerk move.

Biggest jerk move suggested by the smelliest rhino

PADWANS ARE PEOPLE TOO!

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Capfalcon wrote: »

Why? So they should all train?

Yes. Also, without the padawan support, we should have a simple count for values. Smaller numbers are easier to determine the causes of perturbations than with large numbers.