As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xenoblade Chronicles X] looks to be a pretty good game.

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I had to level up to 92 and find better equipment to beat the game. New game plus is very easy.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    Ive kept with Shulk Reyn Sharla. like my holy trinity team for any hard fight.. I have missed a Unique back in
    Central Factory. A giant 4legged mechon that was lv 70 wrecked me everytime I tried to fight it in a few seconds.. TITAN STOMP!!. noooo

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Rubycat wrote: »
    Ive kept with Shulk Reyn Sharla. like my holy trinity team for any hard fight.. I have missed a Unique back in
    Central Factory. A giant 4legged mechon that was lv 70 wrecked me everytime I tried to fight it in a few seconds.. TITAN STOMP!!. noooo

I know it's too late now for that unique, probably; but it's actually easy to abuse. You can attack it from the upper platform as it walks by and it'll never use the Titan attack. You have to do some micromanaging to make sure no one runs down below to his feet as that'll cause him to start using it. Reyn is the worst about running down there, so control him. Shulk won't try to get behind it and Sharla will stick near-ish to you for healing. Just periodically do a "come here" command if it looks like one is heading that way, and keep going.

Sure, it's abusing the terrain, but short of going out of your way to level outside of that area (which isn't that bad honestly. go back to colony 9, kill the pirhanas for awhile, them move up to the flammi. 70-71 you can move to the Windy Cave in the Leg to go to 73-74; then you can move to either the Hox on the platforms on the Leg or to the uh...big ape things who's names I can't recall to the mid-upper 70's); it's the only way to reasonably do it at the level you'll likely be at during that part.

I mean, up to then I had done everything possible, side-quest wise, and I was only 67; and I killed it at 67.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Man, that unique turned out to be not that bad. At least not anywhere the fury his little brother in Sword valley was. I was expecting more pain and it was pretty manageable.

Maybe I cheated though? I first saw him at 65, said "screw that", and came back after I was done the next zone, where I was lv70 and on more equal terms.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Man, that unique turned out to be not that bad. At least not anywhere the fury his little brother in Sword valley was. I was expecting more pain and it was pretty manageable.

Maybe I cheated though? I first saw him at 65, said "screw that", and came back after I was done the next zone, where I was lv70 and on more equal terms.

You get one last chance to pass near him, so I see nothing wrong with telling yourself that he was meant to be put off until then.

I recently managed to take down two uniques at once that had been placed way closer than they probably should have been. A level 72 and a level 75, and I was 75 myself. Annoyingly, just when the 72 was about to die, the game's targeting system decided to bug out on me. Or at least that's what I thought at the time, thinking about it it might have been a lock-on that I just never noticed. In any case, I basically brought a unique to near death and then had to bring another one to low health as well while the one I just didn't finish killing whaled on me the whole time.

I also had an interesting fight against a unique that decided to start regenerating. I was using Dunban, Seventh, and Sharla, and managed to take the damn thing down to a third of its health multiple times before eventually just giving up, running away, and coming back with Monado Purge. And then I killed him before he even started to regenerate, which was annoying.

Edit: And thinking about it, Dunban has an ability for exactly that situation. I dropped it from my bar a long time ago, though. Maybe I should ditch the break ability instead, since I have other people who can do that currently.

jothki on
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    How do I build affinity more quickly? I want to do more H2H (though most of them are locked) but it seems nearly impossible to increase affinity without constantly rotating members (which isn't so grand since some combos just don't work well) and grinding until I'm blue in the face.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Gifting collectables until you're blue in the face.

• MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    How does one do that? I've never seen it appear as an option.

Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Actually, how does that work? I'm looking at the Spreadsheet but I'm not sure I'm reading it correctly.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    go to your items menu, then collectable tab, then click on the items and you can gift.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So i got this game last week or so and it is fun. I'm in Satorl Marsh right now.
    How does one do that? I've never seen it appear as an option.
    Yes, I thought I might be able to do that but, the game gave no indication I was allowed to yet, much like you can't start gem crafting until such and such a point. Turns out you could do it all along.

I wish I could turn off XP gain. I'm already level 30, and while I don't mind scrounging up awesome gear in unlikely places, overleveling always seems to make things less fun. I was so stoked when I beat one of the level 32 torta's in Bionis' Leg at 27. And then when I beat the level 32 Unique at the altar a couple levels later.

That unique Igna at the fortress in the marsh can DIAF though. I cannot get him to not destroy me.

Also, I made a great big frowny face when a unique in the marsh dropped a rifle that was objectively worse in every measure than the rifle I had just obtained as (I assume) a guaranteed reward from finishing the Ether Mine part of the story. Unless it's possible for a dude before there to drop it, which I doubt.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Can't get rid of said story rifle but it'll have rifles that outpace it in certain stats in the next zone I believe.

Oh shit, what do you mean nothing is better than Shulk's story given story weapon from thirty minutes into the game????

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    There's a weapon you can snag for Reyn that is legit baws for a good chunk of the early-ish midgame, but curse me if I can remember what it's called.

It basically looks like a rock on a stick though.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
    Well, for me it was for more than 30 minutes, but then I collected everything and did basically every quest.
    And yeah, it just always annoys me when an item is completely useless. I could understand if it excelled in one respect, or if there was a way to not get Gadolt's Rifle. Hell at least there are no other weapons for Shulk. The Ain Rifle is just insulting.

steam_sig.png
    I ran the Carbon Driver for a good long time, and am currently rocking a Jaguar Lancer I think.

Also, the left side of Dunban's skill tree kind of scares me.

steam_sig.png
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Finally got the last party member.
    Not exactly surprised! That said, if I knew that Fiora was going to rejoin later, it would have seriously reduced the impact of the Colony 9 events and basically everything up until you see her again. I like her skillset, so it looks like I'll be using her just as much as everyone else.
    Also, I'm not sure if I'm just really bad at this game, or if it's because I'm basically avoiding every single enemy that I don't have to fight for a quest, but I've finished the vast majority of the quests that are available at this point, and yet don't feel all that overleveled. Sure, most random dudes don't even aggro on me, but several of the last few uniques I've seen gave me some trouble, as did one of the storyline battles. I didn't die in that battle, but it was pretty dangerous, and I was using my A-Team.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    How do I build affinity more quickly? I want to do more H2H (though most of them are locked) but it seems nearly impossible to increase affinity without constantly rotating members (which isn't so grand since some combos just don't work well) and grinding until I'm blue in the face.

Party make-up outside of combat is important, too. Most of my affinity gains are seeming to come from the mini-conversations the team has while getting/turning in quests.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    I ran the Carbon Driver for a good long time, and am currently rocking a Jaguar Lancer I think.

Dynaster. I think I remember now, I believe I tricked out Reyn with it all the way up until Valak Mountains, and somewhere around there I decided I'd give Dun-Dun a shot. Man, I haven't even finished his third skill tree yet, better get on that...
    Not exactly surprised! That said, if I knew that Fiora was going to rejoin later, it would have seriously reduced the impact of the Colony 9 events and basically everything up until you see her again. I like her skillset, so it looks like I'll be using her just as much as everyone else.
    Also, I'm not sure if I'm just really bad at this game, or if it's because I'm basically avoiding every single enemy that I don't have to fight for a quest, but I've finished the vast majority of the quests that are available at this point, and yet don't feel all that overleveled. Sure, most random dudes don't even aggro on me, but several of the last few uniques I've seen gave me some trouble, as did one of the storyline battles. I didn't die in that battle, but it was pretty dangerous, and I was using my A-Team.

You can make the game a bit harder on yourself by doing all the quests, but not bothering with the various intricacies of combat. You're sooner or later gonna run into something that uses a very special strategy to whoop your ass, and you're gonna have to resort to wily schemes yourself to counter the bastard, but up until that point comes the best challenge you can give yourself (well, in my opinion) is to try and not get too involved with how combat actually works.

Zephiran wrote: »

Dynaster. I think I remember now, I believe I tricked out Reyn with it all the way up until Valak Mountains, and somewhere around there I decided I'd give Dun-Dun a shot. Man, I haven't even finished his third skill tree yet, better get on that...

You can make the game a bit harder on yourself by doing all the quests, but not bothering with the various intricacies of combat. You're sooner or later gonna run into something that uses a very special strategy to whoop your ass, and you're gonna have to resort to wily schemes yourself to counter the bastard, but up until that point comes the best challenge you can give yourself (well, in my opinion) is to try and not get too involved with how combat actually works.
    Oooh I have a Dynastrar. Got it off that lvl 32 unique spider at the altar in Bionis Leg. I was considering using it but I don't remember why I didn't. Not enough gem slots or something. I'm having aggro problems with Reyn at the moment. But maybe that's just because Reckless Godwin is a horrible horrible tool.

steam_sig.png
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote:

I like to think that I understand combat pretty well, though. The only thing that catches me off guard is spikes, which has been a problem rarely enough that I haven't bothered to totally soup up my resistance to it. I assume that'll be more necessary later on.

Maybe I would have been better off if I just didn't use these Anti-Mechon weapons. Not having to give a shit about mechon is nice and all, but I had Shulk in my group anyway, and my stats went so far down. Not to mention the loss of gems (except for Reyn, who is abusing the shit out of Unadorned Beauty).

Anyways, not exactly complaining. I like keeping up with the quests and I also like that the game hasn't gotten completely braindead easy (yet).

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So I beat that level 90 UM at Spiral Valley for the first time. :)

Also started to
    upgrade Colony 6 with the items I purposely collected in my first playthrough and it turns out I'm short of three Leomonade Sky and 2 Piranhax Fishmeal. I was so sure I had everything I needed.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    so this game is being sold with a classic controller, does it really need it? I have a wavebird.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Big Isy wrote: »
    so this game is being sold with a classic controller, does it really need it? I have a wavebird.

A GC controller won't work, your options are either Wiimote + Nunchuck or Classic Controller.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    eh, i'll manage with the wiimote + nunchuck. I have way too many plastic bits and bobs laying around.

It really is no big deal either way, there are some benefits and drawbacks to either control method, with neither being decidedly outclassed by the other once you get the hang of it.

• FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Two weeks ago I snorted a mountain of Xenoblade and I'm just now waking up from the binge.

Xenoblade and Radiant Historia restoring my faith in Japanese game developers. Also anyone who uses Sharla is a tiny baby. Just saying.

BABIES

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited May 2012
    So I'm nearing the end of the game; all my mans are level 76 atm; but virtually all of the quests I have are for enemies 90+.

I guess I'm supposed to continue the main story area(s) to bridge the gap level wise?

If you know what point you can get these high level quests, you know where I am in the game, so question for those people who know:
    If I continue to the Bionis Interior, is there an obvious point of no return? I assume I can just come and go still, easily? One quest I have requires items found on Prison Island; so is it safe to assume I can also come and go from there, also? While I ended up getting everything I could out of the Mechonis areas, including uniques, quests, etc; I was a little disappointed that someone in the past told me I could go back to those areas besides sword valley/Galahad Fortress, but now, obviously, I can't go back to any of those areas, post Core. I mean, I don't need to, but had I put off a lot of things because someone advised me otherwise, I would have been pretty pissed.

I just dont want to stop and grind only to find out I would have made up the difference anyway.

The Dude With Herpes on

• RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    Since I was already in the same position.
    The Point of no return happens near the top of prison island. you are asked if you want to continue onwards once you activate the transporter. I basically saved before I made the transporter show up just incase.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
    Ah, ok, cool; so basically the rest of the game is a free for all then, until that one point.

Xenoblade's hell of a drug.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So I ordered that Goldeneye bundle mostly for the Gold Classic Controller Pro (had to get one that matched my wiimote! :D). I gotta say, sooooo much better than the regular classic controller for this game. Played it a bunch tonight and it's just so much more comfortable. Keep hitting the wrong triggers though :)

BTW, post Agniratha:
    Are all those areas really locked out for good? Game did kind of a shitty job letting you know. I *think* I did everything in most of them but I'm not sure about all of Central Factory's UMs :( Also I hope there are places to get Agniratha's items... took me forever just to get all the damn grape things for that quest, I hope I don't need more later because I have none now.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    So I ordered that Goldeneye bundle mostly for the Gold Classic Controller Pro (had to get one that matched my wiimote! :D). I gotta say, sooooo much better than the regular classic controller for this game. Played it a bunch tonight and it's just so much more comfortable. Keep hitting the wrong triggers though :)

BTW, post Agniratha:
    Are all those areas really locked out for good? Game did kind of a shitty job letting you know. I *think* I did everything in most of them but I'm not sure about all of Central Factory's UMs :( Also I hope there are places to get Agniratha's items... took me forever just to get all the damn grape things for that quest, I hope I don't need more later because I have none now.
    I'm pretty sure you need some of them for a quest, but yes you can trade. I was trying to do all the quests, got up to one after Central Factory that needed an item from a locked-out area, and was very annoyed, but then I learnt about trading so it was OK.

Wait; there was a gold classic controller pro?

Damn, I would like something to match my Zelda controller. Though I doubt they'll ever make a gold nunchuck.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

Damn, I would like something to match my Zelda controller. Though I doubt they'll ever make a gold nunchuck.
    They did, actually.

But it was Japanese Nintendo Club only.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    Gaaahhh, stupid game. I started the Romantic Notions of Girl quest, and since Erik looks like a real dick, I was going to give the item to Andreas instead. However, I'd never talked to him apparently, and I'd already collected the Tephra Drop before I talked to him, so it won't give me his side of the quest. Goddamnit.

steam_sig.png
    Gaaahhh, stupid game. I started the Romantic Notions of Girl quest, and since Erik looks like a real dick, I was going to give the item to Andreas instead. However, I'd never talked to him apparently, and I'd already collected the Tephra Drop before I talked to him, so it won't give me his side of the quest. Goddamnit.

Yeah, I got fucked by the Walnut Grape/Bitter Kiwi quest.

Also, I hope there's a quest to clear that C9 Captain's name. I'm pretty sure that thing wasn't poisoned when I gave it to her. Fortunately the affinity drop didn't cause me to go below four stars.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    It's actually a predestined outcome, you get the drop no matter what you do.

Also, notice how that Nopon offered to polish the weapon she wanted you to get from the swamps with magical mystery juice?

Yeah.

edited May 2012
    Aha. No, I did not. That does give me a potential lead, though; I had naturally suspected that asshole Raoul. Thanks.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003O6FW6E/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

And yeah, a non-Japan-only nunchuck would be nice.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »
    It's actually a predestined outcome, you get the drop no matter what you do.

Also, notice how that Nopon offered to polish the weapon she wanted you to get from the swamps with magical mystery juice?

Yeah.

More to the point, you kind of had a vision of him keeling over dying from poison after getting grazed by it.

I gave her the shield. Useless bitch doesn't deserve a promotion over someone who's actually competant because I've done all her work for her.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif